Divertless Supersonic Intakes

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
Divertless Supersonic Intakes (DSI) is an air intake that was designed for supersonic flight regime, so the plane doesn´t need to have any variable-geometry airintake, that´s why it is called DSI. In supersoniv flight regime, it is hard for an airplane to turn, especially kulbit. In order to gain airflow to the engine, most fighters uses variable-geometry air intakes, or moving air intakes that we could found in F-22, or Su-27, or MiG-29, or any other fighters. Fighter such like F-35 doesn´t need any moving parts because it uses DSI. DSI automatically gain airflow to the engine in supersonic flight regime

People claiming Jf-17 & J10B also has DSI intake. Experts please explain

ironman

Country flag
J-10

Conventional Box Type Intake

DSI​

Jf-17
Older model (up to PT03)​

DSI (newer one, production type)​

A closer look​

Really a good job done by China..

ironman

Country flag
I've found an interesting Pic of f-8 Crusader 3. I doubt its an early version of this concept even though the technical study has taken place in 1990's.

bhramos

Country flag
nice find,
could any one find DSI on the Russian Planes.
by the way F-4 plane looks like Mig-27's Fins in the bottom.

Rage

DFI TEAM
The thing about Divertless Supersonic intakes is that they work in tandem with forward-swept cowls to redirect unwanted boundary layer airflow away from the inlets, in effect performing the operations of heavier, more costly and more complex mechanisms used by current fighters: such as mesoflap passive transpiration systems that reduce interaction between turbulent boundary airflow and an impinging shock by 'passively' activating mesoflaps to direct air circulation through a cavity at supersonic speeds; or active/passive riblets / MEMS (microelectromechanical systems) that make use of vortex generators, bumps, fluidic systems and mechanical or pneumatic devices to effect a laminar airflow technique. The technique with DSI is relatively simple (in aeronautical terms): it works to create a compression surface that will deviate most of the boundary layer airflow away from the air inlet intakes at speeds of upto Mach 2. The other benefit ofcourse is the relative bantam reduction in RCS by concealing the craft's engine fans.

bhramos

Country flag
why could not HAL devolop DSI on Mig-27 or Jaguar planes as they are licensed versions.
or even on LCA?

icecoolben

Probably china was transferd the technology through the lavi programme, which in-turn was fed to it by lockheed martin which developed f-35 with divert-less air-intake. So,its no wonder russians, europeons and indians have developed this. Had v worked with lock-heed to develop tejas without the abrupt 1998 sanctions, we would have had access to the technology, even could have completed the aircraft development and even participated as a competitor for gripen.

albert_008

Probably china was transferd the technology through the lavi programme, which in-turn was fed to it by lockheed martin which developed f-35 with divert-less air-intake. So,its no wonder russians, europeons and indians have developed this. Had v worked with lock-heed to develop tejas without the abrupt 1998 sanctions, we would have had access to the technology, even could have completed the aircraft development and even participated as a competitor for gripen.

You are good at imagination. So, next time if you see a chinese jet fighter with CARET inlet which was also used by F22, you will probably have the same guess. Or something like this, China stole caret technology from lock-heed etc.
:twizt:

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
I have same doubt too but i cannot able to confirm this, it is very difficult to locate the specification of Lavi. If anybody have please post it

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
None of the LAVI prototypes have DSI installations.
The Lavi had three prototypes. No pictures are available of the 3rd one. :wink:

This is the one which was rumored to be observed/studied by China.

Koji

If that were true, I'm sure China wouldn't have bothered with the intake on the J-10A would they?

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
If that were true, I'm sure China wouldn't have bothered with the intake on the J-10A would they?
I did not say that the 3rd prototype had DSI.

And tell me - why did it take the 25 years after getting the Su-27 for Chinese to develop (reverse - engineer) J-11B? (China got licence to produce J-11 in 1998, and they came up with the improvements in 2007-8). They didin't want to wait till DSI was ready for the J-10A, so they tested and produced the conventional intakes while working on trying to get the DSI configuration ready for the J-10B.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
I second! PRC did not had modern fighters at that time, thats why they rushed to J-10A to fill numbers. Now when they are equipped they are talking about J-10B. However i can't say about buying the tech or developing it by self.

albert_008

From what i know is Chendu is studying DSI back to 90s and got succeeded after 2004 or 2005. That is why you can see significant change in Jf17-04. With the success of JF-17, the technology is slowly transfered to J 10s to reduce the weight of air intake to increase performance.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles