Devanagari - Script or Language?

bhramos

Country flag
At this rate we will run out of all the "T"s in Sanskrit.
boss these may not be Sanskrit, but which language could they be?
I don't know and forgot which language they use for these names.
even for LCA, they [DRDO] gave or suggested more then 300 names and then PM MR Vajpaiyee liked Tejas, so they kept it.

qsaark

brother the names in Indian Armed Forces are given in Devangari Language not Sanskrit.
Bhramos,

Please correct me if I am wrong. I understand that Devanagari is a script whereas Sanskrit is a language. Therefore Sanskrit is written in Devanagari.

bhramos

Country flag
You are almost correct qsaark,
but sorry, I just do not differentiate, between both of this.

ppgj

u r almost correct qsaark.
but sorry, i just does not difference, between both of this.
qsaark is right. devanagari is the script. it is not a language. sanskrit uses that script.

bhramos

Country flag
The Indian Navy (Devanāgarī: भारतीय नौ सेना, Bhartiya Nāu Senā) is the naval branch of the armed forces of India. It currently has approximately 55,000 personnel on active duty, including 5,000 members of the naval aviation branch and 2,000 marine commandos, making it the world's fifth largest navy.[2] The Indian Navy currently operates more than 155 vessels, including the aircraft carrier INS Viraat, along with operational jet fighters.[3]

Indian Navy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

fateh71

Bhramos,

Please correct me if I am wrong. I understand that Devanagari is a script whereas Sanskrit is a language. Therefore Sanskrit is written in Devanagari.
Yes you are right, Sanskrit is primariy written in Devanagari and most names of Indian defence equipment are Sanskrit.

Some exceptions - Akbar (Mi35), Rustom (UAV)

ppgj

Yes, written in Devenagiri script. People who understand Devenagiri script, understand what that means. They couldn't call it Hindi, since it's also Sanskrit, and Marathi (?).
in india pretty much all languages except the dravidian have devanagari script. even thai script is devanagari.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
in india pretty much all languages except the dravidian have devanagari script. even thai script is devanagari.
There are Assamese, Bengali, Devanagari, Gujarati, Gurmukhi, Kannada, Malayalam, Oriya, Tamil, and Telugu scripts under the ISCII. The point is Bharatiya Nau Sena means Indian Navy at least in Sanskrit, Hindi, and Marathi (?).

qsaark

It appears that Sanskrit as a language has been written in several local Indian scripts. The oldest surviving manuscripts of Rigveda were written around 1464 on bark, and paper. These text are found to be written in Devanagari and Sharada (which is now restricted among few Kashmiri Pandit families). I have visited Taxila (Takṣaśilā) and seen the excavated copper plates with texts written in Kharoṣṭhī script. The Kharoṣṭhī script has also been used to write both the Gāndhārī and Sanskrit languages.

bhramos

Country flag
you are right qsaark ,
all the languages and even some European too.
but i've no such in this type of things too.

Flint

That's wrong. Devanagari script is used only for Hindi, and for the official version of Sanskrit. Perhaps a few other languages like Marathi use a modified Devanagari.

In reality, Sanskrit can be written in any script, and was usually written in the local script before the colonial period.

ppgj

That's wrong. Devanagari script is used only for Hindi, and for the official version of Sanskrit. Perhaps a few other languages like Marathi use a modified Devanagari.
as for as i can understand they are all derivatives of devanagari script. dravidian languages use different script.

In reality, Sanskrit can be written in any script, and was usually written in the local script before the colonial period.
ofcourse. language has nothing to do with script. for ex. konkani in karnataka uses kannada as the script.

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
dravidian languages use different script.
the Dravidian script is exclusively derived from Tamil for an example i have taken Malayalam

Malayalam is derived from Middle Tamil in the 6th century, of which Modern Tamil was also derived. An alternative theory proposes a split in more ancient times. Before Malayalam came into being, Old Tamil was used in literature and courts of a region called Tamilakam, a famous example being Silappadikaram. The oldest literature works in Malayalam, distinct from the Tamil tradition, is dated certainly to the 11th century, perhaps to the 9th century.For cultural purposes Malayalam and Sanskrit formed a language known as Manipravalam, where both languages were used in an alternating style. Malayalam is the only among the major Dravidian languages without diglossia. This means, that the Malayalam which is spoken doesn't differ from the written variant, while the Kannada and Tamil languages use a classical type for the latter.

Grantha script - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Flint

as for as i can understand they are all derivatives of devanagari script. dravidian languages use different script.
No, Devanagari and other Northern scripts are derivatives of a common older script.

Also, all Indian scripts are derived from the ancient Brahmi script.

ShyAngel

Founding Member

Thai script looks more like teligu forgot about the language itself.

Well as far as my knowledge Devanagari is the language and Sanskrit is the scripture. Why I said is because in ancient Tibet; before the Tibetan prehistory, an era before(600 ) BCE Tibetan only had their native tribal language but they do not have the scripture nor the mainstream religion. And the tribal language is more then one language. But as the empire Songtsen Gampo started to expend his military from northern Afghanistan to southern Bay of Bengal and some parts of northern Burma. He had send 100 bon buddhist students to study sanskrit from Kashmir, India. At that time both Tibet and India share the open boarder in Kashmir. Therefor, people who lived btw India and Tibet belongs to specific tribal who's mother tongue is Devanagari. Out of those 100 students only couple survived and came back to Tibet. Later one student who's name is Thu-mi-samboda went back to Kashmir again and with the help of Kashmir Brahmin he invent Tibetan script out of sanskrit script and invent 1st mainstream Tibetan alphabet from sanskrit and from then all the religious text of Lord Buddha and all the mythology of tibetan history and literature were all documented in Tibetan script which originated from sanskrit.

About Devanagari suppose to be language of GOD. It is spoken only by people who's mother tongue is Devanagari (more like people who belongs to indus valley) modern day boarder btw southern Tibet and Northern Ancient India. And when they speak they only use the words out of sanskrit scriptures which is different from our mainstream language, be it Tibetan, Punjabi, Urdu, or Teligu and etc... It's like for us we understand devanagari only after studying it but for those people they can be able to speak it before they even have to study their language. Kyirong is the Tibetan region where those Tibetan tribal speaks devanagari, and its the limelight of Silk Route and their roots were known Newari clan from Nepal mixed with Tibetan clan from Tibet. Most of the finest goldsmiths and artist from Tibet were known to be from that region and no offense their caste were consider lower caste in Tibet even though they are one of the most advance, well skilled and talented people from ancient Tibet.

Now in nutshell that's my difference btw scripture and language!

:viannen_10:

Flint

^You seem confused. "Devanagari" is not a language - its just the script - the letters - the alphabets.

Also we are talking about "script", not "scripture". Two completely different things.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles