Delhi best city to live in

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Delhi best city to live in

NEW DELHI: Despite all its problems, Delhi offers the best quality of life to its residents among all cities in the country, according to a 'Liveability Index' released by CII. In the index, based on surveys, Delhi outscores metros like Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore and Kolkata; NCR towns Gurgaon, Noida and Faridabad; and even planned cities like Chandigarh.

Delhi ranks first on parameters like population density, safety, transport, education, job opportunities and accidents. The only redline in the capital's card is healthcare, where the city is ranked 17th. Kozhikode, Thiruvananthapuram, Kochi and Kolkata score high on this front.

Among NCR cities, Gurgaon ranks ninth in the list — it tops the chart on housing and educational facilities but lags behind due to lack of job opportunities, high crime, and unsafe roads and public transport. Noida ranks 27th due to poor healthcare, crime rate, no public transport and high rate of accidents.

'Liveability Index' released by the Confederation of Indian Industry, while terming Delhi as the best city to live in, stated that the worst city in NCR is Faridabad with a rank of 32. The city needs upgradation of employment opportunities, public transport, roads, migration and healthcare.

Delhi also scores relatively low (12th) on migration. But cities like Indore, Pune, Chandigarh, Goa, Bangalore, Jaipur and Faridabad are far worse at ranks 37, 35, 34, 33, 32, 29 and 28, respectively.

After Delhi, the next best cities to live in, according to the survey, are Mumbai, Chennai and Bangalore, in that order. The bottom rankers in the index are Jamshedpur (ranked 37th), Visakhapatnam (36th), Patna (35th), Lucknow (34th) and Ludhiana (33rd).

The survey studied 37 Indian cities over a decade to deduce a Quality of Life index. "The study uses hard data collected from reliable sources to eliminate the possibility of personal bias or a sampling error obscuring the reality," said an official.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-in-outscores-Mumbai-/articleshow/5660776.cms

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Delhi is the most liveable city in India

New Delhi: Delhi has emerged as the most liveable city in the country followed by Mumbai, Chennai, Bengaluru and Kolkata, according to a survey by the Institute for Competitiveness and industry chamber CII.

The survey, which was released on Monday, is based on a number of factors ranging from econo-mic environment and standard of living, socio-cultural environment, education, health and medical standards, natural environment, public service and recreational possibilities among others.

Among the cities that were seen to be lagging behind were Faridabad, Ludhiana, Lucknow, Patna, Vishakapatnam and Jamshedpur.

In terms of health and medical standards, Kozhikode, Trivandrum and Kochi in Kerala are the most notable ones. Surprisingly Mumbai comes only at number 12, while Delhi and Bengaluru are placed at 17 and 18 positions, respectively. Ahmedabad and Bengaluru are among the worst in this category.

About 11 cities have been identified where health and medical standards are of great concern. These are Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Bhopal, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Mumnai, Noida, Patna and Pune.

Despite leading industries pulling out of West Bengal in the last few years, the city of joy— Kolkata—has done reasonably well in segment cities with a good economic environment at number 5. Delhi has fared the best in this segment.

The list of cities with the most-planned environment also saw Delhi emerge at the top. As far as housing issues are concerned Coimbatore, Jaipur and Kochi have fared the worst, closely followed by Kolkata.

Interestingly, Delhi, with all its crime-related stories being aired daily on TV sets, has turned out to be the safest city in the country. However, the survey adds that one reason why Delhi could be unsafe is its proximity to crime-infested areas like Noida and Gurgaon. The list includes Bhopal, Bengaluru, Mumbai, Chennai, Hyderabad and Pune in a sequence.

Mumbai, the financial hub of the country and a home to a large section of India Inc, has emerged as the city with the best socio-political environment, followed by Delhi, Kolkata, Goa, Chennai, Bengaluru, Pune and Hyde-rabad. Significantly, regular state-called lockouts and bandhs in West Bengal have not affected Kolkata’s ranking.

In the field of education, the leaders are Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru, Chennai, Pune, Gurgaon and Kolkata. Vishakapatnam, Nagpur and Coimbatore are among the worst. What has worked for the Capital is the fact that a child has access to various educational boards at an early age.

http://www.financialexpress.com/news/Delhi-is-the-most-liveable-city-in-India/588321/

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
This is bull.
Gurgaon's much better. :D

amoy

As far as housing issues are concerned Coimbatore, Jaipur and Kochi have fared the worst, closely followed by Kolkata.
Out of curiosity - how much does a flat cost per sqm? Here probably 10k yuan/sqm avgly, while Shanghai 20k (6.82/$).

I'd love to have a tour in Delhi someday, it seems there're 2 Old Delhi and New ...

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Hah, it could be the best city among metros, but certainly not the best one of the best cities in India to live in. Chandigarh is a planned city, isn't exactly swelling with population, and people there don't exactly need extensive public transport for getting around. Chandigarh has a decent share of globalised businesses, educational institutes, and the affluent class there made sure the city doesn't lack malls, uptown eateries, 16 Mbps broadband internet, etc. The weather is lovely most of the year. So for me it would be Chandigarh. A distant second would be Vizag for the sea. It's what Bombay was in the late 70s, not that crowded (which makes many people nostalgic), and plus it has all the facilities of a city.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Hah, it could be the best city among metros, but certainly not the best one of the best cities in India to live in. Chandigarh is a planned city, isn't exactly swelling with population, and people there don't exactly need extensive public transport for getting around. Chandigarh has a decent share of globalised businesses, educational institutes, and the affluent class there made sure the city doesn't lack malls, uptown eateries, 16 Mbps broadband internet, etc. The weather is lovely most of the year. So for me it would be Chandigarh. A distant second would be Vizag for the sea. It's what Bombay was in the late 70s, not that crowded (which makes many people nostalgic), and plus it has all the facilities of a city.
agree but then the weather is not as good, much like what one finds in delhi, other than on the weather front nothing beats chandigarh in india.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
agree but then the weather is not as good, much like what one finds in delhi, other than on the weather front nothing beats chandigarh in india.
Maybe there's the same temperatures (recoded at airports), but Delhi's pollution makes it worse there than Chandigarh? I always thought Chandigarh was greener.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Maybe there's the same temperatures (recoded at airports), but Delhi's pollution makes it worse there than Chandigarh? I always thought Chandigarh was greener.
kasauli and shimla in vicinity helps chandigarh slightly but not by much, i tend to believe delhi is much greener, there are these huge lush green spaces right in the middle of delhi and all across the city which happen to be quite big as well and once in, one doubts you are still in delhi and they are found in quite a few numbers.

Last edited:

pankaj nema

Country flag
Delhi has so much land . Infrastructure projects need like wider roads , metro rail need land
mumbai has no land , no open spaces left, even metro rail is struggling but it will come up

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
I have personally lived in Delhi and Chandigarh for long periods. I would say Chandigarh beats Delhi hands down.

I personally like the winters and miss them in the South. Chandigarh weather is pretty OK, except for the hottest summer months. The winters are a pleasure.

NSG_Blackcats

Member of The Month OCTOBER 2009
I am living in Delhi for last 10 years. If someone asked me , which is the best city to live in India?, 5/6 years ago, my answer would have been Bangalore. Delhi's public transport system has improved in recent years with Delhi Metro. Otherwise Delhi's transport system is as bad as any metro city of India.

But Delhi has the widest roads among all metros. I feel this may be due to the fact that it is the capital of India.

On weather front there is no comparison between Bangalore and Delhi. Among the big metros Bangalore is best weather wise.

Delhi is the greenest city among all big metros of India.

I like Delhi, but certainly not the best place to live in India. My vote will go to Vizag. Lovely city and more importantly takes 8 hours from train from my home.

gogbot

After Delhi, the next best cities to live in, according to the survey, are Mumbai, Chennai and Bangalore, in that order. The bottom rankers in the index are Jamshedpur (ranked 37th), Visakhapatnam (36th), Patna (35th), Lucknow (34th) and Ludhiana (33rd).

The survey studied 37 Indian cities over a decade to deduce a Quality of Life index. "The study uses hard data collected from reliable sources to eliminate the possibility of personal bias or a sampling error obscuring the reality," said an official.
Who came up with this study ?

How can anyone think of even comparing Delhi and Bombay to Visakhapatnam (AKA vizag).

Vizag is not even 1/3 rd the size of those cites.

By all accounts Vizag is a small coastal city with scenic views and 15 min drive to get to any point in the city.
excluding the airport at the outskirts of the city.

Honestly you dont need a metro in Vizag. to city is to small.

And how anybody thought waking up at five for a 3 hour ride to work in Delhi is a better living standard than a maximum 1 hour journey in Vizag.

Honestly what is the standard of living they want. Nice big roads and flashy metro's.

It is a rule that Big gigantic cites never offer the best living standard. This is true almost every where but a few places, And India has not made a city to defy that rule yet.

Pollution. crowd , massive traffic.

Dont get me wrong big cites are not a bad place to live, with enough infrastructure they can be very wonderful places.

But to put Delhi, Mumbai at the top and put Vizag at the bottom, is just rubbish.

Living standard my ass, none of of those gigantic hospitals is going to prevent the shortening of your life from the city smog alone.

You know forget the cites and all that. They are all have their faults.

But there surely has to be better places to live in India other than our cites.

GIFT excluded obviously

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
My idea of a "good city to live in" is where I don't have spend more than 40 minutes per day on transit, which has wide open spaces, adequate recreational facilities, and the basics of a "city". So it's always going to be a "Tier-2" for me. Dehi has "wide open roads", and the Metro because the city is literally vomiting people. Tens of thousands of vehicles are added to its streets every day, and it's highly populated. So the civic infrastructure is merely keeping up with the population growth in a losing race.

Vizag has:
  • Less than 20 minutes of transit time to reach from one end to another (passing through the city, not around it)
  • Scenic beach and green hills
  • Airport with daily flights to all important domestic destinations
  • Railway station along the Chennai-Kolkata trunk line
  • Natural Harbour, Indian Navy base
  • Large shopping malls
  • Multiplex theaters with IMAX screens
  • Multi-cultural society with North Indians (particularly from Bengal and Orissa.)
  • Dedicated power-station (NTPC Simhadiri)
  • Several hospitals, and medical colleges
  • CBSE and CISCE-affiliated schools
  • Vast industrial belt
  • A major university (Andhra University), large number of professional and technical institutes
  • Nearly same latitude as Mumbai, similar weather. Much lower pollution, so slightly cooler
  • A scenic hill station merely 100 km away (Araku), just like Mumbai has Mahabaleshwar.

So if you miss the Bombay of the late 70's (in essence the quieter city with lesser pollution), move to Vizag.

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
This is bull.
Gurgaon's much better. :D
You wish. :p

Out of curiosity - how much does a flat cost per sqm? Here probably 10k yuan/sqm avgly, while Shanghai 20k (6.82/$).

I'd love to have a tour in Delhi someday, it seems there're 2 Old Delhi and New ...
An average flat in Delhi would easily cost over 2,000$ per sq m.

Delhi is a kaleidoscope undoubtedly. Delhi also has many villages, farming communities, industries, heritage buildings, glitzy high rises in its midst.

I have personally lived in Delhi and Chandigarh for long periods. I would say Chandigarh beats Delhi hands down.

I personally like the winters and miss them in the South. Chandigarh weather is pretty OK, except for the hottest summer months. The winters are a pleasure.
I would have to say Chandigarh is great if you are a retiree. Its a small city, where everyone is affluent, and everyone knows everyone. Its a very homogenized, and gentrified society.

---

amoy

the best city among metros,
I'd like to hear your definition of 'Metro' as well, supposedly ** tiers above that of 'City'.

Tarunraju offers his idea of a "good city to live in" - quite high-standarded in my opinion ( when trying to match up with a Chinese version)

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Those bullet points aren't part of "my idea", they already exist in Vizag.

My idea is:

I don't have spend more than 40 minutes per day on transit, which has wide open spaces, adequate recreational facilities, and the basics of a "city".
Which isn't too much to ask for.

Metro stands for "Metropolis". It's the topmost tier of urban settlement in India.

Last edited:

NSG_Blackcats

Member of The Month OCTOBER 2009
If this thread is all about Jokes than Please move it to the Jokes section.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles