Does Indian Navy Plan to Aquire the AEGIS System from US?

Kumar

Country flag
I had read some news about the Indian Navy evaluating the AEGIS system for its warships before some time. Is this true, that the Indian Navy will acquire it....

What benefits does it bring to the Indian Navy in particular?

Please provide your thoughts on the same.

Thanks in advance.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Lockheed Martin had given a briefing about it to Indian navy and Aldo integrate it with PAD of India.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Aegis is not for protection of ships but covers larger areas. I mean if we have Aegis system on our ship, it can detect a launch from say Singapore towards India and then engage to destroy it.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
I thought the Indian navy was more interested in SM 3 ship mounted system.

Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009
Would make an excellent addition as a sea based BMD system.Anyword on the SM3?

natarajan

are they going to implement on existing ships or new ones
i think we should implement in new ships to test it

Kumar

Country flag
Does this mean any missile coming towards India can be handled by the AEGIS system.

Is India developing some kind of system like the AEGIS. PAD is i think prithvi air defense, how will it integrate with AEGIS.

Kumar

Country flag
are they going to implement on existing ships or new ones
i think we should implement in new ships to test it
What if it is implemented on all the surface ships, we will never have to worry about any other countries shooting missiles on our land.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I thought the Indian navy was more interested in SM 3 ship mounted system.
SM3 is the missile used in the aegis BMD.
More on the systemhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aegis_Ballistic_Missile_Defense_System

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Yes yusuf ji...I know that...but it wasnt on offer when the Aegis was presented to India.

J

John

SM-3: max range 500 km, operational ceiling: 250km, GPS/INS/semi-active radar homing/passive LWIR seeker (KW), Anti Sat capability.

On February 21, 2008 at 3:26 am (UTC) the USS Lake Erie, a Ticonderoga-class guided-missile cruiser, fired a single SM-3 missile, hit and successfully destroyed the satellite, with a closing velocity of about 22,783 mph (36,667 km/h) while the satellite was 247 kilometers (133 nautical miles) above the Pacific Ocean. USS Decatur, USS Russell as well as other land, air, sea and space-based sensors were involved in the operation.

SM-6 is also being readied and will be inducted into the USN by 2010, i think we need to get then, because they provide longer range protection than existing systems and our LR-SAM doesn't have enough range in comparison. P-17A's with SM-3s/6s, brahmos-2 would be gr8.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yes yusuf ji...I know that...but it wasnt on offer when the Aegis was presented to India.
That's where PAD comes in. DRDO is against aegis as it wants the navy to use PAD in it's entirity including radars.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
but Yusufji the SM3 equipped Aegis has a huge range...we can even bring down a BM in it's boost Phase.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Not heard about India speaking much on it nor the US. If anything was on the cards, then it would have been announced. Wonder any Israeli collaboration is on the cards or what.

J

John

once the navy checks it out it will go for it. coz there is nothing like it especially the ne gen upgrades will boost our naval air defense and make it impenetrable.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Not heard about India speaking much on it nor the US. If anything was on the cards, then it would have been announced. Wonder any Israeli collaboration is on the cards or what.
Arrow - 3 is the Israeli version of AEGIS with SM3. The Israelis didnt have funds when America pulled out. Suddenly they got funds...it is mysterious.

Country flag
just look at the trips by high ranking officials recently, Hillary, holbrooke to see if this is a possibility.

J

John

offcourse it is almost a sure buy, Indian Navy will be very impressed once they check it out in action. A lot has already happened when Hilary came, they picked out sites for nuke plants, they just tell anyone where.

natarajan

What if it is implemented on all the surface ships, we will never have to worry about any other countries shooting missiles on our land.
we cannot trust usa as they may spy out ships(existing) and am not clear how can a system on ship tackles missile coming from singapore or same distance

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles