Did Sri lanka help pakistan during the 1971 indo-pak war ?

A.V.

Pakistan talks Kashmir, thanks Lanka for help in 1971 war

Oracle

Sri Lanka also helped Pakistan navy vessels re-fuel from Sri Lankan port during the 1971 war, which was one of the main reasons why India supported LTTE. Tit for tat!

Phenom

IIRC, they also gave refueling rights for PAF aircrafts.

India in return gave away kachativu island hoping to buy friendship from them.

Sikh_warrior

Professional
Every nation works for the best of its national interests.....except us Indians!

we work for others!

we have been given the opportunity to change ourselves, and the time has come!

no other country in the world lives in a hostile neighbourhood with one nuke armed nation on either side!

bhramos

Country flag
Every nation works for the best of its national interests.....except us Indians!

we work for others!

we have been given the opportunity to change ourselves, and the time has come!

no other country in the world lives in a hostile neighbourhood with one nuke armed nation on either side!
so do we need to clean the Nukes from our neighbourhood???
is Current GOI capable of that???
i think answer is "NO"..........

Sam2012

Tihar Jail
Banned
Instead of supporting LTTE , India should have broke through Jaffna just like what they did in East pakistan ;)

natarajan

Maybe our country does nothing usefull to us in long term instead of wasting resources

HeinzGud

Country flag
I don't think that SL helped Pakistan in 1971 just for hurting India. I think that it was a friendly move which was intended to help a fellow South Asian country embedded in a civil war and also fighting with a foreign aggressor India. It should be considered that in those times India or Pakistan wasn't a major players in international or regional politics, therefore SL motives would have been clearly based on mutual assistance to rid of internal power struggles. It should also noted that during the same time SL was also facing a internal power struggle initiated by JVP.

I think that Pakistan and LTTE propagandists exaggerated the incident to show an anti-Indian sentiment in SL as far as 1971. Pakistani motives in these kind of propaganda issues is solely to show that Pakistan has won SL support than India but LTTE propagandists motives are to create an anti-SL sentiment in India so that India can do what LTTE couldn't do. So I hope Indian policy makers are not as blind as those LTTE propagandists. Also it should be noted that Indira government helped Tamil militant outfits solely to check the American influence in SL not the refueling incident of 1971.

nrupatunga

^^^ The 2nd para is correct, esp that pakis always try to put a wedge between india's relation with every other country. India should not fall for propaganda. But we should take steps which protect/promote our interests.

mikhail

Country flag
my idea is to bomb the s**t out of SL and teach them a lesson or two about respecting a regional powerhouse like India:thumb:!if our GOI wants to teach them a lesson for the crimes they have committed against humanity the IAF won't even take 4-5 hours to neutralize each and every SL ground and air assets!these Lankan backstabbers should be taught a lesson about backstabbing a gigantic neighbor like India!perhaps after neutralizing their armed forces we can send an expeditionary force to cut of N.Lanka region having a Tamil majority and join it with the Indian Union!only then will these lankans realize they have screwed up big time by provoking a sleeping giant like India!

nrupatunga

^^^ What has been suggested should be done on pakis not lankans. WRT doing damages to our interests, compared to pakis, SL has done nothing.

Splurgenxs

Country flag
I don't think that SL helped Pakistan in 1971 just for hurting India. I think that it was a friendly move which was intended to help a fellow South Asian country embedded in a civil war and also fighting with a foreign aggressor India. It should be considered that in those times India or Pakistan wasn't a major players in international or regional politics, therefore SL motives would have been clearly based on mutual assistance to rid of internal power struggles. It should also noted that during the same time SL was also facing a internal power struggle initiated by JVP.

I think that Pakistan and LTTE propagandists exaggerated the incident to show an anti-Indian sentiment in SL as far as 1971. Pakistani motives in these kind of propaganda issues is solely to show that Pakistan has won SL support than India but LTTE propagandists motives are to create an anti-SL sentiment in India so that India can do what LTTE couldn't do. So I hope Indian policy makers are not as blind as those LTTE propagandists. Also it should be noted that Indira government helped Tamil militant outfits solely to check the American influence in SL not the refueling incident of 1971.
Words here are irrelevant. As far as the capable Authority of India is concerned ,this would be old and buried news. Reiterating old fact may rile a few sentiments and evoke a few heated statement but in entirety noting significant will happen, if peace is what both sides want.

On the other hand if war is something either of us want, then even a shower of petals, would be enough to brandish sword and be on each other throats.

News need to be read as news ,but im sure Sl is wise enough to understand Pakistani as well as Indian motivations.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Stupid double crosser's.......

They helped our enemy and then begged for help in bringing don the innocent TAMILS in SRI LANKA.......

They too should not be believed and apart from this they are killing and wounding our fishermen in the sea......

But India on the other hand is just warning their fishermen if they cross the international waters. Think Indian Navy should also shoot down the srilankan fishermen who cross over the international sea boundaries....

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
they helped us

and we helped them fighting raw supported terrorists in Sri Lanka aka ltte

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
These Sinhali`s consider themselves above everyone. Then what is the difference between them who are anti-Tamils and Nazi Germany which was anti-Jews. Hitlor slain Jews and Rajpakshe did that to innocent Tamils. Is my comparison wrong? India must teach them a strong tough lesson to be remembered forever.

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
they helped us

and we helped them fighting raw supported terrorists in Sri Lanka aka ltte
Pakistan helped them fighting RAW agents ! :D
Now this is something new to me. I wonder how it might have been done because at that time Pakistan was itself not able to cope up with the ' RAW ' factor in their lands. :tape:

Neuro

Tihar Jail
Banned
India betrayed SL tamils in every means, initially former LTTE includes moderates and extremists had three option:

1) They want to implement 13th amendment , it not at all happened

2)They want to join with India union but our nation refused

3) Then have no choice other than take the weapon.

If either of first 2 option is materialized means there is no need of 30yrs civil war tats the truth. Now everything out of our hands.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag

Nonsense.

Then who helped SL to come over the rabbid rightist Sinhala JVP movement to be crushed militarily.... who deployed their Para brigade to do that and returned back within a month...

India and India..... and SL's eternal friend India.

With good intentions and for the welbeing of Sri Lanka.

Either your knowldge is meagre or you are simply playing with words...

You are time and again ingrateful bugers....

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles