Chinese infrastructure relevant to India

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
@Tshering22 You are looking it from a different perspective than I am & since you are from a "frontline" state, I'd like to know your opinions on a couple of things.
Please go ahead and ask.

I am happy to contribute here.

sthf

Country flag
@Tshering22

These may sound silly but I have to ask these questions. So thanks for doing it.

A) I'd like to have a better understanding of the terrain. How defensible is "Chicken's neck"? Does the terrain allow "maneuver warfare", if yes, then on what scale? What role do you think the vegetation will play?
B) What is your opinion of Sikkim Scouts, their training, role, motivation & if you are privy to, could you share some tid bit about them?
C) Do you think Tibetans will help out IA in next confrontation or will stay away & let IA- PLA duke it out?

captscooby81

Country flag
@Nanjesh Patel what you were asking about the deteails of chinese infrastructure in the TAR and near our LAC is very nicely explained with detailed videos with locations from images by our honourable Member @bennedose ..So no need to open one more thread follow this one ...

Indian Sniper.001

Country flag
@Nanjesh Patel what you were asking about the deteails of chinese infrastructure in the TAR and near our LAC is very nicely explained with detailed videos with locations from images by our honourable Member @bennedose ..So no need to open one more thread follow this one ...
Thank you, and just in case you didn't know 'Bennedose' is 'Dr Shiv'. I thought we can help him in the same.

bennedose

@bennedose How many roads are there that PLA can use to attack India?
And what is the terrain and can they send armored columns?
And what is the chances of air attack on forward posts and our main bases?
Where are the border points from which the Chinese can attack? There are 9 points where conflict could take place. I will list them and write some detail from what I have observed on GE. the points will be listed from East to West

1. Eastern tip of Arunachal - near Walong
2. West of Walong along the Yangtse (Siang river in India) valley
3. Tawang
4. Sikkim/DoKala
5. Uttaranchal - Barahoti plain
6. Himachal
7. Up north along the Indus river as it starts from China right up to Demchok in the Leh area
8. Pangong Lake area
9. Aksai Chin proper

Here the terrain on the Chinese side is rough and even rougher on the Indian side. No roads, only tracks. Narrow valleys. There was huge action here in 1962. But even for the Chinese - logistics here will be tough Pretty bad actually). It will be infantry or special forces - - could be diversionary and big to tie down Indian forces for something bigger further west

2, Siang river valley:
Not much of a Chinese presence here. The terrain is the worst for logistics. This area was mentioned by Claude Arpi with reference to a 3 km tunnel built by the Chinese through some seriously bad terrain that even to this day is not passable in all weathers along the Bowo-Medog/Metog road

3.Tawang
This is where the Chinese
  • 1. Have the strongest presence with the biggest military bases
    2. Have the shortest logistics lines via good roads to the mil HQs of Nyingchi and Lhasa -
    3. Hold the high ground overlooking Tawang.
A strong push here may have to mean that Indian forces fall back, ceding territory to the Chinese after which wear them down as their logistics gets bad when the come downhill

4. Sikkim/DoKala
We have discussed this continuously. We hold the high ground and need to batter down any Chinese aggression here

I have very little idea of Indian forces in this very very hostile terrain. There is a plateau at the top - the Barahoti plain - but although the Chinese have a presence (a camp) about 35 km away there roads are very bad through mountains and perma frost. The logistics lines for them by road are 200 km long - but the Ngari airfield is not too far off

6. Himachal
Cannot comment too much. There was hardly anything to make any video. Very long logistics for Chinese. Rough mountain roads and not a very heavy presence. Lost all my data in a disk crash while I was doing this area

7. Up north along the Indus river as it starts from China right up to Demchok in the Leh area
The Indus river starts somwhere along the region of Manasarovar and runs north along the China-India LAC past Himachal Pradesh and up towards Ladakh where it crosses into India en route to shitistan. If you locate the Ngari airfield - it is situated on the Indus river bed which consists only of a few rivulets. If you follow the Indus river bed towards India you will find a Chinese road extending all the way on the side. There are 5-6 military installations along that flat river bed. Some of them are so far from the actual LAC that it appears that they have a defensive purpose. they all have ditch/wall defences - so the Chinese may be expecting an Indian motorised advance along the Indus river bed. Finally this all ends near Demchok where Indian and Chinese positions are eye to eye. The village of Demchok has an Indian part and a Chinese part and a Chinese base is there in the Chinese part. but India too has a robust presence at Demchok

8. Pangong Lake area
The western 40% of Pangong is under Indian freedom. The rest is in Chinese jaws. They have 3-4 military sites along the lake but most significant is the town of Rutog just south of the Eastern end of Panging which has oil storage tanks and air conditioned military logistics/storage buildings. Rutog was a big military site even in 1962.. A short distance from Rutog along the G219 highway - is the town of Ngari - a major military town that covers for Ladakh, Aksai chin, Himachal and Uttarakhand. So this is an area where the Chnese could mount an assault and grab some territory to tie down forces while the main assault can come from say Tawang

9. Aksai Chin proper
Here the Chines presence is not large and their logistics lines are long. But they have plenty of space to set up camps and harrass and tie down forces. But IMO these attacks should be cleaned up using air power/helos. Aksai Chin is very high up and supplies must come from 1000s of km away

kmz of many of these:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3JNY4IY8u2bamlacjk4Y0wteDA

Video list of all these areas:

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
Where are the border points from which the Chinese can attack? There are 9 points where conflict could take place. I will list them and write some detail from what I have observed on GE. the points will be listed from East to West

2. West of Walong along the Yangtse (Siang river in India) valley
3. Tawang
4. Sikkim/DoKala
6. Himachal
8. Pangong Lake area
9. Aksai Chin proper

Here the terrain on the Chinese side is rough and even rougher on the Indian side. No roads, only tracks. Narrow valleys. There was huge action here in 1962. But even for the Chinese - logistics here will be tough Pretty bad actually). It will be infantry or special forces - - could be diversionary and big to tie down Indian forces for something bigger further west

2, Siang river valley:
Not much of a Chinese presence here. The terrain is the worst for logistics. This area was mentioned by Claude Arpi with reference to a 3 km tunnel built by the Chinese through some seriously bad terrain that even to this day is not passable in all weathers along the Bowo-Medog/Metog road

3.Tawang
This is where the Chinese
  • 1. Have the strongest presence with the biggest military bases
    2. Have the shortest logistics lines via good roads to the mil HQs of Nyingchi and Lhasa -
    3. Hold the high ground overlooking Tawang.
A strong push here may have to mean that Indian forces fall back, ceding territory to the Chinese after which wear them down as their logistics gets bad when the come downhill

4. Sikkim/DoKala
We have discussed this continuously. We hold the high ground and need to batter down any Chinese aggression here

I have very little idea of Indian forces in this very very hostile terrain. There is a plateau at the top - the Barahoti plain - but although the Chinese have a presence (a camp) about 35 km away there roads are very bad through mountains and perma frost. The logistics lines for them by road are 200 km long - but the Ngari airfield is not too far off

6. Himachal
Cannot comment too much. There was hardly anything to make any video. Very long logistics for Chinese. Rough mountain roads and not a very heavy presence. Lost all my data in a disk crash while I was doing this area

The Indus river starts somwhere along the region of Manasarovar and runs north along the China-India LAC past Himachal Pradesh and up towards Ladakh where it crosses into India en route to shitistan. If you locate the Ngari airfield - it is situated on the Indus river bed which consists only of a few rivulets. If you follow the Indus river bed towards India you will find a Chinese road extending all the way on the side. There are 5-6 military installations along that flat river bed. Some of them are so far from the actual LAC that it appears that they have a defensive purpose. they all have ditch/wall defences - so the Chinese may be expecting an Indian motorised advance along the Indus river bed. Finally this all ends near Demchok where Indian and Chinese positions are eye to eye. The village of Demchok has an Indian part and a Chinese part and a Chinese base is there in the Chinese part. but India too has a robust presence at Demchok

8. Pangong Lake area
The western 40% of Pangong is under Indian freedom. The rest is in Chinese jaws. They have 3-4 military sites along the lake but most significant is the town of Rutog just south of the Eastern end of Panging which has oil storage tanks and air conditioned military logistics/storage buildings. Rutog was a big military site even in 1962.. A short distance from Rutog along the G219 highway - is the town of Ngari - a major military town that covers for Ladakh, Aksai chin, Himachal and Uttarakhand. So this is an area where the Chnese could mount an assault and grab some territory to tie down forces while the main assault can come from say Tawang

9. Aksai Chin proper
Here the Chines presence is not large and their logistics lines are long. But they have plenty of space to set up camps and harrass and tie down forces. But IMO these attacks should be cleaned up using air power/helos. Aksai Chin is very high up and supplies must come from 1000s of km away

kmz of many of these:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3JNY4IY8u2bamlacjk4Y0wteDA

Video list of all these areas:
In simple terms how many places we have advantage and how many for chinkis.
May be chinkis can capture tawang but they will face test while crossing the river.
If we can take out the highway s-202 connecting chinese army for reinforcements,we can easily dominate them.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles