Dharmic Exposition and Discussion Thread

blank_quest

Country flag
This thread is dedicated to All fundoo's who talk about Religion Day In and Out without Knowing, What the heck Religion means?

This Post is Purely Philosophical and Academic based so NO 'Khatra and Khatre main hai' kind of Post please! :rolleyes:

blank_quest

Country flag
Wikipedia Says:--

Philosophy of religion is a branch of philosophy concerned with questions regarding religion, including the nature and existence of God, the examination of religious experience, analysis of religious vocabulary and texts, and the relationship of religion and science.[1] It is an ancient discipline, being found in the earliest known manuscripts concerning philosophy, and relates to many other branches of philosophy and general thought, including metaphysics, logic, and history.[2] Philosophy of religion is frequently discussed outside of academia through popular books and debates, mostly regarding the existence of God and problem of evil.

The philosophy of religion differs from religious philosophy in that it seeks to discuss questions regarding the nature of religion as a whole, rather than examining the problems brought forth by a particular belief system. It is designed such that it can be carried out dispassionately by those who identify as believers or non-believers.
So, When we Talk about Religion, What are we actually Talking of about ?

blank_quest

Country flag
Lets Start with some light jokes! :D

The 1960s show Beyond the Fringe included a sketch satirizing philosophy. In it, Jonathan Miller and Alan Bennett play two Oxbridge philosophers discussing the role of philosophy in everyday life. It concludes like this:

Jon: "¦ the burden is fair and square on your shoulders to explain to me the exact relevance philosophy does have to everyday life.
Alan: Yes, I can do this quite easily. This morning I went into a shop, and a shop assistant was having an argument with a customer. The shop assistant said 'yes' – 'yes', you see – and the customer said 'What do you mean, "yes"?' – and the shop assistant said, 'I mean "yes".'
Jon: This is very exciting.
Alan: Here is a splendid example in everyday life where two very ordinary people are asking each other what are in essence philosophical questions – 'What do you mean, "yes"?' – 'I mean "yes"' – and where I, as a philosopher, could help them.
Jon: And did you?
Alan: Well no – they were in rather a hurry"¦
(Bennett et al., 1987, pp. 51–2)

Like above example,it is like talking of about "Yes" that is ''God'' and then Arguing "Hey what do you mean by GOD?"( Equate ''Yes'' with ''God" :D )

So,When we Talk about Religion we Talk of many 'attributes' mostly common with every Religion.
Common grounds are
1. the examination of religious experience ( Experiences later become --> Philosophy -->Existence of GOD [Either/or-maybe kind of Situation] and then that comes into--> Scriptures and then become -->Tradition and then it becomes--> Culture)
2. God is Benevolent then Why do Evil exists --> Here arises the question or Problem of Evil )

so .. Basically Religion has a common tenants! It starts with some "Experiance"----
So, Natural Question is ------>
What is this Experience ?
Who is Experiencing it?
What is the means of Experiences?
etc ....

Last edited:

blank_quest

Country flag
Indian Philosophy has following schools of philosophy ..

1 {The Sankhya Philosophy..........
The Yoga Philosophy} ...
2 {The Nyaya Philosophy
The Veisheishika Philosophy}
3 {The Mimansa Philosophy}
4 {The Vedanta Philosophy _---> has three sub schools of---> Sankar-acharya, Madhv-acharya and Ramanuj-acharya }
5 {The Buddhist Philosophy}
6 {The Jaina Philosophy}

and one Atheist School of philosophy
7 Lokyat/Charvak Philosophy...

blank_quest

Country flag
Lets take on First
Sankhya-Yoga Philosophy......
There is little difference b/w Sankhya and Yoga philosophy .. it will be dealt with later... so

so lets come to

Sankhya Philosophy..

Sankhya Philosophy is the philosophy where it is assumed that Prakrit-Purush ( material-conscious ) are the basis of this universe as the basic building blocks.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Can you explain little more. It will be nice to have these things in a specific thread.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
@Singh- May be you can merge the "Karna's grasp of Dharma" here. It had some nice points and ideas.
We can use this thread for various Dharmic treatises/practices and that one only for Karna ?
Waiting for you to set alight that thread and this one ;)

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
@MiG-29SMT If you're interested in understanding the spiritual nuances of Hinduism and how it's different from Abrahamic traditions, then this is a great video. A very respectful discussion between Rajiv Malhotra and Joshua Stanton (who's a Rabbi and Senior Fellow at CLAL - The National Jewish Center for Learning and Leadership)

This is a good video in general though. Useful for Indians too. Rajiv Malhotra basically does a "Hinduism 101"

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Necrobumping this thread.

Please use this to offload religious discussions from political and technical threads.

Provide sources and link to reading materials. (No piracy though).

Don't use crass language, get emotional or name call other members with a differing viewpoint.

royg

Country flag
I am interested in discussions with members about Indian anthropology. In particular I am focusing on Indian governance systems, concept of self and organism, extended family unit. In a way this is more of an experiment. You can reach me on twitter Narada108. Thank you.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Budgam Police recovered a 1200-yr-old (approx) sculpture of Goddess Durga from Khan Sahib of Budgam. The sculpture was handed over to Mushtaq Ahmad Beigh, Dy Director Department of Archives, Archaeology & Museums, J&K Govt & his team by Tahir Saleem Khan, SSP Budgam: J&K Police

Pertinent to mention that the said sculpture was found from river Jhelum at Pandrethan, Srinagar by labourers who were extracting sand from the river on 13th August 2021: J&K Police

BEEA8004-5AF9-4B2D-BB2C-C9A178E35FB1.jpeg

LondonParisTokyo

Country flag
Where do Hindus derive laws from? What are the origins of Hindu or dharmic jurisprudence? Where can I go to learn more about this subject?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles