Computer Console Gaming thread

SpeltAsStrength

Country flag
So how many of you all are stuck in the world of Elden Ring? I just can't get out of it. It's like the child of Dark Souls and Zelda Breath of the Wild. Such an amazing game and highly recommended to all players.

prasadr14

PrasadReddy
Playing it on PC, it is a bit hard to grasp as the controls seem to be made for consols.

Still in initial stages, loving the game though

SpeltAsStrength

Country flag
Playing it on PC, it is a bit hard to grasp as the controls seem to be made for consols.

Still in initial stages, loving the game though
Buy a controller. I'd recommend an xbox controller, but if you have a lower budget you can get those logitech or redgear ones.

These games aren't supposed to be played on keyboard and mouse.

saneel2014

Country flag
So how many of you all are stuck in the world of Elden Ring? I just can't get out of it. It's like the child of Dark Souls and Zelda Breath of the Wild. Such an amazing game and highly recommended to all players.
Can i run it with gtx 960?

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Any fellow retro gamer here raised hand pls 🙋‍
Thinking about starting a series of some of the retro games from my-our past (*insert soviet_anthem.mp3 ⚒*) as a basic intro-esque thing for generally unaware gaming prajaa of modern era

will start with a general post covering all mario-contra like known titles and go ahead towards unknowns etc

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Thinking about starting a series of some of the retro games from my-our past (*insert soviet_anthem.mp3 ⚒*) as a basic intro-esque thing for generally unaware gaming prajaa of modern era

will start with a general post covering all mario-contra like known titles and go ahead towards unknowns etc
Medal or Honour Chad rise up

Butter Chicken

Country flag

I used to play Wii games on my android phone using Dolphin emulator and a controller that can attach a phone.

Actually completed a few NIntendo classics and one of the Resident Evil games on my phone! it was pretty fun

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag

so before going ahead i'd like to write something more,

>How i did gaming as a kid and later did retro gaming...
So, in my childhood there was a neighbourhood friend of mine, let's name him Vijay for now,
he belonged to a rich family (at least as per my standards back then) and had some of the most awesome things i've seen in life,
for e.g. first time in my life i saw those visual encyclopedias of dinosaurs-birds-human skeleton and body parts and such things at his home and i was so so awestruck back then...i used to stare at those pics for hours whenever i got chance to read those stuff...
he also was the guy that introduced me to video games...i mean...he (his father) had a Pentium 2 computer with colour monitor and naturally had games on it, albeit most of the gaming we have had was being done on his video game console, or just "video game" as we used to call it...oh and he had many consoles of different kinds, i could remember at least 3 but..yeah he was rich and resourced...
i am forever thankful-indebted to him that he gladly shared every plaything he had to a relatively poorer person like me, these things happened back then actually shaped me and made what i am now, 😪 sadly i have no idea about his whereabouts now, i tried to find him-contact him but nobody knows where they are now...probably he just moved out to some phoren land i guess

coming back to gaming
so what exactly was we playing on ?
short answer,
choyneez kopies of video game consoles, like majority of gamers back then...
brief intro,won't go much into history of gaming but what we got in name of ;gaming consoles; back then was pure choyneseum stuff, and was kopied-derived from Nintendo's japanese version of their renowned NES (Nintendo Entertainment System) named Famicom (short for Family Computer ...Computer? sounds strange but will explain later in the series), these kopies are jokingly called "Famiclones" in modern gaming lingo,

i couldn't exactly remember what kind of Famiclone Vijay had, it was in grey and black and had rectangular controllers = "remotes" as we called it with very bland looking layout, but original NES/Famicom had similar layout so at least in that term it was near legit thing, the one i got first looked something like this,
1651398052731.png

player 1 and player 2 'remotes' would go in those narrower '9 pin ports' (later came to know they're called ;Atari Joystick Ports and Connectors; while 'gun' would go in that wider '15 pin port' (later came to know it's called DB 15 Port-Connector set hhmm),
although many ;current; versions of these Famiclones don't have 15 pin port at all, they simply use Player 2 port for 'gun' that is honestly how original NES did for 'gun' thing, this 15 pin port thing for 'gun' only happened on original Japanese Famicom due to 'reasons'
anyway and 'remotes' and 'gun' looked like this, albeit the 'gun' i got was bigger and looked like a laser gun, unlike this walther P38 wannabe thing
1651398179552.png

notice how everything just looks so...weird, i mean as a kid it was figgin raaaaaad as fvck thing for me, remember this was pre-internet...heck end of 20th century era for me and others,
this game and 'remotes' etc all is clearly ;inspired; from very first Playstaion console that had hit the market back then in ;phoren world; - and frankly i am not complaining about the looks at least, in fact i am also indebted to those japanese-taiwanese-mainlander chinese guys who did make these cheaper knockoff things so poor kids like me could have a taste of some video gaming...however it's not entirely without complaints...will cover those things later...
you'll find some of the most amusing to most obscure looking versions of this in market still to this day, being sold for 500 rupees max i guess,

oh and what about 'game cassettes' ?
well just for record most of the 'cassettes' we got here were based on european // japanese PAL variant of Famicom of course since that was what these japanese-taiwanese-mainlander chinese guys decide to kopy-derive from, including basic form factor of these 'cassettes',
just like other choyneseum things this also wasn't without complaints...will cover those parts later...but overall what we got was so so much it's a net positive for us yes...
most of them looked like this when we get it from shops, and end up like second pic after some time,
1651399822015.png

and of course each of these 'video game' came with a standard barrel connector DC 'charger'...i don't exactly remember ratings but i think it could be between 9 to 12 Volts and maybe 1 ampere or less...again these things were huge chineseum and not without complaints...if it works it'll keep on working for ever and if not it'll break down within just an hour (has happened with me 😒)

oh btw, these "famiclones" weren't the single type of gaming consoles available back then, i vaguely remember we also had clones of those 16-bit "Sega" ones (Sega Genesis//Mega Drive clones), but they must've been expensive than famiclones because i've never had any in my life, perhaps Vijay had one, and i don't remember seeing it with any other friend of mine back in those times,
albeit as times passed and these things became redundant due to PC gaming-Playstation 2 etc coming here even "Sega" ones became available for cheaper but i had already moved on to PC gaming and emulating = running these retro games on PC, and frankly i was already pissed at these things breaking apart thanks to choyneseum quality-control things...and then came internet etc that completely broaden my purview of these things, even educated me a lot about the "void" we had had back then when it comes to retro gaming...more on those things later...

Last edited:

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
so before going ahead i'd like to write something more,

>How i did gaming as a kid and later did retro gaming...
So, in my childhood there was a neighbourhood friend of mine, let's name him Vijay for now,
he belonged to a rich family (at least as per my standards back then) and had some of the most awesome things i've seen in life,
for e.g. first time in my life i saw those visual encyclopedias of dinosaurs-birds-human skeleton and body parts and such things at his home and i was so so awestruck back then...i used to stare at those pics for hours whenever i got chance to read those stuff...
he also was the guy that introduced me to video games...i mean...he (his father) had a Pentium 2 computer with colour monitor and naturally had games on it, albeit most of the gaming we have had was being done on his video game console, or just "video game" as we used to call it...oh and he had many consoles of different kinds, i could remember at least 3 but..yeah he was rich and resourced...
i am forever thankful-indebted to him that he gladly shared every plaything he had to a relatively poorer person like me, these things happened back then actually shaped me and made what i am now, 😪 sadly i have no idea about his whereabouts now, i tried to find him-contact him but nobody knows where they are now...probably he just moved out to some phoren land i guess

coming back to gaming
so what exactly was we playing on ?
short answer,
choyneez kopies of video game consoles, like majority of gamers back then...
brief intro,won't go much into history of gaming but what we got in name of ;gaming consoles; back then was pure choyneseum stuff, and was kopied-derived from Nintendo's japanese version of their renowned NES (Nintendo Entertainment System) named Famicom (short for Family Computer ...Computer? sounds strange but will explain later in the series), these kopies are jokingly called "Famiclones" in modern gaming lingo,

i couldn't exactly remember what kind of Famiclone Vijay had, it was in grey and black and had rectangular controllers = "remotes" as we called it with very bland looking layout, but original NES/Famicom had similar layout so at least in that term it was near legit thing, the one i got first looked something like this,
View attachment 153751
player 1 and player 2 'remotes' would go in those narrower '9 pin ports' (later came to know they're called ;Atari Joystick Ports and Connectors; while 'gun' would go in that wider '15 pin port' (later came to know it's called DB 15 Port-Connector set hhmm),
although many ;current; versions of these Famiclones don't have 15 pin port at all, they simply use Player 2 port for 'gun' that is honestly how original NES did for 'gun' thing, this 15 pin port thing for 'gun' only happened on original Japanese Famicom due to 'reasons'
anyway and 'remotes' and 'gun' looked like this, albeit the 'gun' i got was bigger and looked like a laser gun, unlike this walther P38 wannabe thing
View attachment 153752
notice how everything just looks so...weird, i mean as a kid it was figgin raaaaaad as fvck thing for me, remember this was pre-internet...heck end of 20th century era for me and others,
this game and 'remotes' etc all is clearly ;inspired; from very first Playstaion console that had hit the market back then in ;phoren world; - and frankly i am not complaining about the looks at least, in fact i am also indebted to those japanese-taiwanese-mainlander chinese guys who did make these cheaper knockoff things so poor kids like me could have a taste of some video gaming...however it's not entirely without complaints...will cover those things later...
you'll find some of the most amusing to most obscure looking versions of this in market still to this day, being sold for 500 rupees max i guess,

oh and what about 'game cassettes' ?
well just for record most of the 'cassettes' we got here were based on european // japanese PAL variant of Famicom of course since that was what these japanese-taiwanese-mainlander chinese guys decide to kopy-derive from, including basic form factor of these 'cassettes',
just like other choyneseum things this also wasn't without complaints...will cover those parts later...but overall what we got was so so much it's a net positive for us yes...
most of them looked like this when we get it from shops, and end up like second pic after some time,
View attachment 153760
and of course each of these 'video game' came with a standard barrel connector DC 'charger'...i don't exactly remember ratings but i think it could be between 9 to 12 Volts and maybe 1 ampere or less...again these things were huge chineseum and not without complaints...if it works it'll keep on working for ever and if not it'll break down within just an hour (has happened with me 😒)

oh btw, these "famiclones" weren't the single type of gaming consoles available back then, i vaguely remember we also had clones of those 16-bit "Sega" ones (Sega Genesis//Mega Drive clones), but they must've been expensive than famiclones because i've never had any in my life, perhaps Vijay had one, and i don't remember seeing it with any other friend of mine back in those times,
albeit as times passed and these things became redundant due to PC gaming-Playstation 2 etc coming here even "Sega" ones became available for cheaper but i had already moved on to PC gaming and emulating = running these retro games on PC, and frankly i was already pissed at these things breaking apart thanks to choyneseum quality-control things...and then came internet etc that completely broaden my purview of these things, even educated me a lot about the "void" we had had back then when it comes to retro gaming...more on those things later...
There was this long time in my-our lives where we had PC but no Internet, so naturally gaming back then relied a lot on ;sharing-barter; etc things - i mean buying off games on CDs from those shops or buying blank CDs and getting it burned from friends and if you're really resourced then using USB pendrives to do this ;barter; , it was also era when most of the PC we had were just plain bullshit ones, underpowered and had lots of issues in general - but i noticed post maybe 2008 era PC scenario here started improving in general with advent of newer 'Pentium' (post Pentium 4 era ones i mean) and 'Celeron' and 'Atom' and later 'Core 2 Duo' etc processors becoming available, as well as RAM capacity in general going above 512 MBs etc,
This also resulted in rise of PC gaming here and inversly fall of playing these ;video games on TV; thing, and rightly so,
personally i never really moved away from playing these 'video games' (i still do sometimes, but now on my PC) but there is no shame in saying that PC gaming in general is wayyyyyy more superior than playing on consoles (this even stands today) except perhaps controllers part as some games just work better with hand held controller than playing with keyboards, notably racing games etc, then it also boils down to your personal preference-purview etc

coming back, after playing these games on 'video game on TV' thing, i got this PC in my life and the guy that set everything up in it was fortunately also a retro gamer, i mean he knew something that i was completely unaware of and knowing me enough he did this courtesy of setting up my PC right so i could keep on continuing with 'video games' from TV era...what he did was...
...setting up "Emulators" on it...
'Emulation' in simpler teams is just using a software to run these older games from different systems on your PC, you might require actual games files first called 'ROMs' in gaming lingo (these kinda goes in muh piracy reeeeee things but meh fvck it all)
Emulation enabled it for us to play those games on pc and even play those ones that we didn't-couldn't in past because they were simply unavailable to us,
it's no surprise that owner of the retrogaming website Emuparadise.me is also an indian origin guy who put these message there, go to the link here - https://www.emuparadise.me/staffinfo/MasJ.php

Anyway, Emulation was turning point for me as it opened my eyes to ;video games; as well as 'systems' that was unknown to me - i got some noteworthy games of these systems thanks to the guy who set up my first PC
- NES/Famicom = da original ;video games; i had in past
- SNES
- Sega Genesis/Mega Drive
- GameBoy, GameBoy Color, GameBoy Advanced
he might've set up some 300 some games in total for all these plus 'Emulator' softwares and man...it was absolutely bomb times for me 😍

later when internet arrived in maybe 2010s decade i got other systems' emulators + ROMs and started real emulated retrogaming on PC and even started educating myself about all these things, and it's still going on strong...
meanwhile i got newer PCs and what not, also explored a lot of PC gaming but the nostalgia is so strong with retro ones it could never be dropped by me...never will be...

^So, yeah this is my side of story regd retro gaming, it's long and booooring intro for some trivial thing but i needed it off my chest before going ahead to give a glimpse why i am so fondful of old school games etc...overall it's because past experiences-nostalgia but also due to 'the void' of not experiencing most of other games in life so there's bigger factor than some old memories things,
exploration,
and it's still happenig from my side, am reading about these things and trying to understand retro gaming as best as i could, but sadly mostly via emulation only because getting actual hardware here is simply impossible due to reasons known...

from next posts i'll try to stick to core of the topic, old games

Tactical Doge

𝕱𝖔𝖔𝖑𝖘 𝖗𝖚𝖘𝖍 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖆𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖑𝖘 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗
Country flag
You still play computer games?
You are in college aren't you?
Yes sir
Second year khatam hone hi wala hai
My neighbour is 40+ and still plays games

It's not about age, it's an escape from the dull reality of outside world and people who genuinely understand it, will appreciate a good video game like a work of art

prasadr14

PrasadReddy
Yes sir

It's not about age, it's an escape from the dull reality of outside world and people who genuinely understand it, will appreciate a good video game like a work of art
nearing 40 and I actively play games.
Spend 4-5 hours each week on Elder Scrolls.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
I understand vro , I ynder
Yes sir

I understand vro I understand
Near my home there are 2 gaming parlours .
One ac other non ac.
They play dota 2 , whatis dota 2?

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
There was this long time in my-our lives where we had PC but no Internet, so naturally gaming back then relied a lot on ;sharing-barter; etc things - i mean buying off games on CDs from those shops or buying blank CDs and getting it burned from friends and if you're really resourced then using USB pendrives to do this ;barter; , it was also era when most of the PC we had were just plain bullshit ones, underpowered and had lots of issues in general - but i noticed post maybe 2008 era PC scenario here started improving in general with advent of newer 'Pentium' (post Pentium 4 era ones i mean) and 'Celeron' and 'Atom' and later 'Core 2 Duo' etc processors becoming available, as well as RAM capacity in general going above 512 MBs etc,
This also resulted in rise of PC gaming here and inversly fall of playing these ;video games on TV; thing, and rightly so,
personally i never really moved away from playing these 'video games' (i still do sometimes, but now on my PC) but there is no shame in saying that PC gaming in general is wayyyyyy more superior than playing on consoles (this even stands today) except perhaps controllers part as some games just work better with hand held controller than playing with keyboards, notably racing games etc, then it also boils down to your personal preference-purview etc

coming back, after playing these games on 'video game on TV' thing, i got this PC in my life and the guy that set everything up in it was fortunately also a retro gamer, i mean he knew something that i was completely unaware of and knowing me enough he did this courtesy of setting up my PC right so i could keep on continuing with 'video games' from TV era...what he did was...
...setting up "Emulators" on it...
'Emulation' in simpler teams is just using a software to run these older games from different systems on your PC, you might require actual games files first called 'ROMs' in gaming lingo (these kinda goes in muh piracy reeeeee things but meh fvck it all)
Emulation enabled it for us to play those games on pc and even play those ones that we didn't-couldn't in past because they were simply unavailable to us,
it's no surprise that owner of the retrogaming website Emuparadise.me is also an indian origin guy who put these message there, go to the link here - https://www.emuparadise.me/staffinfo/MasJ.php

Anyway, Emulation was turning point for me as it opened my eyes to ;video games; as well as 'systems' that was unknown to me - i got some noteworthy games of these systems thanks to the guy who set up my first PC
- NES/Famicom = da original ;video games; i had in past
- SNES
- Sega Genesis/Mega Drive
- GameBoy, GameBoy Color, GameBoy Advanced
he might've set up some 300 some games in total for all these plus 'Emulator' softwares and man...it was absolutely bomb times for me 😍

later when internet arrived in maybe 2010s decade i got other systems' emulators + ROMs and started real emulated retrogaming on PC and even started educating myself about all these things, and it's still going on strong...
meanwhile i got newer PCs and what not, also explored a lot of PC gaming but the nostalgia is so strong with retro ones it could never be dropped by me...never will be...

^So, yeah this is my side of story regd retro gaming, it's long and booooring intro for some trivial thing but i needed it off my chest before going ahead to give a glimpse why i am so fondful of old school games etc...overall it's because past experiences-nostalgia but also due to 'the void' of not experiencing most of other games in life so there's bigger factor than some old memories things,
exploration,
and it's still happenig from my side, am reading about these things and trying to understand retro gaming as best as i could, but sadly mostly via emulation only because getting actual hardware here is simply impossible due to reasons known...

from next posts i'll try to stick to core of the topic, old games
Remembering old games
================
First game i'd like to mention is, 😏 not Mario but, this one,

so everybody recognises EA Sport's Criket 07 (and how original game notoriously butchered names of players, Tendulkar became Tendehar something lol)...but let's see how many recognise-remember this,
1651407284929.png

this,gentlemen,is called by many names "Brian Lara 2003" "International Cricket" etc, it was part of those 'game cassettes' we had in past that might've gotten many games in one etc
some other pics,
1651407436163.png

1651407444758.png

1651407451054.png

...but you know what's best part of this ?
this wasn't actually a 'nintendo licensed/approved/released' game means it wasn't an original NES//Famicom game at all,
rather, it was all coded by Hong Kong based bootleg games developers...
most likely they ported Brian Lara's International Cricket released for Sega Genesis/Mega Drive into this,
but yeah it was good enough port and had that ;feel; to it
(later i'll mention many more such ;bootleg; ports of games, some were actually good)
my best guess is, it was bootleg port of this one - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Lara_Cricket_'96

where to find it ?
trust me it took me so long to even find actual ROM for this game and i got it from a russian gamer-hobbyist website at here = https://cah4e3.shedevr.org.ru/
you'll find some of the most amusing ROMs, many ;bootleg; ones,
i'll also attach ROM file for this one with this post just in case,
link -> https://files.catbox.moe/bl2gg7.7z

oh and you would also need Emulator(s)...
imma drop some links, pick one that works best for you,
the one i'm using nowadays is Mesen

NES/Famicom Emulatos
before emulators, i'd suggest you would save BIOS files for NES and Famicom as some emulators do require those stuff, refer these links - https://files.catbox.moe/8b3ddi.zip and https://files.catbox.moe/ipudsj.zip

- Mesen -> http://www.mesen.ca/
- Nestopia UE -> http://0ldsk00l.ca/nestopia/
note that 7z library file (7zxa.dll) that comes with this emulator is kinda...broken, you might want to replace it with other DLL that works, just google it
- puNES -> https://github.com/punesemu/puNES/releases
fetch latest release
^these should be more than enough but just in case you need something else just google NES emulator

Gessler

Country flag

Delta Force :crying:

SKC

Country flag
Delta Force :crying:

I remember playing this one.
Also the Dessert Storm edition where we could play around Pyramids and Spinx. it used to look most realistic game during that era.

tommy

Have not played games in a while, is softonic or filehippo reliable sources for download? Any other sources?/

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles