Dibrugarh girl bags gold in martial arts tournament

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
:first: DIBRUGARH: Twenty-one-year- old Swapna Boruah of Manohari Devi Kanoi Girls' College, Dibrugarh, has won a gold in individual kick-boxing at the 1st World Martial Arts Council Games held in Bangkok, Thailand, from March 12-22. Swapna was part of a 25-member contingent of kick-boxers representing India at the international event in which 56 countries took part. She participated in the 56-kg women's lightweight full-contact category. "My competitor in the finals was from Lebanon. I managed to knock her out in the first round itself. It was held on March 16. My first two matches were against France and Italy. In the semi-finals, I defeated a player from Brazil," Swapna said on Wednesday. Indian kick-boxers managed to clinch a total of five gold medals at the event. Ten categories of martial arts were held at the tournament — Muay Boran, Muay Thai, Tae Kwon Do, Kick-Boxing, Karate Kyokashinkai, Kung Fu, Jujitsu, Pencak Silat, Jeet Kune Do and Arab Boxing. Sawpna, a sixth-semester, final- year student, was felicitated by the college authorities on Monday. Lauding her for bringing glory to her country, DC (Dibrugarh) M S Manivannan said she will be felicitated during the Independence Day programme. Swapna is the third of five children of Bitul and Sintumoni Boruah of Upar Uban village at Kakopathar in Tinsukia district.

Dibrugarh girl bags gold in martial arts tournament - The Times of India

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Great going!

The girl has done India proud.

Congratulations to her.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles