Disruptive Military Aviation technologies

LDev

Country flag
Lockheed aims for laser on fighter by 2025!! Let me clarify that the laser to be mounted on a pod which could be carried even by a 4th gen fighter, like the F-16, will be for defensive purposes i.e. to disable air to air and surface to air missiles fired at the fighter. Offensive lasers to attack other aircraft will come later probably with the NGAD/6th gen fighter as the power requirements will be higher as they will need to work over greater distances.

Lockheed Aims For Laser On Fighter By 2025

destructodisc

Country flag
What if there was a fighter jet designed in such a way that 75% of its body structure is actually weaponry?
imagine AAMs , AGMs looking like a part of the fighter jet structure. They will be fired in an manner that even with the detachment of the weapon , which will look like loosing an aircraft part - the overall structures still flies. May be the parts from both sides are fired in tandem so that the overall symmetry witholds. Finally when all the detachable parts(armaments) are fired away ,remains the aerodynamic module which flies the Pilot back to the AFS.

May be this is already getting implemented somewhere. Most probably it is.
imagine the shape of the aircraft getting changed depending upon the Role it assumes for the mission.

charlie

Country flag
Lockheed aims for laser on fighter by 2025!! Let me clarify that the laser to be mounted on a pod which could be carried even by a 4th gen fighter, like the F-16, will be for defensive purposes i.e. to disable air to air and surface to air missiles fired at the fighter. Offensive lasers to attack other aircraft will come later probably with the NGAD/6th gen fighter as the power requirements will be higher as they will need to work over greater distances.

Lockheed Aims For Laser On Fighter By 2025

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Wont morphing while flight affect straight line stability of missile?I am not able to understand benefit here, other than giving missile seeker wider scan ?
The project is still in the early design and testing phase. According to AFRL, it’s a concept from the 1950s that wasn’t possible without modern technological developments. At the Symposium, AFRL showed off computer designed concept footage of the missile and also some on the ground testing footage.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles