Chinese Jasmine Revolution Spreads Online

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
This is the latest:

Report on China's 'Jasmine Revolution'? Not if you want your visa.

China's crackdown on foreign journalists inside the country is part of a series of harsh measures seeking to ensure that popular movements aimed at overthrowing autocratic regimes in the Middle East do not spread to China.

By Peter Ford, Staff Writer / March 3, 2011
Beijing

The Chinese government is threatening foreign correspondents that their visas will be revoked if they continue to try to report on demonstrations held as part of a Chinese "Jasmine Revolution."

The move is the latest in a series of harsh measures authorities have taken recently, seeking to ensure that popular movements aimed at overthrowing autocratic regimes in the Middle East do not spread to China.

Over the past 10 days, scores of human rights activists and noted lawyers have been detained, disappeared, or put under house arrest, according to reports gathered by Human Rights in China, a New York based watchdog organization. The word "jasmine" has been censored from many websites.

The Chinese government "goes from moments of great confidence to moments when they seem scared of their own shadow," says Jeffrey Wasserstrom, a historian of China at the University of California. "This seems like one of those 'what are they thinking?' moments."
How much do you know about China? Take our quiz.

Dozens of foreign journalists who tried to cover putative demonstrations Sunday in central Beijing and downtown Shanghai have been summoned this week to interviews with the police, the Foreign Correspondents Club of China said Thursday in a warning to members.

The interviews have followed "a common theme" the FCCC said, after gathering multiple accounts. Reporters have been told that they have "broken Chinese regulations, officials know about it, and the journalist will face consequences if he or she does it again. Those consequences include being arrested or detained until the visa or work permit is canceled."

Such threats appear to mark a significant step back from the liberalized reporting regulations introduced four years ago, which specify that "to interview organizations or individuals in China, foreign journalists need only to obtain their prior consent."

Gallery: Egypt Protests

One foreign TV crew was told by the police that it now required prior official permission to film in any street in China.

Government officials insist that reporting rules have not changed, but journalists in Beijing were beaten up, manhandled, and detained for up to four hours last Sunday merely for being present at the site where Internet messages had suggested demonstrators might gather.

Anonymous activists, broadcasting their message from the "China Jasmine Revolution" website, have called on Chinese to "take a stroll" in city centers across the country on Sunday afternoons. The website is blocked inside China, however, and it is unclear how many people are aware of the calls.

Last Sunday, reporters were unable to identify any protesters among the crowds of uniformed and plain-clothes policemen who harassed them.

In a new statement Tuesday, the protest organizers claimed that "now China's government clearly shows its horror and fear of the people, as if facing a deadly enemy. A modest amount of people, just by walking, has demonstrated people's power, and the government's response has revealed its weakness to the world."

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia...-Jasmine-Revolution-Not-if-you-want-your-visa.
Could some Chinese poster who is currently in China, let us know the truth and what is happening?

Is this mere Western propaganda to keep the 'pot on the boil'?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
China adds new limits on foreigners

SHARON LAFRANIERE

Beijing, March 3: Apparently unnerved by an anonymous Internet campaign urging Chinese citizens to emulate protests that have rocked West Asia and North Africa, the authorities this week have launched a forceful and carefully targeted clampdown on activities by foreigners.

Public security officials have summoned dozens of foreign journalists in Beijing and Shanghai to be dressed down on videotape, warning them that they had broken reporting regulations by visiting locations that had been marked as protest sites in Internet postings.

Journalists were bluntly warned that they faced the loss of their visas and possible arrest if they did not abide by newly declared limitations on their ability to interview and photographs Chinese citizens, the Foreign Correspondents' Club of China said.

In Shanghai, the authorities objected to the locale of an annual St Patrick's Day parade set for March 12 that had been expected to draw more than 2,000 people, prompting Irish organisations to abruptly cancel the event on Monday. The parade was to have taken place on a major street close to a cinema where the postings had urged people to gather every Sunday to show their displeasure with the Chinese government.

Western diplomats in China said other events that were planned by or with foreigners had also been abruptly cancelled. "We've noticed that a somewhat larger number of our cultural and educational programmes around China are being postponed or cancelled, " said one diplomat, who spoke on condition of anonymity.
NEW YORK TIMES NEWS SERVICE
Link

Oracle

I don't know why....people of India is so love with China.......and pray for there freedom and democracy. First India should show the world that being a democratic country India had exceed China in all way such as Poverty elevation, Military, Economy, Sports , Influence around the world..........etc. But in every aspect India lag behind. May be due to there autocracy system China had fast emerged as Economic Power......Power fast and Freedom Later. India should show by achieving this things other wise world will laugh at you.
You still lack an introduction and surely going to banished land. If you can, please argue with facts. Do not rant & whine. For the time being, I'd request Mods to check your IP to make sure you are a Nepali Maoist or a 50 Cent Chinese Army poster. Good Day comrade!

no smoking

Country flag
There is no turmoil in China reported now a days.

Therefore, if there was a Jasmine Revolution (if indeed there was, which now it appears was an incorrect news or even western propaganda), then it has been crushed or it was never there in the first place and instead was some local disgruntlement blown out of proportion.
It is always funny to see an indian teaching chinese about revolution.

What India knows about revolution? Speech? Tea club? Non violance? Street parade? I am listening you talking about revolution, my feeling is as same as when you are listening me talking about a battle: totally bull shit!

In China, revolution means -- WAR! Taking up guns! voting with bullets! Blood shed, your side and your opposite side, in battle field and off battle field! After overthrowing government, there is no break, you have to continue fighting-the group doesn't agree with your political agenda.

Today, China or CCP has a lot of problems, but whether these problems were big enough to be worth a revolution is a question, and obiviously most people's answer is NO.

Last edited:

takeoff

Just curious why Indians always call a Chinese 50 cent or CCP member if his/her opinions other than Indian's? I don't see shyamranger's comments uncommon among Chinese after reading Chinese forums about Indians. I also don't know why Indians are interested in Jasmine Revolution in China? It helps Chinese poors? or enhance Chinese economy? or does anything good to China? Can any Indian give me some hints?

badguy2000

Respected Member
Just curious why Indians always call a Chinese 50 cent or CCP member if his/her opinions other than Indian's? I don't see shyamranger's comments uncommon among Chinese after reading Chinese forums about Indians. I also don't know why Indians are interested in Jasmine Revolution in China? It helps Chinese poors? or enhance Chinese economy? or does anything good to China? Can any Indian give me some hints?
it is because indians here find that india will have no chance to catch up with CHina on forseeable future, if no "revolution" or other accident were to break the status quo of CHina.

Most indians here love their country quite well, and naturely hope that india can have a better position in the front of CHina....so they of course wish that one "revelution" could happen to CHina and skew CHina......

as we know, Many CHinese also wish all day and all night that one revelution could skew USA....hahha

Last edited:

badguy2000

Respected Member
This is the latest:

Could some Chinese poster who is currently in China, let us know the truth and what is happening?

Is this mere Western propaganda to keep the 'pot on the boil'?

well, even the underwear of Lady GAGA can attract more attention of the public in CHina than "the Jasmine revolution " soo called.

AOE

No Smoking, you are missing the point here. Democratic or undemocratic, it is not what they really care, what they truely want is a chaotic China where they can fish.

You are right, a democratic and stable China won't lose her territory, but a weak China wrecked an Egypt or Lybia style "revolution" is definitely going to lose everything from land to economy. We know it, so do the Indians.

We all know how China conceded Outer Mongolia under the coercion of Russia, right? If China was plunged into a situation like Lybia is having now, India won't just sit tight and watch because it is going to be the perfect time for them to take a revenge against China and invade Tibet, even Xinjiang. We all know they are a bunch of expansionist.

Why do you think they are expecting a revolution in China, for a free and democratic expression of Chinese people's aspiration? Well, that is just a big joke!
The west does want a free and democratic China, it would be more than happy to develop friendly relations with such a country as opposed to a communist one that is aggressive and hostile towards its neighbors. The paranoia here of a revisit of a colonized China are over, and have been since a century ago. All of what you put forward is CCP nonsense, destined to keep an already corrupt and violent regime in power which does more harm to the Chinese people than a change in government would. Think outside the square and you will realize this.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I have lived long enough in China to know that things have to get far worse for Han to get up in open revolt than they are now. Average Chinese still think the sky is the limit as they do not understand that the property bubble has a ceiling. Once that pops, all bets are off.

SHASH2K2

well, even the underwear of Lady GAGA can attract more attention of the public in CHina than "the Jasmine revolution " soo called.
There are many similarities between you and lady gaga except gender . why dont you start making some extra money by selling your underwear . I am sure chinese people have great lust for underwear given you keep on buying or selling them from time to time . :D

AOE

Chinas autocracy is not to be credited with the advancement of the Chinese economy; foreign investment is the largest contributor here. I wish that the Chinese would drop this communist rhetoric dream and become a proper democracy and capitalist system. It wouldn't weaken China, and the world would see it in a more favorable light.

amoy

foreign investment is the largest contributor here.
tell us what criteria Foreign Investment adopts for choosing destinations

AOE

:confused: Okay? I'm not sure exactly what it is you're asking. China has been receiving billions in foreign investment since the 90s, and also is the largest trading partner with the US, EU, India, and many other growing or larger economies. If it wasn't for the economic reform, China would still be using a weak economy.

badguy2000

Respected Member
Chinas autocracy is not to be credited with the advancement of the Chinese economy; foreign investment is the largest contributor here. I wish that the Chinese would drop this communist rhetoric dream and become a proper democracy and capitalist system. It wouldn't weaken China, and the world would see it in a more favorable light.
well, you had better have a investigation of the role of foreign investment in CHina,before you post a wrong viewpoints that discredits youself .

BTW, the yearly FDI in CHina(2010) is a bit more than 100Billion USD, while the yearly total investment on fixed asset in CHina(2010) is more than 27.814 trillion RMB( about 4 trillion USD). that is mean, 100 billion USD FDI is only about 2.5-3% of China's total investment last year.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/hqcj/zgjj/2011-02-28/content_1886531.html
国家统计局今日发布的《2010年国民经济和社会发展统计公报》,公报显示,全年全社会固定资产投资278140亿元,比上年增长23.8%,扣除价格因素,实际增长19.5%。东部地区投资[6]115970亿元,比上年增长21.4%;中部地区投资62894亿元,增长26.2%;西部地区投资61875亿元,增长24.5%;东北地区投资30726亿元,增长29.5%

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
well, you had better have a investigation of the role of foreign investment in CHina,before you post a wrong viewpoints that discredits youself .

BTW, the yearly FDI in CHina(2010) is a bit more than 100Billion USD, while the yearly total investment on fixed asset in CHina(2010) is more than 27.814 trillion RMB( about 4 trillion USD). that is mean, 100 billion USD FDI is only about 2.5-3% of China's total investment last year.
FDI is what built China into the export powerhouse it is today. China would be less than India if it hadn't had that infusion of investment when it needed it most. The fact $4 trillion is pumped annually into fixed asset investment shows just how weak the Chinese economy really is.

jazzguy

No Smoking, you are missing the point here. Democratic or undemocratic, it is not what they really care, what they truely want is a chaotic China where they can fish.

You are right, a democratic and stable China won't lose her territory, but a weak China wrecked an Egypt or Lybia style "revolution" is definitely going to lose everything from land to economy. We know it, so do the Indians.

We all know how China conceded Outer Mongolia under the coercion of Russia, right? If China was plunged into a situation like Lybia is having now, India won't just sit tight and watch because it is going to be the perfect time for them to take a revenge against China and invade Tibet, even Xinjiang. We all know they are a bunch of expansionist.

Why do you think they are expecting a revolution in China, for a free and democratic expression of Chinese people's aspiration? Well, that is just a big joke!
We, India, are always a peaceful loving country and we never took any advantage of China even during its famine period between 1959 and 1961. Our embassy in Beijing gave us false information on PLA. We did not know that PLA were still good at fighting even though they did not have much food to feed.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
We, India, are always a peaceful loving country and we never took any advantage of China even during its famine period between 1959 and 1961. Our embassy in Beijing gave us false information on PLA. We did not know that PLA were still good at fighting even though they did not have much food to feed.
We, China, are always a warmongering country and we take advantage of any weakness. We faked a famine to make people think we are weak and invade the weak areas of India. We conquered them with glorious Chinese super soldiers while Indians starve in their holes. Who had famine?

no smoking

Country flag
The west does want a free and democratic China, it would be more than happy to develop friendly relations with such a country as opposed to a communist one that is aggressive and hostile towards its neighbors. The paranoia here of a revisit of a colonized China are over, and have been since a century ago. All of what you put forward is CCP nonsense, destined to keep an already corrupt and violent regime in power which does more harm to the Chinese people than a change in government would. Think outside the square and you will realize this.
Oh, really? What you mean "friendly relations"? What more the chinese people can get from this relationship?

What problem would disappear if China turns to democracy?

Would the west give more market to Chinese exportation?
Would the west remove their claim on so called chinese currency manipulation?
Would the west stop blaming that china's development has threatened their living standard?
Would China give up her claim on any disputed territory?
Would China make more compromise in any trade negotiation whle taking risk of damaging her own econmy?
Would China let Tibet or Xinjiang get independence?
Would China stop her military modernisation?
Noe of these would happen! So why would the west change your attitude if all these problem are still there?
Let's be honest, you and your western gov don't give a shit how Chinese suffered from their gov as the same as Iraqi suffering. All you care about is how chinese industrilaztion would threaten your employment and your children's life in the future. The only chance of get ride of this threat is that China turns to chaos. The only opportunity of this chaos is rapid democracy before China become a developed country.

So, why don't stop pretending to be a good guy. Let's go back into dirty international political game.

no smoking

Country flag
I have lived long enough in China to know that things have to get far worse for Han to get up in open revolt than they are now. Average Chinese still think the sky is the limit as they do not understand that the property bubble has a ceiling. Once that pops, all bets are off.
This really suprise me! After living long enough in China, it seems to me that you know nothing about average chinese life. It also get my attention that lots of your quote is from what--Echo, a newspaper could not get accepted by any overseas chinese community after more than 10 years.
I am laughing my ass off after reading any of your comment regarding China internal affairs.

jazzguy

This really suprise me! After living long enough in China, it seems to me that you know nothing about average chinese life. It also get my attention that lots of your quote is from what--Echo, a newspaper could not get accepted by any overseas chinese community after more than 10 years.
I am laughing my ass off after reading any of your comment regarding China internal affairs.

Based on my experience with Chinese, their minds are very limited by its dictator society. The whole country only knows one type of sports in the world.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles