Commonwealth Games 2014: GLASGOW, Scotland

Welcome

Country flag
i dont understand why there is no news about CWG in media..... Is it really from 23 july 14? just after 12 days !!!!

Welcome

Country flag
India to send 224 athletes in Glasgow Commonwealth Games

India will field a strong 224 member contingent, its second largest ever, in the Glasgow Commonwealth Games to be held from July 23 to August 3, with athletics forming the biggest squad of 41.

The sports ministry has cleared the 224 athletes from 14 sporting disciplines, including seven para-athletes, at government cost, along with a contingent of 90 officials, coaches and support staff.

The Glasgow Games will have 17 sports and 261 medal events and India will not be fielding athletes only in three disciplines -- netball, rugby sevens and triathlon.

The para-athletes will complete separately in a record 22 events in five different sports (athletics, cycling, lawn bowls, swimming and weightlifting).

2010 Delhi GWG had 21 sports and 271 medal events and India had fielded 495 athletes, the country's largest ever participation. India had won a record 101 medals ( 38 gold, 27 silver, 36 bronze) and had finished second behind Australia.

After the track and field athletes, who are expected to win between eight-10 medals, hockey players make the second largest contingent with 32 (16 men and 16 women players). Shooters, who are expected to win a major chunk of medals, form the third largest contingent with 30 marksmen.

Archery and tennis, which contributed a chunk of medals for India in 2010 Delhi CWG, have been removed from the Glasgow Games. In wrestling, Greco-Roman section will no longer be there in Glasgow and shooting medal events will also be dropped from 44 in 2010 to 19 in Glasgow.

Despite the reduction in medal events, Indian Olympic Association Secretary General Rajeev Mehta said he was confident of winning more or less the same number of medals in Glasgow.

"I feel we will win more or less the same number of medals," he said after signing a sponsorship deal worth Rs one crore with leading dairy product brand Amul. The programme was attended by Indian hockey team members, including captain Sardar Singh and P R Sreejesh, and Glasgow-bound wrestlers.

IOA treasurer Anil Khanna said the entire amount of Rs one crore will be spent on the CWG-bound athletes.

India to send 224 athletes in Glasgow Commonwealth Games

Welcome

Country flag
Saina Nehwal Pulls Out of Commonwealth Games

New Delhi: India's hopes of fetching five badminton medals at the Commonwealth Games suffered a massive jolt on Friday as ace shuttler and defending champion Saina Nehwal pulled out of the Glasgow event after failing to recover from leg blisters sustained during the Australian Open Super Series triumph last month.
"It is an extremely difficult decision but an important one," a heartbroken Saina told PTI ahead of the event which starts on July 23.
"I had suffered a groin injury during the first round in Australia and then there were those blisters on my leg but I still won the title. After I came back I had two and a half weeks but I took one week to recover, so hardly got a week to train. So, I decided to pull out. It's heartbreaking for me as well," she said.
The Olympic bronze medallist, who is believed to be suffering from a knee injury as well, said she had to take the decision of withdrawing from the Glasgow Games in order to get fit for the rest of the season which includes important tournaments like the World Championship and the Asian Games.
"I did start practicing and I hoped that I could still go and play, but then I didn't want to exert myself too much. I don't want to risk an injury again. I have to be fit for the rest of the season. There are two more important and equally big tournaments coming up next -- the World Championship and Asian Games. So I had to take a call," said Saina. ('Was Never Far from Winning a Title')
"It is important to go into such big tournaments knowing you are 100 per cent and especially when I am playing well and have won an event. It will enhance my chances of winning a medal for India," she added.
Currently world number seven, Saina had defeated Wong Mew Choo of Malaysia in a thrilling final during the 2010 Commonwealth Games to bag a gold.
"I know I am a favourite at Commonwealth Games. I am the defending champion but I still have to play and give my 100 percent to win the title. In sports, it is difficult," the 24-year-old insisted.
India had won four medals in the previous edition of the Games at New Delhi. Besides Saina's gold in women's singles, the pair of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa won the yellow metal in women's doubles, Parupalli Kashyap earned a bronze in men's singles, while the hosts settled for silver in the team event.
Saina's withdrawal is a big blow to India as the shuttlers were hoping to win at least five medals this time around, with P V Sindhu in women's singles and K Srikanth in men's singles also having bright chances of a podium finish.

Saina Nehwal Pulls Out of Commonwealth Games - Badminton News

Free Karma

Gold and silver for India at weightlifting.

2 more gold (guaranteed atleast silver medal) chances at Judo, and 2 bronze chances.

India beat Canada 4-2 at hockey.

Free Karma

Because Tennis and Archery have been replaced by Triathlon in Glasgow CWG 2014. :truestory:
Dont understand why they would replace archery fairly popular sport...sure fire medals for us in those :D They also dropped about 18 shooting events and 6 greco-roman wrestling events,, all were medal prospects for us :(

But they did include judo which has given us 4 medals :)

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
Dont understand why they would replace archery fairly popular sport...sure fire medals for us in those :D They also dropped about 18 shooting events and 6 greco-roman wrestling events,, all were medal prospects for us :(

But they did include judo which has given us 4 medals :)
They should include Kabaddi in CWG and dump silly sports like 'Lawn Bowling'. Lawn Bowling ! wtf !! :dude:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles