Chinese troops too close for India's comfort, warns top general

amitkriit

Chinese troops too close for India's comfort, warns top general

One of the senior-most army commanders in the country has dropped a bombshell by declaring that Chinese troops are stationed on the line of control (LoC) between India and Pakistan. Lt Gen KT Parnaik, who heads the operationally critical Northern Command, warned that China's military presence in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir was too close for India's comfort.

Gen Parnaik said China's links with Pakistan through PoK facilitated quicker deployment of Pakistani forces to complement the Communist neighbour's military operations, outflanking India and jeopardising its security. Top military commanders are usually tight-lipped when it comes to China matters.

"It poses military challenges to India and not only along the Sino-Indian border but also along the LoC," Parnaik said at a seminar in Jammu last week.

The possibility of China and Pakistan joining forces in India's farthest frontiers, illegally occupied by the two neighbours, would have "direct military implications" for New Delhi, a defence ministry report had warned two years back.

Parnaik said, "We hear many people today who are concerned about the fact that if there were to be hostilities between us and Pakistan what would be the complicity of the Chinese. Not only because they are in the neighbourhood but the fact that they are actually stationed and present on the LoC." He said Chinese presence in Gilgit, Baltistan and Northern Areas was also increasing steadily.

The ministry's annual report for 2008-09 had alerted against the possibility of China "enhancing connectivity" with Pakistan through disputed territories in J&K, including PoK.

Parnaik said, "The Chinese links with Pakistan through PoK lend strength to the China-Pakistan nexus which has been of great security concern for us. It jeopardises our regional and strategic interest in the long run"¦the Chinese footprints are too close for comfort."

The 1962 India-China war ended with China seizing some 38,000 sq km of Indian territory in Aksai Chin in the eastern-most fringes of J&K. Pakistan went on to unilaterally and illegally cede another 5,120 km of territory in northern Kashmir to China under a 1963 pact.

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
Whats new in all this? It's a known fact that Chinese activities has increased manyfolds, as they know very well that a corrupt and impotent GOI at center would do nothing to jeopardize their money making activities - a conflict surely hampers swindling billions into swiss bank accounts. Also, there were reports suggesting Kargil war was orchestrated by CCP through pakistani army (their payed mercenaries) to test the preparedness of IA, moreover test capacity of the Nationalistic GOI led by BJP to counter attack physically and diplomatically. They had some clue as to how IA would react under a nationalistic govt., however had no idea how a nationalist GOI would go about diplomatically. Further, Kargil was important to them as they knew a CONgress led govt. would always give a blind eye towards Chinese incursions and border misadventures, and lie to the country and hide facts. They never expected that India would attack with full force and yet not cross the border, and make pakistan look like a squeaky sw!ne begging for a ceasefire for which they could not do anything and US came out as the super master of pakistan and not CCP.

Now, they have a clear idea as in when to do all sort of misadventures i.e. every move depends on who is at the center and how strong is the leadership.....the more corrupt, sham, nepotist, dynastic - the govt., better chances of repeating - nehru legacy.

Last edited:

amitkriit

Why isn't USA doing anything to restrict Chinese military presence inside Pakistan? Doesn't China pose a danger to American plans in Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan?

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
You have to compartmentalize the Chinese-US relationship.....For South Sea relationship criterion is different and more to do with show of strength and at other places its more mutual, its been same since CCP started working as a lap-dog for US against USSR....However, US does not give a shyt if China occupies terroritstan (actually that will be a favorable scenario for the US). They are least worried about Gwadar - Karakorum pipeline and more concerned about CIS-Gawadar pipeline. So till date China is no danger to US interests in middle-east and CIS region, moreover they are cleverly pitting India against China - which is evident from this govts. policies (I just hope India does not become a slave of US due to corrupt govt. and babus , in a fashion similar to what has become of pakistan .

Last edited:

no smoking

Country flag
Why isn't USA doing anything to restrict Chinese military presence inside Pakistan? Doesn't China pose a danger to American plans in Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan?
How can USA restrict Chinese military presence in Pakistan? The only way USA can archieve this is providing more military support to Pak which means more advanced weapons and financial aid.

I don't think any indian would like this.

amitkriit

How can USA restrict Chinese military presence in Pakistan? The only way USA can archieve this is providing more military support to Pak which means more advanced weapons and financial aid.

Looks like Pakistan has decided to change it's master then. China in POK is really a bad omen for us, I think China will try to increase the pressure on Western front, making us vulnerable in North-East.

Country flag

If USA loses Pakistan to the Chinese better for India, USA will have no choice except to take India as an ally and buildup India against the alliance. The closer China and Pakistan have become has resulted in India's access to better weapons(and Pakistan inferior Chinese weapons).

AOE

I think LF summed up my view on this one; and about time too.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Takeing sides is not my cup of tea. I think we have our own side and always did as the non-aligned movement proved that, takeing sides reduces your ability to rely on yourself and build better weapons and technologies. I think that policy of not takeing sides how ever hypocritically and half halfheartedly it was followed allowed us to spurn our own technologies from the Space Agency to Missiles and Aircraft's so if we take sides that would limit us to being buyers like in the case of MMRCA. In my opinion that 10billion should be given to DRDO to improve infrastructure and come out with a 4.5gen fighter jet which is more realistic of NAL-HAL capabilities, instead we are seeking foreign support.

AOE

Takeing sides is not my cup of tea. I think we have our own side and always did as the non-aligned movement proved that, takeing sides reduces your ability to rely on yourself and build better weapons and technologies. I think that policy of not takeing sides how ever hypocritically and half halfheartedly it was followed allowed us to spurn our own technologies from the Space Agency to Missiles and Aircraft's so if we take sides that would limit us to being buyers like in the case of MMRCA. In my opinion that 10billion should be given to DRDO to improve infrastructure and come out with a 4.5gen fighter jet which is more realistic of NAL-HAL capabilities, instead we are seeking foreign support.
This is not true. If the US and India align interests in Asia, this will not mean that India will become a vassal or be a lesser of any sort. Such language is emotional and not ground in reason.

The US is allied with England, France, and Germany. All three of these countries have booming economics, their own major technological developments, and space programs. I've even seen threads here where people generally think that European made jets will out-do American made ones.

Of course the alternative is you could reject foreign help and go it alone, all in the name of blind nationalism.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
This is not true. If the US and India align interests in Asia, this will not mean that India will become a vassal or be a lesser of any sort. Such language is emotional and not ground in reason.

The US is allied with England, France, and Germany. All three of these countries have booming economics, their own major technological developments, and space programs. I've even seen threads here where people generally think that European made jets will out-do American made ones.

Of course the alternative is you could reject foreign help and go it alone, all in the name of blind nationalism.
This is comparing Apples with Oranges. Indian Government is not France or Britain, we are still a developing country and will easily get tempted to buying foreign goods. As it is we are the largest buyer of foreign arms in the world. France and Britian had an empire and their culture was more towards self-reliance but India on the other hand does not have the same culture and is pron to becoming reliant and cozy, haveing no friends or to have a challenge only brings out the best in you.

Moreover no one is rejecting foreign help, India is an ally of the US and NATO countries and ties are growing stronger which is the right way to go but its demonic to say the least when the US has and is still supporting Pakistan and helping Chinese economy grow faster than an Democracy like India is a sober reality that we should live with and does not help build trust in anyway. USA will definitely cause us more harm in the long run if we take sides we will only fall into traditional stereo types and bring biases to any negotiation table either with China or Pakistan. For Pakistan and Taliban we would become the Kafir alliance which we already are and would become an eternal conflict of good vs evil, right now its still only Kashmire. With China it would become an US vs China issue for dominance in Asia, so its better to go to any negotiation table as India and not with any more baggage. We should learn to solve our problems by our-self which is very important for our growth and stability.

Last edited:

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
India is not even capable of dealing with a full-blown border conflict with China on its own, let alone deal with both China and Pak on 2 separate fronts - Cold-start or no Cold-Start !!

That is why the India has been kissing Chinese ass on the border despite numerous provocations and insults on the LOC.

Self-Reliance is great only if you can get things done by yourself within a given timeframe.

We are talking about a country here which took 30 years to close a deal to get trainer aircraft for the IAF. Despite every IAF chief begging for 2 decades and losing more pilots than any nation in the history of the planet during peace time - it still took about 25 to 30 years before they got the Hawk Trainers. The same applies for every major weapons acquisition program.

Its not that the Indian Army or IAF are not good - its simply that the buearocracy is so entrenched that nothing can ever get done fast. Forget about fast - it would be good if they can get the MRCA planes in within the next decade ???

So how in the hell is India going to be self-reliant/Non-aligned and have a independent posture if the Chinese with their Pak partners become really nasty and decide to crank it up to the next level.

Folks, I dont think this is Rocket Science. As China gradually becomes more and more assertive as their economic and military strength increases - India will have 2 choices. Gradually give in to Chinese demands on the border, etc, or become part of military alliance with the US and other democratic ASEAN countries like NATO.

Last edited:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
India is not even capable of dealing with a full-blown border conflict with China on its own, let alone deal with both China and Pak on 2 separate fronts - Cold-start or no Cold-Start !!

That is why the India has been kissing Chinese ass on the border despite numerous provocations and insults on the LOC.

Self-Reliance is great only if you can get things done by yourself within a given timeframe.

We are talking about a country here which took 30 years to close a deal to get trainer aircraft for the IAF. Despite every IAF chief begging for 2 decades and losing more pilots than any nation in the history of the planet during peace time - it still took about 25 to 30 years before they got the Hawk Trainers. The same applies for every major weapons acquisition program.

Its not that the Indian Army or IAF are not good - its simply that the buearocracy is so entrenched that nothing can ever get done fast. Forget about fast - it would be good if they can get the MRCA planes in within the next decade ???

So how in the hell is India going to be self-reliant/Non-aligned and have a independent posture if the Chinese with their Pak partners become really nasty and decide to crank it up to the next level.

Folks, I dont think this is Rocket Science. As China gradually becomes more and more assertive as their economic and military strength increases - India will have 2 choices. Gradually give in to Chinese demands on the border, etc, or become part of military alliance with the US and other democratic ASEAN countries like NATO.
If Chinese where so superior they should have over run India by now, you forget chinese technology like aircrafts are no in anyway superior to India. So to close the gap with China is an realistic goal and i still think HAL-NAL can make an 4.5gen aircraft instead of buying it in the market. I also cant figure out how the BAe Hawk is better than Indian made trainer like Sitra.

Last edited:

SHASH2K2

/\/\ does it mean GOI is aware of Chinse moves and is trying to suppress the news and Chinese have tacit approval from USA?

Parthy

Air Warrior
Chinese along LoC? Top general sounds warning

A top Indian Army general has warned that India not only faces the threat from Chinese troops along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) with China but it could well extend to the Line of Control (LoC) with Pakistan due to the expansive Beijing-Islamabad military nexus.

The massive build-up of Chinese military infrastructure all along the 4,057-km LAC, especially in the Tibet Autonomous Region, as well as the expanding Chinese footprint in infrastructure projects in PoK is by now well-documented. But this is the first time a senior Army commander has publicly expressed apprehensions about People's Liberation Army troops actually being stationed along the volatile 778-km-long LoC between India and Pakistan.

"It poses military challenges to India and not only along the Sino-Indian border but also along the LoC. And we hear many people today who are concerned about the fact that if there were to be hostilities between us and Pakistan, what would be the complicity of the Chinese. Not only because they are in the neighbourhood but the fact that they are actually stationed and present on the LoC," said Northern Army Command chief, Lt-General K T Parnaik, at a seminar in Jammu.

As first reported by TOI last year, Indian Army's new doctrine and "pro-active strategy" also factor in the worst-case scenario of grappling with China and Pakistan simultaneously in a two-front war.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...eneral-sounds-warning/articleshow/7880378.cms

Patriot

Country flag
Very soon PoK will called as CoK, it is quiet possible Chinese army might have permanent base in PoK. This move of Pakistan may cost it PoK.

Chinese may be eying access to oil wells of gulf countries. These developments are very interesting. But one thing for sure Pakistan will repent soon for having too much trust on Chinese.

Last edited:

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
/\/\ does it mean GOI is aware of Chinse moves and is trying to suppress the news and Chinese have tacit approval from USA?
I guess this news coming out means it is a warning shot from GoI side

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
This is so upsetting to know that InA is considering the implication on Indo-China relationship if during any future conflict between India and Pakistan the Chinese presence across LOC of any kind may suffer the damage. Did Americans or EU (NATO) gave a single thought about foreign nationals including thousands of Chinese working in Libya. Why on earth you will not target key strategic assets across LOC most of them which are constructed or under construction by some Chinese alleged non-military work force.
I hate to say but InA believes in making more timid and political statements than preparing for an onslaught on enemy.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles