Cold War 2.0

chex3009

Country flag
US general says we could be screwed in a war against China or Russia

WASHINGTON — The Army’s top general says military forces on the ground face a high level of risk if the United States gets into a large-scale conflict against a power such as Russia or China.

Testifying Wednesday on Capitol Hill, Army Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Milley says years of combat in Iraq and Afghanistan, constrained budgets and troop cuts have had a cumulative effect on the service.

Milley says the Army is ready to fight the Islamic State group and other terrorist organizations.

But what Milley describes as a “great power war” against one or two of four countries – China, Russia, Iran and North Korea – would pose greater challenges.

Milley says the Army’s readiness is not at a level that is appropriate for what the American people expect to defend them.

salute

Milley says the Army’s readiness is not at a level that is appropriate for what the American people expect to defend them.
he is saying like russia or china invading or putting their navy bases around pacific oceans island surrounding usa,

but thing is its american navy and military who are positioned them at south china sea and close to russian borders with nato under the name of 'protection' to the small countries,

usual american strategy scare the small countries around china,russia,india so americans put their military bases at those small countries,

and then threat russia and china if you do anything it gonna start ww3,

this is great if any sh*t happens other than ww3,only the small countries around russia,china gonna get destroyed because of war or regional conflicts,

and blame goes to russia and china for the war.

no smoking

Country flag
I think China and Russia have realized that they cannot survive long term in the current financial and security architecture.
On the contrast, it is Americans realising that they can't continue to live in the current financial and security architecture. They will be damned if they continue to allow China to grow within the current world system.

The current financial and security system was built to handle the external enemy like USSR. But first time in the history, there is a country will threat US within this system. Unlike Russia, China put herself inside this system from the beginning.

That is why Americans desperately want a new system (TPP) to replace the old one because they are losing by the old rules.

Though it is more difficult for China as Chinese public are crazy about the West.
It was only true in 1980s and 1990s. Even though they still like the some parts of western culture, but not unconditionally any more. Even Hollywood has to change some scenes of their movies according to the taste of Chinese audience.

Chinese public traditionally has low confidence in their own government. So it is a big challenge for China.
Wrong, Chinese public doesn't trust their government, but has very high confidence in the government's capabilities. There is a big difference here.

However China is preparing for a big fight, and it is clear who that fight is going to be with.
Wrong again.
If China is preparing for a big fight with American, she should do the followings:
1. restart nuclear material production, but they didn't;
2. increase their warhead dramatically, but they didn't;
3. produce their ICBM at full speed, but they didn't;

So, at most, China is preparing for the conflict, not a big war.

More likely, Chinese is doing everything to avoid a war against US. They are buying time and they believe they can win more if there is no war.

garg_bharat

Country flag
If China is preparing for a big fight with American, she should do the followings:
1. restart nuclear material production, but they didn't;
2. increase their warhead dramatically, but they didn't;
3. produce their ICBM at full speed, but they didn't;

So, at most, China is preparing for the conflict, not a big war.

China is practically a closed society. Western agencies have difficulty understanding China who deploy huge resources. We in India obviously lack Western resources. Can we trust China with any of what you have written, in view of such huge lack of reliable information??

I understand that China is different from USSR. China's approach is different and China stands at a different level compared to USSR. However fact remains that China is in this position due to American policy of most favoured nation status given to China in 1990.

Chinese people's trust in Chinese government and currency is displayed by the current capital flight. The rush to convert yuan to USD is ridiculous but Chinese are doing it in increasing numbers.

I have worked with Chinese people who migrated from mainland China. The love of everything Western is strong in Chinese mind, this is expressed by Chinese themselves.

garg_bharat

Country flag
The Western financial system is built for a single purpose, that is to ensure Western hegemony. The financial system is as much a tool of power projection as the military.

The Chinese thinking of attaining prominence within the existing rules is flawed, as West does not want anybody challenging it.

no smoking

Country flag
China is practically a closed society. Western agencies have difficulty understanding China who deploy huge resources. We in India obviously lack Western resources. Can we trust China with any of what you have written, in view of such huge lack of reliable information??
It is not about "trust". You are expressing your opinion about how Chinese is thinking. As a Chinese who speaks Chinese, writes in Chinse and talks to Chinese every day, I simply point it out that your opinion seems not match my experience within Chinese society.

But maybe you have a better understanding about Chinese than me even though you can't speak Chinese, can't read Chinese and don't talk to many Chinese every day.

I understand that China is different from USSR. China's approach is different and China stands at a different level compared to USSR. However fact remains that China is in this position due to American policy of most favoured nation status given to China in 1990.
This so called "most favoured nation" policy is not something allowing China to enjoy the better term above others.
In last 80s-90s, China was not a member of WTO, which means China couldn't receive the same trade term as Japan, Korea or even India. Since trade relationship is 2 ways, it would put American companies in a weaker position in Chinese market as well. So, in order to solve this, American offer this status to China. So, this "most favoured nation" policy doesn't really make you "most favoured".

Chinese people's trust in Chinese government and currency is displayed by the current capital flight. The rush to convert yuan to USD is ridiculous but Chinese are doing it in increasing numbers.
Don't you read financial news?
1. Chinese economy is running low at the time, international hot money is moving out to find better opportunities;
2. Chinese is shutting down those low-end/high-pollution factories, they are moving out;
3. Chinese government itself is pushing the overseas investment;

I have worked with Chinese people who migrated from mainland China. The love of everything Western is strong in Chinese mind, this is expressed by Chinese themselves.
Oh, please, how many Chinese you have ever worked with? How many talk beyond work you have with them each day?
Based on your logic, every Indian should be a perfect dancer because everyone dance in most Bollywood movies I saw.

garg_bharat

Country flag
@no smoking, speaking Chinese is not necessary because people who come overseas speak English.

I have a high regard of Chinese people. I have pleasant experience of working with them, though quite some time back.

I have said here and you have read that I want more Chinese to come to India and work here, and more tourists as well.

As trusting China (from India's perspective), it will come slowly as relations develop.

chex3009

Country flag
As trusting China (from India's perspective), it will come slowly as relations develop.
I totally agree with you on this. To add to that on any given day, you can trust the Chinese more than the Amirkhans. This documentary gives you deep insight into Amirkhans strategic thinking and their ever existing balancing (equal equal) act, nothing which was not known earlier, but keeps things in perspective.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Americans are bringing wars to many nations. Several countries are already destabilized.

India itself has not been spared, which is facing a mini-cold war with Pakistan primarily due to American military aid to that country. But that is only on surface. The Western agenda is very active in moulding Indian public opinion. The idea seems to be to make India weak from inside, while increasing threats from outside.

China is also not friendly, but it does not try to shape Indian discourse and Indian public opinion. So there is a big difference. A war is easier to fight compared to active long term sabotage.

HeinzGud

Country flag
Americans are bringing wars to many nations. Several countries are already destabilized.

India itself has not been spared, which is facing a mini-cold war with Pakistan primarily due to American military aid to that country. But that is only on surface. The Western agenda is very active in moulding Indian public opinion. The idea seems to be to make India weak from inside, while increasing threats from outside.

China is also not friendly, but it does not try to shape Indian discourse and Indian public opinion. So there is a big difference. A war is easier to fight compared to active long term sabotage.
IMHO India did a major strategic blunder by going to the war with China. However it is not wise to trust any one. But India and China have shared a common mutual beneficial relationship for millenniums. Therefore it is sad to see both these Asian giants locked horns over a barren piece of land despite how strategic it is.

I think there is still time for reconciliations.

chex3009

Country flag
I really like the way China is responding to Khans threat, although asymmetrically its very effective and keeps Unkil's design in check.I am still not convinced why Narendra Modi's Sarkaar is hell bent in playing good boy to the Khan when all we gain from them are color revolution and their form of "democracy" and some lessons in "Freedom of speech and religion". This sarkar's Khan and TSP policy is really very flawed.

garg_bharat

Country flag
"Narendra Modi's Sarkaar is hell bent in playing good boy to the Khan"

There is no such thing.

A war is not a possibility in the short term. So you have to keep minimum relations as it is a neighbour.

chex3009

Country flag
"Narendra Modi's Sarkaar is hell bent in playing good boy to the Khan"

There is no such thing.

A war is not a possibility in the short term. So you have to keep minimum relations as it is a neighbour.
I am sorry but by Khan I meant the most powerful "democracy" of the world - Aamirkhan or Unkil or whatever suits

garg_bharat

Country flag
I am sorry but by Khan I meant the most powerful "democracy" of the world - Aamirkhan or Unkil or whatever suits
I think you do not understand. Bulk of India's exports (and thus high paying jobs) are oriented towards the West.

India has to buy American weapons. It is "mazboori".

India will also buy European engineering goods. This is also "mazboori".

However India can always give preference to local programs in defence. Nobody can question that.

no smoking

Country flag
@no smoking, speaking Chinese is not necessary because people who come overseas speak English.
Yes, great, now you are claiming 2 things, which are not 100% right:
1. The Chinese coming overseas have great language skill in English, which I can ensure you that we are not. From my own experience, after 14 years learning and working in Australia, I still have difficulty to express myself sometimes, especially my emotion. So, there is a big question mark if you get them right;
2. Chinese generally hate to give you negative response especially when you don't have very close relationship with them, either they don't trust you, or they are being polite.

So, yes, speaking Chinese doesn't guarantee your best understanding, but non-Chinese speaker will 100% fail to understand them.

garg_bharat

Country flag
1. My contact with Chinese was with ones with foreign education. So they would have gone through that 14 years already.

2. All Chinese are not same, that you agree.

3. There is a difference between discussing general or business; and discussing national security. You cannot assume that Chinese will be reserved in every matter.

4. Chinese have human emotions just like other people on this planet. I fail to understand your point about not understanding Chinese.

chex3009

Country flag
Excellent analysis on how a future scenario between US and China could shape things in Asia and South-East Asia.

no smoking

Country flag
1. My contact with Chinese was with ones with foreign education. So they would have gone through that 14 years already.
Still the same language problem.

2. All Chinese are not same, that you agree.
And you already claim you know Chinese people better because you worked with a couple of them?

3. There is a difference between discussing general or business; and discussing national security. You cannot assume that Chinese will be reserved in every matter.
It is not about the talking topic, it is about how close you are. If you are only working with them, the big chance is they were reserved in almost every matter.

4. Chinese have human emotions just like other people on this planet. I fail to understand your point about not understanding Chinese.
See, that is why I suggest you may not understand Chinese people as much as you think. You failed to understand me in such a simple question, how can you understand any other more complicated issues?
Learning a different language like learning a different way of thinking, the best way to learn Chinese ideology is to learn Chinese, same applied to English.

garg_bharat

Country flag
@no smoking, you are forcing a cliche on others, specially people who do not know Chinese well.

There are about 20 Chinese families in the apartment complex where I live in India.

I have worked in Singapore, Malaysia, USA, Canada just to name a few countries.

So I must have encountered dozens of Chinese.

You are just forcing your point on others.

Jangaruda

NATO has started wars on Russian borders
Crimea and Georgia . Many surrounding Eastern European nations are now in NATO.
Oil economy gone sanctions in place and Russia's Cold War allies India and China now pro west . Don't think NATO is so terrified?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who on Earth tld u that Ind is a former ally of russia?? As fr the chinese they would rather side with russia than with uncle sam in the event of a war... NATO is basically surviving due to fumds frm the US... In case of war not all NATO countries will be supportive to the US cause... Also previously western media had a huge influence in International arena bt nowadays its nt the same.... Where was USA wen the mighty russians annexed crimea

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles