DRDO 155mm Artillery Program

Can DRDO design Artillery able to pass into mass production?

• Total voters

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Please can u share the research paper.....
Lost the paper due to data loss last year.
Yet, I have something to share.
Mumbai based Zeus Numerix has prepared for simulations.
http://www.zeusnumerix.com//public/..._Design_of_Electromagnetic_Rail_Gun_PR074.pdf

ARDE's rail gun might in fact be a coil gun rail gun hybrid using bitter coil based transmission line along with rails.
http://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/tenders/viewTender.jsp?paramMicro=9672

In media,
http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2016/05/indias-navy-wants-100-technologies-by.html?m=1

https://m.reddit.com/r/GlobalPowers/comments/3ayo3e/secret_project_18class_destroyer/
[Reddit is more fictional though].
For lasers,
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/indian-laser-and-directed-energy-weapon-dew-thread.76144/

Fine, I think I will create thread for Indian Electromagnetic gun project.:)

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
Lost the paper due to data loss last year.
Yet, I have something to share.
Mumbai based Zeus Numerix has prepared for simulations.
http://www.zeusnumerix.com//public/..._Design_of_Electromagnetic_Rail_Gun_PR074.pdf

ARDE's rail gun might in fact be a coil gun rail gun hybrid using bitter coil based transmission line along with rails.
http://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/tenders/viewTender.jsp?paramMicro=9672

In media,
http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2016/05/indias-navy-wants-100-technologies-by.html?m=1

https://m.reddit.com/r/GlobalPowers/comments/3ayo3e/secret_project_18class_destroyer/
[Reddit is more fictional though].
For lasers,
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/indian-laser-and-directed-energy-weapon-dew-thread.76144/

Fine, I think I will create thread for Indian Electromagnetic gun project.:)
Thank you for the information.......................................

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
the IA loves the good old IFG/LFG it's the AK-47 of arty . works anywhere 7 is dirt cheap to maintain & use.
Easy to train on as well.
the LFG/IFG is also being upgraded wiht the help of Bharat forge. the upgraded gun has a range of 24km as compared to 17 km for the regular one.

pls excuse any typinf mistakes am currently on my 3rd whisky, amn drinking the new year in with my father !
Bharat forge's field gun is excellent and they made it from light materials and and gun weighs only 900 kg inplace of 4.1 ton. This gives forces a tremendous flexibility to carry it anywhere with choppers. Baba Kalyani made it in 11 months.

http://www.indiandefensenews.in/2016/03/idn-take-amazing-story-of-bharat-52.html

Last edited:

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Thank you for the information.......................................
@HariPrasad-1 ko pakdo, ho na ho uske paas poora paper hai.:D

Slightly off title, ISRO used a similar system to modify GSLV Mk3.

Old Design

vs New Design!

(Facilitates 500kg more capacity to GTO)
On Civilian level high tech industries, we are using French "SoldiWorks" to be replaced by indigenous VSSC Feast soon when full version is released. Some highlights:

Software looks likes the Indian Counterpart of France's Dasaault Solution Softwares (I cited Dasaault because it was most popular.:))

@Kunal Biswas
We need similar systems for designing artillery guns, planes and APC-Tanks etc. too.
Does DRDO/ARDE has any such system?

Last edited:

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
@HariPrasad-1 ko pakdo, ho na ho uske paas poora paper hai.:D

Slightly off title, ISRO used a similar system to modify GSLV Mk3.

Old Design

vs New Design!

(Facilitates 500kg more capacity to GTO)
On Civilian level high tech industries, we are using French "SoldiWorks" to be replaced by indigenous VSSC Feast soon when full version is released. Some highlights:

Software looks likes the Indian Counterpart of France's Dasaault Solution Softwares (I cited Dasaault because it was most popular.:))

@Kunal Biswas
We need similar systems for designing artillery guns, planes and APC-Tanks etc. too.
Does DRDO/ARDE has any such system?
What is the weight carrying after new design? 4.5 tons?

Immanuel

Country flag
Glad to see ATAGS is a world class item, focus should always be on working locally on developing new things. We shouldn't have to import another gun after the M777, all gun variants can be designed and made locally entirely. With the right management structure and early involvement of private heavies such as Tata, Bharat baba, L&T, Mahindra etc. we can meet the needs of the forces quite well.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Yup, 4.5 tonnes to GTO and possibly 9-10 to LEO (I don't know exactly about LEO).
ISRO and DRDO both are getting away with that BS grill in stage separation. From Agni IV, DRDO got away with that and now ISRO is also doing that. Very good. With the arrival of Semi cryo, our weight lifting to GEO will boost to atleast 6 tons and when we will use as boosters, it will further zoom to 10 tons or above. Nice developments are taking place. Now I want a semicryo based low weight low cost vehicle to replace PSLV and then GSLV MK2. I do not know whether ISRO is doing any research on that.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
when we will use as boosters, it will further zoom to 10 tons or above. Nice developments are taking place.
10-15 tonnes (GTO) range in upcoming HLV family configuration if I'm not wrong.
Now I want a semicryo based low weight low cost vehicle to replace PSLV and then GSLV MK2. I do not know whether ISRO is doing any research on that.
Agni V based launch system like US military for emergency
& 500 kg payload variant of PSLV to remain competent in the launch market.

PSLV-XL will be replaced by PSLV-HP & PSLV-3S for light payload.
GSLV 2 & 3 will be replaced by ULVs.
In end, three families must be working after two decades from now,
PSLV, ULV & HLV (and possibly RLV). PSLV is highly economical and won't be replaced anytime soon.

I think we are at risk of missing the topic.
So, if you are going to quote me, quote my this post on ISRO thread.
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/isro-news-and-updates.33401/page-122

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
With regards to the above we still have miles to go as far as weight to orbit is considered.
the GSLV carries only some 8 Tonnes to Orbit currently, the US DELTA V Heavy 8 Chinese Long March 5 can carry 25 Tonnes into Orbit, the Russian ANGARA A5 can carry 35 tonnes into orbit & the Ariane A5 can take 21 tonnes into orbit.

By 2050 the US firm Space X plans to launch the ITS(Interplanetary transportation system) taking a mind boggling 300tonnes(reusable) to 500tonnes(expendable) into orbit.

mayfair

I believe one of the reasons for GSLV ebing relatively "short-legged" so to speak is its design itself. GSLV was basically PSLV scaled up and ISRO opted to cluster 2 engines, Long March has four, naturally that will have an impact on payload capability. Pkus loads of other things.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
With regards to the above we still have miles to go as far as weight to orbit is considered.
the GSLV carries only some 8 Tonnes to Orbit currently, the US DELTA V Heavy 8 Chinese Long March 5 can carry 25 Tonnes into Orbit, the Russian ANGARA A5 can carry 35 tonnes into orbit & the Ariane A5 can take 21 tonnes into orbit.

By 2050 the US firm Space X plans to launch the ITS(Interplanetary transportation system) taking a mind boggling 300tonnes(reusable) to 500tonnes(expendable) into orbit.
GSLV Mk3 has been boosted to 10 tonnes now (I posted the new design on ISRO thread) and soon 12-15 tonnes (LEO).
Comparing it with CZ-9 /Delta-4 Heavy isn't fair because they are heavy category, LVM3 is mid heavy class.

ISRO has separate projects for development of HLVs (10-15 tonnes to GTO and 30-35 tonnes to LEO) and a study project for super heavy lift launch vehicles and I think I have put enough "official reports and slides" on relevant threads.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
I believe one of the reasons for GSLV ebing relatively "short-legged" so to speak is its design itself. GSLV was basically PSLV scaled up and ISRO opted to cluster 2 engines, Long March has four, naturally that will have an impact on payload capability. Pkus loads of other things.
GSLV is mid heavy, its not even made to be an HLV, though HLV design heavily extracts from LVM3.

Prashant12

Country flag
Army enthused by new indigenous artillery gun

The Army has given the thumbs-up to a heavy artillery gun, Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System (ATAGS), being developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation, in collaboration with the private sector.

This is significant step in indigenisation as the Army and the DRDO had considerable differences on projects in the past.

“The gun has come up very well. The way the project is unfolding, if it continues that way, it will be one of the finest guns in its class in the world,” a senior Army officer told The Hindu.

ATAGS is a 155-mm, 52-calibre towed artillery gun being developed in mission mode for the Army’s artillery modernisation programme. It was designed by the DRDO’s Armament Research and Development Establishment (ARDE) in Pune. Bharat Forge Ltd. of the Kalyani Group, Tata Power Strategic Engineering Division and Mahindra Defence Naval System from the private sector are involved in a big way, along with the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB), in the project.

The officer said an Army team had been involved in the project since the conceptual stage.

Technical trials

Proof firing tests of the armament systems were carried out during technical trials in June and September and some initial integrated firing tests were successfully carried out in December. Officials said they were on track to have the first fully integrated gun system for user trials by the Army in the first half of 2017.

The government informed Parliament in November that the gun had several significant features such as an all-electric drive, high mobility, quick deployability, auxiliary power mode, advanced communication system, and automated command and control system. It also boasts a range of 45 km, depending on the type of ammunition used. The gun has to go through a rigorous integration and testing cycle before large-scale induction. Sources said that by the present sequence, it could tentatively be inducted in the Army between 2022-24.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...-indigenous-artillery-gun/article17009858.ece

Spectribution

Tihar Jail
Banned
By way of their reporting, it seems they are not happy with the fact that Dhanush came on top :)
The MSM like bad news because fear sells papers. Remember the INS Betwa incident.
They were gunning for a write off but on hearing that the ship will be brought back to service they grovelled and sulked away.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
In final stages of ordering 155/52 self-propelled gun: Parrikar
Indian army has not had a new 155mm artillery gun inducted since the Bofors scandal of 1987. 'Dhanush', also known as 'desi Bofors', is indigenously-developed 155mm gun with 45 calibre having advanced features with a strike range of 38 km. The towed howitzer 'Dhanush' has larger range than 27-km of the imported Bofors.
GANDHINAGAR: After successfully completing field trials of indigenously-developed howitzer Dhanush, another self propelled gun 155/52 is in the final stages of being ordered, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar said today.
The 155mm/45-calibre Dhanush howitzer has been tested and field trials have been completed, he said at the Vibrant Gujarat Global Summit here.
Also, the 'Pinaka' rocket, which used as an area destruction weapon that can virtually decimate 900 square meter of area, has been tested for 65 km range today, he said.
"That gives a tremendous boost to the capability of the armed forces once it goes in production. So why do we need to get worried about technology being US engineered," he said.
Indian army has not had a new 155mm artillery gun inducted since the Bofors scandal of 1987. 'Dhanush', also known as 'desi Bofors', is indigenously-developed 155mm gun with 45 calibre having advanced features with a strike range of 38 km. The towed howitzer 'Dhanush' has larger range than 27-km of the imported Bofors.
"India after more than 30 years has successfully developed its own gun. No new artillery gun was introduced for 30 years in the Army. For the first time we have successfully developed and tested, field trial has been completed for Dhanush which is 155/45 Howitzer. Another self-propelled gun, 155/52 is in the final stages of being ordered," he said.
More than 50 per cent of the components of the self- propelled gun, being made by a joint venture of Larsen & Toubro and Samsung of Korea, are made in India, he said.
"The first lot will be ordered probably in the current financial year. This is one of the Make in India project. It is one step ahead of the Make in India. It is designed, developed and Made in India," he said.
Stating that India needs "to go a few steps further", he said these few steps further possibly would come through "a very strategic chapter in DPP (Defence Procurement Procedure, i.e. strategic partner. Which we expect to come out very soon. That will be a game changer for big time manufacturing in India and I expect it to be operational very soon."

Global Defence

New threads

Articles