DFI Computer Programming thread

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
One of the few good Reddit spaces out there for CS grads.

Also some other help regarding the Leetcode grind.

asaffronladoftherisingsun

Dharma Dispatcher
Country flag

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Tbf Koo is pretty decent right now. UX on Android has improved a lot
Good then. I have not touched Koo recently but I do support indigenous tech rather than Chinese or American sypware.

INDIAFIRST

Country flag
Recently I had a cpu breakdown and had to go to the shop from where I had brought it and to be honest it's one of the happening shop of our city
So when he was recommending cpu of Chinese made I simply said give me the Indian made....he had the laugh of his life times and suddenly became serious saying if India bans Chinese maal 💯 then I will have to close my shop the next day whatever you see I am having gets over
Point is not that we can't may cpu...point is we don't find it profitable to do it this mindset needs to change

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Recently I had a cpu breakdown and had to go to the shop from where I had brought it and to be honest it's one of the happening shop of our city
So when he was recommending cpu of Chinese made I simply said give me the Indian made....he had the laugh of his life times and suddenly became serious saying if India bans Chinese maal 💯 then I will have to close my shop the next day whatever you see I am having gets over
Point is not that we can't may cpu...point is we don't find it profitable to do it this mindset needs to change
India doesn't make any CPUs. Its mostly Taiwan, USA and South Korea. China made CPUs aren't common in Indian consumer market

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Computer Science vs Software Engineering.

Please suggest which one is better.

Your personal experience will be the best guide.

I am biased towards Software Engineering and have gone through a lot of assertion like, ‘software development only require skill; qualification or title of engineer doesn't matter’.

SE being more extensive degree, a lot of theory, more papers to pass and more years to study place it on negative side.

When comparing also suggest, long term stability of the job, chances to create own company, involvement in big projects, pay-scale, workload or vulnerability to extractive employer tactics.

Best Regards.

PS: I am asking it for my son.

nixin

I am biased towards Software Engineering and have gone through a lot of assertion like, ‘software development only require skill; qualification or title of engineer doesn't matter’.

SE being more extensive degree, a lot of theory, more papers to pass and more years to study place it on negative side.

When comparing also suggest, long term stability of the job, chances to create own company, involvement in big projects, pay-scale, workload or vulnerability to extractive employer tactics.

Best Regards.

IMO Software Engineering is just a subset of CSE since I am a CSE student in NIT Trichy,where in my previous semester as a elective subject Software Engineering was taught ,which can only be used efficiently if you know other things well like DATA Structures,Operating System ,Compilers , Database and these all are part of Computer Science itself
I will be telling according to India.
Tech Giants can hire SDEs from any branch be it civil , electrical , electronics , CSE , physics , maths ...
After hiring ,these are first given SDE1 role after which promotions are required to go to SDE2 ,SDE3 levels and for note "SDE = Software Development and Engineering" and the kind of work required to reach the SDE3 levels not only requires just "Software Engineering" skills but requires knowledge of other important skills also in its core mathematical aspect which mostly a Computer Science guy can do conveniently because other branch people have only studied just superficially for placements and internships ,but a CSE guy studies this as full subject and knows the mathematical aspects of these all other subjects which are equally important.

So you see to reach SDE3 you don't only require just SE skills but also other skills in deep.
To do SE ,we must know other things well like discrete mathematics ,data structures , operating systems, Networks , database etc. So it's better to choose wholesome courses like CSE to do and enjoy more and more of the mathematics and computing field.And meanwhile studying even CSE only you will be doing and learning SE practically by yourself.

Hijibiji

Country flag

Best Regards.

I am NOT sure about the syllabus of CS vs SE in NZ or any other place in the world.
In India, it's called CSE (May be "Computer Science Engineering".)

In any case, guessing your son is quite high IQ, "science" sounds better than engineering. There are too many engineers already. BUT then again it depends on what your son wants to do in the long run with the to-be-acquired skills AND his aptitude/ interest etc :)

For example, to create a business, one does NOT need to be a scientist.
OTOH, if the interest is in research and then suddenly from research to "product oriented business" (Google started that way), hard science is the way!

indiatester

Country flag

Best Regards.

In my observation, the basics matter more than deviations and basics would usually remain same across.

He would be better of getting into a course where the previous placements were good and better students join.

The teachers and the circle of friends would shape how he grows. So, chose the course most bright students are gravitating towards.
My best wishes.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag

Best Regards.

I do not know what constitutes Software Engineering in NZ and how different it is from India.

From an Indian BE and partly American MCS(ongoing) perspective, CSE or Computer Science and Engineering generally encompasses Software Engineering. In most institutions of India there is no separate course known as Software Engineering as CSE includes SE. There is an IT course which does have a bit more SE stuff but the basic thing remains the same.

However if we are to differentiate between the two, CSE is a broad field which includes topics ranging from Compilers,DBMS,Algorithms,Operating Systems ,Discrete Maths, Cyber-security /Cryptography to even topics like Machine Learning/AI which can be classified as fields of their own. A CS grad is expected to have a cursory knowledge of all the topics mentioned above.

On the other hand a Software Engineering Course generally focuses more on building efficient software, which includes having a deep insight into project management techniques like Agile/Waterfall method, having a good technical know how and being familiar with the latest software tools,knowing DBMS pretty well, React/Express/a coding language to make apps, know how to make Cloud based scalable apps etc. A SE also has to know things like testing/software support and learning how to build and market competitive apps within a deadline.

On the topic of job roles,a software engineer can be classified as a front end engineer if he is into web designing(HTML/CSS/Javascript skills), a back-end engineer(mainly coding stuff/DBMS/framework etc). There are also data scientists/data analysts and cyber security experts etc

A big part of which course to pick depends on what your son wants to end up becoming. Does he dream to become a FAANG company employee with a six figure salary. Then either course is good enough as he ultimately has to learn algorithms thoroughly and do leetcode grinding to crack the tough as nails interview questions. Keep in mind most CSE grads who want to get a good paying job end up becoming Software Engineers(barring Data Analysts/Cyber security experts and some other specialized CS fields). The thing is at the end of the day both CS and SE/IT grads have to focus only on cracking coding interviews which is not taught at universities(unless you consider Algo class) but has to be done at home. As for the other non FAANG companies like consultancies there too both grads have the same playing field. At the end of the day any Software developer has to have a good grasp of algorthms, their implementation and a good know how of logic and maths.

If one wants to become a researcher(Masters/PhD/Post gad) then CS gives far more leeway for branching out to different avenues. A CS grad has the option to choose from a research topic in ML/Cyber-security/Bioinformatics/other specialized CS topics etc. I do not know if the same holds out for SE.

Whatever option he picks a big factor to consider would be the college rank and the alumni network of the institute. A good combination of the two makes getting internships/jobs or higher study opportunities much easier.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
I missed the part where you talked about job stability,payscale, entrepreneurship chances, vulnerability to employee abuse and workload.

The thing is all of it depends on where your son wants to end up in. If he wants to get a six figure salary or make half a million dollars in a FAANMG company(especially Amazon SDE) he he has suffer from constant stress,a Herculean workload, a 9-9 workhour schedule(often bring back work home) and constant threats and abuses from his superiors. However the work environment and quality of work would be top notch. The mere mention of ever being a FAANMG employee in his CV means he can forever get jobs at any tech company. Job stability in a private company can never be predicted. Every well to do company can end up becoming an Enron or a Satyam. Heck even Amazon was once getting bankrupt. Unless he is in a research position in a well to do university ie a saarkari naukar tech jobs are prone to change. Having said that tech jobs today have a lot of openings so getting a new job is less of a worry even though there is some market saturation.

The payscale also depends on the company but the average in US is roughly 68k pa in small companies to 150k(starting) for SDEs in FAAMNG.

Starting a company depends on the resources available. A good background(past experience/education) helps in getting more sponsors and backers.

A few good videos to understand IT culture,Tech Lead(his past videos were all good. Recently he turned into a crypto coin scammer and charlatan after getting divorced and fired from FB so avoid his recent videos)

hit&run

Mod
University of Auckland First year.
  • Materials ScienceType:Compulsory core course Points:15 pts
  • ELE:Electrical and Digital SystemsType:Compulsory core course Points:15 pts
  • Principles of Engineering DesignType:Compulsory core course Points:15 pts
  • Engineering MechanicsType:Compulsory core course Points:15 pts
  • Introduction to Engineering Computation and Software DevelopmentType:Compulsory core course Points:15 pts
  • Energy and SocietyType:Compulsory core course Points:15 pts
  • Mathematical Modelling 1Type:Compulsory core course Points:15 pts
  • General Education course Points:15 pts
  • English Language CompetencyType:Compulsory degree component Points:0 pts
Score GPA Above 7.6 to get into 2nd-year Specialization (Software Engineering)

GPA.png

Note: Software requires the highest GPA.

Subjects for specialization, i.e Software in our case.

Snap Shots with Link.

SE Subjects.png

hit&run

Mod
I am NOT sure about the syllabus of CS vs SE in NZ or any other place in the world.
In India, it's called CSE (May be "Computer Science Engineering".)

In any case, guessing your son is quite high IQ, "science" sounds better than engineering. There are too many engineers already. BUT then again it depends on what your son wants to do in the long run with the to-be-acquired skills AND his aptitude/ interest etc :)

For example, to create a business, one does NOT need to be a scientist.
OTOH, if the interest is in research and then suddenly from research to "product-oriented business" (Google started that way), hard science is the way!
Thanks for your input.
You know Indian parents never praise their kids. All I can say, he is good in all Subjects.

hit&run

Mod
In my observation, the basics matter more than deviations and basics would usually remain same across.

He would be better of getting into a course where the previous placements were good and better students join.

The teachers and the circle of friends would shape how he grows. So, chose the course most bright students are gravitating towards.
My best wishes.
Thanks for your response.
I am digging out the information on this. CS has become quite popular with a lot of Australian companies hiring during campus placements. Throughout his studies, I have been never dependent on his school.

My motto has been always like this. If the world denies you heaven and it will; you build your own heaven. Probably inspired by Maharishi Vishwamitra.

All I want him to have is a piece of paper stating his qualification. Now the only conundrum is between CS or SE.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles