DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

IndianHawk

Country flag
Drones+weapons+spares+support infra+training pilots+commission to uncle Sam. Still overpriced, but drones themselves aren't the only thing we are buying.

On another note, spending money on Reapers is stupid, when Avengers were on the table. Or were they?
Armed drones are not of much use for us because both china and Pakistan can easily shot them down.
They are only good for using against countries without air resistance .

What we need is maritime drones which can help in surveillance of massive indian Ocean at low cost with long endurance period .

IndianHawk

Country flag
What is funny that we are developing stealth UCAV but also at the same time importing normal UAV at the exorbitant price lol.
Sea gaurdian has proven endurance of more than 18 hrs for surveillance and it can drop and communicate with sonabuoys. It is going to be nightmare for chinese submarines in IOR.

That's a tremendous capability to have in absence of extra p8i or untill indian drones mature.

Killbot

Country flag
Sea gaurdian has proven endurance of more than 18 hrs for surveillance and it can drop and communicate with sonabuoys. It is going to be nightmare for chinese submarines in IOR.

That's a tremendous capability to have in absence of extra p8i or untill indian drones mature.
But as you pointed out, the rest of the reapers, IA and IAF ones are useless..

IndianHawk

Country flag
But as you pointed out, the rest of the reapers, IA and IAF ones are useless..
I think the govt is going to pool requirements of three services together.

Just like p8i was used against china in Himalayas. Similarly reaper will be utilised across three services .

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars The Agreements have been signed for manufacturing STANAG Level 2 & 3 add-on composite armour for the Wheeled Armoured Platform (WhAP). The WhAP has been tested in all terrains & has been deployed near the LAC since Sept 2020 to gain operational experience. It should be acquired soon.
EwGEBlDXYAIA8zU.jpeg
EwGEBkjWEAIdiC9.jpeg
EwGEBkuXAAMsmac.jpeg
EwGEBmJXMAAjt44.jpeg

Gandaberunda

Country flag
I think the govt is going to pool requirements of three services together.

Just like p8i was used against china in Himalayas. Similarly reaper will be utilised across three services .
This is the first tri service aquistion and made possible by the new CDS

Initially the IAF wanted precision strike capable armed predator drones , The Navy was after unarmed MQ9B surveillance drones and the army wanted armed drones in support configuration . All of them had their own requirements and demands

The time takes and cost of fulfilling all 3 with different products would be ludicrous , As such the CDS pshed for agreement between the 3 services , They found that Mq9B could do all of their required tasks up to an acceptable level and decided to try it out

In 2020 India leased 2 MQ9B's and each service got to examine and try its capabilties for themselves and with all service chiefs being please by its performance they agreed to go for a joint purchase .

As far as commonality bw training and maintainence and command goes then I don't know if you've heard yet but India is shifting to theatre commands where assets of different services will fall under a theatre commander and will be shared for greater operability

So in the North both army and AF's air assets will fall under "Air Defence " command and in South the Navy and AF's air assets will fall under "Maritime Command" or "Peninsula command" based in Karwar

SUPERPOWER

Country flag

Maharaj samudragupt

Kritant Parashu
Banned
Country flag

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Kestrel was matted Rheinmetall turret not sure why it didn't go through. Army wanted commonality with bmp turret?
More like they wanted a cheaper platform quickly without additional delays. More modern turret can be retrofitted later, right?
IMHO they want to quicly raise the capabilities of the Recce&Support Battalions which are key in the Integrated BattleGroups. Force Gurkha is being inducted, NAMICA is also being inducted, WhAP is the last platform, after which R&S Battalions will be fully modernized.

Maybe they plan to have FICV turret retrofitted on WhAP for commnality (whenever that program matures).

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
More like they wanted a cheaper platform quickly without additional delays. More modern turret can be retrofitted later, right?
IMHO they want to quicly raise the capabilities of the Recce&Support Battalions which are key in the Integrated BattleGroups. Force Gurkha is being inducted, NAMICA is also being inducted, WhAP is the last platform, after which R&S Battalions will be fully modernized.

Maybe they plan to have FICV turret retrofitted on WhAP for commnality (whenever that program matures).
It could be due to the calibre difference in the turrets main guns as BMP 2 turrets use the Soviet 30x165 mm rounds wheras these use 30x173mm rounds(ig).
Maybe they want commonality in the ammo?

Absolute

Country flag
Armed drones are not of much use for us because both china and Pakistan can easily shot them down.
They are only good for using against countries without air resistance .

What we need is maritime drones which can help in surveillance of massive indian Ocean at low cost with long endurance period .
Would the predator class of drones have sufficient IR signature to be targeted by IR guided missiles? I am asking this in context of the Zil truck mounted R-73 missiles recently exhibited by the airforce.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles