Chinese Navy Destroyers

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
051 go to museum. they're too old to be resold.
two 052s, one 051B and four Russian Sovremennys are old but they haven't retired. these destroyers could be resold in the future.
Even giving them away would still bring contracts to shipyards for the renovation of the ships. Chinese shipyards must be so busy they do not care and let them rust away never to be touched again. It is a bit wasteful if you ask me.

smooth manifold

Country flag
Oct.1 2019. Jiangnan shipyard update

055#1(pennant number 101), 055#2 with two 052ds

two 052ds on the left together with two 055s on the right

seems 055#1 is yet to be commissioned.

Last edited:

Bhurki

They started upgrades in 2014... they aren't finished yet?
They didn't start until late '16.
1st on is done refitting, 2nd is going on.
Changes include sunburn to yj12, shtil to ram+vls.

Bhurki

Anything about 054b? Or will they wait until huangpu is done with 075?

Bhurki

32 054/054As are enough. more frigates would be a waste of money.
I hope you are joking, the frigates are not only responsible for coastal defense but also sealane protection and anti piracy missions.
Having less frigates will only make larger combatants like 052d to be diverted to low intensity but necessary tasks like these. 054a was a limited design with an incremental approach and a better replacement for older frigates was already being thought off as these ships were being launched.Besides, 054a follow on has been indicated quite a few times by now.

smooth manifold

Country flag
I hope you are joking, the frigates are not only responsible for coastal defense but also sealane protection and anti piracy missions.
Having less frigates will only make larger combatants like 052d to be diverted to low intensity but necessary tasks like these. 054a was a limited design with an incremental approach and a better replacement for older frigates was already being thought off as these ships were being launched.Besides, 054a follow on has been indicated quite a few times by now.
I know 054A is not that advanced. it's 90's tech. don't forget 60+ 056/056A for coastal defense. if 054B is 6,000+ tonne, it'll overlap with 052d. if 054B is <= 5,000 tonne, what's the point? ships under 5,000 tonne sailing on high seas look like this.

it's not suitable for long distances. larger ships are the trend in the future. it's temporary expediency to let 054A to handle those missions that destroyers should undertake. I think what China needs is a 9,000 tonne class ship filling the gap between 055 and 052d, aka the rumored 052E.

Last edited:

smooth manifold

Country flag
as to 054A's role in the future, they'll just stay in South and East China Sea, they won't go far and undertake expeditions any more. It's my personal opinion, maybe I will be totally wrong.

Bhurki

I know 054A is not that advanced. it's 90's tech. don't forget 60+ 056/056A for coastal defense. if 054B is 6,000+ tonne, it'll overlap with 052d. if 054B is <= 5,000 tonne, what's the point? ships under 5,000 tonne sailing on high seas look like this.

it's not suitable for long distances. larger ships are the trend in the future. it's temporary expediency to let 054A to handle those missions that destroyers should undertake. I think what China needs is a 9,000 tonne class ship filling the gap between 055 and 052d, aka the rumored 052E.
Larger ships means more money.
For specialized systems like antisub warfare, 054a size is the best.
Any larger and you have to redefine mission profile for the entire class like providing it capabilities of a destroyer. 054a requires incremental update rather than a overhaul of design to entirely different class.
Hq16 to hq 9
Yj 83 to yj 12
Aesa radar
an improved sonar would suffice.
And none of these require redesigning the hull.

Bhurki

as to 054A's role in the future, they'll just stay in South and East China Sea, they won't go far and undertake expeditions any more. It's my personal opinion, maybe I will be totally wrong.
China has sent some 32 anti piracy task forces to gulf of aden, and most of them had the flagships as one or two of the 054a ships. These missions have become staple in these ships' deployments.

smooth manifold

Country flag
China has sent some 32 anti piracy task forces to gulf of aden, and most of them had the flagships as one or two of the 054a ships. These missions have become staple in these ships' deployments.
maybe currently they're just OK. but you know small ships have no future. it's a trend.

smooth manifold

Country flag
ships will evolve into multi role and integrated platform. specialized ships such as anti-sub will be gradually phased out. omnipotent ship is the future:biggrin2:

smooth manifold

Country flag
found a contract notice about some components of XX4B ship. don't know if it's 054B.

Last edited:

Petra Wajowski

Country flag
Unlike Amerimutts , Sand ******s, Paki ******s and Baby Eating Chink Gook Fucks, truth is a prevalent quantity in us Indians.

Hey, since we are calling each other names, you forgot..Apu, Bhindu, Bhrempti, Bhindu, Boojie, Buttonhead, Cow-Piss-Drinker, Cow-Kisser, Curry-Muncher, Dot-Head, Elephant Jockey, Gas Pumper, Hamilton, Higger (One of my favority), Indonigger, Julab, Kalu, Napkin ******, Slurpee Jockey, Spice Rubber, Swami, Turbinator, Wog.

Having lots of names seems to also be a prevalent quality for you Indians :)

Global Defence

New threads

Articles