Chinese 'must swap chopsticks for knife and fork'

BlindArcher

one should stick to his own culture and traditions .. no way i believe westernization is superior to asian culture .
We are oldest colonies on earth/.

We dont need to copy them,

Learn good from them and adopt , but dont try to be them ..

Kishore032

The irony here is that US and Canada export significant amount of chopsticks to China and Japan.

money.cnn.com/2011/12/02/smallbusiness/georgia_chopsticks/

Tolaha

Using chopsticks is an art man! I see people using their chopsticks with so much ease and have been tempted to use them as well. A Chinese friend got down to get me my grip right, but after a number of attempts, we both agreed that I should stick to spoon and fork! :tsk:

Hopefully, the Chinese will continue to use chopsticks while finding a way to keep it environmentally sustainable.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Thanks to my natural flair & quick learning :D ,I use chopsticks very easily. My hosts in Taiwan always get surprised how easily I use them.

happy

I have all types of chopsticks to include inland ivory.

I prefer using chopsticks when partaking in the Chinese cuisine.

Surprisingly, I am yet to see metal chopsticks.
Good pic by @pmaitra. Metal chopsticks are there.....but I guess they would be too heavy for maneuvering easily. Also, it would be too mechanical. IMO, spoon / fork would be better than metal chopsticks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Free Karma

I think Metal chopsticks are quite common, I remember watching a some korean videos where the kids at a school all used metal chopsticks.

I've never really felt comfortable with knife/fork or chopsticks, hands are the awesomest way to eat for me!

Edit: also just realized someone ninja bumped this post lol, it's quite old.

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
The irony here is that US and Canada export significant amount of chopsticks to China and Japan.

money.cnn.com/2011/12/02/smallbusiness/georgia_chopsticks/
Lee decided to start the business when he heard that China has a moratorium on domestic tree cutting to protect its dwindling lumber resources. That moratorium has been in place since 1997, according to Taylor, forcing China to rely on its timber-rich neighbor Russia. But Russia has ramped up its timber export tax from 5% to 25%, forcing China to look elsewhere.
Chopsticks, made in the USA - Dec. 6, 2011

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Bamboo chopsticks are lighter and easier to handle.

I have never got used to the metal ones.

We also have ivory sets, but they are never used.

And interestingly, we also have 'trainer' chopsticks.

In my family, my grandson and I use chopsticks when eating Chinese food.

We also have ivory mahjohng set of my grandmother.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Tolaha

@Ray: hmm.. it looks easy, It always "looks" easy! :facepalm: Anyway, I think I got the theory after looking at the video, I can see a couple of the things where I was going wrong. Not to move the bottom stick and to hold it at 2/3 distance from the tip. Will try it next time, thank you!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Actually it looks difficult, but it is not that difficult.

A bit of practice at home and you will do it like as if you were born to chopsticks.

However, you cannot eat rice from a plate.

It is usually a bowl of rice and you add other food and then actually shove it in the mouth.

whiteness

Using this mentality, Indians should start using toilet paper too.
Different culture, different choices.
I find it funny how in person, 99.99% of racist people will probably get along with their so-hated enemies from different countries.

Tolaha

Using this mentality, Indians should start using toilet paper too.
Different culture, different choices.
I find it funny how in person, 99.99% of racist people will probably get along with their so-hated enemies from different countries.
The whitest among the white Australians has arrived! :yey: Please introduce yourself in the "Introduction and Greetings" thread!
And then, maybe explain why using chopsticks is racist!

whiteness

The whitest among the white Australians has arrived! :yey: Please introduce yourself in the "Introduction and Greetings" thread!
And then, maybe explain why using chopsticks is racist!
Can't post new threads.

Tolaha

I don't see any 'Create new thread' buttons or links anywhere.
You are not viewing this site on a mobile device I guess. The name of the button is '+Post new thread' and its in the top-left corner just above the logo that says "Forum: Introductions & Greetings"!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles