Civil war in Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scalieback

Professional
Don't worry. @Scalieback will support the Saxon no matter what. It is British after all. He would even support a dead donkey over a galloping horse, if the donkey were a Brit donkey, and the horse not Brit.
You can't post sensibly on here. Always the anti Brit bias. Did one nick a previous boyfriend from you?

As a mod, I'm surprised you're allowed to. Then again, it is DFI.

All vehicles can overturn, depends on the vehicle and the driver: http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/civil-war-in-ukraine.61895/page-730#post-1063311

apple

I didn't get any of that. What is DSHKM?
Really, google is your friend. DShK's are a very common (world's most common?) type of Soviet heavy machine gun. Wouldn't be surprised if India has 10's of thousands of them

To be fair to him he didn't realise the Brits converted Brens to L4's long before the Indians did

I'm glad you like them. They're okay for what they were designed for IMO and from what I've heard. Never driven one, so I don't have a great deal of experience on them
L4's were the 7.62 Brens, right? Despite my little flag grassing me up and revealing my current location, I'm from Australia. We had 7.62 "Brens", but not so many as we, at least the regular army, pretty much (from what i understand) went from .303 SMLE/ Bren/ VIckers to SLR/ M60 late 50-ish.

Good story about the 7.62 Bren's in Australian service. They got warehoused virtually unused. The last regular battalion to have still have their SLR's, M16's and M60's in the late 80's had a little hissy fit about not getting the new F88's (Steyr Aug) and F89's (Minimi's) and binned all their Vietnam era M16/60's and "replaced" them with SMG's and Bren's. Know a bloke who was reserve infantry in that period who claimed that on range days everyone used SLR's as the M16's had been shot to hell and barely worked, but when they went out bush the SLR's stayed behind and they all carried M16's. This wasn't because the M16 and 5.56 was lighter, it was to "help them with their transition" to the new gun.

As for the Saxon, till I saw them shipped to the Ukraine, I never knew they existed. So, I have no opinion of them. Reasonable ground clearance... do they have armoured floors and a V shaped hull? Were they designed for Northern Ireland?

Know the Australian army has rolled Leopard 1's and presumably, by now, M1 Abram's too. We wouldn't have rolled any of our Centurions, because Centurions were also used by the Indian Army and anything Indian's use can never fail

Last edited:

Akim

Professional
Country flag
I didn't get any of that. What is DSHKM?
DSHKM Soviet heavy machine gun. It is a proper name. DShK is not released since the beginning of WW2 is characterized by a system of feeding ammunition.In DShK is a revolving flow, modernized version of the slider.

The enlightened

You may do :) Type Arrse into Google.

I'll give you a heads up on it if you like, without the rabid anti Brit bias that is.

It is very much caveat emptor though. After Pmaitra, Ray and Yusuf left a while ago, there's only been a couple of Indians on it.

Might be worth joining, looking around and PM'ing Earth and Matter therein just so you get an Indian perspective as well. Not sure if Earth is still on it but Matter is.

Let me know if you want my take on it. It may be a while though as responding by phone isn't the best
I did check it out. Hostile numbers are significant as is the rabid anti-Indian bias:frown:.
What was your take?
Really, google is your friend. DShK's are a very common (world's most common?) type of Soviet heavy machine gun. Wouldn't be surprised if India has 10's of thousands of them
Yeah was lazing around.
DSHKM Soviet heavy machine gun. It is a proper name. DShK is not released since the beginning of WW2 is characterized by a system of feeding ammunition.In DShK is a revolving flow, modernized version of the slider.

Thats alright. What was mounted on that humvee?

Scalieback

Professional
I did check it out. Hostile numbers are significant as is the rabid anti-Indian bias:frown:.
What was your take?
I'm a Brit and an Anglo (can't recall your slang for it but white English) so I quite like it

As I said, be aware eg if you do like Pmaitra, Ray and Yusuf (can't confirm the latter) and one or two others go on willy waving about what India's been buying, making racist comments about Pakistani's, talking about coconuts, spout off about Britains rape of India etc. you'll get a hard time

There's different rules for different forums as well eg current affairs, generally be polite. NAAFI bar, anything goes pretty much.

Lots of talk about sex, alcohol and innuendo. Very wide range of knowledge

Need a thick skin at times. TBH, there's one or two who will bait you like Pmaitra does on his red mist of Brit hating but most are genuine and intelligent. Depends what you are looking for

Matter is the latest one to fall foul of users and mods because of referral to coconuts and in one breath wants reparations from Britain but doesn't think his money (taxes) should go on clean drinking water for the poor in India. Whatever your view on that doesn't bother me. Just remember it will others.

Ray started off very well and his stories went down well. However, when some others joined in he was upset that he'd lost some of the respect he'd had and nobody was subservient to him like they are/were on here. Then the anti Muslim and Pakistani hating came out and that was it

I could go on, but I'm on a phone so it's laborious. That's my take on it

Scalieback

Professional
L4's were the 7.62 Brens, right? Despite my little flag grassing me up and revealing my current location, I'm from Australia. We had 7.62 "Brens", but not so many as we, at least the regular army, pretty much (from what i understand) went from .303 SMLE/ Bren/ VIckers to SLR/ M60 late 50-ish.
Yep, 7,62 conversion of Bren used NI, Falklands GW1 etc I loved it personally.

Good story about the 7.62 Bren's in Australian service. They got warehoused virtually unused. The last regular battalion to have still have their SLR's, M16's and M60's in the late 80's had a little hissy fit about not getting the new F88's (Steyr Aug) and F89's (Minimi's) and binned all their Vietnam era M16/60's and "replaced" them with SMG's and Bren's. Know a bloke who was reserve infantry in that period who claimed that on range days everyone used SLR's as the M16's had been shot to hell and barely worked, but when they went out bush the SLR's stayed behind and they all carried M16's. This wasn't because the M16 and 5.56 was lighter, it was to "help them with their transition" to the new gun.
Fair one. Bit like keeping a rifle for ceremonial but a modern one for ops/exercises like the Yanks do

As for the Saxon, till I saw them shipped to the Ukraine, I never knew they existed. So, I have no opinion of them. Reasonable ground clearance... do they have armoured floors and a V shaped hull? Were they designed for Northern Ireland?
Developed to provide better protection to troops transiting to the front rather than soft skin trucks. Mostly an armoured taxi. Cheap armoured truck

Yep v shaped hull but not as good as Mastiff etc in that area. For a 70's design and 80's rollout, they're okay

They were used in NI with mods for screens. Last I saw one was in Akrotiri (Cyprus) when there's been a couple of problems

Know the Australian army has rolled Leopard 1's and presumably, by now, M1 Abram's too. We wouldn't have rolled any of our Centurions, because Centurions were also used by the Indian Army and anything Indian's use can never fail
I'm waiting to be told all about the nuclear powered Arjun. Best tank in the world etc :) Onviouly, would never roll .....

One mod on here I was having a discussion with really was bullshitting. Couldn't accept the CT lads had sh1t drills on their L4's, that he reckoned each man fired 5,000 rounds each of 7.62 on the L4's during basic and their CT 'bump hats' offered better protection than a standard Kevlar.

When I called him on it, he had a hissy fit and deleted my posts. Pmaitra then created a thread for that discussion and the mod then deleted (albeit Pmaitra reckons that's not what happened)

Anyway, dog needs to be walked

Last edited:

jouni

As the average Russian sits down with his morning coffee, turns on his computer and scans the latest posts on social networks, he finds every manner of accusation concerning who is to blame for the current difficulties: "Obama wants to take Ukraine away from Russia," "Putin has pushed the country into isolation," "Stalin destroyed the gene pool," "Gorbachev and Yeltsin broke and stole everything," "By turning toward the West, Peter the Great destroyed traditional Russian spirituality," and so on

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/opini...et-the-past-and-think-ahead-op-ed/527053.html

Scalieback

Professional
As the average Russian sits down with his morning coffee, turns on his computer and scans the latest posts on social networks, he finds every manner of accusation concerning who is to blame for the current difficulties: "Obama wants to take Ukraine away from Russia," "Putin has pushed the country into isolation," "Stalin destroyed the gene pool," "Gorbachev and Yeltsin broke and stole everything," "By turning toward the West, Peter the Great destroyed traditional Russian spirituality," and so on

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/opini...et-the-past-and-think-ahead-op-ed/527053.html
Hmmm, too much reliance on "who is to blame" and not enough on "what is to be done"

Another article on the current Russian psyche: http://www.themoscowtimes.com/mobile/opinion/article/526471.html

I was in Moscow this summer and repeatedly observed a curious phenomenon. I sat chatting with seemingly normal people when someone would switch on the television and the room filled with news of Ukraine. They transformed in an instant: their eyes looked mad, their movements became agitated and they began uttering incoherent blather about "the junta," "fascists" and "the killing of Russians." But once they turned off the television, they just as quickly reverted to ordinary people engaged in polite conversation.
I wonder how long the Moscow Times will be able to be relatively independent of state control.

In other news, Putin thinks Blatter should get a Nobel prize, that they want vast regions of the Arctic and want an enquiry into the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. It beggars belief that this is supposed to be a modern state looking for it's 'return' to the international stage

pmaitra

Don't bother talking to Pmaitra about vehicles. Lada Riva's are, in his opinion, superior to BMW's and some Indian copy of a Soviet era jeep are to quote him "just like a hummer". Actually, weren't you involved in the hummer discussion?
I think I had told you to quote me verbatim, and if you cannot, keep out.

If kindergarten level instructions do not penetrate your thick skull, then expect your posts, and responses to your posts to stand deleted.

pmaitra

You saw it on video? "Saxon" is a good AV, reliable engine and smooth movement.
Who made a fortune on this? The cost of one APC "Saxon" -55 thousand dollars. The cost of modification GAZ-66 in assault car "Crocodile" - 45 thousand dollars + GAZ-66.
"You saw it on video?"

What an inane question.

No, I read it in an ancient papyrus scroll.

How about you read my previous posts, and your question might already be answered?

Last edited:

pmaitra

You can't post sensibly on here. Always the anti Brit bias. Did one nick a previous boyfriend from you?

As a mod, I'm surprised you're allowed to. Then again, it is DFI.

All vehicles can overturn, depends on the vehicle and the driver: http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/civil-war-in-ukraine.61895/page-730#post-1063311
Perhaps these mythological concoctions will find a lot of traction in your regular haunt, but most people in DFI understand that the Brits hate us. Every time India does something good, they hate us. I'll let these haters simmer in their juice, while I will chip in once in a while and present some examples of British engineering at its finest. This time it was the Saxon. Some more to follow, soon. Brace up! :devil:

Scalieback

Professional
Perhaps these mythological concoctions will find a lot of traction in your regular haunt, but most people in DFI understand that the Brits hate us.
Complete and utter bollox. Source when I've ever said that?

Every time India does something good, they hate us. I'll let these haters simmer in their juice, while I will chip in once in a while and present some examples of British engineering at its finest.
You are wholly biased and have a chip on your shoulder like K2. Please grow up

This time it was the Saxon. Some more to follow, soon. Brace up! :devil:
More emoticons. The child at his best.

Do you really want me to bite and go on about Indian engineering and standards? It's pathetic. Grow up frat boy!

If you think the Saxon is a heap of junk, so be it. For it's time and purpose, it filled a gap.

Now go and get that (nappy) rash seen to

pmaitra

Complete and utter bollox. Source when I've ever said that?
Calm down. I did not claim you said so and so things. I don't have the habit of making things up. I am not @apple.

You are wholly biased and have a chip on your shoulder like K2. Please grow up
Yeah, ok, you are entitled to your opinion.

More emoticons. The child at his best.
Right, You don't use emoticons. You are an adult. [sarcasm]

Do you really want me to bite and go on about Indian engineering and standards? It's pathetic. Grow up frat boy!
Indian engineering standards, well, here is an example:

Royal Oil Field (British Engineering)

Royal Enfield (Indian Engineering)

If you think the Saxon is a heap of junk, so be it. For it's time and purpose, it filled a gap.

Now go and get that (nappy) rash seen to
Yes, I think the Saxon are a heap of junk, and yes, so be it.

Scalieback

Professional
Calm down. I did not claim you said so and so things. I don't have the habit of making things up. I am not @apple.

Yeah, ok, you are entitled to your opinion.

Right, You don't use emoticons. You are an adult. [sarcasm]

Indian engineering standards, well, here is an example:

Royal Oil Field (British Engineering)

Royal Enfield (Indian Engineering)

Yes, I think the Saxon are a heap of junk, and yes, so be it.
OMFG, an almost lucid post from you.

What's the point of the engines. Is it supposed to impress me? As I said, I could give many examples as you well know but there's no point and has very little relevance to the undeclared war by Russia on the Ukraine which is what this thread is supposed to be about.

BTW, your experience of Saxon is?

pmaitra

What's the point of the engines. Is it supposed to impress me?
What is the point? Didn't get it, did ya'? It was in response to your snide remark about Indian engineering standards.

Is it supposed to impress you? Nope. Anything that shows India in a good light cannot positively impress you, and anything that shows British engineering as inferior to Indian engineering can be, well, I'd rather not say it.

I could go on, but we'd go off topic.
BTW, your experience of Saxon is?
None. Not interested either. I have seen the video of that Saxon trying to climb that mound.

Mound 1 - 0 Saxon

Scalieback

Professional
What is the point? Didn't get it, did ya'? It was in response to your snide remark about Indian engineering standards.
As I said, it's irrelevant so why are you harping on about it?

Edited to add: What snide remark?

Is it supposed to impress you? Nope. Anything that shows India in a good light cannot positively impress you, and anything that shows British engineering as inferior to Indian engineering can be, well, I'd rather not say it.
You were doing so well, now the child has returned.... sadly

I could go on, but we'd go off topic.
Indeed, as I mentioned previously

None. Not interested either. I have seen the video of that Saxon trying to climb that mound.

Mound 1 - 0 Saxon
Whoop e do! Next!

If you're not interested, why keep going on about it? Or is it more Brit hate for the sake of it?

Last edited:

pmaitra

@Scalieback, why don't you open a new thread dedicated to the greatness of British engineering? That way, you won't be tempted to brag about it in every thread that you participate in, and there will be no scope of off topic posts being deleted. Even I might contribute as there are quite a few things British that I admire, but I know you will continue to accuse me of being anti-Brit, as is customary of you.

Last edited:

Scalieback

Professional
@Scaleyback, why don't you open a new thread dedicated to the greatness of British engineering? That way, you won't be tempted to brag about it in every thread that you participate in,
Source of me bragging. If none found, $50 to charity by you please
and there will be no scope of off topic posts being deleted. Even I might contribute as there are quite a few things British that I admire, but I know you will continue to accuse me of being anti-Brit, as is customary of you.
if the cap fits ......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles