DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
This combined with UVLS in the future will be a game changer for Indian Navy.

I assume when these are inducted we will finally retire the rbu rockets. They take too much space we easily create space for 16 uvls if we are to remove them.
RBU rockets are also used as rockets during beach landing. And they have multiple other uses as well including firing in Salvo mode. Recently DRDO extended the range to 8.5 km.

Knowitall

RBU rockets are also used as rockets during beach landing. And they have multiple other uses as well including firing in Salvo mode. Recently DRDO extended the range to 8.5 km.
I think we will end up removing them as our ships won't have any extra space.

Eventually with UVLS and LACM and other ground attack missiles coming we will be able to deploy our ships based on mission based payload.

Would be nice if we could quad pack qr-sam in future UVLS.

Fire support I believe will be provided by the 76 mm and 127 mm guns coupled with new land attack missiles.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
The SMART missile is a version of Shaurya which itself is a K-15 variant.

View attachment 61603

This approach is similar to the one adopted for Astra bvraam. The same airframe had bee
n enlarged and repurposed is used as NGARM . A variant is also used as Qrsam.
Yes, that’s the beauty of having indigenous core technologies. a wide array of solutions can be created using mix and match of existing technologies.

Tuco

Country flag
Yes, that’s the beauty of having indigenous core technologies. a wide array of solutions can be created using mix and match of existing technologies.
Universal launch vehicle-missile assisted pgm, missile assisted torpedo. In future missile assisted decoys and small uav swarms if it is cost effective.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
Can some Naval expert explain to me the use-case scenario of SMART? :notsure:

If it is for attacking Submarines from a standoff distance, we first have to detect it. Submarines can be either detected by Warships, which again generally has torpedos & depth charges in general.
Or in case the Submarine is detected by reconnaissance planes like P-8I/Dornier or Il-38, they again have anti-submarine weapons on them?

So in which scenario it will be useful?

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

If it is for attacking Submarines from a standoff distance, we first have to detect it. Submarines can be either detected by Warships, which again generally has torpedos & depth charges in general.
Or in case the Submarine is detected by reconnaissance planes like P-8I/Dornier or Il-38, they again have anti-submarine weapons on them?

To block malacca straits from Andaman, while keeping P-8i out of range.

Knowitall

Oh there was a whole study on this including pictures will post it when I find it but to explain in short.

India will be using a combination of land based systems underwater submarine detection lines uuv drones p-8i and the MH-60r helicopters all coordinating and talking to each other.

This technology infact is quite revolutionary.

A kolkata class destroyer could after getting information from a predator drone fire this missile from more than a 100km away.

We are looking at a technology which will help our warships take on submarines from ranges where the submarines don't pose any threat to us.

Radars based on strategic island means that we are eventually developing a huge net in the Indian ocean to catch and destroy submarine's.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
Oh there was a whole study on this including pictures will post it when I find it but to explain in short.

India will be using a combination of land based systems underwater submarine detection lines uuv drones p-8i and the MH-60r helicopters all coordinating and talking to each other.

This technology infact is quite revolutionary.

A kolkata class destroyer could after getting information from a predator drone fire this missile from more than a 100km away.

We are looking at a technology which will help our warships take on submarines from ranges where the submarines don't pose any threat to us.

Radars based on strategic island means that we are eventually developing a huge net in the Indian ocean to catch and destroy submarine's.
Seems kinda too futuristic TBH, underwater submarine detectors, and UUV drones and all of them connected in a network-centric way is something still 20 years away for India.

Radars won't detect submarines, only ships. For underwater listeners, we need to build deep-sea platforms because listeners around shore will just pick up static noise.

However, I think we might have something like that or some use case we don't know. DRDO won't just waste money on irrelevant concepts.

To block malacca straits from Andaman, while keeping P-8i out of range.
We cannot just spam any general area with missiles. Malacca strait at minimum is still 60km wide and nearly 1000km long. The released torpedo from the missile will only have a limited time to find & home to its target before its fuel (or battery) runs out.

Karthi

Country flag

This is going to be headache for China ,and help us to destroy Chinese Subs far beyond Indian ocean , the key Is India's other ASW platforms like ,kamorta , P8I and ASW helis and most potent Underwater surveillance network we established , which is connected with SOSUS network of Japan and US, these Indian Underwater network can detect Chinese subs from 1000Km and the range of SMART 650 imagine if we deploy SMART in Andaman we can destroy Chinese Subs beyond IOR

Chinmoy

Country flag

Few days ago there was a hue and cry on 30 Reaper deal.
Now the scenario unfolds as, P8I ASW patrolling is costly affair. So you launch a reaper for the same role. It goes on and detect a sub and relay the same to ground station.
Second scenario, even a boat when detects a sub using passive sonar, could relay the information to SBF. In that scenario, the destroyer or frigate could target the sub without giving away its position. Moreover such a weapon would mean that the sub would not know about getting targeted unless the torpedo hits the water above it.

As for now, I believe it would be installed as a shore based system rather then ship based.

Tuco

Country flag
Seems kinda too futuristic TBH, underwater submarine detectors, and UUV drones and all of them connected in a network-centric way is something still 20 years away for India.

Radars won't detect submarines, only ships. For underwater listeners, we need to build deep-sea platforms because listeners around shore will just pick up static noise.

However, I think we might have something like that or some use case we don't know. DRDO won't just waste money on irrelevant concepts.

We cannot just spam any general area with missiles. Malacca strait at minimum is still 60km wide and nearly 1000km long. The released torpedo from the missile will only have a limited time to find & home to its target before its fuel (or battery) runs out.
What if we have good underwater standalone sensor network?

Chinmoy

Country flag
This is something I am always agree with. Testing will go on until all options of import will exhaust.
Sorry sir for my ill information, I didn't know Astra missile development also includes integration of it to all types of platform. Meteor yet to integrate with F-35 so can we say Immature missile? Its Ok

Rest, if you read your post from where this conversation has started you will find a Ravish kumar's primetime show where he some how try to justify all Pseaudo-lebarandu-peacefullas while conveniently ignores other side
Meteor was designed by European consortium for European platforms which includes Typhoon, Gripen, Rafale. Even the in service F-16's were not integrated with it. So does this mean Meteor is immature?

For a one sided mind, it might seem a immature system. But I look into the sub components parts of a system and in there, it is one of the most MATURED missile system.

Could we say same for Astra? Most of its test were carried out with Russian seekers, which BTW according to you is SHIT.

Here only Company name is enough.
Yes. Developers matters. Especially when they have decades of experience behind them in designing and development. Their product like Meteor has gained on the experience of AA series, 530 series, Mica, Skyflash, ASRAAM. Could DRDO put such experience behind Astra?

Scientist pilots?? Except Firing, could you please tell what else these pilots do which cant be done by Missile development team ?? Please, don't say tactics because they can be draw by missiles specifications. Neither it come under development process.

So what category does MICA missile fall under?? Immature or under trials or Matured ??

Ya !! of course DRDO don't have such research data as they were playing LUDO

Is Astra is matured for MKI or not??
This is a Win-Win situation for IAF, Delaying + Developing at the same time :clap2:
Scientist Pilot term is used because you used the same in an early post.

Now on your point of what they could do that the development team can't. User when gives specifications for developments, they give a general spec as about the range required and operational altitude. Based on that a product is designed and developed. BVR starts from 30 km onwards. Now DRDO designed a missile for 110 km, its their credit. They developed and got the seeker accepted by user, again their credit.

Now user has to carry on trials of the system before certifying the product which they did and further placed limited orders of the same. Now if you ask that what more user have to do, well they have to open up the performance envelope of the system. How?

Well, Astra has been designed to engage a target head on at 110 km at 30k feet. What about its engagement range at 10k feet?
What would be the rules of engagement for a pilot to engage a target at 10k feet while flying at 20 or say 15k feet or vice versa?
Who would say or teach these to pilots? DRDO?

You believe they would come and say, "Ok boys, if you detect a target flying 1k feet below you, you have to come down to same altitude before releasing missile or you should release missile at X minimum range". Do you think it happens like this?
Who according to you would be making these charts?

Even in case of M777, IA did made firing charts with limited numbers before going for induction of the whole lot.

You got any more Rajdeep like questions?

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag

Sirji, just think about bakistan Sir-creek submarines or submarine base in karachi.

They will be now more legitimate when they will say "ahmadullilah, no fighting with India" and will call their daddy Chocka.... I mean China more.

Pakis news be like
"BHARAT ka jungi junoon" and Chinese CLOSE times be like "EVERY CHINESE IS AN IRON MAN", mode.

Now, I think if there ever will be two front war scenarios, just push p-8i and these into close coordination together along with air cover of Gujarat based fighters and see the magic.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles