Design project for the army

Do you think India requires a better designed fast attack vehicle than the M&M AXE?

• Yes

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vaaraga

Hello all,

I am an automotive design student in the Uni of Bradford, UK. I am involved in a design project for a new fast attack vehicle or high mobility vehicle for the Indian defence forces. I would b very grateful if the rest of the members help me out by answering questions or polls I shall be posting. Since its a major design project kindly make sure that you are providing me with hard facts. Thank you for your time.
:help:

We are considering improving on the following -
Adding Features and Functions the current design does not offer.
Adaptable body shell for different purposes (for ex., foldaway seats for cargo transport if required etc.).
Design layouts (the way soldiers sit inside)
Looks

Please note : this is student project for the final year of a design degree course and not some sort of competition against M&M. Please do not hesitate to include any suggestion for me.

A.V.

i would like to ask you what do you exactly mean by better design ? whether its linked to capabilities or just a better looking design because it would be nice to explain what parameters you are willing to improve on ?

AkhandBharat

Why is Uni of Bradford, UK designing a project for a new fast attack vehicle or high mobility vehicle for the Indian defence forces?

StealthSniper

I don't get this poll. The M&M Axe is a good first effort by Mahindra for their military vehicle and I'm sure any fast attack vehicle can be a better design if more R&D and money goes into it. And no offence but I think the engineers at Mahindra are more in tune at what design works or doesn't work for their vehicles then a student from a university in a different country.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Still evaluating? What about the JLTV agreement?
I think the JLTV agreement is mainly to acquire Technology and knowhow in order to build future armored mine & IED resistant support vehicles for the IA, the vehicles in the LSV program are not mine & IED resistant.

LSV lineup

The JLTV is an Army-led multi-service initiative to develop a family of future light tactical
vehicles to replace many of the 160,000 HMMWVs used by the armed services today.
HMMWVs, which first entered service in 1985, were developed during the Cold War when
improvised explosive devices (IEDs) and other anti-vehicle explosive devices were not a major
factor in military planning. The HMMWV’s demonstrated vulnerability to IEDs and the
difficulties and costs experienced in “up-armoring” HMMWVs already in the inventory have led
to renewed emphasis on vehicle survivability. With more than 50% of the Army’s total tactical
wheeled vehicle fleet nearing the end of its useful life, and with the needs of the services to repair
equipment and grow their forces, the JLTV, with its scalable armor protection, is intended to
replace a large portion of the HMMWV fleet. DOD officials have emphasized that JLTVs are not
intended to replace HMMWVs “one for one.”2 The Pentagon envisions HMMWVs remaining in
service for many years to come, and about 3,000 to 5,000 HMMWVs continue to be produced on an annual basis.
For more about the JLTV read the attached pdf

vaaraga

i would like to ask you what do you exactly mean by better design ? whether its linked to capabilities or just a better looking design because it would be nice to explain what parameters you are willing to improve on ?
well, For starters the looks. Then the functionality. I am sure the Axe performs very well. I have tried to search for a tender issued for a fast attack vehicle but I am guessing it must be confidential. I need some kind of information on what kind of requirements the army has.

vaaraga

Why is Uni of Bradford, UK designing a project for a new fast attack vehicle or high mobility vehicle for the Indian defence forces?
Dear friend,

Uni. of Bradford is not undertaking the project. We are a group of students working on this.

vaaraga

I don't get this poll. The M&M Axe is a good first effort by Mahindra for their military vehicle and I'm sure any fast attack vehicle can be a better design if more R&D and money goes into it. And no offence but I think the engineers at Mahindra are more in tune at what design works or doesn't work for their vehicles then a student from a university in a different country.
I think you have misunderstood this. Let me be clear, we are a group of students working on a design project of our choice. We chose to work on military fast attack vehicles. To reduce complexities in our research, we narrowed down to one particular market - India. All we are trying to do is come up with a design for the future. I am not criticizing M&M here. Kindly refrain from thinking so. This project will go into students portfolios and nothing much. Therefore, all I need to know is if there is anything that any of you here feel that needs improving or anything the Axe fails to address.

vaaraga

I apologise if the poll seems insensitive. I am doing this for the first time so I did appreciate if anybody could guide me. Thank you.

StealthSniper

I think you have misunderstood this. Let me be clear, we are a group of students working on a design project of our choice. We chose to work on military fast attack vehicles. To reduce complexities in our research, we narrowed down to one particular market - India. All we are trying to do is come up with a design for the future. I am not criticizing M&M here. Kindly refrain from thinking so. This project will go into students portfolios and nothing much. Therefore, all I need to know is if there is anything that any of you here feel that needs improving or anything the Axe fails to address.
Well the Indian Army is evaluating the AXE currently and if it doesn't pass or they don't think it fits their parameters then you will get the answers you need for your project. In my view I think it's a good first effort and it's no Hummer H1 but I think it's built strong enough for the Indian market. Besides Mahindras are known to be about trucks and they are durable.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles