DRDO 155mm Artillery Program

Can DRDO design Artillery able to pass into mass production?

• Total voters

SilentKiller

Country flag
Working with pure titanium is out or question. We need Titanium alloy for forging. Now we all know how much we are lagging behind in metallurgy right now. Don't worry and keep your hopes up. This is just the beginning :)
now we got
Titanium Sponge Plant in India

Chinmoy

Country flag
Kanchan Armour use titanium alloys and boron carbide bricks ..

Their was some PDF of DRDO explaining Titanium alloy in nano technology ..
Now the thing is, forging a armour plate from Titanium alloy is different from forging a barrel with titanium alloy. Now each Titanium Copper alloy is not fit enough for barrel formation. We need something like NKT322 GIGALLOY to forge gun barrel. Now whether we have made it or not or being able to form it or not is something to see for in future.

Chinmoy

Country flag
i believe even BharatForge acquired titanium welding tech. The light weight 155 /52 gun offered by BharatForge in collabration with Mandus, has titanium alloy barrel
Problem here is, Kalyani is not taking care of the metallurgical part. They are simply acquiring the material and designing the gun. Kalyani is designing guns, but I don't see any report of them venturing into the field of metallurgy.

Alok Arya

Country flag
Problem here is, Kalyani is not taking care of the metallurgical part. They are simply acquiring the material and designing the gun. Kalyani is designing guns, but I don't see any report of them venturing into the field of metallurgy.
I think it is metallurgy part of atags which is taken care by Kalyani ie barrel . It is barrel manufacturing which is expertise of Kalyani . They also displayed a titanium barrel for their light gun in replacement of m777 . Can any one enlighten us more .

Last edited:

Alok Arya

Country flag
I think Kalyani is making gun from raw material in India without any import . If so it is metallurgy part . Even forging of rest of part involved in muzzle brake , recoil etc in India without any imported component . I think it is APU which is being imported and it will be soon going to replaced by Indian manufacturer . So if making of alloy from raw material and forging of barrel from this alloy under same company, it is metallurgy part . Please Chinmoy sir through more light .

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Working with pure titanium is out or question. We need Titanium alloy for forging. Now we all know how much we are lagging behind in metallurgy right now. Don't worry and keep your hopes up. This is just the beginning :)
Well got the news in Defexpo, kalyana light weight gun is almost same weight as American light weight and its competitive.

Don't underestimate your country. Baba Kalayani is great patriot, i have very high regard for him.

Bahamut

Well got the news in Defexpo, kalyana light weight gun is almost same weight as American light weight and its competitive.

Don't underestimate your country. Baba Kalayani is great patriot, i have very high regard for him.
Hope for Kalayani to get large order for this gun and may be export to Afghanistan

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Hope for Kalayani to get large order for this gun and may be export to Afghanistan
already his gun is in the race, the has got all the tech and ready to start production at short notice of one month. He has done all because we were not having the gun.

sthf

Country flag

That gun too is American. Designed by Mandus group, produced by Bharat Forge.

Difference is that since Baba Kalyani is footing half the bill, India has far more leverage than it could with BAE.

Chinmoy

Country flag
I think Kalyani is making gun from raw material in India without any import . If so it is metallurgy part . Even forging of rest of part involved in muzzle brake , recoil etc in India without any imported component . I think it is APU which is being imported and it will be soon going to replaced by Indian manufacturer . So if making of alloy from raw material and forging of barrel from this alloy under same company, it is metallurgy part . Please Chinmoy sir through more light .
Making a gun is one thing and designing the metal is another thing. Now Garden research and Mazgaon docks do build warships in India, but the weapon grade steel is produced by SAIL. Mazgaon dock and Garden research has nothing to do with R&D of the metallurgical part, that is building the raw metal. In same way, Kalyani too is acquiring the raw material from some one to forge the part. Now whether this supplier is an Indian or a foreign company, that I don't know. But as far as I know, Kalyani doesn't own a foundry to produce a Titanium alloy, nor they have any Lab under their wings which is doing any R&D for designing any alloy.

Chinmoy

Country flag

I am no where refuting that, all I am saying is what about the metallurgical part? From where they are getting the raw material for designing purpose?

AnantS

Country flag
Chinmoy, I do not know if they got alloy knowhow. No open source material on that.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles