Classical Indian Music ?

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Can some one suggest some melodious Classical Indian music in the form of Ragas, Tunes and songs ?

I recently heard "Rasiya ko Naar Banaori" by Kalpana Zokarkar, really liked it, would like to hear such songs, please post your suggestions.

Today heard some flute by GS Rajan, enjoyed it. :)

This thread is different than this one :- http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/what-are-you-listening-to.2900/

Please make this thread beautiful with your contributions.

@OneGrimPilgrim , @bose , @Rowdy , @thethinker @Screambowl , @bengalraider , @Mad Indian , @ersakthivel , @Abhijat , @parijataka, @Varahamihira, @asingh10 @saty @sob
@Sakal Gharelu Ustad, @tarunraju, @johnnyboy, @pmaitra, @Akim, @brational, @myana, @Illusive, @VIP, @aerokan, @tharikiran, @The enlightened, @WMD, @Kharavela, @Screambowl, @jackprince @DingDong, @bose, @Yumdoot, @amgupta,
@LalTopi, @Shadow, @LETHALFORCE, @Dovah, @PaliwalWarrior,
@gslv markIII, @Vishwarupa, @spikey360, @Kshatriya87, @WARREN SS, @Blackwater, @Sakal Gharelu Ustad, @myana, @silicon3, @angeldude13, @maomao, @arkem8, @roma, @Keshav Murali, @kaboom!, @Indx TechStyle, @gpawar, @Ancient Indian, @WolfPack86, @Srinivas_K, @Dark Sorrow and all others.

Last edited:

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Both Pandit Bhimsen and Nusrat are towering classical figures!

Take out time if you can. These songs really build up on you. I don't listen them often because they take 30 minutes to punch you in the face.

No surprise..Indians knew how to build ras. It really leaves you with a ras(taste) in your mind.

A chauhan

Country flag
Both Pandit Bhimsen and Nusrat are towering classical figures!

Take out time if you can. These songs really build up on you. I don't listen them often because they take 30 minutes to punch you in the face.

No surprise..Indians knew how to build ras. It really leaves you with a ras(taste) in your mind.
Pt. Bhimsen Joshi is fantastic, and Nusrat too, hearing Bhimsen Joshi now, great singer. I have heard Mora piya ghar aaya.

Epic channel shows some good ragas in a short melodious form, nice to hear them too. e.g. Koyaliya bole ambua ki daar pe...by Dhananjay Hegde.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Pt. Bhimsen Joshi is fantastic, and Nusrat too, hearing Bhimsen Joshi now, great singer. I have heard Mora piya ghar aaya.

Epic channel shows some good ragas in a short melodious form, nice to hear them too. e.g. Koyaliya bole ambua ki daar pe...by Dhananjay Hegde.
I am trying to recall a song from old Indian movie. It was about fight of two singers in some king's court. And one of them stabs the other I think.

A chauhan

Country flag
Short ones:-

..........................................................................................................................

A chauhan

Country flag

The Last Stand

Country flag
Would recommend some lighter Carnatic pieces, and am trying to restrict to short versions as they are better for people listening the first time.

- Vathapi Ganapathim, a beautiful song by Dikshitar
- Another Dikshitar masterpiece
- One of the famed Pancharatnas by Thyagaraja
- Another pancharatna, this one is more somber and devotional
- Fantastic keerthana rendered on the Veena

The essential difference between Carnatic and hindustani improvisation is that Hindustani focuses more on raga-based improvisation throughout, while Carnatic was a more refined system.

You would have a raga exposition, a short one or long one depending on whether the song was the main piece or not, then the song, then Kalpana Swaras - swaras based on the singer's imagination, within the song.

For the main song, there could also be the RTP (Ragam, Thanam, Pallavi) or simply Pallavi, which is a single line of the singer's creation and a creative display in that Ragam or various ragams in slowly increasing stages of complexity.

I will refrain from recommending such heavier pieces because they really need a long time to listen and also are an acquired taste.

If you are interested I can give some recommendations.

P.S. The first one is a bit more restrained by Yesudas than normal, I hope his voice makes up for it :D

The Last Stand

Country flag
Also, I would say generally in Carnatic,

Hamsadhwani, Shankarabharanam, Kambhoji and similar ragas are relaxing to listen to

Sree, Bhairavi (The carnatic Bhairavi :D), Todi (Equivalent of Hindustani Bhairavi), Dwijavanthi etc are somber, meditational, I would say. Maybe even Shanmukapriya can be here

Nattai and Aberi (the modern form) are very..energetic and, you could say pulsating. Or just fun!

A chauhan

Country flag
Also, I would say generally in Carnatic,

Hamsadhwani, Shankarabharanam, Kambhoji and similar ragas are relaxing to listen to

Sree, Bhairavi (The carnatic Bhairavi :D), Todi (Equivalent of Hindustani Bhairavi), Dwijavanthi etc are somber, meditational, I would say. Maybe even Shanmukapriya can be here

Nattai and Aberi (the modern form) are very..energetic and, you could say pulsating. Or just fun!
Thanks mate, really very nice information from you, and yes I'll prefer short ones as it wont take time. I have heard Hamsadhwani but not in a short form.I have mentioned my choice in the first post, short and melodious (which can be sung at leisure :) ).

Yesudas in the first one started odd but later grabbed it.

Regards

Last edited:

A chauhan

Country flag
Cross posting suggestions from an audiophile forum :-

Call of the Valley - H.Chaurasia/B.B.Kabra/S.Sharma - EMI
Jhanak - Kaushiki/A.Charabarty - Times Music

Pandit Omkarnath Thakur "Sangeet Martand"

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads