Chinese Telecom Equipment Now Banned In India

nimo_cn

Country flag
India's Department of Telecom announced on Tuesday this week that it formally bans Indian mobile operators from importing much of the telecom equipment manufactured by Chinese companies, including Huawei and ZTE.
Though the department has previously informed operators in India to stop buying Chinese-made telecom equipment via unofficial channels, this is the first time for the Indian government to publish an official ban.

Prior to this, India's Ministry of Home Affairs expressed its worries that telecom equipment from some countries may have built-in spyware or malware, which will do harm to its intelligence department.

The Indian government has already published a ban on Chinese shanzai mobile phones that do not have International Mobile Equipment Identities before the launch of this new ban. The new rule will reportedly have great impact on the two Chinese leading telecom equipment makers Huawei and ZTE, because both of the two companies have plans to carry our large-scale expansions in the Indian market.

It will also affect emerging Indian mobile operators, who wanted to buy low-price network equipment from Chinese makers.

http://www.chinasourcingnews.com/2010/04/30/532180-chinese-telecom-equipment-now-banned-in-india/

nimo_cn

Country flag
Anyone explain to me, why does India only ban Chinese equipments? Any differences between the equiments made by Huawei and the ones made by Nokia?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Wow... India is finally sticking up for itself. ZTE had recorded 50% increase in sales thanks to India last year... thats gone. Huawei had big plans for India, already have much invested there and nearly $2 billion annual revenues. This is going to kill growth potential of Chinese top companies in the worlds most lucrative market. I am sure Europe will come jogging in to take their place.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Anyone explain to me, why does India only ban Chinese equipments? Any differences between the equiments made by Huawei and the ones made by Nokia?
Reason is explained in the news:

Prior to this, India's Ministry of Home Affairs expressed its worries that telecom equipment from some countries may have built-in spyware or malware, which will do harm to its intelligence department.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
The excuse is for security and afraid Chinese software will spy on their networks. The real reason is India doesn't want China to grow at their expense. They want relations with friendly countries who don't have claims on their land.

FKA3

good move for india, now they can enjoy the high price telecom equipment from the western companies!

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Wow... India is finally sticking up for itself. ZTE had recorded 50% increase in sales thanks to India last year... thats gone. Huawei had big plans for India, already have much invested there and nearly $2 billion annual revenues. This is going to kill growth potential of Chinese top companies in the worlds most lucrative market. I am sure Europe will come jogging in to take their place.
Armand already Alcatel and Siemens has a very decent share in Indian market and I think it will increases more now.I really don't think there will be push towards Avaya / Cisco as lot of government departments are increasingly looking for other options from traditional US companies.

It all depends on there marketing strategy now

Oracle

In Mobiles, there is a certain IMEI number (it is 16 digits) that is used to track mobiles. But Chinese handsets have a 15 digit IMEI number, making it difficult to track.

If Nokia, Ericsson and others follow the laws of the land, why cannot Huawei?

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
good move for india, now they can enjoy the high price telecom equipment from the western companies!
you forget to mention minus the malware mate :)

Oracle

Dude, those western handsets are certainly better than Chinese ones. I have experienced it. Also, I certainly would love to use an iPhone from Apple, rather than an iChone from a Chinese maker. Say no to Piracy!

Yesterday in TOI, I saw an ad for a BlackBerry for Rs 2999/-. Upon inspecting it further, I saw that it is not BlackBerry but BlackCherry, a Chinese maker. Rofl.

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
India is to be lauded highly for this. France should emulate. Now if we could just get France Télécom to dump their Huawei contract.

Anyone know the state of India telecom equipment providers? Can they now get into their own market better.

nimo_cn

Country flag
In Mobiles, there is a certain IMEI number (it is 16 digits) that is used to track mobiles. But Chinese handsets have a 15 digit IMEI number, making it difficult to track.

If Nokia, Ericsson and others follow the laws of the land, why cannot Huawei?
Dude, handsets manufactured by Huawei and ZTE have the valid IMEI number. Only the sanzhai mobile phones manufactured by some Chinese vendors don't.
And by the way, this time the ban is extended to communication equipments such as Switches, not just cellphones.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Dude, those western handsets are certainly better than Chinese ones. I have experienced it. Also, I certainly would love to use an iPhone from Apple, rather than an iChone from a Chinese maker. Say no to Piracy!

Yesterday in TOI, I saw an ad for a BlackBerry for Rs 2999/-. Upon inspecting it further, I saw that it is not BlackBerry but BlackCherry, a Chinese maker. Rofl.
You should let the Indian comsumers decide what they want to buy, right?
I dont deny some western cellphones are better thanChinese ones, but is every Indian people able to afford them.

And ironically, most western cellphones you mentioned are in fact manufactured in China.

nimo_cn

Country flag
you forget to mention minus the malware mate :)
Mate, you are so innocent.

What makes you believe the westerners won't embed malware to the equipments if Chinese did?

I feel sad for your blind worshiping for westerners, but i believe westerners will feel happy that they have successfully cultivated faithfull admirer like you.

nimo_cn

Country flag
The excuse is for security and afraid Chinese software will spy on their networks. The real reason is India doesn't want China to grow at their expense. They want relations with friendly countries who don't have claims on their land.
Your words make some point on that.
But that is departing from the notion of free competition.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Your words make some point on that.
But that is departing from the notion of free competition.
Chinese competition isn't fair. Everything from currency manipulation , illegal subsidies, closed domestic contracts, to the military doing the companies research are all grounds for any country to bar Chinese Telecom companies. The US bars most Chinese, India now will bar all, only wish my own country would wise up to the facts that what you do is illegal.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Mate, you are so innocent.

What makes you believe the westerners won't embed malware to the equipments if Chinese did?

I feel sad for your blind worshiping for westerners, but i believe westerners will feel happy that they have successfully cultivated faithfull admirer like you.
Well you are completely gone off to tangent here it's Indian intelligence agencies who are not comfortable with the equipments they feel there is a risk to national security there hence the decision I am only putting forward the points which have been mentioned int he news forwarded by you.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Chinese competition isn't fair. Everything from currency manipulation , illegal subsidies, closed domestic contracts, to the military doing the companies research are all grounds for any country to bar Chinese Telecom companies. The US bars most Chinese, India now will bar all, only wish my own country would wise up to the facts that what you do is illegal.
So typical of you to spit these old BS everytime. If you can't say something new, just refrain from replying to my post.

You said that "The real reason is India doesn't want China to grow at their expense.", then why should India let the westerners like you grow at the expense of India. No one on this planet can be more greedy and evil than the westerners.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Well you are completely gone off to tangent here it's Indian intelligence agencies who are not comfortable with the equipments they feel there is a risk to national security there hence the decision I am only putting forward the points which have been mentioned int he news forwarded by you.
nitesh, Thank you for your reasonable reply.

But the security problem can be everywhere, are you sure the equipments manufactured by westerners are safer than the ones by Chinese, if the security concerns really exist? Why does India only do this courtesy to Chinese companies?

The security problem here is more like being used as an excuse to restrict the import of Chinese equipments.

And one more question, i knew that ZTE has set up factory in India to manufacture equipments locally, will these equipments produced within India also be deemed as Chinese equipments and be banned?

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
nitesh, Thank you for your reasonable reply.
We can have civil discussions right :)

But the security problem can be everywhere, are you sure the equipments manufactured by westerners are safer than the ones by Chinese, if the security concerns really exist? Why does India only do this courtesy to Chinese companies?
You know very well there is trust deficit between two countries hence the action on this front

The security problem here is more like being used as an excuse to restrict the import of Chinese equipments.
Well in terms of security some action has to happen it might not seems good to some but nothing can be done about it. May be Chinese government should talk to our Government for sorting this matter out

And one more question, i knew that ZTE has set up factory in India to manufacture equipments locally, will these equipments produced within India also be deemed as Chinese equipments and be banned?
Well I can not rule out this possibility

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles