Chinese Navy Destroyers

rockdog

Country flag
I looked this up!

Very powerful compared to other destroyers, I think. But compared to China's? That is very debatable!

Because there are only 3 Kolkata class and only 32 VLS cells for one kind of Israeli SAM and 16 VLS only for anti-ship missile. 48 missiles vs 88 on the 052D.

Also there are 25 052Ds with probably more coming -- unless China switches completely over to the 112 VLS cells Type 055!
He said no chance, no chance to meet in the big big ocean ... there is only 3 ...

Good destroyer but stands no chance against Kolkatta class.

J20!

Country flag
We don't ralk about quantity. In quantity, China is far ahead of everybody.

Just look at its shitty radars which keeps rotating like the radars of 80s and 90s. Look at the shitty missiles it fires and look how brahmos is fired. Look at those shitty HQ system against MR SAM which can intercept supersonic cruise missile just 500 meters. Where is the comparison? Kolkatta class has a radar which can be compared only with Agies system of US. If Brahmos is fired against Type 52, how would it defend itself against it? China has the numbers but what is the use of those numbers which can not defend itself against might opponents? They can just be useful against small neighbors.
This is such a fanboy comment. Do you even know anything about the missiles in that video?

Don't Kolkata and Visakapatnam class destroyers have rotating arrays? Namely the Thales Volume search radar at roughly the same position as the volume search array on the 052D?

HHQ9 is a LONG RANGE SAM. Not a medium range sam like the Israeli missiles on Kolkata and Visakapatnam. It outranges barak 8 significantly, meaning it can intercept Brahmos and other high flying missiles during their cruise phases BEFORE they go into their low altitude terminal phases (circa 50km from target).

The "rotating radar" you're mocking is an OTH long range detection VHF enabling detection of low rcs contacts beyond the horizon for cueing of the massive starring AESA arrays on the 052D. Arrays that by the way have many more T/R modules than the much smaller arrays on Kolkata and Visakapatnam.

Even 1 v 1, the 052D is the better AAW platform considering that both P15A and P15B only have 32 MEDIUM RANGE SAM's.

SexyChineseLady

Chinese UVLS has, by far, the largest cells.

Compared to Mk41 cells that populate all of USN surface combatants, UVLS is 300% as large.

Mk 41 - 55 x 55 x 655 cm³
UVLS - 80 x 80 x 900 cm³

I wouldn't be suprised if they put SRBM with glide vehicles into these.
View attachment 101343

Yes, Chinese destroyers will penetrate you with a much bigger missile than a Mk41!

Bhurki

Ya'll Nibbiars Ballastic?.
US IRCPS/LRHW are both 86 cm ballistic missiles with glide bodies.
This UVLS could easily carry a shaved version of those missiles.
Agm-183 is actually just 66 cm diameter.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
US IRCPS/LRHW are both 86 cm ballistic missiles with glide bodies.
This UVLS could easily carry a shaved version of those missiles.
Agm-183 is actually just 66 cm diameter.
Ya'll Nibbiars The Super Duper Missile's?.

J20!

Country flag
Chinese UVLS has, by far, the largest cells.

Compared to Mk41 cells that populate all of USN surface combatants, UVLS is 300% as large.

Mk 41 - 55 x 55 x 655 cm³
UVLS - 80 x 80 x 900 cm³

I wouldn't be suprised if they put SRBM with glide vehicles into these.
View attachment 101343
Nice illustration mate. However, the UVLS has 3 different lengths (3.3 meter, 7 meters n 9 meter). I believe what's shown in your pic is the 9meter cell.

Bhurki

The large size is probably mainly for accomodation of future ABM systems not for ballistic missiles themselves.

I think BM is probably too large unless you are using giant launch tubes like SSBNs. You cannot fit 112 BM-sized tubes even on a 13000 ton Type 055.
There's no requirement for PLAN to put ABM on its ships since they aren't forward deployed to outward areas.
The aft cells (48 units) of uvls are full depth (9m) and could easily accomodate an intermediate range ballistic missile carrying anti ship glider.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
There's no requirement for PLAN to put ABM on its ships since they aren't forward deployed to outward areas.
The aft cells (48 units) of uvls are full depth (9m) and could easily accomodate an intermediate range ballistic missile carrying anti ship glider.
Ya’ll Nibbiars the Mleechas probably already has the Small size IRBM developed or to being tested. A 2,000 Km to 4,000 KM Surface launched IRBM could be effective?.

J20!

Country flag
The aft cells (48 units) of uvls are full depth (9m) and could easily accommodate an intermediate range ballistic missile carrying anti ship glider.
Do you have a source for that?

Considering that the 052D's strike length cells are located fore, I believed the 055 destroyers would follow suit. Every YJ18 launch we've seen has been from the 052D's forward cells, ie, the 9m cells. We've seen HHQ9 (6.8 meter missile) launched from the aft cells (7metters) on 052D's but never YJ18's so the assumption has always been the forward cells are 9m and the aft are 7m length cells.

Thanks in advance mate...

Bhurki

Do you have a source for that?

Considering that the 052D's strike length cells are located fore, I believed the 055 destroyers would follow suit. Every YJ18 launch we've seen has been from the 052D's forward cells, ie, the 9m cells. We've seen HHQ9 (6.8 meter missile) launched from the aft cells (7metters) on 052D's but never YJ18's so the assumption has always been the forward cells are 9m and the aft are 7m length cells.

Thanks in advance mate...
9 meters is just the cell length.
The size for the system is actually more than 10m including support and mounting structures underneath the cells.

Depth seems inadequate in the fore cell farm to house anything thats 10m deep, since they are still in the bow of the ship.

Type_055_sensors_4~2.jpg

(Assume those people to be 1.75m tall, you'll need the depth to be 6 of those people stacked on top of each other)

Also, regarding 052d, its fore cells are placed longitudinally, so the outer cells are still within the central portion of the bow providing enough depth. Whereas 055 cells are placed beam wise, meaning the entire 8 cell structure will be just as long as the shallowest depth that is allowed.

Or maybe I'm just wrong.

Last edited:

J20!

Country flag
9 meters is just the cell length.
The size for the system is actually more than 10m including support and mounting structures underneath the cells.

Depth seems inadequate in the fore cell farm to house anything thats 10m deep, since they are still in the bow of the ship.

View attachment 101346
(Assume those people to be 1.75m tall, you'll need the depth to be 6 of those people stacked on top of each other)

Also, regarding 052d, its fore cells are placed longitudinally, so the outer cells are still within the central portion of the bow providing enough depth. Whereas 055 cells are placed beam wise, meaning the entire 8 cell structure will be just as long as the shallowest depth that is allowed.

Or maybe I'm just wrong.
Even placed beam-wise, the 055's still have more allowance for 11 meter cells forward than the 052D's do. But I get your point.

We'll have to wait to see ASCM, LACM or even BM launches from 055 destroyers to confirm.

skywatcher

Country flag
the fourth ship of 055 class destroyer DDG 106 Yan'an could be commissioned in coming weeks

Tang

Country flag
I looked this up!

Very powerful compared to other destroyers, I think. But compared to China's? That is very debatable!

Because there are only 3 Kolkata class and only 32 VLS cells for one kind of Israeli SAM and 16 VLS only for anti-ship missile. 48 missiles vs 88 on the 052D.

Also there are 25 052Ds with probably more coming -- unless China switches completely over to the 112 VLS cells Type 055!
Even if you arm it with 200 VLS, it doesn't matter if your missiles are not up to the mark.
One Brahmos(Mach 3 missle) & whole ship is down.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles