Developing A Rural Economic Model To Make Villages Rich And Prosperous

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
@HariPrasad-1 Excellent work,bro! I'm glad that someone from the forum is venturing in this field that needs drastic changes for good future.

Since you mentioned Guwar in last post,i would like to mention a product from guwar that is in good demand from various industries such as Food, Chemical and even Hydrocarbon Refineries (i.e. Oil),though you may have already heard about it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guar_gum

Guar gum,a thickening agent made from Guwar

It is estimated that India leads in production of Guwar with 80% global market share,and this product may be a good source of income outta it due to its demand from a lot of different industries.

P.S. - the word Guwar came from Sanskrit "Gau-Aahar" i.e. Gaay ka Ghaas,so i guess in past it was mostly cultivated as cattle fodder but somehow humans started consuming it :-/
My target is to build a system having vertical integration and horizontal integration. I have a stable too. I have 5 buffalo and one cow which produces a very high quality milk. I do not feed them with dan (Cattle feed) available in market but I feed them with coconut cake with some 8 to 10% oil. Milk quality is very superior. It is sweet. I do not feed them with cotton seed as most of the cotton is genetically modified and farmers uses lots of insecticide. This will go in milk. I am in a process of leasing some 2.5 lakh sq Ft of land. Once it is done, I will plant Super Napier grass, alpha alpha grass and some other desi grass which are highly nutrition value. Once that is done , i will start acquiring new cattle. I will put a Gobar gas plant as well. My target is to produce double the grass than I require at any time. All this will give me a quality desi fertilizer which will help me doing organic farming. I started this just 7-8 months back and today I own (On lease or on shared basis) about 20 farms. I grow organic food there except in 3 farms where I used DAP. I am planning to buy couple of land followed by one more.
Because of my fair and generous dealing and good will I have created, whosoever wants to do farming in shared basis come to me only. I have got almost 40 thousand Rs from lease of tractor and rotavators in last one month. This together with my milk income finances lots of my expenses which I would have otherwise spent from my pocket. My new venture has expanded beyond my imagination and exception and has surpassed that of my friend who does same thing but in little different manner. Just give you guys an rough idea, I will spend about Rs 70 k in seeds only.

Once my venture is settled, I will go for special crop such as black rice, Ayurvedic medicines, Stevia, fruit plants, teak wood plants etc. My family members and friend advises me to go slow on this but most of them know that I will do whatever I like and won't follow their advise.

I am convincing my ultra rich friends to invest some amount there. They can get manifold return in long run. If I am bale to convenience them, my plan is to build a farm house society like one in photo bellow. It is in same area and my friend has a farm house there. and one multi purpose resort cum destination wedding cum naturalistic center. Let us see whether I am able to convince them or not.

upload_2019-12-21_15-13-31.jpeg

Last edited:

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Teak has a tendency to not let anything grow in the forest floor, making it go dry... Consider sal (looks like it grows there naturally), or you could experiment with sandalwood.
And are the farm-house and this land separate?
I know that. That is why I will either plant them fully on one piece of land or I will plant them on boundary only. Sandal wood may be stolen. So when I will make my farm house in about 1 lakh Sq ft of land, I will plant sandal wood. Other alternate is to go for Mahogany tree whose wood is more costlier than teak wood without its demerits. I can plant Malabari Neem as well. It is used in card board making. It is not as costly as teak wood but becomes ready in half of the time.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
I know that. That is why I will either plant them fully on one piece of land or I will plant them on boundary only. Sandal wood may be stolen. So when I will make my farm house in about 1 lakh Sq ft of land, I will plant sandal wood. Other alternate is to go for Mahogany tree whose wood is more costlier than teak wood without its demerits. I can plant Malabari Neem as well. It is used in card board making. It is not as costly as teak wood but becomes ready in half of the time.
Gujarat isn't too dry for Mahogany? Other than water table it also needs moist atmosphere... So unless you have confirmed that someone in the region has successfully grown Mahogany, don't risk it.
M.Neem is a good idea, it grows quickly.

And I would also like to suggest you to look beyond wood & cattle. Gujarat supports good fruits like local mangos & payayas. You may try your hands on bees (after you've settled in well ofcourse), silk, poultry etc. The land is large enough for that. Good luck!

You should write a blog, as a guide for novices to become a successful farmer. City people have such incorrect notions about farming.

Last edited:

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Gujarat isn't too dry for Mahogany? Other than water table it also needs moist atmosphere... So unless you have confirmed that someone in the region has successfully grown Mahogany, don't risk it.
M.Neem is a good idea, it grows quickly.

And I would also like to suggest you to look beyond wood & cattle. Gujarat supports good fruits like local mangos & payayas. You may try your hands on bees (after you've settled in well ofcourse), silk, poultry etc. The land is large enough for that. Good luck!

You should write a blog, as a guide for novices to become a successful farmer. City people have such incorrect notions about farming.
Farm what I have chosen, has mahogany in adjustment farm. They are growing successfully for last two years.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag

I have planned a permaculture food forest in my farm house. I am going to plant loads of trees including Mangoes, pears, papaya, Pomegranate, etc with inter-cropping of Shatavari etc. read bellow link for my model of Permaculture food forest in my farm house.

I have planted whet in an unique manner with Bijamrut and Chana (For nitrogen fixing). I have cultivated Bansi Wheat which has 15 to 16% of protein. It is considered to be the best wheat.

https://defenceforumindia.com/forum...ake-villages-rich-and-prosperous.81367/page-2 Read bellow from my post on Page no 2.

My other sustainable model is that I will buy 1 to 1.25 lakh Sq ft of land. I am build a permaculture food forest in it leaving 25000 Sq ft of area for making my house. This should give me atleast Rs 8 to 10 lakh per year out of fruit and other agri products. In additions, I will plant about 200 teak wood trees with black paper vine which will give me additional income of 4 lakh rs per year after 3 yers. After 10 years, my teak wood trees would be ready for cutting which should give me 50 K per tree atleast. Once they are cut, they regrows and get ready for cutting in next 2 years. My land cost shall be Rs 20 Lakh, House making cost Rs 25 lakh, tree planting will cost me Rs 5 lakh. Total expense shall be Rs 50 lakh which will give me a return of Rs 10 to 12 lakh every year after 3 years and additional Rs 1 crore after each 10 years. This means I will have no tension of earning for rest of My life. My model has attracted many guys and they have shown interest to small amount to begin with. My plan of humble beginning has very big shape. I give credit of all to my friend to whose farm house, I used to go every week and made friends there. rest of the things kept happening.

Last edited:

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Hi Guys,

A little bit of update. I have now grown chana (Gram) in 4 farms. I am in process of planting it in one big farm of about 250000 Sq ft. I am likely to Produce over 3 dons of Organic Gram this year.

I have grown wheat in some 2.5 Lakh Sq ft of land out of which 1.5 lakh Sq ft is organic. I have grown organic Bansi wheat in some 60 K Sq ft land. It is a very special variety of wheat which is sold at 2 to 3 time the price of normal good quality of wheat in market. Next time I will grow Bansi wheat in a big farm of some 3.5 lakh Sq ft. I have grown different varieties of Maize as well. Since rain is good this year, I am likely to get a bumper production of these crops.

Now I am planing to grow Super Napier grass for cattle feed. I have planted it in a small piece of land. Once it grows, I will plant in a big farm which will fulfill my need of Grass for my cattle. Not only that, I will be able to sale the grass as well. I am planning to put a hydroponic fodder plant for my cattle. That will ensure availability of highly nutritious grass through out the year in a small piece of a land, say few hundred Sq ft. Once the things are establishes, I will buy more cattle. Now the things are settling down. A very high quality of Milk is being produced with 7+% of fat. I feed only coconut cake + Til cake+Ground Nut Cake People feed Cotton seed as cattle feed but I do not do that because a lots of pesticide is being used in cotton plus most of the cotton is genetically modified. I do not want to spoil the health of the people.
However the problem of people is that they do not want to pay for that high quality milk. They buy 60 Rs milk from Dairy but unwilling to pay even 55 Rs for milk. If you are in such business, you must find the customers who can value the quality.

@Johny_Baba , @Bleh , @indiatester

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Most important of all is that I am using those lands which would otherwise would not have been cultivated. Farmers will get 1/3 rd of Share from the crop.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
What I have understood from my exposure from animal husbandry is that fodder is the main issue. At various times during the year, one faces fodder issues and some time issue is so dire that people have to drop the business of animal husbandry. There are various models of growing fodder. I am sharing most important of all in which you can grow fodder in few square meter rather than in acres. This fodder is too much nutritious and can be grown in a small place. One can grow fodder through out the year at a cost of about two to three rupes per KG. I am planning put one such plant.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Growing Hydroponic Fodder Step by Step Guide (7 days)
October 24, 2018
6 Min Read

This Guide will teach you everything you need to know about Hydroponic Fodder.

Let’s get started…

Green fodder is essential to feed livestock but the reduced availability of land and lack of water. It is become difficult to produce required quantity green fodder throughout the year also, the lack of quality fodder hampers the growth production and Reproduction of livestock.

In this article, you will learn how to Grow Hydroponic Fodder in easy steps it will help you to solve green fodder problem.

Hydroponic fodder is produced by growing seeds without soil, and with very little water, within six-seven days the seeds are sprouted the seedlings will be up to 30-35 cm tall and provide a highly nutritious fodder.

Table of Contents

Advantages of hydroponic fodder

1) Nutrient Value

Hydroponics fodder has more nutrient than traditional fodder dry food or grain. It contains high carbohydrate, minerals, and vitamins.

2) Time to grow

Compared to traditional fodder which often needs up to two months to grow you can grow hydroponic fodder in just one week

3) less water requirement

Compared to conventional fodder production it required less water for hydroponic fodder production. Only 3 to 4 liters of water is necessary to grow one kilogram of hydroponic fodder on other for traditional fodder approximate 70- 100liter water required.

4) Easy daily production

Hydroponic fodder can be produced on a regular basis throughout the year even when low water problem.

5) Chemicals or pesticides

It does not require any Chemicals or pesticides to grow

6) Less workforce and Transport cost

it needed less workforce and transport cost. most of the farmer grow hydroponic green fooder near to the livestock shade

Construction of Hydroponic fodder system
To grow good quality fodder you need to be able to control the temperature and humidity. The fodder easily grows in semi-controlled environmental conditions with the temperature range of 15-32 °C and relative humidity of 80-85%.

Also, control light is needed to grow fodder, so you need to build a small shed net or a low-cost greenhouse.

To make shed net or a low-cost greenhouse you can use bamboo log, iron rod or plastic pipe for structure construction purpose also you required shade netting or gunny bags to cover this structure.

Construction

• According to your fooder quantity demand, you can build a Hydroponic fodder system. to build this system is required a little space, mostly farmer use 10 ft x10 ft shade net to grow Hydroponic fodder, and it is better to choose shed net location near to the livestock shade because it becomes easy to operate.
  • To allow ventilation to leave some open space between the roof and side walls when the shed is well ventilated and airy, you can easily maintain the temperature and humidity.
  • To grow hydroponic fodder, you required a medium size tray of about 1.5 x 3 Ft. They must be made up of good plastic and strong enough to hold the weight of the fodder.
  • The seeds must be kept moist so avoid metal trays because they easily rust so use only plastic trays.
  • Make 15-20 small size holes in trays for draining any excess water.
  • Inside the shed, you can build a bamboo rack, plastic rack or metal rack to hold these trays.
  • Make three to four layers rack but take care rack should not be too high because it becomes difficult to spray water and removes the trays.
  • Keep enough space between two layers so you can easily water the seeds also create slightly slope for each layer to one side of the rack this is helpful for easily and quickly water to drain from the trays.
  • Make a small drainage line under the slope side of a rack to properly drain out water.
Hydroponic fodder production process
use only good qualities seed for hydroponic fodder production, never use broken or unhealthy seeds as these will not germinate and grow properly.

You can use maize, pulses, wheat, and horse gram seeds to make hydroponic fodder but do not use pearl millet and sorghum seeds because these sprouted leaves contain poison that can harm your livestock.

Mostly farmer uses Maize seeds to produce hydroponic fodder. In cold climatic condition wheat and oats seed are good while in hot climatic condition maize seeds are suitable for hydroponic fodder production.

Process

• Add a 5-7 liters warm water in a plastic bucket and seed and remove seeds are float on the water because they will not sprout also remove other impurities.
  • After that add 50 -100 gm salt in water it helps to minimize chance on fungus production on sprouted seed.
  • Allow this seed to soak water for around 12 hours.
  • After 12 hours drain the water and then wash the seeds with clean water.
  • Transfer this washed seed in a gunny bag and allow them to sprout. In a cold climate, they will take more than 24 hours to germinate while in a hot climate the seed will take about 24 hours.
  • Before using tray wash them properly and check all holes if they blocked or not if there is blockage remove the blockage.
  • Transfer sprouted seeds from the gunny bags to trays and evenly spread them and place this trays on the rack.
  • Every day gives light water ( sprinkle) to sprouted seeds. To provide water, you can use watering cans or sprinklers system.
  • In hot weather conditions give water after every two hours, and in cold weather condition after 4 hours it helps to maintain moisture.
Always maintain cleanness in the shed it helps to reduce fungus, molds development chance.

Do not disturb the sprouted seeds from the trays until they are harvest as this influences the growth of the fodder.

Within seven days from one tray containing one kilogram of maize seed, you can produce about eight kilograms of fodder.

When preparing hydroponic fodder to make the rack according to your fooder need, if you required every day five trays of fodder so for seven days prepared shade that accommodates 35 trays.

Feeding of Hydroponic Green Fodder

In six to seven day fooder ready to harvest, take out fodder slabs form the tray and cut into small pieces before feeding it to the livestock, so it is easier for the animals to eat the fodder properly.

Avoid keeping the fodder more than nine days in the trays because after nine days the nutrient value of fodder start to decrease slowly and fiber start to develop.

Give this fooder to livestock along with other food and dry fodder from the total quantity of fodder.

Give this fodder to the livestock with other food and other dry fodder. Farmer gives the combination of half a hydroponic fodder and half fodder or dry fodder.

Hydroponic fodder is very soft and nutritious and tasty, and the resulting animals enjoy it.

Conclusion
For sustainable dairy farming, quality green fodder should be fed regularly to dairy animals. Hydroponic fodder is a good option in front of the farmer because it grows fast, it contains a high nutrient value, and the most important thing is animals like to eat.

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
Growing Hydroponic Fodder Step by Step Guide (7 days)
October 24, 2018
6 Min Read

This Guide will teach you everything you need to know about Hydroponic Fodder.

Let’s get started…

Green fodder is essential to feed livestock but the reduced availability of land and lack of water. It is become difficult to produce required quantity green fodder throughout the year also, the lack of quality fodder hampers the growth production and Reproduction of livestock.

In this article, you will learn how to Grow Hydroponic Fodder in easy steps it will help you to solve green fodder problem.

Hydroponic fodder is produced by growing seeds without soil, and with very little water, within six-seven days the seeds are sprouted the seedlings will be up to 30-35 cm tall and provide a highly nutritious fodder.

Table of Contents

1) Nutrient Value

Hydroponics fodder has more nutrient than traditional fodder dry food or grain. It contains high carbohydrate, minerals, and vitamins.

2) Time to grow

Compared to traditional fodder which often needs up to two months to grow you can grow hydroponic fodder in just one week

3) less water requirement

Compared to conventional fodder production it required less water for hydroponic fodder production. Only 3 to 4 liters of water is necessary to grow one kilogram of hydroponic fodder on other for traditional fodder approximate 70- 100liter water required.

4) Easy daily production

Hydroponic fodder can be produced on a regular basis throughout the year even when low water problem.

5) Chemicals or pesticides

It does not require any Chemicals or pesticides to grow

6) Less workforce and Transport cost

it needed less workforce and transport cost. most of the farmer grow hydroponic green fooder near to the livestock shade

Construction of Hydroponic fodder system
To grow good quality fodder you need to be able to control the temperature and humidity. The fodder easily grows in semi-controlled environmental conditions with the temperature range of 15-32 °C and relative humidity of 80-85%.

Also, control light is needed to grow fodder, so you need to build a small shed net or a low-cost greenhouse.

To make shed net or a low-cost greenhouse you can use bamboo log, iron rod or plastic pipe for structure construction purpose also you required shade netting or gunny bags to cover this structure.

Construction

• According to your fooder quantity demand, you can build a Hydroponic fodder system. to build this system is required a little space, mostly farmer use 10 ft x10 ft shade net to grow Hydroponic fodder, and it is better to choose shed net location near to the livestock shade because it becomes easy to operate.
  • To allow ventilation to leave some open space between the roof and side walls when the shed is well ventilated and airy, you can easily maintain the temperature and humidity.
  • To grow hydroponic fodder, you required a medium size tray of about 1.5 x 3 Ft. They must be made up of good plastic and strong enough to hold the weight of the fodder.
  • The seeds must be kept moist so avoid metal trays because they easily rust so use only plastic trays.
  • Make 15-20 small size holes in trays for draining any excess water.
  • Inside the shed, you can build a bamboo rack, plastic rack or metal rack to hold these trays.
  • Make three to four layers rack but take care rack should not be too high because it becomes difficult to spray water and removes the trays.
  • Keep enough space between two layers so you can easily water the seeds also create slightly slope for each layer to one side of the rack this is helpful for easily and quickly water to drain from the trays.
  • Make a small drainage line under the slope side of a rack to properly drain out water.
Hydroponic fodder production process
use only good qualities seed for hydroponic fodder production, never use broken or unhealthy seeds as these will not germinate and grow properly.

You can use maize, pulses, wheat, and horse gram seeds to make hydroponic fodder but do not use pearl millet and sorghum seeds because these sprouted leaves contain poison that can harm your livestock.

Mostly farmer uses Maize seeds to produce hydroponic fodder. In cold climatic condition wheat and oats seed are good while in hot climatic condition maize seeds are suitable for hydroponic fodder production.

Process

• Add a 5-7 liters warm water in a plastic bucket and seed and remove seeds are float on the water because they will not sprout also remove other impurities.
  • After that add 50 -100 gm salt in water it helps to minimize chance on fungus production on sprouted seed.
  • Allow this seed to soak water for around 12 hours.
  • After 12 hours drain the water and then wash the seeds with clean water.
  • Transfer this washed seed in a gunny bag and allow them to sprout. In a cold climate, they will take more than 24 hours to germinate while in a hot climate the seed will take about 24 hours.
  • Before using tray wash them properly and check all holes if they blocked or not if there is blockage remove the blockage.
  • Transfer sprouted seeds from the gunny bags to trays and evenly spread them and place this trays on the rack.
  • Every day gives light water ( sprinkle) to sprouted seeds. To provide water, you can use watering cans or sprinklers system.
  • In hot weather conditions give water after every two hours, and in cold weather condition after 4 hours it helps to maintain moisture.
Always maintain cleanness in the shed it helps to reduce fungus, molds development chance.

Do not disturb the sprouted seeds from the trays until they are harvest as this influences the growth of the fodder.

Within seven days from one tray containing one kilogram of maize seed, you can produce about eight kilograms of fodder.

When preparing hydroponic fodder to make the rack according to your fooder need, if you required every day five trays of fodder so for seven days prepared shade that accommodates 35 trays.

Feeding of Hydroponic Green Fodder

In six to seven day fooder ready to harvest, take out fodder slabs form the tray and cut into small pieces before feeding it to the livestock, so it is easier for the animals to eat the fodder properly.

Avoid keeping the fodder more than nine days in the trays because after nine days the nutrient value of fodder start to decrease slowly and fiber start to develop.

Give this fooder to livestock along with other food and dry fodder from the total quantity of fodder.

Give this fodder to the livestock with other food and other dry fodder. Farmer gives the combination of half a hydroponic fodder and half fodder or dry fodder.

Hydroponic fodder is very soft and nutritious and tasty, and the resulting animals enjoy it.

Conclusion
For sustainable dairy farming, quality green fodder should be fed regularly to dairy animals. Hydroponic fodder is a good option in front of the farmer because it grows fast, it contains a high nutrient value, and the most important thing is animals like to eat.
That's very informative sir.
Thankyou.

R A Varun

Country flag
Loved your stuff buddy

Highly interesting

Want to learn more once I return to Bangalore I try implementing the same if time permits will try visiting your farm for some knowledge

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
ACTA SCIENTIFIC NUTRITIONAL HEALTH Volume 3 Issue 5 May 2019 Hydroponic Techniques for Fodder Production Ramchandra Ramteke1*, Raina Doneria1 and MK Gendley2 1 Ph.D Scholar, Deaprtment of Animal Nutrition, India 2 Associate Professor, Deaprtment of Animal Nutrition, India *Corresponding Author: Ramchandra Ramteke, Ph.D Scholar, Deaprtment of Animal Nutrition, India. Review Article Received: March 04, 2019; Published: April 17, 2019 Abstract Growing of plants without soil but in water or nutrient solution in a greenhouse (hi-tech or low cost devices) for a short duration (approx. 7-8 days) is hydroponics fodder Production. In India, maize grain is preferred over other cereal grains for hydroponics fodder production. The hydroponics green fodder looks like a mat of 20-25 cm length consisting of roots, seeds and stems. To produce one kg of fresh hydroponics maize fodder (7-d), about 1.50-3.0 litres of water is required. Yields of 5-6 folds on fresh basis and DM content of 11-14% are common for hydroponics maize fodder, however, DM content up to 18% has also been observed. The hydroponics fodder has more health benefits due to its palatability, easily digestibility and and nutritious. Seed for hydroponic cultivation is major input contributes about 90% of the total cost of production of hydroponics. In situations, where conventional green fodder cannot be grown successfully, hydroponics fodder can be produced by the farmers for feeding their dairy animals using low cost devices. Supplementation about 5-10 kg fresh hydroponics fodder per cow per day increases milk production (8-13%) by increases in the digestibility of the nutrients. Keywords: DM: Dry Matter; HGF: Hydroponics Green Fodder; CGF: Conventionlly Grown Fodder Introduction In India, livestock plays an important role for the nutritional security, particularly of the small and marginal farmers. As per the 19th Livestock census 2012, the livestock population of the country is 529.70 million including 199.08 million (37.59%) cattle, 108.7 million (19.89%) buffaloes, 71.56 million (13.51%) sheep, 140.54 million (26.54%) goats and 11.00 million Pigs. The growth rate during last 56 years (1951-2007) shows increasing trend in cattle (28.19%), buffaloes (142.72%), sheep (83.02%) and goat (197.76%) and the overall growth rate in livestock is 80.91% [1]. The increase in the livestock population along with the intensive rearing system has resulted in the increase demands for feeds and fodder in the country. The feed scarcity has been the main limiting factor in improving the livestock productivity [2]. The land allocation for cultivation of green fodder is limited to only 5% of the gross cropped area; but by 2020, India would require a total 526, 855 and 56 million tons of dry matter, green fodder and concentrates [3]. In India Livestock contributes about 25% of the total agricultural GDP and plays a major role in the lives of small and marginal farmers and landless labours agriculture based economy. Green fodder considered as vital inputs in livestock activities as it provides required nutrients for milk and meat production and helps maintain the health of the animals. Feeding cost in dairy and meat animals impacts the profit and results in successful animal husbandry farming, if we will save the concentrates there is more profit. Green fodder constitutes 13 to 35% of the total input cost out of total feed cost is about 70 to 75%, of the total cost. Green fodder supply around the year is required for Good dairy practices. The National Dairy Development Board recommends that a cow yielding 8 to 10 litres of milk per day be fed 25 to 30 kg of green fodder, 4 to 5 kg of dry fodder and 4.0 to 4.5 kg of concentrate per day during lactation [4]. The unavailability of quality green fodder adversely affect the productive and reproductive efficiency of the livestock. Besides the less availability of land, more labour for cultivation (sowing, earthing up, weeding, harvesting etc.), more time for harvesting, nonavailability of same quality around the year, requirement of manure and fertilizer; the uncertainty of rain fall, water scarcity and natural calamities due to climate change are the major constraints for green fodder production encountered by the livestock farmers. Due to the above constraints the hydroponics technology is coming up as an alternative to grow fodder for farm animals [5-7]. Further, hydroponics technology for fodder production will be very effective for rearing small ruminants (sheep and goats) as these animals have lesser DM requirement and are being shifted from extensive to intensive rearing system. Following are the reasons for scarcity of green fodder 1. Rapid urbanization has caused decrease of land available for grazing and fodder cultivation. 2. Fragmentation of land reduces land holdings. 3. The farmer prefers to cultivate commercial and food crops. 4. There is a scarcity of water for irrigation, due to water label depletion. 5. Most farmers are poor and not able to fence their land which leads to free grazing cattle and wild animals enter the fields and causes menaces in the fodder field. 6. Labour shortage is an acute problems in agriculture and animal husbandry allied activities.eg cultivation of green fodder, cutting, chaffing it and feeding the same to the cattle. 7. In forest areas/coastal areas adequate land are not available for forage cultivation. 8. In diversified climate of India, the climate is not suitable for fodder production. Hydroponics technology for fodder production The word hydroponics has been derived from the Greek word, “Hydros” meaning ‘water’ and “Ponic” meaning ‘working’. Hydroponics is a technique in which growing of plants/crops in water without any soil, generally in controlled conditions/environment. Water and plant nutrients are essential for plant growth which is incorporated. However, with the use of only fresh water green fodder can be produced. For cultivation of green fodder through hydroponic seed, water sunlight and added nutrients are the only inputs that are required as the green fodder is fed to the animals after about 6-8 days of plant growth. Maize, Oats, Barley, Wheat, Cowpeas, etc., are the important cultivars using hydroponics to produce high quality nutritious green fodder for dairy animals. Sorghum when fed, less than 45 days of growth causes prussic acid (HCN) toxicity so it is not preferred in hydroponic fodder production. Through Hydroponics techniques Oat, Maize, Wheat, Barley, Cow pea, etc. can be grown. However geographical and agro-climatic conditions and easy availability of seeds are the choice for hydroponics technology. In India, easy availability of seed, lower seed cost, good biomass production and quick growing habit, maize is the choice of grain for hydroponics fodder production. The grain should be clean, sound, undamaged or not insect infested, untreated, viable and good quality. For the production of hydroponics fodder, seeds are soaked in normal water for 4-24 hours, depending upon the type of seeds followed by draining and placing it in the individual greenhouse trays for growing inside the greenhouse. For maize, 4 hours soaking in normal water is sufficient. The seed rate (quantity of seeds loaded per unit surface area) also affects the yield of the hydroponics fodder, which varies with the type of seeds. Hydroponics maize fodder can be well produced with seed rate of 6.4-7.6 kg/m2 [8]. If seed density is high, there is more chance of microbial contamination in the root mat, which affects the growth of the fodder. The starting of germination and visibility of roots varies with the type of seeds. In case of maize and cowpea seeds, germination start on about 2nd and 1st day and the roots were clearly visible from 3rd and 2nd day onwards, respectively. Maintenance of clean and hygiene is very much important in the production of hydroponics fodder as greenhouse is highly susceptible to microbial contamination, particularly of mould growth due to high humidity. Inside the greenhouse, generally the grains are allowed to sprout for seven days and on day eight, these are fed to the dairy animals. Advantage of hydroponic techniques of green fodder production 1. Nutritional Advantages: The green fodder from hydroponics is highly palatable, easily digestive and of better quality as compared to traditional fodder production. In comparison to conventional green fodders, Hydroponics Green Fodder (HGF) contains more crude protein (13.6% v/s 10.7%) and less crude fibre (14.1% v/s 25.9 %) as compared to traditional fodder production. 2. More Palatability: The fodder is more succulent, palatable, nutritious and intake HGF by livestock is more as compared to CGF and this results in more milk and meat production. 3. Water savings: Hydroponic techniques requires 2-3 litres of water to produce one kilogram of green fodder as compared to 55 to 75 litres of water required for the traditional Cultivation practices. No wastage of water as the available water is also recycled and utilized.

4. Wider temperature range: Temperature range of 15-35o C and 70-80% relative humidity (RH) without any fungal growth and technology is economic and environmental friendly. 5. Minimal Land requirement: only 10 m X 5 m is required to grow 600-650 kg of fodder per day whereas to produce the same quantity, one hectare of land would be required under traditional cultivation system. 20-25 adult cattle can be reared by this quantity of fodder for one year. 6. Easily Measurable: The hydroponics production can easily be measured to cater to the needs of farmers owning just two head of cattle. 7. Less labour required: Under the HGF system, just one labourer can complete the entire process in 2-3 hours per day whereas for same fodder production through tradition system requires more labour to undertake land preparation, Comparison table of green fodder cultivation using hydroponics and conventional land based cultivation S. Parameter Conventional Land Based Fodder Cultivation Hydroponics Systems 1 Area required 1 hac. land to produce 600kg/day 50 sq mt to produce 600kg/day 2 Fodder production in days 65-70 days 7 days 3 Water requirement Very high at 30 litres per kg of green fodder Minimal at just 1.5 to 3 litre per kg of green fodder 4 Soil fertility Essential Not required 5 Fertilizer application Required Not required 6 Fodder yield Dependent on environment, cultivation practices, etc Controlled conditions 7 Labour requirement Intensive for sowing, harvesting, chaffing, etc Minimal 8 Fencing and farm protection Essential Not required – can be undertaken in small shed or even under shade net 9 Green fodder utilization Significant Wastage Complete- almost no wastage sowing, irrigation, cutting, transporting fodder from field to cattle shed, cutting the chaff and finally feeding the cattle. 8. More fodder in Less time: Just 7-8 days is required for HGF when they are about 20 to 30 centimetre in height. 9. Biomass conversion is more: The biomass conversion ratio is as high as 6-7 times that of the CGF grown for 65 to 80 days. 10. 365 Day in a year fodder production: 365 days in year we can produce green fodder under semi-protected conditions. 11. Minimal losses: Loss is minimal because the whole portion of plant comprising of roots, leaves, grain and stem is fed to the animals. 12. Organic/natural green fodder: Due to non adding of any nutrient without using soil the green fodder is organically grown. 13. Higher growth and More Production: Green fodder production at a faster rate and result in high yield of fodder. Table a Naik., et al. [9] Techniques for production The HGF cultivation can be hi-tech, fully automatic or can be low cost, effective structure by using principle of the seed germinating and growing for about 7 to 8 days using only water till they are about 20 to 30 cm in height. An automatic system has chambers in which foggers or drip irrigator are installed. The relative humidity between 70 and 80% are maintained and foggers spray a fine mist of water on to the trays to keep the seeds moist. However, for the Indian farmer low cost effective sustainable system are needed as per local need of input. According to availability of raw material in local areas both scientists and ordinary farmers have modified the way hydroponics fodder production. A specially constructed frame made of GI pipes or angle bars is erected to hold plastic trays measuring 18” X 32.5” X 2”, in which 1 to 1.25 kg of seed can be placed to produce about 5.5 to 7.5 kg of green fodder. The dimensions of the trays is determined so that they can be easily managed by anyone and other standard sizes such as 41” x 41” x 7”, 53” x 53” x 7”, 29”x 53” x 7”, etc., that are available in the market can also be used. 1. To reduce the cost the netshed can be erected using bamboo, locally available pipe, wood and instead of trays, bamboo baskets can be used. 2. The shade net cloth is used to cover the entire chamber. 3. An arrangement of frame designed or drip irrigation pipes can be used to pump water from a reservoir at the bottom to pipes in which holes have been punched. The water dribbles drop by drop continuously. 4. 4 hours soaking is required to treated maize seed before cultivation. 5. In each tray about 1 to 1.25 kg of soaked maize seed is spread out. 6. At the end of 7-10 days, plants measuring about 20 to 30 cm in height. 7. About 7.0 kg and 7.5 kg of green fodder is produced in 7 to 8 days and production cost per kg fodder is Rs. 3 to 4 as per availability of seed. 8. The cost of a PVC pipe shade net HGF production unit capable of producing 30 kg fodder/day is about Rs.15,000 while that producing about 350 kg/day is about Rs.80,000 while that of a GI pipe/angle bar/MI steel shade net unit with a daily fodder production potential of 300 kg is about Rs. 60,000 increasing progressively to Rs.3,00,000 for a unit producing 1500 kg. Precautions for hydroponic techniques 1. Seed treated with pesticides and fungicides should not be used for cultivation. 2. The water should be replaced at every 3 days to reduce microbial contamination. 3. In order to avoid fungal growth, cleanliness, washing and cleaning should be needed to reduce contamination and fungal growth. Fungicides treatment is needed while necessary but should best be avoided as any residue may adversely affect health of animals. 4. White maize seed better as compared to yellow maize for hydroponic fodder production. 5. The quality seeds should be used for fodder cultivation. 6. The green shed net is important for proper aeration and lighting to prevent yellowing of the leaves. Yield, Palatability, Nutritive Value and Digestibility of the Hydroponics Fodder There is increase in fresh weight and decrease in the dry matter content during sprouting of seeds. Yields of 5-6 folds on fresh basis (1 kg seed produces 5-6 kg fodder) and dry matter content of 11-14% are common for hydroponics maize fodder; however, sometimes dry matter content up to 18% has also been observed [10]. Famers of the Satara district of Maharashtra revealed fresh yield up to 8-10 folds for hydroponics maize fodder in shade-net greenhouse system. The yield and dry matter content are influenced by many factors, mostly the type and quality of the seed; degree of drainage of free water prior to weighing; and clean and hygienic condition of the greenhouse. The fodder obtained from hydroponics techniques looks like a mat of 20-30cm height consisting of germinated seeds embedded in their white roots and green shoots. In Goa condition with hi-tech greenhouse, the cost of production of fresh hydroponics maize fodder is about Rs. 4.-4.50/kg [11], in which the seed cost is about 90-98%. However, farmers of the Satara district of Maharashtra revealed that in low cost shade net system with home-grown or locally purchased seeds, the cost of production of the hydroponics fodder is very minimal and reasonable (about Rs.2-3.50/). The hydroponics fodder is more nutritious and palatable than the conventional fodder (Table 1 and 2). The nutrient changes during the growth (sprouting) of hydroponics fodder are increase in the crude protein (CP), ether extract (EE), nitrogen free extract (NFE) and decrease in crude fibre (CF), Neutal detergent fibre (NDF), total ash (TA) and insoluble ash (AIA). Fodder is a high quality supplement for livestock diet. Besides, hydroponics fodder has more potential health benefits. Sprouts are the most enzyme rich food on the planet and the period of greatest enzyme activity is generally between germination and 7-8 days of age. They are rich source of anti-oxidants in the form of β-carotene, vitamin-C, E and related trace minerals such as selenium and Zn (Table 2). Feeding of the sprouted grains improve the animals’ productivity by developing a stronger immune system due to neutralization of the acidic condition due to sprouted grains are rich in digestive enzymes and enzyme-rich feeds are generally alkaline in nature. Sprouted grains are good sources of pigments containing chlorophyll, xanthophil and contain a grass juice factor and protein spairying factors which improves the production and reproductive performance of the livestock. Besides this, helping in the elimination of the anti-nutritional factors such as phytic acid, oxalic acid and other toxicants of the fodder. However, the energy content is decreased during sprouting as the stored energy inside the grain is used and dissipated during the process [12-16]. The hydroponics fodders have relished by cattle, horses young growing calve due to softness and palatability. The germinated

seeds embedded in the root system are also consumed along with the shoots of the plants, so there is no nutrient wasting. The intake of fresh hydroponics maize fodder by dairy cows may be up to 25 kg/animal/day along with limited concentrate mixture and jowar straw. Supplementation of the hydroponics fodder in the ration of the dairy cows improves digestibility of nutrients in dairy cows (Table 1). S.N. Parameters Hydroponics Fodder Digestibility (%) 1 Dry matter 61.15 2 Organic matter 64.20 3 Crude protein 68.86 4 Ether extract 82.05 5 Crude fiber 53.25 6 Nitrogen free extract 67.37 Nutritive value (%) 1 CP 12.48 2 DCP 8.61 3 TDN 64.00 4 Milk yield (kg/ day) 4.084 Table 1: Effect of supplementation of hydroponics maize fodder on digestibility of nutrients and milk yield of dairy cows. Naik., et al. [17]. Nutrients % Composition Nutrients % Composition Moisture 89% Nitrogen 4.6% Calcium 0.167% Protein 29.87% Magnesium 0.246% Sodium 0.117% Potassium 2.22% Phosphorus 0.91% Manganese 53 mg/kg Copper 28 mg/kg Zinc 56 mg/kg Iron 235 mg/kg Table 2: Plant Analysis report of Hydroponic fodder carried out by the Environment Analysis Laboratory at the University of Lismore, NSW. (All analysis on Dry weight/Matter Basis). Figure

Conclusion Hydroponics fodder is nutritious, palatable and digestible and can be grown in low cost techniques with locally home grown grains. Against impeding climate change and less availability land hydroponics fodder production is an effective alternative technology for sustainable livestock production in different agroclimatic regions of India.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Hi Guys,

A little bit of update. I have now grown chana (Gram) in 4 farms. I am in process of planting it in one big farm of about 250000 Sq ft. I am likely to Produce over 3 dons of Organic Gram this year.

I have grown wheat in some 2.5 Lakh Sq ft of land out of which 1.5 lakh Sq ft is organic. I have grown organic Bansi wheat in some 60 K Sq ft land. It is a very special variety of wheat which is sold at 2 to 3 time the price of normal good quality of wheat in market. Next time I will grow Bansi wheat in a big farm of some 3.5 lakh Sq ft. I have grown different varieties of Maize as well. Since rain is good this year, I am likely to get a bumper production of these crops.

Now I am planing to grow Super Napier grass for cattle feed. I have planted it in a small piece of land. Once it grows, I will plant in a big farm which will fulfill my need of Grass for my cattle. Not only that, I will be able to sale the grass as well. I am planning to put a hydroponic fodder plant for my cattle. That will ensure availability of highly nutritious grass through out the year in a small piece of a land, say few hundred Sq ft. Once the things are establishes, I will buy more cattle. Now the things are settling down. A very high quality of Milk is being produced with 7+% of fat. I feed only coconut cake + Til cake+Ground Nut Cake People feed Cotton seed as cattle feed but I do not do that because a lots of pesticide is being used in cotton plus most of the cotton is genetically modified. I do not want to spoil the health of the people.
However the problem of people is that they do not want to pay for that high quality milk. They buy 60 Rs milk from Dairy but unwilling to pay even 55 Rs for milk. If you are in such business, you must find the customers who can value the quality.

@Johny_Baba , @Bleh , @indiatester
Chana cultivation has now grown to 11 farms. Wheat in 5 farms. Maze in 4 farms, Castor seed in one big farm of 3.75 lakh Sq ft. , Gawari (Gavar for Industrial use) in same farm along with other vegetables. Gavar in one farm.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Loved your stuff buddy

Highly interesting

Want to learn more once I return to Bangalore I try implementing the same if time permits will try visiting your farm for some knowledge
Sure . You are well come. I am in the process of buying one land of about 2.25 to 2.5 lakh Sq. ft. I want to make a resort there. It is a beautiful land right on the bank of a river having dam at some distance. Have a look at the picture of the same.

20191110_111225 (1).jpg
20191110_111222 (2).jpg

Last edited:

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
I want to make a resort with tent house, Bamboo houses on trees, and mud house there. I will plant only fruits trees and grow various flowers their. It will have lots of flowers which shall give me income as well as it will beautify ml land like bellow one.
I am planning a small water park of sort of thing with a beautiful swimming pool having small trees around. Only organic food will be served here. My plan is to begin with with five six houses and extend it further. I may take near by lands of lease to make a game zone on racing track. Lets us see how it goes on. If I get a good income from my farming activities, it will be a big appreciation for me to extent it further. I am planning to take some 7 lakh sq ft of land on lease withing 4-5 month so that I may match my salary income with my agriculture activities and I may not have to continue with my job unwillingly.

Last edited:

indiatester

Country flag
Chana cultivation has now grown to 11 farms. Wheat in 5 farms. Maze in 4 farms, Castor seed in one big farm of 3.75 lakh Sq ft. , Gawari (Gavar for Industrial use) in same farm along with other vegetables. Gavar in one farm.
How many people are you employing? Whats the expense coming to(material and men)?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles