DRDO 155mm Artillery Program

Can DRDO design Artillery able to pass into mass production?

• Total voters

Yumdoot

As far as Rail Gun is concerned, I think as of now, its more of a propaganda gun then a feasible one. Lets take these into accounts, the main strength of a Rail Gun is in its projectile velocity which works fine in a direct line of sight firing. But when you consider firing it like a Howitzer, I don't see much difference as the projectile would come down at a speed of 10m/s, same as that of a Howitzer.
The hypersonic speed of the projectile give it the distance, very true, but we have also to take into account the mass of the projectile it shoots. E.g. a normal 155/52 mm guns shoot a projectile of 5/6 kg to a distance of say 24km, then a rail gun would fire the same projectile to say at least 50 km or so, but to fire the same it would require a massive power house which in turn would increase its operational cost (as discussed earlier).
The projectile tested so far from BAE system Rail Gun is ob around 2/3 kg and moreover its completely unguided. So I think, against an enemy bunker in Himalayas, a Howitzer firing 6kg round is far more suitable then a Railgun with all its powerhouse et.al firing a 3kg projectle.

But yeah, I think rail gun could play a far more defensive role against aircraft, cruise missile and tactical ballistic missile then the offensive role.
155 mm 52 Cal will typically fire a 41-46 kg projectile with ERFB-BB rounds going upto 40+ km and rocket assisted ones go even upto 50+ km.

With a rail gun the problem is not as much the shell as the gun itself, which is said to have an annoying tendency to unravel itself.

If the projectile is small then don't use it for attacking purposes, use it for defensive weaponry. A properly deployed defensive weapon is as much a force multiplier as an attacking one. For example you can deploy it as a CIWS against low hypersonic missiles.

Anyhow my guess is this is all rather futile. Gravity, aerodynamics and mother nature has more solutions up her sleeves than anything that bright men can conjure up. Only the people who side with nature are going to win the fight.

Blood+

Country flag
155 mm 52 Cal will typically fire a 41-46 kg projectile with ERFB-BB rounds going upto 40+ km and rocket assisted ones go even upto 50+ km.

With a rail gun the problem is not as much the shell as the gun itself, which is said to have an annoying tendency to unravel itself.

If the projectile is small then don't use it for attacking purposes, use it for defensive weaponry. A properly deployed defensive weapon is as much a force multiplier as an attacking one. For example you can deploy it as a CIWS against low hypersonic missiles.

Anyhow my guess is this is all rather futile. Gravity, aerodynamics and mother nature has more solutions up her sleeves than anything that bright men can conjure up. Only the people who side with nature are going to win the fight.
I would rather use high powered micro wave weapons as a defensive weapon against such threats.At least that seems much more feasible given the current level of technological maturity human race has achieved.

Yumdoot

@Blood+

Miniaturization, repeatability and fast charging up or powering up a DEW is going to be a big headache for bigger uses. And even if achieved the exchange ratios will always be in favour of cheaper projectiles.

My guess is that till at least mach numbers ~20, the chemical energy, ballistics and mathematics will be the real weapons. The path can be traversed and I am sure intelligent people are already working on problems and solutions.

http://missilethreat.com/research-may-lead-to-new-hypersonic-warhead-technologies/

DEWs have been heard of since before US president Regan and they have mostly produced time pass stuff in the claimed and acclaimed direction.

I am not discounting DEWs completely. DEWs have been shown to work against soft targets of which there are many. Imagine frying up a Jihadi even before he can press the red button or the Paki on top of Tiger hill, or the random UAVs or the long range precision LPI beams for targeting/guiding of conventional projectiles. These are all do-able by DEWs. But my guess is that most of the claims around DEWs shooting down this that and everything else are merely hype.

Computations are the real weapon.

Chinmoy

Country flag
I would rather use high powered micro wave weapons as a defensive weapon against such threats.At least that seems much more feasible given the current level of technological maturity human race has achieved.
Well @Blood+ you could count the weaponized version of KALI, if it ever gets weaponized, for the same. But it would be effective only against missiles or guided weapon to fry up their circuits. But against unguided kinetic projectiles, I don't see much use of it.

Yumdoot

DEWs are OT here.

What DRDO should try to work on is cannon launched guided projectiles. If they are able to do that then some really cheap methods, of delivering some very potent Shaped Charges, opens up.

And it would be repeatable, fast and with very small onboard power demands and would be very difficult to counter.

Chinmoy

Country flag
DEWs are OT here.

What DRDO should try to work on is cannon launched guided projectiles. If they are able to do that then some really cheap methods, of delivering some very potent Shaped Charges, opens up.

And it would be repeatable, fast and with very small onboard power demands and would be very difficult to counter.
That's what I do think we should look upon. I have previously also asked about smart projectile like that of Excalibur in this thread. Along with the canon we should also work up on the rounds it fire. May be any user would like to throw some light on any development we have made in this regard.

Yumdoot

That's what I do think we should look upon. I have previously also asked about smart projectile like that of Excalibur in this thread. Along with the canon we should also work up on the rounds it fire. May be any user would like to throw some light on any development we have made in this regard.
On and off there has been mention of a guided shell but nothing of real import.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...faster-DRDO-official/articleshow/30427110.cms

It is a challenging task but worth it.

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
What is the difference between 39/45/52 caliber in 155mm artillery.
Are they similar or different?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Things about 155mm Guns of different calibers..

================
================

bofors 155mm/52cal gun, Specifications below :

Length of the barrel : 8.06 m (26 ft 5 in) L/52
52cal gun with ordinary ammo:19-24 km
52cal gun with Special ammo: 41-56,000 m (BB+RAP extended range, Gliding rounds )

================
================

bofors 155mm/45cal gun, Specifications below :

Length of the barrel : 6.95 meters L/45
45cal gun with ordinary ammo: 18-24 kms
45cal gun with Special ammo: 41,600 m (Extended range full-bore-base)

=================
=================

bofors 155mm/39cal gun, Specifications below :

Length of the barrel : 5.89 m (19 ft 4 in) L/39
39cal gun with ordinary ammo: 19-24 kms
39cal gun with Special ammo: 30km

====================
====================
====================
====================

How to measure caliber :

From above :

155 x 45 = 6.95 meters long barrel
155 x 52 = 8.06 meters long barrel
155 x 39 = 6.04 meters long barrel

What is the difference between 39/45/52 caliber in 155mm artillery.
Are they similar or different?

Last edited:

Shadow

Country flag
DRDO brief through PIB.

DRDO achieved yet another technological breakthrough by successfully conducting the proof firing of Armament system for 155 mm x 52 calibre Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System (ATAGS) during the technical trials conducted recently at Proof & Experimental Establishment (PXE), Balasore.

ATAGS is fully indigenous towed artillery gun system project undertaken in mission mode by DRDO as a part of artillery modernisation programme of Indian Army. Armament Research & Development Establishment (ARDE), Pune is the nodal laboratory of DRDO for design & development of ATAGS along with other DRDO laboratories. The Armament system of ATAGS mainly comprise barrel, breech mechanism, muzzle brake and recoil mechanism to fire 155 mm calibre ammunitions held by Indian Army with a longer range, accuracy and precision and provides greater fire power.

ATAGS is configured with all electric drive to ensure maintenance free and reliable operation over a longer period of time. It will have a firing range of 40 Kms with advanced features in terms of high mobility, quick deployability, auxiliary power mode, advanced communication system, automatic command and control system with night firing capability in direct fire mode.

The development trajectory of ATAGS aims at establishing indigenous critical defence manufacturing technologies with the active participation of Ordnance Factories, DPSUs and Private industries including Bharat Forge Limited, Tata Power Strategic Engineering Division and Mahindra Defence Naval System to meet the aspiration of Make in India initiative in defence sector.

DRDO is committed to develop and field ATAGS in the shortest timeframe with active participation by leading industries to meet the requirement of Indian Army. The first fully integrated gun system will be ready for user trials by early 2017.

Hari Sud

Country flag
How many different types of towed artillery system India needs;

We have left over Bofor

We have Dhanush, M777 and a gun under development by Bharat Forge (Bull design).

Their may be more.

Switch effort to mobile artillery.

Lions Of Punjab

Country flag
http://www.financialexpress.com/ind...anced-towed-artillery-gun-indian-army/317093/

Make in India: 5 facts about DRDO’s new 155 mm x 52 calibre advanced towed artillery gun for Indian Army

Dhanush 155mm Artillery Gun: A “Make in India” Marvel

With DRDO test-firing its fully indigenous 155 mm x 52 calibre Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System (ATAGS), the Indian Army is all set to get the much needed weapon for user trials by early 2017.

The successful test is also a shot in the arm for Modi government’s ‘Make in India’ drive for the defence sector. The test-firing took place during technical trials conducted recently at the Proof & Experimental Establishment (PXE) in Balasore.

The project is part of the artillery modernisation program of the Indian Army. We take a look at 5 key facts about the new towed artillery gun:

1) With a firing range of 40 kms, the gun boasts of advanced features such as quick deployability, auxiliary power mode, high mobility, advanced communication system, automatic command and control system with night firing capability in direct fire mode.

2) ATAGS comprises of a breech mechanism, barrel, muzzle brake and recoil mechanism to fire 155 mm calibre ammunition. It has longer range, accuracy and precision and provides greater fire power, claims DRDO.

In pic: DRDO’s Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System test-fired successfully

3) The system is configured with an all electric drive. The idea is the manufacture the gun in a way that it is maintenance free and offers reliable operation over a longer period of time.

4) DRDO’s nodal laboratory Armament Research & Development Establishment (ARDE), Pune takes the credit for the design & development of ATAGS, along with other DRDO laboratories.

5) DRDO aims to develop the artillery gun system with participation of private industry. Establishing indigenous critical defence manufacturing technologies, is one of the key focus areas of the project.

DRDO hopes to do this with the participation of Ordnance Factories, DPSUs and private industries including Bharat Forge, Tata Power Strategic Engineering Division and Mahindra Defence Naval System.

Dhanush for Indian Army

Meanwhile, reports suggest that the Defence Ministry has approved bulk production of 18 Dhanush artillery guns. Dhanush, which has been developed by the Ordnance Factory Board, is a 155mm x 45 caliber howitzer. It has a range of 38 kms.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles