Dear Indian patriots, my criticism of Pakistan isn't for your benefit!

Neo

Dear Indian patriots, my criticism of Pakistan isn't for your benefit!

By Faraz Talat

A Pakistani liberal and an Indian patriot can become good friends. After all, they both bash Pakistan.
A signature-feature of a liberal-is his scathing, almost treacherous, criticism of his own country's culture and political policies.- On the other hand, the mark of a nationalist is indiscriminately defending all that occurs on his side of the border, while flinging mud on those beyond. Hence, it-isn't-difficult to understand why a Pakistani liberal and an Indian nationalist would naturally bond over a cup of coffee.

Ever since I decided to 'betray' my homeland by consorting with the liberal folk, as some conservatives would put it, my list of Indian friends has been snowballing. I am not in any way insinuating that they like me simply because I denounce the traditional maltreatment of women and minorities in my country, as well as the rising extremism in Pakistan. After all, they are all exceptionally rational people.

I have, however, been ignoring an increasing number of friend requests on Facebook from Indian nationalists. They seem to have misconstrued my-constructive criticism-of Pakistani affairs, as a deliberate service to the anti-Pakistan, 'hand-of-ISI-in-everything' ideological machinery.

Although I stand committed to what I write, it is distressing to know that someone has been digging into-my blogs-to gather informational ammo against my country, and use it in ways that I have never intended for it to be used. On the contrary, my objective as a Pakistan-bashing Pakistani, is to shed light on socio-political problems so that they can be rectified, and progress can be made. The way I see it, staying mum would mean guaranteeing their continuity, and the unchecked devastation that they would bring.

Therefore, my objective is not to deliver smug satisfaction to malicious elements, and help reinforce their biases.

These biases and consequent bashing, run both ways. Just recently, while Indian liberals were loudly and rightly, condemning the rape culture in their home country, some Pakistani flag-wavers were feeding off those diatribes and regurgitating them at Pakistani liberals known to admire India.

Moreover, the problem becomes especially apparent when certain Indians advocating secularism for Pakistan, become unflinchingly defensive about discriminatory-laws in some Indian states, or objectionable moves by their own right-wing groups.

So, if you keep liking, upping, and recommending liberals' on-line comments decrying restrictions on selling chardonnay in Pakistan, I shall assume you are also against religion-inspired laws restricting beef production and trade in India. Likewise, if you applaud our support for our local liberal heroes and nemeses of the status quo, like Asma Jahangir, then you shouldn't be caught off guard when we extend the same respect to-Arundhati Roy.

As if the ordeal of trying to push liberal ideas through the right-wing cacophony was not enough, liberals often find themselves being re-tweeted by outspoken Pakistan-haters, and then have to explain their controversial fan-following to angry countrymen. I imagine that Indian liberals would feel uneasy as well, if an acerbic Pakistani jingoist unilaterally allies himself with them.

So this is what I have to say:

"Dear Indian friends, it's one thing when we condemn something of our own; it's quite another when you pile on to that condemnation."

Just like when my kid sister calls me chubby, it is endearing; but when a stranger points and laughs, it becomes awkward. Simply put, it is not that this person cannot safely voice his negative opinions, but common propriety demands just a wee bit more diplomacy than what is expected from one's own sibling.

Clearly, this goes both ways.

Moreover, it is usually not enough to just learn about the-crises next door. One must keep an eye on the situation at home where lessons learnt from across the border may be applied. After all, the odds are that the problems on one side are, in some form or the other, being mirrored across the picket-fence.

Neo

Re: Dear Indian patriots, my criticism of Pakistan isn't for your bene

Nice blog, worth reading.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Yes, it is music to the Pakistan ear.

As usual duplicitous and deviously acting clever.

Another form of Taqiyyah! ;)

thethinker

Country flag

Good article to be forwarded to all the Indians Wagha candle worshippers and the Indo-Pak friendship brigade!

Pakistanis showing true colours isn't surprising but the frankness this writer shows regarding that is.

Going through some of his tweets, here is what is clear :

Strong support for Gaza
Strong support for having veil/burkhas in France
Some random incoherent Bollywood opinion

List goes on but hardly surprising. A Paki once a Paki is always a Paki. Thanks @Neo for the confirmation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag

Whenever I see this phenomenon where hypernationalists from one side of the border become "fans" of introspective criticizers on the other side of said border, it only signifies one thing... hypernationalists have poor reading and reasoning skills, and they seem to be unaware of a fundamental thing called context.

Reactions: Neo

Neo

Whenever I see this phenomenon where hypernationalists from one side of the border become "fans" of introspective criticizers on the other side of said border, it only signifies one thing... hypernationalists have poor reading and reasoning skills, and they seem to be unaware of a fundamental thing called context.
Well said mate!

Neo

Good article to be forwarded to all the Indians Wagha candle worshippers and the Indo-Pak friendship brigade!

Pakistanis showing true colours isn't surprising but the frankness this writer shows regarding that is.

Going through some of his tweets, here is what is clear :

Strong support for Gaza
Strong support for having veil/burkhas in France
Some random incoherent Bollywood opinion

List goes on but hardly surprising. A Paki once a Paki is always a Paki. Thanks @Neo for the confirmation.
And what signifies you as Indians? hate, hate and more hate and superiority complex?

Delusional Indian.

Last edited by a moderator:

thethinker

Country flag

And what signifies you as Indians? hate, hate and more hate and superiority complex?

Delusional Indian.
Definitely not being an Islamic thekedar for start!

Silly Paki.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

A Daniel come to Judgement, what ho?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Delusional Indian.
What signifies us?

Peace, but not peace at all costs.

Neo

Definitely not being an Islamic thekedar for start!

Silly Paki.
But a supporter of muslim genocide right?

Neo

What signifies us?

Peace, but not peace at all costs.
Peace? :rofl:
Joke of the century!

thethinker

Country flag

But a supporter of muslim genocide right?
What's the going rate for suicide vests in Quetta? Evergreen industry right?

"Somewhere in or near Quetta a group of men chanted with pride, Allah-u-Akbar (God is great), eulogising the female suicide bomber for killing the very women who held the most promise for Pakistan. Their spokesperson called the news outlets to claim responsibility for the attack on unarmed women. Later, at the Bolan Medical Complex in Quetta, another group of men, armed with AK-47 and wearing suicide vests, engaged the security personnel in a standoff that left several more dead, including four nurses who were attending to the wounded from the earlier blast."

Islam at war – with itself - Blogs - DAWN.COM

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Peace? :rofl:
Joke of the century!
Everything is a joke for the Pakistanis.

Their nation is one big one. It is thus their existentialism that speaks.

And such peace in Pakistan that none else in the world experiences.

Peace with brothers killing brothers and then there will be none............. and real Peace will prevail!

thethinker

Country flag

"Liberal Pakis" may stay in foreign lands, appear sophisticated, educated and even seem kind. But one can never be sure if they have been radicalized or not.

Case in point : The NY Times square bomber.

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag

A Daniel come to Judgement, what ho?
1. I'm not sure it's very respectful to refer to a Biblical figure like Daniel as a ho.
2. I think this has more to do with an observational fact than a subjective "judgment"

Reactions: Neo

Neo

Everything is a joke for the Pakistanis.

Their nation is one big one. It is thus their existentialism that speaks.

And such peace in Pakistan that none else in the world experiences.

Peace with brothers killing brothers and then there will be none............. and real Peace will prevail!
None of the above is related to the topic.
Congratulations, another thread goes down the drain.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

1. I'm not sure it's very respectful to refer to a Biblical figure like Daniel as a ho.
I am afraid, the English Language and you are not near bred as I see.

Odd that you have no idea as to 'what, ho' means.

Ho means

ho1 [hoh] Show IPA
interjection
(used as a call to attract attention, sometimes specially used after a word denoting a destination): Westward ho! Land ho!
(used as an exclamation of surprise or delight.)
Ho | Define Ho at Dictionary.com
You speak of other superficial observation while you are yourself superficial to the extreme. What ho, in my sentence was to draw your attention.

Check PG Wodehouse that is if you have ever read his books. It is Bertie Wooster's favourite exclamation!

I think this has more to do with an observational fact than a subjective "judgment"[
And when the so called 'observation' is given with the psuedo gravitas like a 'judgement', what else can one surmise but as a missive from the Pulpit or the Bench, notwithstanding that is spurious and pretentious?

Read Merchant of Venice?.

Check Act 4, Scene 1

SHYLOCK
A Daniel come to judgement! yea, a Daniel!
O wise young judge, how I do honour thee!
A biblical character?

Oh sure.

But it is also an English phrase that a juvenile knows.

A Daniel come to judgement means 'someone who makes a wise judgement about something that has previously proven difficult to resolve'.

I hope it was useful to update your knowledge of the English language.

Last edited: