Crisis in Tibet - Opression and Human rights violations by China

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Re: What should China do to Tibet?

tibet independence is a lost cause, its been 60yrs since china control tibet, there are more han chinese live in tibet than tibetan themself. i think would be a good idea to work with dala lama, put him as the spiritual leader in tibet. this way china can keep taps on him, and tibetan will worship him instead burning themself. as long as he doesn't ask requests that china won't do, such as indepedence etc etc. its win win for both, and china will look good on international stage.
The idea of installing the Dalai Lama as the spiritual head is an interesting idea.

however, China possibly would not be able to do so because it would lose 'face', having declared him as a 'splittist', 'wolf in sheep's clothing' and so on.

Dalai Lama within Tibet would be more of a danger to China than his being outside Tibet because if within Tibet, his aura will envelop even those who are half way home and prefer the Chinese improvement of the infrastructure and individual lifestyle.

Further, China will not give the Dalai Lama the autonomy he desires to have!

s002wjh

Country flag

yeah china already outlaw him now. and swallow back its own words its gonna be tough to chew. i think the situation is already set for tibet, its already part of china, nothing gonna change now. and if both china/dalai can step a back on their demand, it could work. i'm sure dalai want to go back to the place he was born, where his people are and become the spiritual leader before he die . i mean his what 70's 80s, just few more year he will hit the bucket. if both can work together, china certainlly has chance to influence him.

SADAKHUSH

Country flag

yeah china already outlaw him now. and swallow back its own words its gonna be tough to chew. i think the situation is already set for tibet, its already part of china, nothing gonna change now. and if both china/dalai can step a back on their demand, it could work. i'm sure dalai want to go back to the place he was born, where his people are and become the spiritual leader before he die . i mean his what 70's 80s, just few more year he will hit the bucket. if both can work together, china certainlly has chance to influence him.
When China has not been able to influence him for the last sixty years, What gives you the confidence that oppressing barbarians can do some kind of magic to change his opinion? Just the way occupation of China by Japanese was not acceptable in 1930's it is unacceptable for the world community in large the illegal occupation of "Free Tibet". The only option for the occupying force is to move back to within your own geographical boundaries. For us who believe in free Tibet nothing less than complete free nation of Tibet is acceptable regardless how many countries of the world have accepted your position for the time being.

no smoking

Country flag

The idea of installing the Dalai Lama as the spiritual head is an interesting idea.

however, China possibly would not be able to do so because it would lose 'face', having declared him as a 'splittist', 'wolf in sheep's clothing' and so on.
That would be a biggiest propoganda victory for China. There is nothing more bright than showing the world and chinese public that you can convince or force your previous enemy to work for you.

Dalai Lama within Tibet would be more of a danger to China than his being outside Tibet because if within Tibet, his aura will envelop even those who are half way home and prefer the Chinese improvement of the infrastructure and individual lifestyle.

Further, China will not give the Dalai Lama the autonomy he desires to have!
Yes, without the autonomy he required, he would be like a doll whereever within China.

Tianshan

What gives you the confidence that oppressing barbarians can do some kind of magic to change his opinion?
why should we change his opinion?

dalai lama already said tibet is a part of china, he just wants more autonomy.

satish007

Although I saw Dalai many times in TV that his English is pretty good (no weird accent like Indian, that also prove South Tibet belongs to China) and many people like taking with him
but I got knowledge not only from CCP but aslo Qing danasty and West that Dalai is pretty evil , he slaved his people, killed them and made light using their brain bone, chopped arms,exoculation,cut nose....
British guys in east india company can not stand to save Tibetan. <THE UNVEILING OF LHASA> by EDWUND CANDLER
He killed a lot of evil Tibetan soldiers.
Dalai looks pretty healthy ,Chinese have to waiting pretty long time and hopefully he will not choose his born place South Tibet to be his next world. it will be funny if there are two Dalai in the future

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

If there are two Dalai Lamas, the Chinese one will not be recognised by the Tibetans! :rofl:

satish007

If there are two Dalai Lamas, the Chinese one will not be recognised by the Tibetans! :rofl:
sorry in advance if any offence, no idea about these things.
but my opinon it will be not different, both will do good jobs , both able to love Tibetans, anyway, you should trust China, they copy quality is ok,not too bad, and will save money by 50%, Tibetan don't need go to India to see Dalai.
is this possible?
Dalai, guys , I often feel tired recently, remember, I will reborn in south Tibet.
------:<
Panchen(Top level living Buddha,it is tradition that Panchen and Dalai take turn to recognize new version)
yesterday, Dalai sent me dream message , he has changed his mind and borned in China, he miss it too much.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

but my opinon it will be not different, both will do good jobs , both able to love Tibetans, anyway, you should trust China, they copy quality is ok,not too bad, and will save money by 50%, Tibetan don't need go to India to see Dalai.
is this possible?
:rofl:

That was real funny!

You made my day.

Thanks.

SADAKHUSH

Country flag

why should we change his opinion?

dalai lama already said tibet is a part of china, he just wants more autonomy.
As per s002wjh he is dreaming of a day when China and Dalai Lama will together and than China will be able to change his mind where as I countered with my opinion stating that it is impossible now since CCP and PLA has not succeeded in the last sixty years.

It does not matter to me even after the fact that he has accepted Tibet to be part of China what matters is the opinion of masses in this world and Tibetans in large.

huaxia rox

in a nutshall 2 things:

1 we need to continutely keep developing the economy of tibet. we should encouge more people to go to and settle down in the area and contribute to its developments and get the profits along with the economy buildips......we still lack proper infra strture there so projects like new roads or new water power stations have to be approved asap....its paramount to not to just think that tibet is just somewhere u can go travalling but a place under develpoed compared to the eastern part of prc....

2 military buildups r also needed....i m sure the current ccp power has too many gutless cowards and i m not expecting them to take any real steps to take zangnan back within 20 years but at least they should try to avoid another 1962 war and make sure any new forward policy made by indian invaders is subject to all out war and the zangnan issue can be accordingly solved once and for all....

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Yes, changing the demography and having Han majority will do the trick!

China is doing that.

s002wjh

Country flag

When China has not been able to influence him for the last sixty years, What gives you the confidence that oppressing barbarians can do some kind of magic to change his opinion? Just the way occupation of China by Japanese was not acceptable in 1930's it is unacceptable for the world community in large the illegal occupation of "Free Tibet". The only option for the occupying force is to move back to within your own geographical boundaries. For us who believe in free Tibet nothing less than complete free nation of Tibet is acceptable regardless how many countries of the world have accepted your position for the time being.
you know when you stop your hate/bias BS, i will answer your question

singa

Re: Why is Tibet Important to China?

I think if Dalai Lama come back, the most worrying men is not chinese but tibet officers living in the tibet. Dalai and his group will take all the new government positions and leave nothing to the old tiber officers.

just one question - one country two systems formula - that applies to Hong Kong , what harm does China sees in extending it to Tibet?
I mean this is what Dalai Lama asks for, and this would satisfy the world community.

satish007

Gurkha are mostly from India from beginning till now, And if you don't have much knowledge abt Gurkhas i suggest stop talking..
sad actually I know just want to know which version better

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

sad actually I know just want to know which version better
Gurkha in British Army / Indian Army / Singaporean Army / Nepalese Army share same blood and same ferocity there is no difference they are very disciplined and very Simple & God fearing men, They are quite and lethal at the same time..

desicanuk

just one question - one country two systems formula - that applies to Hong Kong , what harm does China sees in extending it to Tibet?
I mean this is what Dalai Lama asks for, and this would satisfy the world community.
Oh come on!!Every schoolboy in India knows the answer!!Hong-Kong is populated by Chinese,Tibet by Tibetans who are not Chinese by any stretch of the imagination.Of course the fascist thugs in Beijing busy exporting the Han Chinese to Tibet will tell you otherwise.One way or other PRC will succeed in destroying Tibet as we have known it - thanks to Nehru , Krishna Menon and our cowardice.

ice berg

And what is exactly the Tibet as you have known? A democratic society with equality and happy serfs? A heaven on earth before CCP showed up? It is easy to talk when you are not there to fight their battles.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Tibet's burning protest

Al Jazeera has the story link as a banner next to its site name on the home page. Interesting

The mood at the football stadium in Dharamsala, northern India, was sombre early this week. Sport wasn't on the agenda that evening. Hundreds of exiled Tibetans gathered to mourn. As the sun went down on the hill town, they held a candlelight vigil and offered prayers to commemorate two young men who had set themselves on fire in Lhasa, the capital of Tibet, a day earlier.

The two were only among the latest in a continuing wave of self-immolations, a desperate form of protest against the Chinese occupation of Tibet. Three days later, 33-year-old Rikyo, a mother of three, set herself alight.

Tibetan PM speaks out after self-immolations
According to the International Campaign for Tibet (ICT), 38 people have immolated themselves in Tibet since 2009. In 2012 alone, Tibet has seen 25 self-immolations, 20 of which have resulted in death. This week's immolations in Lhasa could indicate that the movement is now spreading beyond Sichuan province in southwest China, a region fighting to be part of the Tibet Autonomous Region.

"If there is anyone who can change the situation, it is the Chinese government. I'm afraid the self-immolations will continue until there is change in the ground situation," said Tashi, spokesperson of the Central Tibetan Administration (CTA) in Dharamsala, who goes by one name. The town houses the largest exile Tibetan community as well as the offices of the exiled government.

Tashi adds that the plight of Tibetans is deplorable. "Tibetans inside Tibet have no basic human rights. Particularly, nuns and monks are being denied the right to practice their religion freely. People are forced to denounce their spiritual leader, His Holiness the Dalai Lama. Even carrying a photo of the Dalai Lama is prohibited," he says.

In the wake of the protests across Tibet, the Chinese government has accused the spiritual leader Dalai Lama of inciting and encouraging self-immolations. The latest immolations have also triggered a spate of detentions.

Spiritual angle

A majority of self-immolators held monastic positions or were formerly enrolled at monasteries. The first recorded incident took place in February 2009 when Tapey, a monk in Kirti monastery in Ngaba County, burned himself. Since then, Kirti, the biggest monastery in Ngaba, part of Sichuan province, has been at the centre of these protests.

Historically, Tibetan monasteries have offered spiritual and political leadership to its people. Kanyag Tsering, spokesperson of the Kirti monastery's exiled branch in Dharamsala, says his colleagues back home are continuing to play their traditional role. "Tibetans have no trust in the Chinese administration. They rely on monasteries for political and spiritual guidance. And the monasteries have been challenging the [Chinese] government on behalf of the lay people," he said.

The 31-year-old monk says the Chinese government cracks down on religious institutions because of the support they offer to people. Tsering has been collecting information about the increased surveillance in Ngaba. "For several months in 2009, monks were not allowed to leave the monastery and civilians were not allowed to enter. Today, there are about 15 surveillance cameras within a stretch of one kilometre from the gate of the monastery to the main door," he said.

Violent or non-violent?

Questions have been raised on the very form of these protests. Isn't setting oneself on fire a violent action - something unacceptable in Tibetan Buddhism, which strictly advocates non-violence?

Self-immolations in Tibet: candlelight vigil in Dharamsala
Tsering stresses that "self-immolations cannot be clubbed together with other forms of violence, because the motives of someone who sacrifices himself for a greater good are different from someone who is intending to cause hurt. Burning oneself for the freedom of six million Tibetans cannot bring negative karma. They do it for a selfless cause. So this is not against Buddhist beliefs."

Tsering, who has lived in India since 1990, refers to Mahatma Gandhi, who led the Indian independence movement against British colonialism through non-violence. "Gandhi also declared hunger strike unto death on many occasions. Does that make him violent? In every freedom struggle, violent or non-violent, people lose a part of themselves to attain a larger goal," he explains.

Gene Sharp, a Boston-based scholar on non-violent action who is credited with promoting non-violent struggles around the world, doesn't agree with classifying self-immolations as violent or otherwise.

"The situation in Tibet is very sad. People are desperate and this can be seen in the self-immolations. But I strongly discourage the form of protests. By shortening of lives, there can be no positive contribution for the future." he says.

Sharp also criticises self-immolations for being an easy outlet for unstable members of society. "It is a trap for those who are not stable. Suicide becomes an easy way out for them," he adds.

Every street in Dharamsala is adorned by posters of the "burning martyrs". They show blown-up, graphic images of the self-immolations. A message on one of them reads, "Sacrifice of life for Tibet". These posters have been designed and printed by the Tibetan Youth Congress (TYC), but the organisation maintains that it doesn't encourage self-immolation.

"Being a non-violent struggle, we the Tibetan people don't have many options left. Self-immolations and hunger strike are the two last resorts we have. And we don't have anything else. So this calls for the international community to truly support the just cause of the Tibetan people," saidTsewang Rigzin, president of the TYC.

The international community has remained tight-lipped over the issue of Tibet. In March this year, three Tibetans went on hunger strike in front of the United Nations headquarters in New York for over a month to demand action. "The UN human rights chief Navi Pillay responded by promising to assign special rapporteurs to look into the situation inside Tibet," Rigzin said. He's quick to add that progress on this issue is still awaited.

Protests spreading

The protests have spread to neighbouring countries as well. In November 2011, Bhutuk, a monk in Nepal, survived after self-immolation. Four months later 27-year-old Jamphel Yeshi, a Tibetan student in New Delhi, died a couple of days after setting himself on fire in the Indian capital.

Jamphel Yeshi, above, immolated himself in New Delhi in March [Felix Gaedtke/Al Jazeera]
Yeshi's friend Lobsang Jinpa, a former Tibetan political prisoner currently residing in Dharamsala, recollects the time they spent together. "He was always interested in politics. He would ask me what was the most difficult part of being in a Chinese prison and I would tell him about my experiences there. We would talk about the situation in Tibet for hours. He was very political," Jinpa said.

Jinpa, who was forced into exile, had never imagined that his friend would resort to such an extreme measure. "I wasn't expecting it. On the day of the protest, he didn't go along with me. He came alone, by himself. And I just remember seeing someone on fire at the protest site. I recognised soon that it was Yeshi. There was chaos. Some people tried dousing the fire. But I couldn't move..." Jinpa recounted.

Yeshi left behind a letter in which he expressed his wish for the complete freedom of Tibet, the return of the Dalai Lama to Free Tibet, and increased patriotism among Tibetan exiles.

Jinpa fled to India a year ago after being released from prison. He hasn't spoken to his friends since, but he claims to know what's on their minds. "People in Tibet are growing more and more desperate as Chinese repression increases. If nothing happens now, more and more people will burn themselves to death," he says.

Tibet's burning protest - Features - Al Jazeera English

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles