DRDO and PSU news and discussion

fire starter

Country flag
The final moments of the Nag Atgm just before it hit its target- a derelict Vijayanta in a top attack mode.

View attachment 63998

Now we need to place an order for around 100 Namica and deploy half of them in Eastern Ladakh. Namica can also be used in a bunker busting role at the LoC. The possibilities are endless. We need to induct this asap.
it's better to develop ground launched versions of dhruvastra and SANT.

Shashank Nayak

Country flag
So guys the snag was with the booster of nirbhay missile.....
Now rectified
So, no problem with the engine ? Was the test aborted inspite of the manik engine functioning successfully, as the altitude was all wrong ?

porky_kicker

Country flag
I did some digging around for clarification and I can confirm now Nag propulsion and Helina propulsion system working is different . There is no similarity.

So please ignore my previous post regarding Nag propulsion ( the information regarding Helina is correct though ). Sorry for the mistake.

In my defence DRDO presentation slide wrongly showed Nag labelled as Helina.

I will post the correct information later on .

kurup

Country flag
Maybe you got influenced by this

View attachment 63988

This is for display purpose only during parades , shows etc . Because Government thinks ordinary Indians are morons who if not shown the pointy nose sticking out of a launcher will consider it to be empty and not dangerous enough.

Reason why they do this with brahmos pinaka also

View attachment 63991

View attachment 63987

So if I were to use this logic does it mean , brahmos and pinaka rounds extends beyond their cannisters too.

The very purpose of a cannister round is to keep the missile inside in hermetically sealed , temperature controlled condition so as to prevent degradation of components of missiles during storage , operational deployment , ready to fire conditions etc . Cannistered missiles can last way beyond 10 years upto 30 years.

View attachment 63989

View attachment 63990

View attachment 63993

View attachment 63992

Refer the 4 pic's above. Shaurya is a cannistered missile fully enclosed and sealed tight. It doesn't extend beyond the cannister , I will guarantee it 110 %.

The holding arm is installed for the parade display purpose only. Refer the pic's below

View attachment 63996

View attachment 63992

There is no holding arm on the vehicle itself ( as seen in the shaurya tel in the parade show ) , but a rest mount is seen on the cannister launcher top most bracket itself.

For SMART they added in a mount to the shourya tel ( same as in parade display vehicle ) to hold the SMART missile above the cabin since the SMART missile extends beyond the cannister unlike shaurya missile.
Ok , the presence of holding arm is what caused the confusion .

Thanks for the clarification

porky_kicker

Country flag
Ok , the presence of holding arm is what caused the confusion .

Thanks for the clarification
Asking questions is what makes things interesting and increases clarity both for the one who asks and the one who answers.

Eg . I posted a hour ago something on nag which I later myself found out to be wrong . Important thing is later I found new information on how nag works which was unknown to me previously

Anyways I feel the holding arm ( in SMART / parade launcher ) is folding type and hydraulically elevated which allows it to be raised or lowered to the necessary resting postion as per need for different missiles . Its a small change but increases the flexibility of the launcher for use by even missiles with increased length .

Last edited:

ArgonPrime

Country flag
The final moments of the Nag Atgm just before it hit its target- a derelict Vijayanta in a top attack mode.

View attachment 63998

Now we need to place an order for around 100 Namica and deploy half of them in Eastern Ladakh. Namica can also be used in a bunker busting role at the LoC. The possibilities are endless. We need to induct this asap.
Nag for bunker-busting?? Don't you think that would be just too damn expensive?? I think Konkurs and Milans should be used for that role.

Arihant Roy

Country flag
Nag for bunker-busting?? Don't you think that would be just too damn expensive?? I think Konkurs and Milans should be used for that role.
If we mass produce it in large nos the cost will be low but no doubt it will be more expensive than Milan and Konkurs.

But with Namica Nag combination you have the capability to target bunkers upto 4 kms away in rapid succession . Milan 2 has a 2.5 km range unlike the 4 km range of Nag and Konkurs.And since it's a fire and forget missile there won't be any need for the vehicle to stay there and remain exposed to hostile fire.

To have rapid fire, you would need multiple atgm teams . Here Namica can shoot off a couple of rounds by the time it takes to load another Milan or Konkurs.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles