Church in Kerala opposes Adani port

sob

Mod
Country flag
Buddy please do not just post the link of the article some lines or summary from your side will be appreciated.

Second I could not find any other source backing this article in a Gujarat Paper. Looks to be a motivated article to me.

Abhijat

Country flag
Compare this with the Thumba Equatorial Rocket Launching Station (TERLS),

Below is an excerpt from speech given by Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam ,
on the occasion of 3rd Annual Lecture of the UPSC Lecture Series on Governance,
New Delhi 1 December 2011:

It was during early 1960’s, the founder of Indian Space Research Programme Prof. Vikram Sarabhai with his team, had located a place technically most suited for space research after considering many alternatives. The place called Thumba in Kerala, was selected for space research as it was near the magnetic equator, ideally suited for ionospheric and electrojet research in upper atmosphere.

The major challenge for Prof Vikram Sarabhai was to get the place in a specific area. As was normal, Prof. Vikram Sarabhai approached the Kerala Government administrators first. After seeing the profile of the land and the sea coast, the view expressed was that, thousands of fishing folks lived there;
the place had an ancient St Mary Magdalene Church, Bishop’s House and a school. Hence it would be very difficult to give this land and they were willing to provide land in an alternative area.
Similarly the political system also opined that it would be a difficult situation due to the existence of important institutions and the concern for people who were to be relocated. However there was a suggestion to approach the only person who could advise and help. That was “Rev Father Peter Bernard Pereira” who was Bishop of the region.

Prof Vikram Sarabhai approached the Bishop on a Saturday evening, I still remember. The meeting between the two turned out to be historical. Many of us witnessed the event. Rev Father exclaimed, “Oh Vikram, you are asking my children’s abode, my abode and God’s abode. How is it possible?” However, both had a unique quality that they could smile even in difficult situations. Rev Father Peter Bernard Pereira asked Prof. Vikram Sarabhai to come to church on Sunday morning at 9.00 AM.

Prof. Vikram Sarabhai went to the church with his team again on Sunday. At that time the prayer was progressing with the recitation of Bible by Father Pereira. After the prayer was over, the Bishop invited
Prof. Vikram Sarabhai to come to the dais. The Rev Father introduced Prof Vikram Sarabhai to the people, Dear children, here is a scientist, Prof. Vikram Sarabhai. What do sciences do? All of us experience, including this church, the light from electricity. I am able to talk to you through the mike which is made possible by technology. The diagnosis and treatment to patients by doctors comes from medical sciences. Science through technology enhances the comfort and quality of human life. What do I do, as a preacher? I pray for you, for your well being, for your peace. In short, what Vikram is doing and what I am doing are the same - both science and spirituality seek the Almighty’s blessings for human prosperity
in body and mind.
Dear Children, Prof Vikram says, he would build within a year, near the sea-coast, alternative facilities to what we are having. Now dear children, can we give your
abode, can we give my abode, can we give the God’s abode for a great scientific mission?” There was a total silence, a pin
drop silence. Then all of them got up and said ‘Amen’ which made the whole church reverberate.

That was the church where we had our design centre, where we started rocket assembly and the Bishop’s house was our scientists’ working place. Later the Thumba Equatorial Rocket Launching Station (TERLS) led to the establishment of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC) and the space activities transformed into multiple space centers throughout the country. Now this church has become an important centre of learning, where thousands of people learn about the dynamic history of the space programme of India and the great minds of a scientist and spiritual leader.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles