Chinese restaurant advertisement in Kuwait

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
.....because nothing proves authenticity of Chinese food than an Arab slanting his eyes.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
They are mocking the Chinese because of the eye configuration that the Chinese have.

Just not done, more so when the Chinese are so kind to them.

Maybe the Arabs are worried that they will give pork in the Chinese food since pork is the staple for the Chinese.

The Fox

i have one word for this add ................. Racism

amoy

Not so "racism" AFAIS. Take it easy. As for pork it's eaten worldwide except in a few religions/cultures.

Halal foods are also well received here. Ningxia is even recognized as a source for halal foods export.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The issue is not hallal food.

It is drawing the eye corners to make fun of the Chinese small and elongated eyes that look like slits.

That surely is most objectionable.

I think the Chinese are very sensitive about this. For instance, in one of the posts where a Chinese poster was overlooking what I had written, I appended the Beatles song, "Open up Your Eyes Now, tell me what you see". It was purely an English figure of speech. The Chinese claimed that it was racist and raised a hornets' nest.

Hence, the indication of slit eyes as Chinese is what is objectionable.

amoy

Ok, cultural shock? When I (or most Chinese I guess) first saw this ad, I thought this guy, with fingers pointing to his temples, meant he's smart , a gourmet makes a good choice - Chaomian (chow mien?).

Chinese, divervised in appearance, are not so sensitive to "eyes".

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Good that the Chinese don't mind this type of a ad.

This should be a nice ad to show how Chinese goods run the US.

Slit eyes and buck tooth!

I sure feel uncomfortable with this type of an ad, no matter how intelligent some may feel it is!

parijataka

Country flag
I dont find any racist intent here - the Arab guy is not mocking rather appreciating chinese food.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles