"Don't Trust the Pentagon to End Rape" - Co-Op, NYT

charlyondfi

By Kirby Dick

LOS ANGELES — THE Senate Armed Services Committee will hold a hearing today on sexual assault in the military. This comes after months of revelations of rapes and other violent attacks at military bases and academies. At the hearing, the chiefs of staff of the military branches will likely admit that there is a serious problem and insist that the solution involves changing military culture. But the challenge goes far deeper.

The military has a problem with embedded, serial sexual predators. According to a 2011 report from the Pentagon's Sexual Assault and Prevention Office, 90 percent of military rapes are committed by men with previous histories of assault. These predators select and befriend lower-ranking victims; often they ply their victims with alcohol or drugs and assault them when they are unconscious.

Don't Trust the Pentagon to End Rape

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Last I heard there were people in the military. Some people do bad things.

These predators select and befriend lower-ranking victims; often they ply their victims with alcohol or drugs and assault them when they are unconscious.
Such fraternization is against regulations to begin with. "Victims" know that.

charlyondfi

Last I heard there were people in the military. Some people do bad things.
Such fraternization is against regulations to begin with. "Victims" know that.
Got your point and agreed. I think author meant to stress on "Don't trust Pentagon", but NOT those rape fact or figures - which aligns with my experience with a few US officers or military personnels. Almost all of them deserve varing level of respect, especially regarding their own profession. Nevertheless, it's about military (perhaps all around the world) is a quite closed-community in handling such justice system.

Last edited:

Lynne

Senior leaders interest in subordinates can mistakenly be taken as an attempt to mentor junior personnel. I hardly think anyone deserves to be raped because they had faith in the good intentions of leaders.

Glint

Country flag
Senior leaders interest in subordinates can mistakenly be taken as an attempt to mentor junior personnel. I hardly think anyone deserves to be raped because they had faith in the good intentions of leaders.
That's exactly what they are taking advantage of though, "faith in the good intentions"

Global Defence

New threads

Articles