DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Sell ?!? Are you a capitalist ?

Aree hum kya chahte ? Azadi..
Capitalism se Azadi...

Eeesh..... so they let go of their own EO pod and went for a completely foreign one ? Our drone program doesn't inspire much confidence.
Sarkar capitalism se aazadi. To phir economy thread par jaroor ana.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Nah bro....I'll write about the subject that ignites the left's fascination : Mudi Bad & Mudi shud rejine

Shoot. I'll try my best to answer.

Chup Oggy. Oli kahan hai ? Nepal ?
Regarding the range of ramjet shell, there was a reference in the article that range of the ramjet shell could/will be 100 km, I am assuming this is under the assumption that the propellant will be doing the job of active propulsion which moves the shell forward over and above the kinetic energy it already possesses when it leaves the gun.

i thought original idea of desi ramjet shell was that the propellent ignition in the ramjet shell is supposed to reduce the drag by filling the vaccum in the wake of the shell during it's movement. This was supposed to increase the range by 15-30% with existing guns.

100 km idea is from the American developments what are ongoing to increase the range of 155 mm shell, they are also exploring ramjet along with increasing the calibre of the gun as well as having a relook at their BCMS.

is there a mixup or there is confirmation that desi ramjet shell is being designed with 100 km in mind?

porky_kicker

Country flag
Eeesh..... so they let go of their own EO pod and went for a completely foreign one ? Our drone program doesn't inspire much confidence.
IAF is involved heavily in the RUSTOM-2 program . They are setting the requirements and DRDO is just following it . I believe DRDO don't want to risk RUSTOM-2 buy by IAF. Possibly later on when DRDO EO pod matches the required capabilities they will include it in later production RUSTOM-2 UAVs. This is the standard modus operandi of DRDO.

Gautam Sarkar

Country flag
Sarkar capitalism se aazadi. To phir economy thread par jaroor ana.
Economy se kya matlab hain mera. Tax time pe ana chaihe bas.
Regarding the range of ramjet shell, there was a reference in the article that range of the ramjet shell could/will be 100 km, I am assuming this is under the assumption that the propellant will be doing the job of active propulsion which moves the shell forward over and above the kinetic energy it already possesses when it leaves the gun.

i thought original idea of desi ramjet shell was that the propellent ignition in the ramjet shell is supposed to reduce the drag by filling the vaccum in the wake of the shell during it's movement. This was supposed to increase the range by 15-30% with existing guns.

100 km idea is from the American developments what are ongoing to increase the range of 155 mm shell, they are also exploring ramjet along with increasing the calibre of the gun as well as having a relook at their BCMS.

is there a mixup or there is confirmation that desi ramjet shell is being designed with 100 km in mind?
For the bold part : That is the idea behind a base bleed artillery ammo. We already have those. We also have rocket assisted VLAP ammo, ATAGS did some firing of those during trials.

Yes the broader long term goal is to hit ~100km ranges with an artillery gun. At least it does look like that right now. They have taken some very conservative steps in propellant design. Mostly because its a very new project & they are trying to reduce risks as much as possible. They estimate that the current propellant will get you to 80-90km.

Once the ramjet & the guidance tech gets proven, the conservative choices in propellant can be reversed. There will be range and speed increase then. All this assuming the project gets an approval. Let's not forget we haven't cleared that hoop yet.

We contacted Lt. Gen. P R Shankar before publishing this article. Sent him a draft. He said he wouldn't comment on the draft as he is involved in the project & encouraged us to publish what we feel like.

Gautam Sarkar

Country flag
IAF is involved heavily in the RUSTOM-2 program . They are setting the requirements and DRDO is just following it . I believe DRDO don't want to risk RUSTOM-2 buy by IAF. Possibly later on when DRDO EO pod matches the required capabilities they will include it in later production RUSTOM-2 UAVs. This is the standard modus operandi of DRDO.
How much more time do you think DRDO will take with the Rustom-2 ? & when will weaponisation begin ?

With the recent flight, I would say another couple of years. At least the SANT & Dhruvastra being readied is assuring.

porky_kicker

Country flag
How much more time do you think DRDO will take with the Rustom-2 ? & when will weaponisation begin ?

With the recent flight, I would say another couple of years. At least the SANT & Dhruvastra being readied is assuring.
Can't say for sure

My guess is another 1 year for flight certification

Weaponized version is slated for later , its on low priority as of now , RUSTOM-2 main task is reconnaissance, surveillance and EW .

AFAIK RUSTOM-2 has a excellent EW suite including seperate EW pods for carriage underneath its wings.

Last edited:

FalconZero

Country flag
OT, why despite having Rustom 1 which tho was not top of the line but had very respectable spec sheet was not inducted by IA/IAF/IN? It had 12hrs of endurance, 200km+ range + 20k feet flight ceiling, by all intent and purposes it could have been a good surveillance drone for areas like in western parts of India, Indian navy, forests etc.
Why didn't DRDO try for TOT or JV with private vendors? It could have been very cheap alternative for us, then maybe private players could have built on top of that. It had i think major final trial in 2012 but no news about induction. Don't mind that if Private players wanted they could have proly found foreign customers for that too.
Rustom 2 is still in development trials while still limited to being a surveillance drone which is too little, too late in a way. Did MOD/Indian Armed Forces aimed for something too big that time, only to be disappointed?

porky_kicker

Country flag
OT, why despite having Rustom 1 which tho was not top of the line but had very respectable spec sheet was not inducted by IA/IAF/IN? It had 12hrs of endurance, 200km+ range + 20k feet flight ceiling, by all intent and purposes it could have been a good surveillance drone for areas like in western parts of India, Indian navy, forests etc.
Why didn't DRDO try for TOT or JV with private vendors? It could have been very cheap alternative for us, then maybe private players could have built on top of that. It had i think major final trial in 2012 but no news about induction. Don't mind that if Private players wanted they could have proly found foreign customers for that too.
Rustom 2 is still in development trials while still limited to being a surveillance drone which is too little, too late in a way. Did MOD/Indian Armed Forces aimed for something too big that time, only to be disappointed?
Our military is spoiled , they want only the best of the best preferably based on alien technology. I feel they try to copy the Israelis and the Americans.

Last edited:

Shashank Nayak

Country flag
Can't say for sure

My guess is another 1 year for flight certification

Weaponized version is slated for later , its on low priority as of now , RUSTOM-2 main task is reconnaissance, surveillance and EW .

AFAIK RUSTOM-2 has a excellent EW suite including seperate EW pods for carriage underneath its wings.
Its too big and lumbering to be used as UCAV.. Hope we come up with cheap ucavs like the turks..

porky_kicker

Country flag
Its too big and lumbering to be used as UCAV.. Hope we come up with cheap ucavs like the turks..
UAVs design are role specific

Mini / micro UAVs

Tactical UAVs

Strategic UAVs ( MALE / HALE )

RUSTOM-2 falls under strategic UAVs and can equally perform the role of UCAV if outfitted with the required capabilities.

Turk UAV capabilities are overblown , against a competent peer they will fall like flies. Most of sub systems are foreign and designed by foreign engineers. Turks pay more than 1 million dollars in salary that too tax free per person while offering to even hide their identity to poach top flight weapons engineers and scientists from the Western countries.

porky_kicker

Country flag
Most of the DRDO RF antennas for data link in one pic . There are others too , some of which I already posted.

A04.19.49.jpg

The one below is the CFD of a conformal RF antenna for data link under aerodynamic and own generated thermal load . This antenna is present in some of the DRDO ATGMs.

Ad5-04.35.21.jpg

Last edited:

porky_kicker

Country flag
View attachment 45387

What the heck are these 2 protrusions on ASTRA launcher ? There are in the forward facing direction ( launch direction of astra )

They must have some use , otherwise makes no sense to include them in a aerodynamically clean launcher design
Five months ago I had asked the question , recently I found the answer

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles