Chinese students better at spotting fake news – Pisa

xizhimen

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Chinese students better at spotting fake news – Pisa
Students in East Asia are better at distinguishing a fact from an opinion than UK students, the latest Programme for International Student Assessment results show

By Claudia Civinini
03 December 2019

Students in East Asia, including parts of China, can differentiate between facts and opinions better than students in the UK, according to the latest findings from the Programme for International Student Assessment (Pisa).

The reading test in Pisa includes an assessment of the ability to tell whether a source is credible, to recognise bias and identify authors’ intentions.

The ability to differentiate between fact and opinion is considered to be at level 5 or above on Pisa’s six levels of reading proficiency.

On average across all countries, 7.4 per cent of 15 year olds achieve a level five, and 1.3 per cent get up to level six – the UK is slightly above that, with 9.5 per cent at level 5 and 3 per cent at level 6.

But in the four provinces of China Beijing, Shanghai, Jiangsu and Zhejiang (B-S-J-Z), which topped every single ranking in Pisa, 22 per cent of students read at level five or above, and 4.2 per cent are at level six.

For Singapore, the percentage of top performers is triple that of OECD average – 26 per cent of students achieved a level five or above, with 7.3 per cent reaching level six.

Referring to high-performing countries in Asia and East Asia, Pisa coordinator Andreas Schleicher said: “The capacity of students in those regions to deal with ambiguous, complex information, to think creatively about solutions, to navigate fake news is actually a lot better than in the case of the UK.

“Those countries are now developing very sophisticated skill sets among their young people, that involve complex problem solving skills, creative skills, critical thinking skills".

However, on average, only around 8.7 per cent of students across the OECD countries were at level 5 or above, meaning that less than one student in every 10 was skilled at distinguishing fact from opinion.

Joint general secretary of the NEU teaching union Kevin Courtney singled out the finding as a reason for concern and added that reading should be fostered as a habit for life.

He said: “The finding that globally fewer than 1 in 10 students was able to distinguish between fact and opinion is extremely worrying in an era of fake news.

“As the OECD points out, reading is no longer mainly about extracting information; it is about constructing knowledge, thinking critically and making well-founded judgements.

"We need to ensure that our education system focuses on developing these skills in our young people, not simply on cramming them with facts."

For the first time in 2018, the reading test was carried out in most countries with a computer-based, adaptive test.

The new assessment was developed in response to criticisms that the tests are “one-size fits all”.

https://www.tes.com/news/chinese-students-better-spotting-fake-news-pisa

xizhimen

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Chinese in general are better at critical thinking, meaning not fully trust media of any kind, while in the west the public just eat whatever crap their media feed them.

Holy Triad

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Chinese in general are better at critical thinking, meaning not fully trust media of any kind, while in the west the public just eat whatever crap their media feed them.
Bruh,honestly,I didn't expect this BS from you.

This stereotyping crap is very similar to what KKK teaches to his clan members.

:yawn:

xizhimen

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Really ??? What do the Chinese students say about the Uyighur re-education camps ?
They spotted as a fake news immediately with common sense, western media says 1-3 million people are being detained and China send men to sleep with Uighur women, that's simple stupid and not even a four years old believe it. Uighur total population is around 10 million and the only city with urben population over 1 million is Urumqi in Xinjiang. 3 million means one of 3 are in camps including the very young, very old and very sick, basically it means not a single healthy Uighur adult can be found on the streets in Xinjiang. China has 3 million armed forces and the people already complain that's too many and costly, if we have 1-3 million in camps where does China put them, there are just not enough facilities in Xinjiang to hold those many and what about logistics, food, water, electricity..., at least in China we are not that stupid to believe this nonsense.

xizhimen

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Bruh,honestly,I didn't expect this BS from you.

This stereotyping very similar to what KKK teaches to his clan members.

:yawn:
You can choose not to believe it, it's not done by me, go to challenge Pisa instead.

Holy Triad

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
You can choose not to believe it, it's not done by me, go to challenge Pisa instead.
Ok lemme bite,the issue is whether I believe the validity of the (bs) study or not.

what is your objective of this thread?

Does this study warrant for a separate thread?

What happens if the same group released a study saying Chinese students are slow in some other aspects? Would you be proud to share such info by creating a thread?

Since you are feeling sensitive about it,lemme add some other capabilities Chinese citizens.
  1. Doesn't care when their government massacre their fellow citizens(T square,cultural Revolution etc)
  2. Doesn't care about the irony of being a commie government running a capitalist regime which exploits the labour rights.
I'll add more depending on your further reply.
I'm not interested in criticizing your government or people but if you try to run a propaganda campaign all bets are off.

P.S. Human resource indexes are completely complex affair,where trying quantify with absolute statement is idiotic. Since you are interested in white man statistics,lemme give you solid one,murican school kids are ranked way lower than the most of countries,but in college(including ug/pg/phd etc) it dramatically changes into their favor. They are Smarter in that aspect.

xizhimen

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Ok lemme bite,the issue is whether I believe the validity of the (bs) study or not.

what is your objective of this thread?

Does this study warrant for a separate thread?

What happens if the same group released a study saying Chinese students are slow in some other aspects? Would you be proud to share such info by creating a thread?

Since you are feeling sensitive about it,lemme add some other capabilities Chinese citizens.
  1. Doesn't care when their government massacre their fellow citizens(T square,cultural Revolution etc)
  2. Doesn't care about the irony of being a commie government running a capitalist regime which exploits the labour rights.
I'll add more depending on your further reply.
I'm not interested in criticizing your government or people but if you try to run a propaganda campaign all bets are off.

P.S. Human resource indexes are completely complex affair,where trying quantify with absolute statement is idiotic. Since you are interested in white man statistics,lemme give you solid one,murican school kids are ranked way lower than the most of countries,but in college(including ug/pg/phd etc) it dramatically changes into their favor. They are Smarter in that aspect.
You can believe whatever those western nonsense and make wild claims, I m in China and I know what's going on here better than you do. I guess it's a China section of this forum and I share China related news and informations and nothing wrong with it, the forum rules don't say which information can not be shared, as for your question on Pisa accessments, it's really beyond my resources to answer you those questions, I don't work there.

Holy Triad

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
, I m in China and I know what's going on here better than you do
Kkk

China section of this forum and I share China related news and informations and nothing wrong with it, the forum rules don't say which information can not be shared

Forum is for discussions,not one sided monologue,

"I'll say anything,and don't question me"is typical dictatorial approach.

Besides,its a china section on indian defence forum,how it is connected with anything with india?

And again,your country is currently running active ops in my country and you come here with posting propaganda crap,and you want me to stay aside and watch?

Common sense,buddy common sense

Look,you are totally bombing this forum,

Last edited:

xizhimen

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Kkk

Forum is for discussions,not one sided monologue,

"I'll say anything,and don't question me"is typical dictatorial approach.

Besides,its a china section on indian defence forum,how it is connected with anything with india?

And again,your country is currently running active ops in my country and you come here with posting propaganda crap,and you want me to stay aside and watch?

Common sense,buddy common sense

Look,you are totally bombing this forum,

I think the reason why this forum has a China watch section is to have more Chinese here to post things about China, this section didn't have any new threads before, it needs to be more active, and it's a China section, not a China bashing section, and it's also ok if other posters like to post negative articles about China in this section, that's my understanding.

xizhimen

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
My posts are most video and picture posts where people can enjoy the sceneries of China, by the way.

Holy Triad

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
it's also ok if other posters like to post negative articles
First tried to ram me with your racial "superiority" and I once confronted it,now you get the "understanding" of democracy :doh:

people can enjoy the sceneries of China, by the way.
No thanks,we have a thing called "open Internet"

We are sworn enemies of pukis,even we didn't do this,
PDF fast becoming a China bashing platform

"if you hate me, I'll talk shit about you with your enemy"

Thats a Cheap shot man,

I hope somewhere there is a test to quantify such cheap behavior.....

Last edited:

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
People who have been fed one sided news for their whole life can spot fake news better than the rest of the world. Yes let that sink in.
This has got to be the joke of the century. @mods Do something about this chinaman. He is spamming the forum with 50 cent propaganda.

xizhimen

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Isn't that the study conducted by western groups,bit ironic you saying that,isn't it?
We judge it with common sense, if you believe China holds 3 million in camps and sent men to sleep with Uighur women, be my guest, I don't believe those crap anyway.

xizhimen

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
People who have been fed one sided news for their whole life can spot fake news better than the rest of the world. Yes let that sink in.
This has got to be the joke of the century. @mods Do something about this chinaman. He is spamming the forum with 50 cent propaganda.
You can choose not to believe it, it's reported by Pisa. I didn't write it.

Holy Triad

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
What? racial superiority... where does it come from?
This entire thread is based on that premise man,

Chinese in general are better at critical thinking,

Then,What do you call this?

The moment I poked a hole in your argument you said,"I know better than you"
I m in China and I know what's going on here better than you do

Answer this specific question,if you want further discussion,asked before I'll ask again

What is the purpose of this thread?(this specific thread)

Isn't it you are trying to establish racial superiority against the rest of the races?

xizhimen

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
The moment I poked a hole in your argument you said,"I know better than you"
I did say that Chinese are better at spotting fake news than westerners, but westerners are not everyone, I don't more much about India but we do spot news better than westerners, that's why when westerners come to China they are always shocked at how different China is comparing what they learned from their media, but when we visit western countries, not such kind of shocks because that's what we learned from our media, not much difference.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles