Chinese Telecom Equipment Now Banned In India

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
So typical of you to spit these old BS everytime. If you can't say something new, just refrain from replying to my post.

You said that "The real reason is India doesn't want China to grow at their expense.", then why should India let the westerners like you grow at the expense of India. No one on this planet can be more greedy and evil than the westerners.
Because Western companies aren't going to steal IP of Indian companies, apply malware to their networks to conduct espionage, and won't conduct illegal trade actions through unfair competition. Alcatel doesn't violate WTO rules so what difference does it make if France is there. We don't care about spying on their networks nor do we care about taking their IP. Indian companies looking for low cost aren't going to buy French, they will buy their own indigenous products if they are suitable quality and they will replace the low end Chinese. If they want quality they can turn to Alcatel. The option is there and it is fair and risk free. It is a good move for Indian business to protect their own and good opportunity for Western providers to fill gaps.

ganesh177

Country flag
As far as mobiles are concenred, we dont need junk mobiles from china.
I just chekced some mobiles of spice, and they are really good at low price. With awesome quality, which chinese can never provide.
I am sure there are other indian players who at par, like maxx, onida, videocon.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
India Watch: Vendor Lockdown
April 29, 2010 | Ray Le Maistre |

There's never a dull moment in the Indian telecom sector, apart from the ongoing 3G spectrum auction that's on course to raise billions of dollars for the government. (See India 3G Auction: Day 17.)

During the past few days the latest subscriber numbers have been revealed, showing there's no letup in demand for new mobile connections; some interesting deals have been struck; and Indian companies have been releasing their latest financial reports. (See Bharti Needs More Data Drive and Subex Reports Full Year.)

And, of course, there's some scandal.

The latest controversy has potentially dire implications for Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd. and ZTE Corp. (Shenzhen: 000063; Hong Kong: 0763), but they're not the only vendors currently hamstrung by state security concerns.

Government slaps ban on Chinese equipment
The Department of Telecom (DoT) has requested India's network operators to halt any imports of equipment from any Chinese vendors, including Huawei and ZTE, because of potential security concerns, reports The Hindu Business Line.

If that ban isn't lifted soon it could seriously hurt the duo's plans to play major roles in 3G network rollouts, and delivery of smartphones, in India once licenses are awarded and network planning begins.

The DoT's move appears to be an extension of an earlier order, issued in December 2009, which requires operators to seek clearance from the DoT before any equipment purchase orders are placed.

It's believed that move was intended to intercept any orders heading to China. But the new rule appears to have affected all planned equipment purchases, whether they were due to be placed with Chinese vendors or not, as no orders have been approved since mid-December, according to a report by Voice&Data.

Mobile market approaches 600 million
India ended March with 584.3 million mobile connections, up by more than 20.3 million from the end of February. That means that, on average, 455 new mobile connections were activated every minute in India last month.

That's insane. It's easier to get your head around string theory than that statistic.

There are now 15 mobile operators in the country, with Videocon and Etisalat (formerly Swan Telecom) making their debuts in March: They signed up 32,178 and 354 customers, respectively, so humble beginnings.

By contrast, Bharti Airtel Ltd. (Mumbai: BHARTIARTL) is the market leader, with its 127.6 million GSM customers giving it a 21.8 percent market share.

Reliance Communications Ltd. and Vodafone Essar are the next largest players, with 102.4 million (17.5 percent share) and 110.9 million (17.3 percent share), respectively.

MTS India outsources to Alcatel JV
Alcatel-Lucent Managed Services, the joint venture between Alcatel-Lucent (NYSE: ALU) and Reliance Communications, has, it seems, won a deal to run the network operations of Sistema Shyam TeleServices Ltd. (a.k.a. MTS India) in three circles (service areas), according to The Hindu Business Line.

This is the first deal the joint venture has won outside of the Reliance empire. (See AlcaLu, Reliance Form Joint Venture and AlcaLu, Reliance Laud JV.)

nimo_cn

Country flag
Because Western companies aren't going to steal IP of Indian companies, apply malware to their networks to conduct espionage, and won't conduct illegal trade actions through unfair competition.
Instead of spitting crap out of your big mouth here, give evidence to back up these first.
When does Huawei or ZTE steal IP of Indian companies?
When does Huawei or ZTE apply malware to Indian networks to conduct espionage?
When does Huawei or ZTE conduct illegal trade actions through unfair competition?

Alcatel doesn't violate WTO rules so what difference does it make if France is there. We don't care about spying on their networks nor do we care about taking their IP. Indian companies looking for low cost aren't going to buy French, they will buy their own indigenous products if they are suitable quality and they will replace the low end Chinese. If they want quality they can turn to Alcatel. .
Let me tell you, Huawei has become the third largest telecom manufacturer and ZTE the fifth globally. Alcatel is left behind already, so stop showing off your pathetic Alcatel in front of us.

The equipments manufactured by Huawei and ZTE, especilly Huawei, are not low-end, copmared with the ones by their western counterparts. Their equipments are sold all over the world, include in Europe, not because they are cheap, but also because their quality can meet the demands. Huawei are providing equipments to 45 of the fifty global top telecom service providers,

The option is there and it is fair and risk free. It is a good move for Indian business to protect their own and good opportunity for Western providers to fill gaps
This time, it is beyond business because Indian goverment is involved.

And if India really wants to protect its business, it should concentrate on develping its own telecom equipment manufacturer, instead of imposing such a ban only on Chinese equipments.
If the ban is really practised, the only one who can benefit from it is the westerners. Without the competition from Chinese companies, soon western companies will rule the market.

Last edited:

nimo_cn

Country flag
As far as mobiles are concenred, we dont need junk mobiles from china.
I just chekced some mobiles of spice, and they are really good at low price. With awesome quality, which chinese can never provide.
I am sure there are other indian players who at par, like maxx, onida, videocon.
If you don't need junk phones, then just stop buying them.

We can't force you buy, the only thing we can do is attaching price label to them, putting them on the counter, and try to persuade you to buy them.
And now your government is banning us from doing that.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Instead of spitting crap out of your big mouth here, give evidence to back up these first.
When does Huawei or ZTE steal IP of Indian companies?
When does Huawei not steal? They copied Cisco Systems manual line for line they even got the same spelling errors.

When does Huawei or ZTE apply malware to Indian networks to conduct espionage?
When don't they apply malware? China is the capital of malware and SPAM.

When does Huawei or ZTE conduct illegal trade actions through unfair competition?
Every time they offer a product.

Let me tell you, Huawei has become the third largest telecom manufacturer and ZTE the fifth globally. Alcatel is left behind already, so stop showing off your pathetic Alcatel in front of us.
Now that they are barred from India, they will gradually fall from their global rankings as Alcatel has free reign in the market. It is growing fast, too bad you are locked out.

The equipments manufactured by Huawei and ZTE, especilly Huawei, are not low-end, copmared with the ones by their western counterparts. Their equipments are sold all over the world, include in Europe, not because they are cheap, but also because their quality can meet the demands. Huawei are providing equipments to 45 of the fifty global top telecom service providers,
They are only bought because they are cheap. Lowest bidder wins. Huawei gets the vast majority of its business in China from closed contracts. Once the 3G network is done there is not much left for it to do. With India closed the prospects for growth are not there, it will be the feat just to stay in the current position.

This time, it is beyond business because Indian goverment is involved.

And if India really wants to protect its business, it should concentrate on develping its own telecom equipment manufacturer, instead of imposing such a ban only on Chinese equipments.
If the ban is really practised, the only one who can benefit from it is the westerners. Without the competition from Chinese companies, soon western companies will rule the market.
India will be free to do that now China won't be there underbidding every contract. Hope they kick out Chinese energy providers too, there is dubious quality causing serious concern.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
armand although off topic but Alcatel is not costly but it is the culture which is hindering there growth by culture I mean the corporate culture in particular of Europeans. The Europeans companies are not aggressive in pricing from the word go they take there own sweet time to respond to changing market conditions. Where as US companies are aggressive and about Chinese well they are backed up with huge government subsidies which as you rightly say is not the right market practice. Nimo it is Indian agencies which felt the threat of malware hence the ban so there is no point in debating by clutching the word "proof" a humble request

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
If you don't need junk phones, then just stop buying them.

We can't force you buy, the only thing we can do is attaching price label to them, putting them on the counter, and try to persuade you to buy them.
And now your government is banning us from doing that.
Ganesh and nimo both of you mate please what nimo says is right that if quality is not good then you should not buy but nimo the reason for ban is different then what you two are debating right

Super Commando Dhruva

Excuse me mam, but have you installed any Huawei/ZTE/Alcatel/Siemens/Cisco/Juniper switches/Routers/GSM equipments in your life before sticking "pathetic" in front of Alcatel and boasting on Chinese product because in my 10 years career, with four multinationals and ISP's in networking and GSM, i ironically felt otherwise.

nimo_cn

Country flag
When does Huawei not steal? They copied Cisco Systems manual line for line they even got the same spelling errors.
Irrespective of the athenticity of your accusation, i want to ask you when cisco becomes an Indian company.

When don't they apply malware? China is the capital of malware and SPAM.
And again, irrespective the athenticity of that accusation, please dont dodge the quetion of when Huawei or ZTE apply malware to Indian networks to conduct espionage? We are not talking about the espionage of a government level.

Every time they offer a product.
What a joke!
I can make the same accusation about Alcatel !

Now that they are barred from India, they will gradually fall from their global rankings as Alcatel has free reign in the market. It is growing fast, too bad you are locked out.
You are predicting again. Good news, one more predictor born in DFI.

They are only bought because they are cheap. Lowest bidder wins. Huawei gets the vast majority of its business in China from closed contracts. Once the 3G network is done there is not much left for it to do. With India closed the prospects for growth are not there, it will be the feat just to stay in the current position.
Being cheap is not wrong, low price is always important for the development of successors like Huawei.

Huawei is negotiating with the US government to get the permission to buy the asset of motorola. obviously Huawei is expanding to American now, India is not the only market for Huawei.

India will be free to do that now China won't be there underbidding every contract. Hope they kick out Chinese energy providers too, there is dubious quality causing serious concern.
See? Westerners are too impatient to wait to benifit from the conflict between China and India.

Last edited:

raja696

well nemo ur talking about how fair to ban chinese products in India. Once my brother bought china mobile(rs 2,900) with lots of features than the costly authentic mobile launched(about rs 25,000 not mentioning model name) {note china mobile is pirated one to this authentic mobile), what i observed is china just merely copies the models of other mobiles simulating it with its own coded software but with less quality. I heard incidents like cell phones exploding when people tried to talk while charging them, because battery discharge very soon so they had to talk while charging and more than two people died because of this. Where as these incidents I never heard from other mobiles (not degrading your view against westerner).Point is safety, security and standards (quality)to follow must be highest priority which other mobile phone manufacturers are sticking to which increases cost factor,but china mobiles are only concentrated at low cost factor with far more less quality, no support en service, once we buy it no guarantee how long it would be in use. if china mocks other mobile model patents killing their income leads to other mobile companies to shutdown. If this happens these other companies too start produces low quality products like china do illegally , ultimately losers are we Indians buying worthless crap compromising quality products and services. Another thing not having IMEI number is very problematic with 80% china mobiles in India .but i agree with u that china mobiles have IMEI numbers but they are in less percentages. This again threat to security.while coming to Huawei and ZTE most of the internet wireless modems are from these companies in India , following chinese hacking in India infact world wide which happened few months ago are consequences of these strict measures because Huawei and ZTE source code for modems are actually designed by chinese based companies en can be accessed by intelligence hackers in your country and well equipped with loop holes in it which can biapass in to computers and networks .Mostly common end users are sufferers . China would have enjoyed market well if it has responded with good intention of marketing and with out narrow minded cyber attacks and with out money gabbing attitude with cheap lead painted toys(poisonous to small children) and low quality products.

Last edited:

nimo_cn

Country flag
Excuse me mam, but have you installed any Huawei/ZTE/Alcatel/Siemens/Cisco/Juniper switches/Routers/GSM equipments in your life before sticking "pathetic" in front of Alcatel and boasting on Chinese product because in my 10 years career, with four multinationals and ISP's in networking and GSM, i ironically felt otherwise.
No, i haven't. But the fact is Alcatel is left behind by Huawei. Of course, you can choose not to accept that.
And i want to clarify when i said Alcatel is pathetic, i was not trying to question the quality of its products.

And please don't call me mam, i am male!

Last edited:

Iamanidiot

The problem with banning chinese networks is security concerns coupled with the intention for home companies to grow.The GoI also wants to reciprocate for CCPs statements when our PM visited arunachal.We Indians are quite weak so the reciprocality was like this.

@Armand

The Chinese made turbines literallly choked the power plant my relatives built .The plant almost shutdown.We are going for L&T and BHEL this time

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Irrespective of the athenticity of your accusation, i want to ask you when cisco becomes an Indian company.

And again, irrespective the athenticity of that accusation, please dont dodge the quetion of when Huawei or ZTE apply malware to Indian networks to conduct espionage? We are not talking about the espionage of a government level.
Indian, Indian... what difference does it make what country? You do it all the time. You mean to tell me there isn't Chinese malware running around computers all across the globe trying to steal information? You don't steal IP a hundred times a day? Get over yourself... your country isn't that clean. China is the worst of the worst in those regards.

What a joke!
I can make the same accusation about Alcatel !
You can make accusations, no one believes anything Chinese have to say when it comes to unfair trade competition because we all know it is fact.

You are predicting again. Good news, one more predictor born in DFI.
Why don't you look at the stock ticker... ZTE just dropped 5%.

Being cheap is not wrong, low price is always important for the development of successors like Huawei.

Huawei is negotiating with the US government to get the permission to buy the asset of motorola. obviously Huawei is expanding to American now, India is not the only market for Huawei.
Being cheap is wrong when you do it illegally.

US will never let them buy Motorola when Ren Zhengfei is connected to the PLA . Moto just had a great Q1 earnings so they have no need for you to buy it. US government is barring Huawei from so many contracts you are wasting your time trying. India is 50 times the market is for Huawei when the US won't let you do anything. You really have few prospects.

See? Westerners are too impatient to wait to benifit from the conflict between China and India.
Anything that sees less counterfeit goods in the world is a nice thing.

nimo_cn

Country flag
The problem with banning chinese networks is security concerns coupled with the intention for home companies to grow.
By banning Chinese companies? Equipments produced by westerners are not safer than those by Chinese.

Do you really believe your home companies can compete with western companies, while they can't even compete with Chinese companies?

The GoI also wants to reciprocate for CCPs statements when our PM visited arunachal.We Indians are quite weak so the reciprocality was like this.
I see, Indians want to drag politics into business.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
No, i haven't. But the fact is Alcatel is left behind by Huawei. Of course, you can choose not to accept that.
And i want to clarify when i said Alcatel is pathetic, i was not trying to question the quality of its products.
Left behind by Huawei? How is that miss? Alcatel sells far more internationally than you do. Huawei is only large because of all closed Chinese contracts and its revenues are not that much larger in total.

And please don't call me mam, i am male!
Maybe you should change your picture. What do you expect people to think?

Iamanidiot

By banning Chinese companies? Equipments produced by westerners are not safer than those by Chinese.

Do you really believe your home companies can compete with western companies, while they can't even compete with Chinese companies?

I see, Indians want to drag politics into business.
Lol I find indian companies and products to be more reliable than chinese products.Quality control is an issue with China

Madam we are emulating the chinese.everything is political

nimo_cn

Country flag
@Armand

I am gonna to ask the three questions again, if you can't answer them properly with evidence, then shut up!
I will not allow you to turn this thread into another bashing China thread.

When did Huawei or ZTE steal IP of Indian companies?
When did Huawei or ZTE apply malware to Indian networks to conduct espionage?
When did Huawei or ZTE conduct illegal trade actions through unfair competition?

And i remind you again, it is only about Huawei and ZTE, nothing else.

Oracle

Dude, handsets manufactured by Huawei and ZTE have the valid IMEI number. Only the sanzhai mobile phones manufactured by some Chinese vendors don't.
And by the way, this time the ban is extended to communication equipments such as Switches, not just cellphones.
Did you not read my post. I said Chinese mobiles come with an IMEI with 15 digits, which is difficult to track. So, security is at stake. Do you understand now?

badguy2000

Respected Member
Dude, those western handsets are certainly better than Chinese ones. I have experienced it. Also, I certainly would love to use an iPhone from Apple, rather than an iChone from a Chinese maker. Say no to Piracy!

Yesterday in TOI, I saw an ad for a BlackBerry for Rs 2999/-. Upon inspecting it further, I saw that it is not BlackBerry but BlackCherry, a Chinese maker. Rofl.
guy, do you really think that "west-made" hand-set exist?

most of the so-called "made by west" in fact are made in China too, and are just tagged with "made-by west"

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles