Chinese Navy Destroyers

SexyChineseLady

Two Type 055 CG/DDG are spotted being built in Shanghai. Each with upwards of 100-120 universal VLS launchers! (Universal meaning each launcher can fire A2A, ASW or ASuW.)

Meanwhile at least 13 Type 52Ds with 64 universal VLS are commissioned or being built. There are signs that there will be even more! The first Type 052D was only commissioned in 2014 so the confidence level of this ship is extremely high.

Originally, analysts thought China would switch to a newer type after at most 6 Type 052Ds (there are 6 052Cs.) But with now 13 and maybe more counting, it is possible that China might be pursuing a hi-lo strategy in its DDG fleet with concurrent building of both the Type 055 as hi and the Type 052D as lo (even though the 052D by weight and number of missiles is already among the top DDGs in Asia!) This would be exceptional because no other nation has pursued multiple DDG/CG programs at the same time since the Cold War. The speed of development and deployment could mean Cold War numbers as well.

SexyChineseLady

The 052D program is like no other modern warship program in China or in Asia. The first of the type Kunming DDG-172 was only launched in 2012! Today, just four years later there are at least 13 spotted!

Currently in Shanghai, there are 4 052Ds representing 248 potential VLS being built concurrently.

There are three more in Dalian!

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Good luck for India in their future corvette program :)

The current Chinese frigate and corvette programs are the Type 054A (22 launched and 5 building) and Type 056 (30 launched, 40+ planned.)

Type 054A :

Type 056 :
Well, these were just corvettes.

We have also matching destroyers in service as well as construction. Though, we have only 30-40 VLS on each.

SexyChineseLady

The export version of the 054 is a scaled down model called the C28A.

Algerian C28A:

Export version of the 056 is the P18.

Nigerian P18 :

They are considered heavy and light corvettes respectively.

The 054A in PLAN service is much heavier with a 32 cell VLS.

SexyChineseLady

Well, these were just corvettes.

We have also matching destroyers in service as well as construction. Though, we have only 30-40 VLS on each.
What is the current Indian DDG program?

Are those universal VLS? Or single type launchers? Currently only China and the US produce universal systems. Japan and South Korea and other US allies have the same powerful Mark 41 system as the USN. If India developed one then it has passed the Russians who have only single-type launchers.

Amr

Type 52s are impressive but I don't think that the radar is in same league of AEGIS or even the ELTA radar on P15As

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
For latest, stealth (obviously significantly more advanced than Delhi class) P15A recently became operational, better P15B in advanced stages which we can actually compare with China, induction from 2018, P18 in development. There's a program of stealth FFG P17A which can match destroyers.
Are those universal VLS? Or single type launchers? Currently only China and the US produce universal systems. Japan and South Korea and other US allies have the same powerful Mark 41 system as the USN. If India developed one then it has passed the Russians who have only single-type launchers.
Sorry, I don't know.

Spectribution

Tihar Jail
Banned
The 052D program is like no other modern warship program in China or in Asia. The first of the type Kunming DDG-172 was only launched in 2012! Today, just four years later there are at least 13 spotted!

Currently in Shanghai, there are 4 052Ds representing 248 potential VLS being built concurrently.

There are three more in Dalian!
I dispute the no other claim Sejong the great and atago class of SK and Japan.

P15A has 48 VLS having 16 brahmos and 32 barak 8 which can theoretically stop a brahmos.

Spectribution

Tihar Jail
Banned

India uses UVLS in Brahmos, P 800 and Klub class missile systems. This was developed by L&T.

For Barak 8, it is a customised VLS system.

Only fault of P 15A is 76mm gun which is better suited for frigates and corvettes. With the new defence procurement policy of 2016 the 127/64 mm guns from oto melara will be finalised and this will reach P15B and P17A first followed by P15A and P17 ships.

The previous UPA government scuppered defence procurement to facilitate corruption. As a result procurements to be made 5 years ago are now finally being readied now. Case in point Rafale, s 400, M777, etc.

Spectribution

Tihar Jail
Banned
Type 52s are impressive but I don't think that the radar is in same league of AEGIS or even the ELTA radar on P15As
MF STAR AESA can track fighter jets at 250+ KM thus search range can be upto 400 KM. This is comparable to AEGIS AN/SPY - 1D.

New AMDR of USA will have X 6 range meaning 2400 KM search range.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

SexyChineseLady

I dispute the no other claim Sejong the great and atago class of SK and Japan.

P15A has 48 VLS having 16 brahmos and 32 barak 8 which can theoretically stop a brahmos.

I was speaking in terms of the program numbers and speed of deployment:

Atago -- two since 2004 launch (ended)
Sejong -- three since 2007 (3 more)
052D -- THIRTEEN (so far) since 2012 launch

Yes in terms of single ship firepower, the Sejong and Atago are even more powerful with 120 and 90 VLS respectively! But they are expensive, limited in numbers and will be matched by Type055.

China has very powerful neighbors who are racially similiar so this is sibling rivalry that will push China to advance faster and faster.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
@SexyChineseLady
Thanks for giving me other topic for research.
Yes, India seems to have developed Universal VLS. Built by Indian Private Company L&T, it can carry missiles side by side. But I can't say about where does it stand against American and Chinese systems.
Overtaking Russia was feeling good indeed but you were wrong, Russians also have their own UVLS. Which is advanced one, again I don't know.

SexyChineseLady

I believe the Russian system only launches different types of ASMs so can't be called an Universal VLS which like the Mark 41 and the 052D's can launch A2A, ASM and ASuM -- "above, on and below the surface."

SexyChineseLady

India uses UVLS in Brahmos, P 800 and Klub class missile systems. This was developed by L&T.
Okay those are all ASMs though Klub has ASuM variant. In that vein, it is the same as the Russian VLS so that is different from the Chinese description for universal launcher.

Amr

I agree that UVLS are a notable achievement, but the radar is the sight of a ship; if the range of 52's radar is not good even when it has tremendous firepower then in battle it will be like a strong man with poor vision, what will happen then you can guess yourself, methinks.

SexyChineseLady

I agree that UVLS are a notable achievement, but the radar is the sight of a ship; if the range of 52's radar is not good even when it has tremendous firepower then in battle it will be like a strong man with poor vision, what will happen then you can guess yourself, methinks.

I agree. But the Type 346 APAR on the 052D is a mature system that was wrung out on the 052C:

China has great confidence in this radar (and the UVLS) which is why they have built so many in just four years. Thirteen in 4 years is pretty much unprecedented in Asia for a capital ship.

The yearly Pentagon report on China had claimed that the "Red Aegis" (Type 346 APAR) has a range "in excess" of 400 km!

It could be just BS to get bigger budget from the US Congress but it could possibly be true as well.

No one will give the true range of these systems so unless there is war, we can't tell which radar is better. But we can judge confidence by the numbers built.

IndianHawk

Country flag
I agree. But the Type 346 APAR on the 052D is a mature system that was wrung out on the 052C:

China has great confidence in this radar (and the UVLS) which is why they have built so many in just four years. Thirteen in 4 years is pretty much unprecedented in Asia for a capital ship.

The yearly Pentagon report on China had claimed that the "Red Aegis" (Type 346 APAR) has a range "in excess" of 400 km!

It could be just BS to get bigger budget from the US Congress but it could possibly be true as well.

No one will give the true range of these systems so unless there is war, we can't tell which radar is better. But we can judge confidence by the numbers built.
I don't mean to troll but numbers have always been central to chinese military strategy. So confidence can't be gauged by numbers as for as china is concerned.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles