Different types of Sikh Turbans

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Re: hit&run

I prefer the Indiani Pagh

The Englandi Pagh is like a wrap around without the requisite artistry.

Last edited:

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
^^^^

That's nice too. But it looks weird to me when it gets too tall and big.

I like the simple looking ones over these.

Last edited:

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod

The style of the turban depends on the region in Punjab you're from. Your first pic shows a Patiala styled turban, also known as the Shahi Dastar. Your second pic and video shows the turban style worn in Amritsar and the Majha region. So called "Bhapa" style is simply the turban style worn by Sikh migrants from regions now part of Pakistan. Next generation of Sikhs in England have made their own style, often called the "Englandi turban", and same with the Americas. There isn't really any "bad style" or "good style" of wearing turbans in general terms.

The second video I posted actually shows the guy wearing a Dumalla, the Nihang turban, and the height is actually quite normal, if not small, if you compare with normal Dumallas, especially the ones worn in Punjab. I'm sure if he found the height too much for day to day work and ease, he would change it. There's no restrictions. ;)
I don't know what has made you touchy.

Its a good thread, people are free to add their experiences, post more pictures and videos and their likes, diversify the thread ultimately giving more inputs about Sikh Turban for larger readers.

In general terms ?

Then generally the purpose is to cover the head and people in subcontinent have been doing the same with different styles of turbans in different parts of India. The Khalsa Turban is more popular and has given it a very distinct recognition as Sikh Turban amongst all the other turbans. There are two types one is formal and other is casual. Dumalla and Parna is casual style and Shahi turban and Khalsa turban is formal. Dumalla is accepted as formal for baptised Sikh women.

There are good or bad style popular in Sikh youth boys in Punjab and Girls too. I know it because I am from Punjab, have Sikh friends and know a lot what Girls studying with us liked more.

The popular turban in Punjab is in the second Picture, Khalsa Turban, its popular in Majha, Malwa and Doaba every where. The Shahi Turban is not that popular even in Patiala now a days. The one shown in First video may be popular in Canada but I have seen Sikhs in Punjab disliking other styles especially of foreign returns. The so called (as you said) Bhapa style is printed Turbans either with Shahi style but nowadays the one in your first video.

Navjot Sidhu is from Patiala but he doesn't wear Shahi Turban rather Khalsa style but bit short of cloth lenght and little flat at the apex. There was a row few years back when he openly disliked those style.

Yes I know there is no restriction but I don't like those styles, may be I have grown up with seeing better styles, I myself know how to wear a Khalsa Turban but not that proficient and fast like my friends. My college conducts Turban wearing contest every year so I know quite other styles too including Turla Turban for Bhangra which I have wore myself and its tighter than any other Turbans.

I have seen few youth in Sydney wearing ready made Turbans like Akshey Kumar did in Singh is King and they look odd.

Dumalla is also called Nihang Singh wala Dumalla or gole (round) turban so I wrote it Nihang Turban in English. 'Parna' turban, is quickest style with shortest cloth.

hit&run

Mod

This one is Majestic
There was a photo I can not find now I posted here at DFI two years back which was small replica (toy) from world war I or II of Sikh Soldiers. That was very cute and nice.

hit&run

Mod
My daughter had a classmate in elementary school who was a Sikh boy who wore a turban. This was in Chatham County, NC, USA. :)
My son plays hockey with a pool of 6 schools out of 4 having 8-10 players from Sikh families. They all wear 'Patkas' and family members cheering for them almost all wearing Turbans. Sikh Turban and Patka is quite visible in New Zealand and almost all Sikhs wear it with proud minus no persecution or odd stare by anyone. Sikh with Turbans are accepted and recognized very well in here. In Australia things are little different may be because Sikhs are old settler in New Zealand and Kiwis are much humble, accepting and intelligent.

:taunt: OZ.

Sikh_warrior

Professional

Is this the Englandi pagh?

Which one?

The light blue or the dark one?
The light blue is the punjab style and the dark one is African style, now called england style!

most of the sikhs in england came from east africa, (kenya, uganda and tanzania) sikhs were taken to east africa by british to build railwaylines.

they were kicked out by idi amin in 1972 and sikhs ended by in uk as they were british subjects in east africa, and thats how the african pagg (very compact size) landed up in england and thus england style pagg.

i use to wear the same compact size african/england style pagg during my days in EA.

Tronic

I don't know what has made you touchy.
Don't know why you took it to be touchy, man, that was hardly a touchy post. ;)

It's simple, there is no such thing as a "bad turban" since beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. Why do so many people continue to wear "bad" turbans? Because maybe they don't consider them to be "bad" turbans. ;) It's all about perspective man. Peace!

Global Defence

New threads

Articles