Do you think that Taiwan and India can become real allies? Why or why not?

Do you think Taiwan and India can become real allies?

• Total voters

MilkTeaAlliance32

Country flag
My Indian friends,
I honestly see Indians online all the time enthusiastically expressing their profound and full support to the people of Taiwan, and I am sorry that sometimes, this is not always reciprocated, as most Taiwanese people are probably not as fluent as English as you are, and do not have much direct contact with Indians, online or in real life.

But please, understand that your support has NOT gone unnoticed, and to those Taiwanese people who are aware of your support, they are extremely moved and grateful. As a gesture of thanks and appreciation, I would like to share what Taiwanese people are saying in support of India (they usually post in Chinese and on websites which most Indians have never even heard of), and I will like to try to translate some of these messages here.

Note: NOT all Taiwanese people are pro-India. Some are actually pro-China (nationalist and cultural reasons), especially older generations in the KMT; please don't take it too personally, as those same people are even resentful and sometimes even hostile to America (who is much closer to Taiwan). According to a Pew Research poll, 57% of KMT members view America favorably, and 66% of them view mainland China favorably.

Try to remember Taiwan is a very complex and divided society, with a wide variety of different views and opinions, not unlike Democrats and Republicans, and even Indian political parties (for example, I know that some Indians like America, and others hate America).

These are videos made by a very popular Taiwanese person:
Why does India have few Olympic medals? (Goes on to talk about Indian society and ancient cultural values):

The decline of Buddhism in India, lots of Taiwanese people revere Buddhism (basically a video about the Muslim invasions)

印度 加油!
"India refuel!"
當然是支持印度啊!因為那擺明了打贏西藏就獨立了!
"Of course we support India! Because if that makes it clear if you win, Tibet will become independent."
看標題就知道中國時報了,只有中時才會叫中國是祖國,沒舔會死!
"Only this newspaper would call China the motherland, if they do not lick China, they would die."
台灣人絕對挺印度的,只有狗才舔中
"Taiwanese people absolutely support India, only dogs would support China."
中時不是媒體,是共產黨大外宣官方機構。
當然是支持印度打爆中國, 一路打到中南海~
"The Central Times is not media, but rather the Communist Party's state-controlled propaganda apparatus. Of course we support India, we support them striking all the way to the South China Sea."
垃圾舔中媒體,
台灣大部分的人會支持印度吧,
腦殘的人才會支持用飛彈對著你的中國解放軍~
"Garbage newspaper, in Taiwan, most people would support India, only brainless people would support the PLA pointing missiles at you."
中時支持中共,我無條件支持印度
"This newspaper might support the Chinese Communists, I unconditionally support India."
當然支持印度啊⋯⋯
"Of course we support India..."

"India!"
"Whoever attacks China, I support them."
I support curry!"
"Those who attack China, I completely support."
"Who attacks the China country, I entirely support."
"I cannot find any reason to support the Chinese Communists."
"I support any country who fights China."
"Both should be beaten."
"Of course India."
"India."

And here are some threads from a while back, during the border disputes, keep in mind these are from younger and less restrained Taiwanese people, in their college years, so they are very casual and forthright in their language (please try to keep an open mind at some of the comments. You can use Google Translate to translate these pages if you'd like: XD

"India has no missiles aimed at us."
"I support the progenitors of culture India, cockroach Chinese people should all be wiped out."
"Taiwanese people have no influence, what use there is supporting them?"
"Do you even to ask - the enemy of our enemy is our friend."
"If we really have to choose, it is India, the country on the other side of the strait is our enemy, India only has some objectionable social issues."
"Willing to donate to help support India."
"Of course India, Chinese people should all be destroyed."
"I will always support China's opponents, come on India, blow up the 426 (slang for Chinese people)."
"Of course I support India, smash the Chinese bastards."
"Absolutely - support India."
"India, because curry rice is delicious." XD
"China has been raping Xinjiang, Tibet, Hong Kong and wants to spread its poison to Taiwan."
"Aiming missiles at us, poisoning and brainwashing information wars...blood is thicker than water??"
"No need to ask, I support China....being destroyed."
"Whomsoever can kill the Chinese pigs, I completely support."
"India. If someone wants to rape you and they are from the same race and ethnicity [mainland China], do you allow them to assault you?"
"Support India to kill the residual poison of the Marxist-Leninist colony."
"Of course India; whatever they are lacking, I am willing to send them."
"As long as China is overthrown, I support whomever overthrows them."
"Support India using their nuclear weapons to bathe the Chinese in blood."
"Of course India, this way, Taiwan will not be threatened all day long."
"Support India, donate, raise money, and help in any way you can."
"Organ harvesting in Tibet and concentration camps is not much better? The Communist Party has committed mass crimes."
"India, I hope India can get better and better."
"China is an enemy country, what do you mean, blood is thicker than water??"
"There is no need to discuss this, India, case closed."
"After the Communist Party falls, then we discuss which to support."
"India at least is friendly to Taiwan - China, go eat waste."
"I support India destroying China."
"Long live Taiwan-India friendship!"
"Definitely India."
"India, India is the motherland of the Buddha."
"I support Indians, in the past, working with Indians in the lab, I found them very friendly."
"Obviously we support India; the enemy of the enemy is my friend, India refuel!"
"The Taiwan faction supports India, the China faction supports China."
"India destroying the Communist Party should be a positive thing for the Chinese people."
"It has nothing to do with Taiwan."
"The US and Russia are standing behind India, how can they lose?"
"Indian engineers have made huge contributions to mannkind, of course India."

(Two other similar threads, you can try to translate their comments also.)

India Facebook Comments.jpg

Taiwanese Support for India.jpeg

Taiwan India Parliamentary.png

Kumaoni

India can become allies with China, Taiwan, whoever whoever.

We are becoming a cilvizational state again, hell bent on regaining economic glory. Those who believe in so called western liberalism can never be our allies, or those who outright disrespect our integral sovereignty like China did.

SKC

Country flag
Taiwan is only getting close to India because China is heating up the borders.

Taiwan has similar claims on Indian territories are China has today. They even want more of our land than Mainland China hold currently.

Unless you let go of the claims genuinely I don't see point into having more co-operation.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
Are you from Taiwan?

Now coming to the question of "whether India and Taiwan can become allies". Well this all depends on the interest of both the nations.

Before we even think of becoming allies, we need to do the most important thing which is Recognise Taiwan as a Sovereign country.

Few countries are the list of being Countries which currently recognise Taiwan as the ROC. The list includes countries like :

Belize, Guatemala, Haiti, Holy See, Honduras, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Nicaragua, Palau, Paraguay, St Lucia, St Kitts and Nevis, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Swaziland and Tuvalu.

Or maybe we can exclude the part of recognition of Taiwan. The United States had maintained Taiwan's recognition for 30 years after the Chinese civil war but switched in 1979. Despite this, the U.S. has maintained a positive relationship with Taiwan. Same can be done with India. Instead of formally recognising Taiwan, india can unofficially establish Diplomatic ties with Taiwan and Trade should be done with each other in larger Scale.

[DISCLAIMER : ALL THE MATTER WRITTEN BY ME IN THIS POST ONLY REFLECT MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION]

Cheepek

If Taiwan survives a decade or two, then I see a full fledged defence pact between India and Taiwan.

If the Western countries throw their support behind Taiwan sincerely, (like: "we are ready for a full fledged war") then maybe even earlier.
India Taiwan relationship has some teething issues, which can be overcome very easily when there is a common monster to fight.

India Super Power

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
My Indian friends,
I honestly see Indians online all the time enthusiastically expressing their profound and full support to the people of Taiwan, and I am sorry that sometimes, this is not always reciprocated, as most Taiwanese people are probably not as fluent as English as you are, and do not have much direct contact with Indians, online or in real life.

But please, understand that your support has NOT gone unnoticed, and to those Taiwanese people who are aware of your support, they are extremely moved and grateful. As a gesture of thanks and appreciation, I would like to share what Taiwanese people are saying in support of India (they usually post in Chinese and on websites which most Indians have never even heard of), and I will like to try to translate some of these messages here.

Note: NOT all Taiwanese people are pro-India. Some are actually pro-China (nationalist and cultural reasons), especially older generations in the KMT; please don't take it too personally, as those same people are even resentful and sometimes even hostile to America (who is much closer to Taiwan). According to a Pew Research poll, 57% of KMT members view America favorably, and 66% of them view mainland China favorably.

Try to remember Taiwan is a very complex and divided society, with a wide variety of different views and opinions, not unlike Democrats and Republicans, and even Indian political parties (for example, I know that some Indians like America, and others hate America).

These are videos made by a very popular Taiwanese person:
Why does India have few Olympic medals? (Goes on to talk about Indian society and ancient cultural values):

The decline of Buddhism in India, lots of Taiwanese people revere Buddhism (basically a video about the Muslim invasions)

印度 加油!
"India refuel!"
當然是支持印度啊!因為那擺明了打贏西藏就獨立了!
"Of course we support India! Because if that makes it clear if you win, Tibet will become independent."
看標題就知道中國時報了,只有中時才會叫中國是祖國,沒舔會死!
"Only this newspaper would call China the motherland, if they do not lick China, they would die."
台灣人絕對挺印度的,只有狗才舔中
"Taiwanese people absolutely support India, only dogs would support China."
中時不是媒體,是共產黨大外宣官方機構。
當然是支持印度打爆中國, 一路打到中南海~
"The Central Times is not media, but rather the Communist Party's state-controlled propaganda apparatus. Of course we support India, we support them striking all the way to the South China Sea."
垃圾舔中媒體,
台灣大部分的人會支持印度吧,
腦殘的人才會支持用飛彈對著你的中國解放軍~
"Garbage newspaper, in Taiwan, most people would support India, only brainless people would support the PLA pointing missiles at you."
中時支持中共,我無條件支持印度
"This newspaper might support the Chinese Communists, I unconditionally support India."
當然支持印度啊⋯⋯
"Of course we support India..."

"India!"
"Whoever attacks China, I support them."
I support curry!"
"Those who attack China, I completely support."
"Who attacks the China country, I entirely support."
"I cannot find any reason to support the Chinese Communists."
"I support any country who fights China."
"Both should be beaten."
"Of course India."
"India."

And here are some threads from a while back, during the border disputes, keep in mind these are from younger and less restrained Taiwanese people, in their college years, so they are very casual and forthright in their language (please try to keep an open mind at some of the comments. You can use Google Translate to translate these pages if you'd like: XD

"India has no missiles aimed at us."
"I support the progenitors of culture India, cockroach Chinese people should all be wiped out."
"Taiwanese people have no influence, what use there is supporting them?"
"Do you even to ask - the enemy of our enemy is our friend."
"If we really have to choose, it is India, the country on the other side of the strait is our enemy, India only has some objectionable social issues."
"Willing to donate to help support India."
"Of course India, Chinese people should all be destroyed."
"I will always support China's opponents, come on India, blow up the 426 (slang for Chinese people)."
"Of course I support India, smash the Chinese bastards."
"Absolutely - support India."
"India, because curry rice is delicious." XD
"China has been raping Xinjiang, Tibet, Hong Kong and wants to spread its poison to Taiwan."
"Aiming missiles at us, poisoning and brainwashing information wars...blood is thicker than water??"
"No need to ask, I support China....being destroyed."
"Whomsoever can kill the Chinese pigs, I completely support."
"India. If someone wants to rape you and they are from the same race and ethnicity [mainland China], do you allow them to assault you?"
"Support India to kill the residual poison of the Marxist-Leninist colony."
"Of course India; whatever they are lacking, I am willing to send them."
"As long as China is overthrown, I support whomever overthrows them."
"Support India using their nuclear weapons to bathe the Chinese in blood."
"Of course India, this way, Taiwan will not be threatened all day long."
"Support India, donate, raise money, and help in any way you can."
"Organ harvesting in Tibet and concentration camps is not much better? The Communist Party has committed mass crimes."
"India, I hope India can get better and better."
"China is an enemy country, what do you mean, blood is thicker than water??"
"There is no need to discuss this, India, case closed."
"After the Communist Party falls, then we discuss which to support."
"India at least is friendly to Taiwan - China, go eat waste."
"I support India destroying China."
"Long live Taiwan-India friendship!"
"Definitely India."
"India, India is the motherland of the Buddha."
"I support Indians, in the past, working with Indians in the lab, I found them very friendly."
"Obviously we support India; the enemy of the enemy is my friend, India refuel!"
"The Taiwan faction supports India, the China faction supports China."
"India destroying the Communist Party should be a positive thing for the Chinese people."
"It has nothing to do with Taiwan."
"The US and Russia are standing behind India, how can they lose?"
"Indian engineers have made huge contributions to mannkind, of course India."

(Two other similar threads, you can try to translate their comments also.)

View attachment 157521

View attachment 157522

View attachment 157523
See bro I really like Taiwan but leaving the point that thay still claim ladakh and Arunachal
But that's not a major ones
I would be delighted if we establish a real diplomatic relationship
Our aimless past leaders have pushed one China policy although they never did same to us and challenged our sovereignty
I fucking hate China and if u too then there must be no boundary between us
I would be happy if we could help u arming yourself with bhramos, tanks, ground based radars and few naval vessels but u have America but we should as what China is doing in our neighborhood

Super Flanker

Country flag
See bro I really like Taiwan but leaving the point that thay still claim ladakh and Arunachal
Our aimless past leaders have pushed one China policy although they never did same to us and challenged our sovereignty
I would be happy if we could help u arming yourself with bhramos, tanks, ground based radars and few naval vessels but u have America but we should as what China is doing in our neighborhood
America is not a trustworthy partner as it has proven in the past to be. From my POV, Taiwan should prepare for the worst on its own.

Depending on US for it's national security is a bad idea. We have already seen how unreliable US is in Afghanistan.

If Let's say a full Scale war does happen between China and Taiwan with China's goal being reunification of Taiwan, than to counter a PLAN assault, from my POV, Taiwan should focus more on defending, and how will you Defend Against Chinese Ships? Yes! By using cruise missiles. Warships should also be used by Taiwan as well but missiles (Anti Air/Anti ship etc) will play the most important role in defending the Taiwanese mainland.

MilkTeaAlliance32

Country flag
At least among most young Taiwanese people, I don't think there is much interest in Arunachal Pradesh (South Tibet), besides, if you watched the earlier videos I posted, lots of Taiwanese people actually don't mind having them marked as Indian territory, because that is the current reality today. There are some older, like 50-60 year old KMT supporting men who still complain about that, but it is like an outdated and irrelevant issue to 90% of ordinary Taiwanese people. I mean, technically, Mongolia is "part" of the ROC, but no one in Taiwan is seriously thinking of taking that territory, and Taiwan and Mongolia actually have unofficial relations.

Here's another Taiwanese news channel video of India, look at the map it displays:

Here is a news video from the Liberty Times regarding improving Taiwan-India relations, this is a pro-DPP news group. "Modi said India and Taiwan are like the body and soul, both are inseparable." XD

And here is the news article:

India and China erupted in their worst conflict in 45 years in May. India was once a notoriously non-aligned country, but this time the Indian government obviously couldn't bear it. At the Shanghai Cooperation Organization summit on November 10, Modi stressed the need to respect each other's sovereignty and territory in front of Xi Jinping. At the BRICS summit, Modi once again criticized China's "hard-core ally" Pakistan, insisting that all the terrorist attacks within India were caused by Pakistani intelligence services.

Who is Modi? He is regarded as a "saint" in India. He was elected Prime Minister of India for the first time in 2014, defeated the Congress Party, which has been in power for nearly 10 years since 2004, and started the "Modi whirlwind" in Indian politics, and was re-elected in 2019.

At the end of June 2020, after India blocked 59 mobile device applications in China, including Douyin, on the grounds of national security, Modi took the lead in boycotting China by deleting his Weibo account with 240,000 followers in early July. Modi's ambition to turn India into a manufacturing power in "Modi Economics" coincides with Taiwan's New Southbound Policy. Coupled with the deterioration of Sino-Indian relations, Taiwan-India relations have gradually warmed up.

Major international manufacturers such as Samsung in South Korea and Apple in the United States have successively withdrawn from China and transferred to India, which shows that countries are very optimistic about India's population and economic conditions, and India will become the next world factory in the future. Also in the face of the rise of Chinese hegemony, Taiwan and India are bound to support each other and cooperate closely in the foreseeable future. As Modi said, "Taiwan and India are body and soul, inseparable."

It is a bit like the Diaoyutai island dispute with Japan during Shinzo Abe; lots of Taiwanese people were "annoyed", but they didn't stop loving and obsessing over Japan or its culture, or stop visiting Tokyo in droves. I think only one country today expects and demands most of its people to automatically hate other countries they have territorial disputes with, and that is in fact not Taiwan. :)

Last edited:

MilkTeaAlliance32

Country flag
And for example, Taiwan's government freely embraces the Dalai Lama -- just because the ROC map "technically" has remained the same since they fled from the mainland, doesn't mean that Taiwan's government hates Tibetan people, or their leader, or are against him visiting Taiwan! Taiwanese people don't see things in black-or-white just some other peoples do. Many Taiwanese people might be kind of neutral on the issue of actual Tibetan independence, but they do revere the Dalai Lama as a great Buddhist and spiritual leader! :)

MilkTeaAlliance32

Country flag
Should we make a China-Taiwan War simulation thread?
If you want to, my friend, again, I haven't done many simulations before, I usually just study, read and analyse events and geopolitics intensely, but I can try to help!

One thing I never understood is this: Why did India during Indira Gandhi choose to vote against Taiwan (ROC)'s government in the United Nations, when they had such horrible relations with the PRC? And this was during the war with East Pakistan, when the PRC was still fully supporting their ally (along with pretty much everything that happened there, i.e. deaths of 3 million Bengali people)?? This never made sense to me...

1653556540403.png

Super Flanker

Country flag
If you want to, my friend, again, I haven't done many simulations before, I usually just study, read and analyse events and geopolitics intensely, but I can try to help!

One thing I never understood is this: Why did India during Indira Gandhi choose to vote against Taiwan (ROC)'s government in the United Nations, when they had such horrible relations with the PRC? And this was during the war with East Pakistan, when the PRC was still fully supporting their ally (along with pretty much everything that happened there, i.e. deaths of 3 million Bengali people)?? This never made sense to me...

View attachment 157557
Because during that time our leaders thought that China could be our Ally and all that "Hindi-Chini bhai bhai"(English Translation : "India-China brother brother!) Mindset was present within the minds of our leaders. Please refer to GOOGLE why it happened. Don't worry, we have realised that China can never be trusted.

Coming to the war simulation, mate it's simple, you know a lot about Taiwan because presumably you are From there AFAIK. So it will help us a lot too in making Different decisions on the simulated battle.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

View attachment 157557
Read the context of timing here. India was in middle of preparations for liberation of East Pakistan , and didn't want PRC to send military support to pakistan. in Oct 1971 this happened, and on Dec 16 1971 Bangladesh was created from East Pakistan.

MilkTeaAlliance32

Country flag
Read the context of timing here. India was in middle of preparations for liberation of East Pakistan , and didn't want PRC to send military support to pakistan. in Oct 1971 this happened, and on Dec 16 1971 Bangladesh was created from East Pakistan.

That's interesting...but wasn't China a major supporter of Pakistan during the war anyway, at least diplomatically and economically, and tried to block Bangladesh afterwards? (I don't know if they sent weapons or not).

P.S. I came to this forum partly because lots of people in Taiwan are talking about imminent war, more than ever, especially after Biden said he would use military force to protect Taiwan against China, and after seeing what happened in Ukraine, lots of people are worried there might be a repeat. I also remembered a famous quote by the Chinese leader Mao, "The enemy of our enemy is our friend." Well, if even the Great Leader of the PRC says so, then how can we possibly disagree with such wisdom? I don't want Taiwan to become the new province of China, we all know what happened to those places that China "absorbed", what is going on there today. I honestly think most young Taiwanese people would just take a plane and permanently move away if Taiwan was conquered eventually.

Again, there are some KMT members who are pro-China and pro-reunification out of ethnic or racial nationalism, but they are honestly growing older every day and a dying breed, to put it bluntly, the KMT is one of the most unpopular parties in Taiwan right now (the White Terror and all that, read about it, and they are seen as "appeasing" China all the time). Barely over 20% of Taiwanese people give them a positive rating in a poll conducted several months ago; they are seen as an outdated and obsolete relic of a time long since past.

But here's what you don't get -- the mainland Chinese young generation IS becoming much more pro-China, they are moving in the entirely opposite direction and trend -- and are becoming much more pro-government and nationalist than even their parents' generation, always fiercely defending China. You can go to Quora to see how quickly the new Chinese generation is to defend the Chinese government from criticism and deny the existence of its controversial actions.

Last edited:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
That's interesting...but wasn't China a major supporter of Pakistan during the war anyway, at least diplomatically and economically, and tried to block Bangladesh afterwards? (I don't know if they sent weapons or not).

P.S. I came to this forum partly because lots of people in Taiwan are talking about imminent war, more than ever, especially after Biden said he would use military force to protect Taiwan against China, and after seeing what happened in Ukraine, lots of people are worried there might be a repeat. I also remembered a famous quote by the Chinese leader Mao, "The enemy of our enemy is our friend." Well, if even the Great Leader of the PRC says so, then how can we possibly disagree with such wisdom? I don't want Taiwan to become the new province of China, we all know what happened to those places that China "absorbed", what is going on there today. I honestly think most young Taiwanese people would just take a plane and permanently move away if Taiwan was conquered eventually.
i am of the opinion that, as of today chances are not good for taiwan. hence my earlier question, how prepared is taiwan to hold off PLA and militias for a month or two.

There are zero indications that US will put boots on the ground in taiwan (atleast publicly), "US military advisors" may come and help a bit like they are doing in ukraine, but most of the leg work will have to be done by taiwanese themselves.

mokoman

Country flag

Again, there are some KMT members who are pro-China and pro-reunification out of ethnic or racial nationalism, but they are honestly growing older every day and a dying breed, to put it bluntly, the KMT is one of the most unpopular parties in Taiwan right now (the White Terror and all that, read about it, and they are seen as "appeasing" China all the time). Barely over 20% of Taiwanese people give them a positive rating in a poll conducted several months ago; they are seen as an outdated and obsolete relic of a time long since past.

But here's what you don't get -- the mainland Chinese young generation IS becoming much more pro-China, they are moving in the entirely opposite direction and trend -- and are becoming much more pro-government and nationalist than even their parents' generation, always fiercely defending China. You can go to Quora to see how quickly the new Chinese generation is to defend the Chinese government from criticism and deny the existence of its controversial actions.
seen this mentioned on chinese weibo .

heard of china giving out scolarships , job opportunities , and still new generation Taiwanese dislike mainland

they are convinced that peaceful unification will be impossible.

Sanglamorre

Country flag

You shouldn't keep faith in USA and its major allies like Japan, Australia etc. Time and again, USA has proved itself capable of abandoning allies or using allies to fulfill its objectives. As long as China ensures USA and the west keeps getting their semiconductors, Taiwan is negotiable for them.

mokoman

Country flag
hard to say what US will do a decade or 2 from now , Chinese navy will be large . they will have some parity with US navy then atleast close to taiwan.

but all actions point to US intervening during an invasion , atleast now .

You shouldn't keep faith in USA and its major allies like Japan, Australia etc. Time and again, USA has proved itself capable of abandoning allies or using allies to fulfill its objectives. As long as China ensures USA and the west keeps getting their semiconductors, Taiwan is negotiable for them.
why on earth would US believe China will stick to such an agreement .

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles