Dog Eat Dog World- China

ahmedsid

Top Gun
The Chinese government is considering taking meat from domestic animals off menus across the country, raising concerns among dog farmers who have relied on the industry for generations.

The draft proposal to ban dog and cat meat has drawn an angry outcry from regions where the dish is popular.

Opponents say the ban would destroy local culinary traditions.

Al Jazeera's Melissa Chan reports from Jiangsu province in eastern China. (Feb 08, 2010)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZLLhd_0p_c&feature=player_embedded

ahmedsid

Top Gun
I saw this feature, and It was repulsive. I mean, their Govt should ban this, as we all know the Difference between Cattle and Dogs!! Man this is not about Cruelty, its not even about Taste!!! I found the video highly repulsive, maybe our Chinese friends can shed a light on how it is there!

I personally feel this is deeply entrenched in Chinese culture for the Govt to ban this easily, but yes, you can still try!

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
The next step of China's modernisation. Unfortunately thousands will be unemployed and it will be hard to crack down on it.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
I think the government needs to be conscious of the public mood. It is an age old tradition in China.

Dog meat is not consumed in most cultures but if Chinese culture allows it, it is their choice.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
China wants to be considered a civilised society by the world. They won't be until they get rid of this practice.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
^^ Why is that so? Why is eating a dog so different from eating other animals?

I think being a civilized country is not an issue. China is a great and ancient civilization and is not looking for that certificate from anyone.

They need to improve democracy and human rights. Their culinary habits is not an issue anywhere.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Its an issue on this very website. Their inhuman treatment of dogs has a couple of dedicated threads.

no smoking

Country flag
Why should the gov interfere in this kind of thing? It is a personal choice.
For myself, I have eaten some dog meat before. Even though I am not a big fan of this, I would not reject it. Why? Because I have never had any pet dog! So, I don't have any special feeling towards dog.
If you reject any dog meat beacause you love these dogs, that is your personal opinion, you can make a related law in France, India etc, just don't tell the chinese what they should eat in China.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Maybe dog meat will then be used to adulterate processed meat. Since it loses its texture, it can pass on in canned food or the catering industry. Yes, the state has a strong policy in place against adulteration, but the practice itself could be rife.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Why should the gov interfere in this kind of thing? It is a personal choice.
For myself, I have eaten some dog meat before. Even though I am not a big fan of this, I would not reject it. Why? Because I have never had any pet dog! So, I don't have any special feeling towards dog.
If you reject any dog meat beacause you love these dogs, that is your personal opinion, you can make a related law in France, India etc, just don't tell the chinese what they should eat in China.
If CCP passes a law saying you can't eat dogs, you can't eat dogs. It isn't me telling you not to eat them. It is the West influencing Chinese culture.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
We don't need such laws. Dogs are either the most privileged animals (as pets) or the most underprivileged (as stray dogs). Society looks at them either as status-symbols (that you can afford supporting a living being that isn't blood-related to you in your household/family), or as bottom-feeders, just not as food.

Country flag
for the Beijing olympics dog meat was take of the menu all over Beijing for the tourist influx, but I guess everyone has different tastes in central Asia horse meat is a delicacy and in Australia people have a taste for kangaroo meat.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
for the Beijing olympics dog meat was take of the menu all over Beijing for the tourist influx, but I guess everyone has different tastes in central Asia horse meat is a delicacy and in Australia people have a taste for kangaroo meat.
If I am not mistaken, all the meat we eat are of Vegetarian Animals. Dog is far away in that case! Check out the teeth of the animals we eat, and that of the Dog. Filipinos too eat Dog and Cats, and there is a shortage of stray dogs in Manila i have read. Its not weird, its just that its repulsive to some. But yeah, china should stick to their culture, if eating dogs it is!

Country flag
If I am not mistaken, all the meat we eat are of Vegetarian Animals. Dog is far away in that case! Check out the teeth of the animals we eat, and that of the Dog. Filipinos too eat Dog and Cats, and there is a shortage of stray dogs in Manila i have read. Its not weird, its just that its repulsive to some. But yeah, china should stick to their culture, if eating dogs it is!
I had dogs for pets so for me it is as repulsive as it is to the next guy, but as you mentioned if it is part of the culture how do outsiders get them to stop it?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I had dogs for pets so for me it is as repulsive as it is to the next guy, but as you mentioned if it is part of the culture how do outsiders get them to stop it?
It isn't outsiders that are bringing change to Chinese culture, but the urban class who have pets.

amoy

Dog Eat Dog World- China
I feel this title is offensive (no humor) though welcoming discussion on Chinese diet or menu.

SOME of us eat dog or cat (Cantonese mostly) or snake or mule or horse or deer. Or some of u don't eat pork or beef. That's your/our personal choice, which the gvnmt shouldn't interfere in unless with a strong justification like hygiene...

Personally I ate dogs and snakes and deer before. That was delicious. Long ago there was a fuss over that Koreans ate dogs. Now again!

Rage

DFI TEAM
I feel this title is offensive (no humor) though welcoming discussion on Chinese diet or menu.

SOME of us eat dog or cat (Cantonese mostly) or snake or mule or horse or deer. Or some of u don't eat pork or beef. That's your/our personal choice, which the gvnmt shouldn't interfere in unless with a strong justification like hygiene...

Personally I ate dogs and snakes and deer before. That was delicious. Long ago there was a fuss over that Koreans ate dogs. Now again!

ohimalaya,
The phrase 'dog eat dog world' is used to connote a fictional environment in which people live solely for their own interests, and go to the extent of hurting other people to achieve them. It is not being used to insinuate anything about the Chinese's detritus-eating habits- atleast not on this forum.

Personally, I don't think people should give a f^ck about what the Chinese people eat. I'm a big fan of leatherback turtle, gator and caribou. When I'm training, I'm on a diet of goat's blood and gruel. And pheasant, buffalo and wild boar are regularly on my table. Does that make me a turd-eating, dredge-drinking motherfvcker?

On the other hand, I know in some parts of my country, frog's legs, turtle, fieldmice, rabbit, hare and antelope (the latter of which, tamed jackals are used to hunt in the jungles of central India) are delicacies. I do not consider my people an alien race based purely upon the type of meat they eat.

"One man's food is another man's poison", said Lucretius in De Rerum Natura. Yet, "give to each man, what he will eat".

A word of note, in the Phillipines, dog meat is considered 'poor food', and it is increasingly reserved to the poorer classes who cannot afford chicken or bovine or pork.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Rage thanks for that enlighteneing post mate! Loved it!!! Thanks a million!

Yes, philipines dog meat is reserved for the poor, sorry I didnt mention it, I saw a feature in which Dogs was no where to be found in a poor slum like area or something!

Yes, Frogs legs a delicacy in My State Kerala, but its not just any frog, its a special kinda frog, and you gotta know how to prepare it. There is a small black vein which runs thru the legs and that has to be specially taken out, otherwise can cause poisoning or something. I havent eaten it, but plan to soon! Heard its delicious :) But the origins of this frogs legs too were from the Poor people, working on the fields, who found it a good meal, it has now filtered upwards and we got Americans and Europeans specially asking for Frogs legs! :)

Did Dog meat start from the lower strata of society in China? Can our Chinese friends shed a light? God Speed

amoy

Did Dog meat start from the lower strata of society in China?
Irrelevant to any social strata... it's simply delicious or some feel dogs are so ferocious (not all species . for example Peking dogs are regarded as pets) that its meat can energize epicures. Winter is believed to be the best season for eating dogs when people are most feeble.

China is so vast that we vary in tastes depending on what the place produces. Korean restaurants are well known for spicy dog meat dishes. However Manchu don't eat dogs becoz dogs are believed to have guided their ancestor out of an ambush (the founder of the last dynasty). In a coastal province like mine we enjoy seafoods.

When cursing somebody we say he is a dog, or call someone ' a dog's slave' if he has no guts.

Guten Appetite!

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Irrelevant to any social strata... it's simply delicious or some feel dogs are so ferocious (not all species . for example Peking dogs are regarded as pets) that its meat can energize epicures. Winter is believed to be the best season for eating dogs when people are most feeble.

China is so vast that we vary in tastes depending on what the place produces. Korean restaurants are well known for spicy dog meat dishes. However Manchu don't eat dogs becoz dogs are believed to have guided their ancestor out of an ambush (the founder of the last dynasty). In a coastal province like mine we enjoy seafoods.

When cursing somebody we say he is a dog, or call someone ' a dog's slave' if he has no guts.

Guten Appetite!
Great insight himalaya, thanks.

Dog Meat is kind of repulsive for me, but dont know, it might be delicious. What kind of sea food is popular there? Shark?? Sharkmeat is popular in some parts of my state, but mostly no one likes it due to the really bad smell of the meat. I mean it smells like Urine, even though the meat looks gorgeous!!!!

Global Defence

New threads

Articles