Does Cavalry in the traditional sense still have a place on modern battlefields?

A.V.

Having watched The Lighthorsemen on Australia Day and remembering how 800 men charged entrenched positions with machineguns and artillery and then also remembering the USSOF troops on horseback in Afghanistan I wondered if anyone believes that there is still a place in modern warfare for mounted troops.

Especially against a nomadic/tribal people such as the Taliban....in country that has rugged terrain etc.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forum...nse-still-have-a-place-on-modern-battlefields

Just throwing it out there to see if anyone thinks it's a grand idea, or a completely idiotic and outdated mode of warfare that has no place on today's battlefields.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I don't know about the employability of horses in combat, but mules for ferrying stores in the mountains is God sent!

I would swear by the Mules, General Service (GS) or Mountain Artillery (MA) or even the local Small Donkeys (SD).

God Bless these Mules!

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
They are worthless from a protection standpoint. For mobility they are useless in mountains where pack animals are more productive. On the plains where they operate best, they are wholly obsolete.

p2prada

In the Taliban POV. US will have a lot of trouble trying to kill the Insurgent without killing the Horse. PETA will be on them like never before. :p

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Horses are very Intelligent & obedient Animals just like Dogs...

I don't see its use in Warfare but its a excellent tool for patrolling borders just like BSF do with Camels, Its fast and Eco-friendly..

Also in civilian world its very effective to control mobs, A horse man is a iconic figure and very dominating..

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It is expensive to purchase, train and manage animals.

Manage means the Staff to use it and the staff to maintain it and the forage, accommodation and transportation.

ApFaq

Believe it or not, in rugged mountainousness terrains like the Pakistan - Afghanistan border where impassable terrain makes all motorized land vehicles useless, horses or any mode of transportation can be of great asset to the troops operating in these mountain ranges.

The Taliban and the terrorist organizations use horses and motorcycles to navigate these difficult terrain.

Basically saying that the Calvary can have its uses in some locations or in some specific conditions/battlefields.

Last edited:

Rage

DFI TEAM
Here's another 'benefit' of having traditional Cavalry in the Army:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles