Downward Spiral in Afghanistan

Kabuli

This is an extract from a "Threat Assessment Report" I did for my Political Science 222 class (Terrorism & Political Violence). It was on the "HIG" or Hezb-e-Islami Gulbuddin (Gulbuddin Hekmatyar). This is a relevant extract about the origins of the conflict. I guess we can start from here. Also, keep in mind if you read it that when I use phrases such as "global Jihad," I'm only trying to score points with my right-wing republican professor lol.

III. ORIGINS

[...]

2. The HIG network began as a coalition of Islamic fundamentalist organizations under the leadership of Burhanuddin Rabbani, Abdul Rasul Sayyaf, Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, and Abul Alaa Maududi of Jamaat-e-Islami (the Islamic Block) Pakistan. This group was called Sazman-e-Jawanan-e-Musulman (Muslim Youth).

A) Muslim Youth was founded in 1969 in response to what Islamic fundamentalists viewed as the growing influence of communism.

B) The Muslim Youth organization was notorious for spraying acid on women who didn’t wear veils. In 1974, President Daoud Khan cracked down on the group forcing it into Pakistan where it was dissolved and splintered into many factions supported by the Pakistani intelligence service, the ISI (inter-services intelligence).

3. Two main groups emerged as the dominant Islamic fundamentalist parties, Jamiat-e-Islami (the Islamic Society) led by Burhanuddin Rabbani and Hezb-e-Islami (The Islamic Party) led by Gulbuddin Hekmatyar.

A) Jamiat-e-Islami, also known as Jamiat, and HIG collaborated with the assistance of the ISI to spark a rebellion in the Panjshir Valley, Afghanistan in 1975.

B) In July of 1979, after the April revolution in the prior year, both Jamiat and HIG began receiving support from the CIA after approval from President Jimmy Carter. This was known as “Operation Cyclone,” which would become the largest covert operation in the history of the Central Intelligence Agency. HIG would then splinter again in 1979 into two factions with the minor faction led by Yunus Khalis.

C) The HIG network became the main bastion of foreign fighters and foreign money mainly from Saudi Arabia and other gulf sheikhdoms. This relationship would become the basis for today’s Al Qaida, HIG, Taliban, and other Islamic fundamentalist groups in Afghanistan and throughout the world.

Link to full paper : PSC 222 Paper A

The rest of the paper other than the origins of the communist party of Afghanistan is not relevant. At least not yet.

EDIT: This is one of the criminals who fled to Pakistan in 1974 and joined the "Jihad."

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vf-xsT41C0A&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vf-xsT41C0A&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Fighter

Kabuli i have question for you.

Do you see pakistan as the absolutely only reason for all the trouble afghanistan is going through.
Or are there other factors that are equally important.
Please explain

Kabuli

Kabuli i have question for you.

Do you see pakistan as the absolutely only reason for all the trouble afghanistan is going through.
Or are there other factors that are equally important.
Please explain
Obviously, religious extremists existed in Afghanistan, but they had no support which is why they went to Pakistan to build a base for operations across the border. Pakistan was not the only nation the United States, China, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, many of the gulf sheikdoms and European nations also aided them. Also, the Soviet Union shares part of the blame. The reasons and persons involved are not static. Afghans share the blunt of the blame for fighting for foreigners.

Fighter

Kabuli thanks for the explanation.

What would be the optimal road map if afghanistan has to recover.

I know its a big question i hope you will try to explain.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
I think the Afghans have a great potential to make a progressive nation. They also have too many challenges, not the least is the meddling by other players especially one that thinks of Afghanistan as its backyard and "strategic depth".

Not easy to say which way the wind will blow. During the Taliban days we had terrorists coming over from Afghanistan and killing innocent Kashmiris. I hope we don't get back to the bad old days.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles