Chinese political discussions

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Before it was melamine infested milk, now it is lead poisoning. In the quest of prosperity and quick bucks, establishing companies without heeding to the environmental considerations, Chinese govt. is killing its own children. When will it learn from its follies?. It is high time that the chinese govt. should come out of the "get rich quick at any cost" mentality mode.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Parents seek answers after children abducted in China

Parents seek answers after children abducted

Story Highlights
Distraught Chinese families expose problem of children believed stolen to order
Parents who have lost children complain of police indifference
Boys can sell for $1,200, girls $200 in one-child China
Chinese official disputes figures; says change in law will help
By John Vause
CNN

DONGGUAN, China (CNN) -- Whenever Deng Huidong sees a little boy around 3 years of age, she can't help but wonder if he's her son. Her son, Ye Ruicong, was snatched by human traffickers more than a year ago when he was just 9 months old.

"I imagine how tall he would be, how fast he could run," Huidong said. I take photos of boys who are about the same age to see; this way I can recognize him if we ever meet one day."

Huidong believes Ruicong was sold, possibly within hours, to a family without a son looking for a male heir.

Males come with a premium price tag in China. During a videotaped confession, a woman caught trafficking children two years ago told police that boys can sell for up to $1,200, girls for just more than $200.

Ruicong was gone in an instant. Recalling the abduction, Huidong said a white van slowly drove by while she was just outside her home with her daughter and son. The van stopped and reversed to the Deng household. The doors opened and a man leaned out and grabbed Ruicong. The van then sped off.

"It all happened within seconds; they didn't even get out of the car." Watch how children are snatched »

Huidong gave chase on foot, screaming. A stranger on a motorcycle offered to help and together they chased the van until they reached a police car.

"I went in that damn police car but after a only a few seconds, they took a sudden turn down another road. I asked why but they just kept silent. I was crying and asking; they simply didn't reply. Later at the police station, I asked why and he told me he was off duty, so it was some one else's responsibility to catch the traffickers."

Despite repeated requests by CNN, the police involved refused to comment.

"We were really angry with the police," Huidong said. "Our son was snatched and they simply did nothing. It was like my lost son is less important than a dog."

Other parents whose children were lost have also complained of police indifference. Like Zhang Chunxiang, whose son went missing five years ago.

"Nobody helped us. The police did not think it was a big deal; it was November. It was not until December when they started to investigate."

Chen Fengyi's 4-year-old son was abducted while playing outside the family shop.

"The local police said our child had strayed by himself. Our entire family looked for him until dawn, I went back to the police station and knelt down to them but they didn't care, they kept saying 'the child went astray, look for him yourself.' The reason why they wouldn't open a case file was because there was no one who saw the abduction, nor was there video surveillance of the child being taken."

Police again declined to be interviewed.

But the man in charge of stopping human trafficking in China did agree to talk. Watch his assessment of the problem »

Chen Shiqu, director of the Anti-Human Traffic Division of the Public Security Ministry, confirmed that in the past if there was no evidence a child had been abducted, then police did not have to open a case. But now the law has changed.

"Local police have been told to react as soon as they are alerted and these cases are now being treated as a criminal offense," Chen said. "There were cases (in the past) with no witnesses, or security video available, police officers would help look for the missing child and investigate but the case wasn't treated as a crime. But now they're all treated as crimes."

Chen would not comment on specific cases, only saying the claims by parents in this report were the exception.

"The few cases you mentioned will be solved according to procedure."

Even when abduction has been caught on security camera video, there have been charges that the police have been slow to act. Lele was 3 years old when he was taken from a square in the city of Shenzhen, all caught by security camera video, but his father Peng Gaofeng says it took police eight days to watch this tape.

"They didn't say anything after they watched the video. They just copied it and said it was confidential. I thought they would try to find my kid with the video, but I never heard anything for two months. I asked the policemen and they said this case was confidential"

More than a year later, Lele remains missing, and his father says he is treated like a dissident.

"During sensitive times, like Children's Day, the government forces me to leave town ... they were afraid I would organize some activities like searching for kids. It's always like that."

Police in Lele's case did not respond to CNN's request for an interview.

Chen did not say how many children and how many women are annually trafficked in China, saying only the total for last year was 2, 256 - roughly divided evenly between children and women.

He disputed -- without saying why -- the U.S. State Department estimate that between 10,000 and 20,000 women and children are trafficked each year in China; he disputes the view from the United Nations that anecdotal evidence suggests the official numbers are low.

"Police stations have recorded every case of kids missing and trafficked," Chen said, "so we don't think your data are valid."

In 2005 the Committee on the Rights of Children said the Chinese government numbers almost exclusively refer to the number of rescues, not the number of kidnappings.

Chen says police have launched regular nationwide crackdowns, with rescued babies shown on state run television, there's a new most wanted list of the country's worst traffickers - 11 out of 20 he says have been arrested ......and something parents of missing children have been asking for... a new DNA data base, operating in parts of the country, is matching rescued children with their parents.

"The appearance of children missing or stolen changes so that even their parents have difficulty in recognizing them," Chen said.

The parents of the stolen children also have complained that the law does not punish the buyers, providing the child is not mistreated. As long as that doesn't change, they say, there will always be a market with traffickers eager to do business.

As for Deng Huidong, the mother of Ruicong, she said thoughts of a family reunion are too painful.

"These days I just keep thinking that my boy is being taken care of by a kind-hearted family. I could give my son up as long as they really like him, and just tell me he is living a comfortable life."

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Its very sad to read that police itself is hand-in-glove with the human traffickers. Hope this trend will be curbed by CCP.

IBRIS

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Authorities Kidnapped and Prevented Court Appearance by Witness for Huang Qi’s Case

August 05, 2009

(Chinese/中文)

On Aug 5, a closed hearing was held in Chengdu Wuhou District Court on the case of Sichuan rights activist and founder of Tianwang Human Rights Center (天网人权) Huang Qi (黄琦), who was suspected of "illegal possession of state secrets". Huang Qi was arrested by authorities after actively participating in Sichuan earthquake relief activities and helping parents who had lost their children seek justice. Huang Qi’s lawyers, Mo Shaoping (莫少平) and Ding Xikui (丁锡奎) appeared in court to enter a not guilty plea on his behalf. The court said the verdict will be pronounced at another time.

Human Rights in China (HRIC) has learned that Pu Fei (浦飞), a volunteer for Tianwang Human Rights Center who was taken away by unidentified people along with Huang Qi last June, was prepared to appear in court to testify in support of Huang Qi. On August 3, however, after speaking on the telephone with Huang Qi’s wife, Zeng Li (曾丽), Pu Fei was kidnapped in Chengdu by four police officers, brought to Nantong and prevented from appearing in court. When he protested, the police threatened him, saying, “Our public security offices are doing this to prevent you from continuing to commit crimes.” Pu Fei was detained by the police for two days, and was only released after the conclusion of Huang Qi’s hearing.

“Authorities who violate the law by abducting witnesses in broad daylight cause serious doubt that justice will be served in Huang Qi’s trial", said Sharon Hom, executive director of Human Rights in China. “This case, which is already tainted by suspicious politicization of the legal process, demonstrates that it is, as rights defender Teng Biao (滕彪) noted recently, the rule of law that is on trial in China. The Chinese authorities need to take immediate and public steps to assure domestic and international confidence in the fairness and openness of the trial.”

Zeng Li said that her son, Huang Qi’s parents, and 40 or 50 other supporters of Huang Qi were blocked from entering the court by a human wall of about a dozen policemen in the entryway of the courthouse. Zeng Li said that when four or five policemen pushed and pulled a handcuffed Huang Qi into the court, she “saw through the thick glass that Huang Qi made a ‘V’ for victory sign with his fingers at us.” The supporters that came were farmers who had lost land, evicted petitioners, and other rights defenders that Huang Qi had helped in the past.

Zeng Li told HRIC that she had delivered two applications to the court, one requesting to be present at the hearing and another requesting that Huang Qi be allowed to see his seriously ill father. Before the start of the hearing, the director of the court designated a judge to speak with her and inform her that her application had been denied. Zeng Li said, “I patiently explained to him that Huang Qi’s father is in the late stages of lung cancer and his condition is very serious. But this judge persisted to tell me that it was not allowed and also refused to tell me his name.”

Zeng Li said that Huang Qi’s lawyer, Mo Shawping, entered a not guilty plea, pointing out that the prosecutor’s evidence was insufficient, the legal documents not properly prepared, and a lot of the accusations did not hold up.

Zeng Li expressed that if Huang Qi was found guilty, the family will appeal to higher courts.

After the hearing ended, Huang Qi was led out of the court. Zeng Li said that at the time, “My son was shouting ‘Dad, Dad’ very loudly. The other people were also shouting, ‘Huang Qi, your mom is calling for you to go home to eat.’” Zeng Li said, “By the time we helped Huang Qi’s father to stand up, Huang Qi was out of site.”

Huang Qi disappeared suddenly on June 10, 2008, two months before the Beijing Olympics, because of his reports of the situation in earthquake-affected areas. It has been over a year since he was arrested by the authorities on the charge of “illegal possession of state secrets.”

Huang Qi established the Chengdu Tianwang Missing Persons Inquiry Service Center in October 1998 and the Tianwang Missing Persons website on June 4, 1999. This website was widely recognized by the media for its work on helping to find many missing people and unite family members. On June 3, 2000, Huang Qi was arrested by the Chengdu police for “voicing grievances about June Fourth, crying out for the democracy movement,” and other charges. After being detained for three years, Chengdu Intermediate People’s Court sentenced Huang Qi to five years’ imprisonment on May 9, 2003 for the crime of inciting subversion of state power. During his detention, Huang Qi contracted hydrocephalus, encephalatrophy, rheumatic heart disease, and other illnesses due to long periods of brutal beatings and torture.

After he was released from prison in 2005, Huang Qi launched a website called June Fourth Tianwang to continue domestic rights activities, publish rights protection information, and provide assistance to vulnerable groups. On December 31, 2006, the website June Fourth Tianwang was renamed the Tianwang Human Rights Center.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
China begins lifting strict one-child policy

China begins lifting strict one-child policy

China has taken the first step towards ending its controversial one-child policy by encouraging urban couples in Shanghai to have two children.

By Malcolm Moore in Shanghai
Published: 4:51PM BST 24 Jul 2009

China has taken the first step towards ending its controversial one-child policy by encouraging urban couples in Shanghai to have two children Photo: Getty Images

The easing of restrictions comes in response to concern about economic problems caused by the country's ageing population.

Shanghai is actively promoting the two-child policy as China tries to defuse a demographic time bomb caused by a shortage of young workers after 30 years of tough population growth restrictions.

The policy shift in the large coastal city marks the first time since 1979 that officials have actively encouraged parents to have more children.
If they are both single children themselves, husbands and wives in Shanghai are allowed to have two children.

While they have technically been allowed to do so before, the couples are now the target of a city-wide campaign to persuade them to make use of their extra allowance.

They will receive home visits and leaflets to promote the benefits of a second child.

The city government is worried about the rapidly rising number of elderly people and the resulting burden and drag on the Chinese economy.
"We advocate eligible couples to have two kids because it can help reduce the proportion of ageing people and alleviate a workforce shortage in the future," said Xie Lingli, the head of Shanghai's family planning commission, to the China Daily newspaper.

The policy shift will prove popular. A recent survey released by the Shanghai family planning commission showed that more than half of 4,800 respondents, aged between 20 and 30, said would like a second child if the one-child policy was eased.

China's one-child policy was originally designed to make sure the huge country's population remained at a manageable size, given the country's relatively low water, energy and food resources.

Experts predicted earlier this week that there will be zero growth in China's population of 1.3 billion people by 2030.

The US-based Centre for Strategic and International Studies warned in April that mainland China will have more than 438 million people older than 60 by 2050, with more than 100 million aged 80 and above.

The country will then have a population ratio of 1.6 working-age adults to support every person aged 60 and above, as compared with 7.7 in 1975.
Shanghai's over-60 population already numbers more than three million, or more than one-fifth of residents. But that proportion is expected to rise to around one-third by 2020.

In China, the number of citizens over 65 is forecast to more than treble from 106 million today to 329 million by 2040. This will hugely increase the cost of pensions and impose a major constraint on the future growth of China's economy.

Some economists have predicted that the stellar growth rates which have buoyed China's economy will become impossible with so many people set to leave the working population.

The demographic crisis has been compounded by government population policy which is estimated to have resulted in the birth of 400 million fewer people.

Population forecasts have shown that if the current one-child policy continues China's children of today, at the time of marriage in 20 years, could face the task of taking care of four parents and as many as eight grandparents.

At last week's Venice Biennale, Chinese artist Xing Xin has locked himself in a iron box for 49 days to protest at the one child policy which has long been criticised on human rights grounds.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
So finally, the inevitable has happened. China has realized the demographic drag it will going to have in the future as a result of its one-child policy and so relaxed its policy and allow couples to have more than one child. This news is very significant to China in particular and world in general as far as demographics is concerned.

O

oliveryty

it was Taiwan Communist Party, with no organizational relationship with the CPC in the mainland. It was registered complying with Taiwan's party-register ragulations.

O

oliveryty

will it become a branch of the CPC? i don't think so.

legally imposible

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Nice to have Communists in Taiwan.

What is important, who will vote it!

Taiwan is, after all, a democracy.

You can't kick them to vote Communist!

Who cares who are they are affiliated to?

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member

Ray, you may be wrong in this issue. India is also democratic country then also communist party tends to get elected.

masterofsea

I'm sure the Taiwanese people would very much like to unified with the mainland, just not under communism. Which is hated by the majority of the people there.
I don't hate communism.Why?there is the difference

communism with enterprise units state-owned:if the top managers buy a 1 million $ Ferrari car,people have right to ask"where did the money come from".

capitalism with enterprise units private-owned:the owner of the can buy anything,even private plane if he like.

this is the different.But some brainwashed poor workers in the west defend the capitalists who earn mony from their sweat blood work.It's so ironic.

IBRIS

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
China admits its cos' involvement in shipping fake drugs as MADE IN INDIA.

New Delhi: China has admitted that its pharmaceutical companies were involved in shipping fake drugs labelled 'Made In India' to Nigeria.

"The Chinese authorities have accepted this position (that its firms were involved in the case)," an official said.

"The Indian government took up the matter with the Nigerian authorities and on further probe, it was found that the drugs had actually originated in China and not in India," he added.

In June, Nigeria's drug regulatory authority National Agency for Food And Drug Administration And Control (NAFDAC) had reported about the detention of a large consignment of fake anti-malarial generic pharmaceuticals labelled 'Made in India' which were actually produced in China.

Following the incident, India took up the issue with China fearing that this could damage the reputation of the 12-billion-dollar Indian pharmaceutical industry in the global market.

Though, China had assured of investigations in the matter, Indian authorities were not given any time frame.

India has asked its missions in the region to step up vigil for protecting the nation's image and market.

"These kinds of incidents are also tarnishing the image of the Indian pharmaceutical products in the international market," the official said.

To crack down on the growing menace of spurious drugs, the government will introduce measures including roping in of private detective agencies, setting up a separate intelligence network and a reward up to Rs 25 lakh for informers.

"Steps are also being taken to set up drug testing centres at various ports, besides offering rebates in ceiling price to drug manufacturers adopting latest packing technology to counter the menace," an official said.

On August 3, a four-member Nigerian delegation led by NAFDAC Director General Paul Orhii met Indian authorities and discussed the recent seizure of the drug consignment.

NAFDAC has taken up the issue with the Interpol which is looking into the case.

China admits its cos' involvement in shipping fake drugs

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
Good, I applaud the Chinese in this case because they seem to have taken cognizance of this very serious issue and seem to have atleast acknowledged the existence of such companies that make spurious products and then tarnish the image of another nation...

I hope the Chinese actually take these people to court and try them with all the evidence. If the system is indeed fair, it should produce a conviction fairly easily because the evidence against them seems to be overwhelming...

This can actually be a bright spot in India China relations and I do hope to see more such uplifting news in the future...

youngindian

Country flag
China's military launches long-range war games

August 11, 2009

BEIJING —

China's military launched war games Tuesday aimed at deploying forces at long distances, reflecting moves to ensure security in the restive western regions of Tibet and Xinjiang.

The exercises will send 50,000 armored troops - the People's Liberation Army's "largest-ever tactical military exercise" - to unfamiliar areas far from their bases for two months of live-fire drills, state media reported.

The exercises involve four brigades from the major military regions of Shenyang, Lanzhou, Jinan and Guangzhou, which all will be deployed at least 750 miles (1,200 kilometers) from their bases, the reports said.

Such deployments would be needed to reinforce units in Tibet and Xinjiang, where security forces have battled renewed ethnic conflict and anti-government violence over the past two years.

China also continues to claim territory along its remote border with India over which the two fought a short but bloody border war more than 45 years ago. Its navy, meanwhile, has grown increasingly assertive in defending territorial claims in the South China Sea.

"In the unprecedented exercise, one of the PLA's major objectives will be to improve its capacity of long-range projection," the official Xinhua News Agency said. It said the war games constituted the army's "largest-ever tactical military exercise," although numbers of troops involved were relatively small.

The 2.3 million-member PLA is the world's largest standing military.

Long-distance deployment is also aimed at dealing with natural disasters such as last year's devastating Sichuan earthquake, which left almost 90,000 people dead or missing, according to Ni Lexiong, a military expert at Shanghai University of Political Science and Law.

"This is really about a rapid response to sudden events in Tibet and Xinjiang, but also the military will play an increasing role in moving supplies and responding to disasters," Ni said.

The PLA has undergone a rapid upgrade in recent years in both equipment and doctrine.

Two decades of almost annual double-digit increases in military spending have allowed the addition of cutting-edge fighter jets, nuclear submarines and hundreds of ballistic missiles pointed at rival Taiwan. China has announced a 14.9 percent rise in military spending in its 2009 budget, to 480.6 billion yuan ($70.3 billion).

At the same time, training and tactics have been redesigned to take advantage of information technology and China's much-improved economy and infrastructure.

The military has also taken steps to emerge from its traditional veil of secrecy and engage with other nations, most strikingly in sending ships to join the international anti-piracy flotilla off the coast of Somalia this year.

Nation & World | China's military launches long-range war games | Seattle Times Newspaper

ykk

china's central goverment must quickly pass law to severely punish those involve in kidnapping and those who made illegal purchase without consent of biological parent. This is purely kidnapping. What a crying shame!!

Antimony

Sir,

I guess the same way we have let the left front rule over WB for the past 30 years :(:sad::sad:

I sure hope there is some process in ROC that would keep an eye on this party and step in if it tries to undermine democrary there.

Antimony

I don't hate communism.Why?there is the difference

communism with enterprise units state-owned:if the top managers buy a 1 million $ Ferrari car,people have right to ask"where did the money come from".

capitalism with enterprise units private-owned:the owner of the can buy anything,even private plane if he like.

this is the different.But some brainwashed poor workers in the west defend the capitalists who earn mony from their sweat blood work.It's so ironic.
In capitalism it is the owners' money, they should be able to do whatever they feel like. If the poor brainwashed workers do not like what they get, they can go ahead and get another job anyway. The funny part is that in a capitalist system, there actually are other jobs that the poor brainwashed worker may switch to

Another difference communism and democracy/ capitalism.

In the first you work for the benefit of some nebulous entity called the state, but actually you work for the benefit of the politbureau members. In the second case, the government works for you. you do not like how they work, you kick them out.

Go ahead and beat that:113:

Antimony

Wen bhai will receive prank calls from Sonia Gandhi's children from now on.
Hello, you have reached the Hotline board between India and China

1. For English, press 1
  2. For Hindi, press 2
  3. For Italian, press 3
  4. For Mandarin, press 4
  5. For Catonese, press 5

From here on we can let our imagination run wild

1. To discuss giving a joint statement about Hindi-Chini brotherhood, press 1
  2. To discuss giving a joint statement about World Peace, press 2
  3. To discuss blaming Europe, America and Australia for the ills of the world, press 3
  4. To discuss Trade and Commerce, stay on line, an operator will reach you
  5. To discuss Kashmir, Tawang/ Arunachal Pradesh/ Mcmahon Line, Tibet, Xinxiang, hang up and try again:bye:
:Laie_39:
:113:

Antimony

Life imitates art

Totally relevant excerpt from "Yes Minister", Episode: The Grand Design

Jim Hacker: "Tell me, General, where is the Hot Line?"
General Howard: "Which one?"
Jim Hacker: "The one to Russia."
Bernard Woolley: "The Red Hot Line, Sir."
General Howard: "That's in Downing Street."
Jim Hacker: "So in an emergency, I can get straight through to the Soviet President?"
General Howard: "Theoretically, yes."
Jim Hacker: "Theoretically?"
General Howard: "That's what we tell journalists. In fact, we did once get through to the Kremlin, but only to a switchboard operator."
Jim Hacker: "Couldn't the operator put you through?"
General Howard: "We never found out. He didn't seem to speak much English."

Global Defence

New threads

Articles