Do we deserve Jana Gana Mana as our National Anthem???

aeroblogger

^^ Saare Jahaan se was penned by Iqbal probably that's why it lost out.
Yeah, I realize that's why it isn't the national anthem. But I feel that it would be a better one than Jana Gana Mana regardless of composer... Obviously, the founding fathers of India thought otherwise...

mikhail

Country flag
I've always felt that "Saare Jahan Se Achcha" should be our national anthem. I have no problem with Jana Gana Mana, but I just feel that Saare Jahan Se Achcha has a more National Anthem meaning to it.
Saare Jahan Se Achcha was penned by the renowned urdu poet Iqbal who was a champion for the cause of partition.so i don't think we can make a song written by a man like him as our national anthem as it will incite widespread unrest among the majority of Indian citizens!:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
^^ Saare Jahaan se was penned by Iqbal probably that's why it lost out.
The national anthem of Pakistan or Qaumī Tarāna (Urdu: قومى ترانہ), is played during any event involving the hoisting of the flag, for example Republic Day (March 23) and Independence Day (August 14). The Constituent Assembly had not adopted a national anthem by the time Pakistan became independent, so when the flag was hoisted at the independence ceremony it was accompanied by the song, "Pakistan Zindabad, Azadi Paendabad". Muhammad Ali Jinnah asked a Lahore-based Hindu writer, Jagan Nath Azad, to write a national anthem for Pakistan.[22] Jinnah may have done this to promote a more secular idealism for Pakistan.[23] The anthem written by Azad was quickly approved by Jinnah, and it was played on Radio Pakistan.[24] Azad's work remained as Pakistan's national anthem for about eighteen months.
]National symbols of Pakistan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by a moderator:

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
I've always felt that "Saare Jahan Se Achcha" should be our national anthem. I have no problem with Jana Gana Mana, but I just feel that Saare Jahan Se Achcha has a more National Anthem meaning to it.
In "Saare Jahan Se Achcha" Iqbal describes India and Indians through an Islamic lens. No way it could have been the national anthem

aeroblogger

In "Saare Jahan Se Achcha" Iqbal describes India and Indians through an Islamic lens. No way it could have been the national anthem
The only line I can think of which would fit that is:
ए अब रौद गंगा वो दिन है याद तुझको
उतर तेरे किनारे जब कारवाँ हमारा

I don't see any other lines which wouldn't align with our national identity today...

aeroblogger

Well, after a lot of thought, every obvious choice seems to have a problem.
Jana Gana Mana ... King George
Vande Mataram ... Muslims oppose
Saare Jahan Se Achcha ... Hindus oppose
Ragupathi Raghav Raja Ram ...Too pacifist

I think, for the sake of non-controversialness, the national anthem should become "Mera Joota Hai Japani"

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Well, after a lot of thought, every obvious choice seems to have a problem.
Jana Gana Mana ... King George
Vande Mataram ... Muslims oppose
Saare Jahan Se Achcha ... Hindus oppose
Ragupathi Raghav Raja Ram ...Too pacifist

I think, for the sake of non-controversialness, the national anthem should become "Mera Joota Hai Japani"
:notbad:...........:truestory:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The way things are going, someone may even question that do we deserve our country?!

aeroblogger

The way things are going, someone may even question that do we deserve our country?!
Well, I certainly wouldn't question that. Despite all her flaws, India is my homeland. And a great homeland at that :)

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Well, I certainly wouldn't question that. Despite all her flaws, India is my homeland. And a great homeland at that :)

Despite what is my Flag, National Anthem, National song.

It does not matter who thinks what. What matters is what I think is what.

I embrace with love all things given to me by my land.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
The question is never whether India is great or not but whether Indians are. Also the question is " do we deserve our great nation;)"

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
The only line I can think of which would fit that is:
ए अब रौद गंगा वो दिन है याद तुझको
उतर तेरे किनारे जब कारवाँ हमारा

I don't see any other lines which wouldn't align with our national identity today...

हिन्दी है हम वतन है हिन्दोस्तान हमारा ॥५॥
or
hindī haiñ ham, vat̤an hai hindostāñ hamārā

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Dont you think the title of the thread is wrong? It is not conveying what the thread starter wanted to say....

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Dont you think the title of the thread is wrong? It is not conveying what the thread starter wanted to say....
I presume the thread aimed at indicating the contradiction in the current state of our Nation - fractured with divisions - with the national anthem indicating the intrinsic cohesion that should bind us all!

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
No offence but does that song(anthem) mention anything about the North Eastern part of India aka NE states? :confused:

[email protected]

C'est la vie
dont know if someone's already posted this but wasn't Jan gan Man originally written in Praise of King George ??

aeroblogger

व्यक्ती व्यक्ती मे जगाये धर्म चेतना ("Vyakti Vyakti Mein Jagaye Dharm Chetana") would make a good national anthem methinks. I don't think the minorities would like it though.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
No offence but does that song(anthem) mention anything about the North Eastern part of India aka NE states? :confused:
It mentions "Banga" which includes entire North East including today's Bengladesh. Banga is representative the similar way as the word "dravida" which connotes a vast geographic region. It also mentions Punjab which comprised then of Pakistani Punjab, Indian Punjab Pakhtun Tribal region and Balochistan, J&K, Haryana and Himachal. The song mentions Himachal to mean all Himalayan states, that is J&K, Himachal, (may be Nepal, Sikkim and Bhutan) Arunachal and Assam. What more do you want?

By the way it also names Sindh which is cultural heart beat of India even today though not part of today's geographic India.

So do not fish in troubled waters.... today India has created many other political entities like Jharkhand, Chattisgarh, Uttarakhand and Sikkim... Goa and far away Andaman and Nicobar..
Next step would be you demanding to scrap the song since their names does not figure in the anthem.

Last edited:

Global Defence

Articles