Does India Plan to Buy S1000 Submarines from Russia?

ajay_ijn

Country flag
yeah Russians offer us S1000 and they themselves are trying to buy german submarines.

Atul

Founding Member
The Newer the Technology the better it is & time will test its Combat worthness. Remember the S-1000 is still not in use & is in Development.

So if it is shortlisted by the time it comes to Join our forces it will be one of the best diesel-electric submarine.

The S1000 is based on the Amur Class submarines which are a highly improved version of the Kilo-class submarine with much better quieting, new combat systems, and air-independent propulsion.

So i say we go for the S1000 for Project 75A.:2guns:

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Are there other conventional submarines Beside Project 75 Scorpene and Project 75 A (or 76?) Submarines being built at present???????? Read this old report-

Project-75A / Project-75I / Project 76

By 2007 India began a hunt for six more submarines to add to the six being built at Mazagon Docks under the mammoth Rs 18,798-crore Scorpene project. "We are now actively looking at the second line of submarines after the Scorpenes. I think the global tender for the six new submarines should be floated in the next financial year (2008-2009)," navy chief Admiral Sureesh Mehta told TOI. The contenders for the six new submarines could include the German HDW and Russian

Amur submarines, with the French Scorpenes also being in the reckoning for a repeat order.
Request for information were issued in 2007 to the French DCNS, Spanish Navantia, Russian Rubin and German HDW. "It is a new submarine. It is not the Scorpene and it is a bigger submarine with specific features," Alain Fougeron, Executive VP, DCNS says about its new submarines. The key differentiator from its existing fleet of 16 submarines will be a new class of missiles, which will establish India as the leading naval power in the region. "The missile component of the Submarine weapon is very important and it should be very powerful," Andrey V Efimov, Manager, Rubin Design Bureau, says.

The Russians are hesitant on allowing license production for the Amur, and have stated that India should purchase a few of those vessels from their shipyard. As of 2005 there was one Amur being built for export purpose. There is speculation that 6 ot 8 Amur (with 10 VLS Brahmos) might be built in India.

On 20 August 2008 it was reported that the Indian Navy's next order for seven submarines, a follow-on order to the six French-designed Scorpenes already under various stages of construction at French and Indian shipyards, will all be armed with the sub-surface version of the Indo-Russian supersonic BrahMos cruise missile. This was stated by Alexander Dergachev, chairman of board of directors of the BrahMos Aerospace joint-venture. Expressing the hope that the submarine order would be placed soon enough Dergachev said, "The missiles will be made for submarines of the Indian Navy. The nearest order is seven submarines. We do not know yet when exactly it is going to happen. I hope soon."

Initially 6 Scorpene will be built as part of Project-75 at the Mazagoan Dock, and later another 6 as part of Project-76. As part of 30 year submarine building program India plans on 24 subs of the SSK type. With 6 Scorpene plus 6 Project-76, the remaining 12-10 subs will be of an indigenous design, possibly displacing upwards of 3,000 tons, based on the best of what Scorpene and Amur has to offer. The additional six submarines will start joining the Indian Navy fleet after all the first set of six Scorpenes have joined the naval fleet.

Project 75I

In October 2008 the Indian Navy issued RFIs (request for information) to a number of international shipbuilding and design yards/firms for the next generation of submarines to be constructed at its shipyards. The RFIs were issued to Russian (Rosoboronexport), French (Armaris) and German (HDW) firms, among others. At that time another round of discussions appeared likely before the RFP (request for proposal), or a global tender, was issued in late-2008 or early-2009. To be executed under Project-75A all the six vessels of this second line of diesel-electric submarines, were to be equipped with air-independent propulsion (AIP).
Project-75A / Project-75I / Project 76

StealthSniper

I think the Russian know how to make a good sub and the S1000 from Russia is a good sub. All I know is we should have AIP on these new subs and it would be good to see how the 6 new subs we get for India match the U-214 that's in operation with Pakistan. Also it's a shame that we don't have AIP for our Scorpene subs.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
I think the Russian know how to make a good sub and the S1000 from Russia is a good sub. All I know is we should have AIP on these new subs and it would be good to see how the 6 new subs we get for India match the U-214 that's in operation with Pakistan. Also it's a shame that we don't have AIP for our Scorpene subs.
U214 is not in operation with pakistan. They are considering to acquire three. German manufacturer agreed to sell. But It will take some years to acquire them. atleast 4-5 years. There most modern submerine is three Aghosta at present. One of them has AIP facility installed.

Last three of six Scorpenes will have AIP facility.

Regards,

Igorr

Professional
yeah Russians offer us S1000 and they themselves are trying to buy german submarines.
It doesn't try indeed. It was a misinformation of a low qualified correspondent. They only 'expressed interest' in German AIP hydrogen cells.

bhramos

Country flag
I think S-1000 had capability of best Fuel cell Tech then Armur class subs,
S-1000 would be best,

Iceman007

Why not just go for an improved Dolphin (modified on the U-214 as opposed to the original U-209 based one).......Its got 10 torpedo tubes including 4 650mm ones, place for 10 commandoes for covert ops and high degree of automation..........Another factor could be that Israel uses the older design Dolphins and we could "exchange notes" with them

Global Defence

New threads

Articles