Chinese history and culture

mylegend

Master of the Sea,

If you don't know what is 'cooked barbarian' (shufan) and 'raw barbarian' (shengfan), then you are not a Chinese and if you are, you have apparently no idea of your culture and history or so it seems!

Or maybe it is so embarrassing that you wish to deflect to deny and bury it under the carpet.

My source?

They are many. You chose.

or

Read more from this and you will realise your own history and culture of which you indicate you are ignorant of!
Ray,you are being the ignorant one to claims you understand Chinese language more than the locals. 生(Sheng)means unfimilar as much as it mean raw, just like 熟(Shou) means familiar as much as cooked... Give you an example, 熟人 does not mean cooked human, it means person you familar with, Acquaintance, or friend. 生人 does not mean raw human, it means people you are not familiar with or stranger. A simple google translate you do you the job to figure out whether 生人, 熟人 is what I said what it mean.

Please, show some respect to other member as well when claiming your know more about the Chinese language then Chinese.... Show some respect, I do not claims that I know more about Hindu than you(I know non).

A character typically carries 2-5 meanings instead of 1 meaning. I begin to feeling strange about why someone can claims a word means something when he doesn't even speak the language.

Last edited:

no smoking

Country flag
The answer is simple.

Do you respect your parents?

Do they respect their parents?

And did their parents respect their parents?

If so, it is just a case of respecting their lineage and heritage!

Even the Muslim festival of Shab e Barat is organised in similar lines!

We all respect our parents and our heritage!

Call it a religious practice or a social obligation, it does not matter!
Well, far beyond that. It is not simply respect. It is your responsibiliity to the whole family, whole race and whole country.

In ancient china, ancestors were like god to everyone: they were the one bring you to this world; they were the one create all the wealths for you to enjoy before you can make your own living. Since you were borned, your name will be recorded in the family book along with all the things you did. On one hand, you have the responsibility to protect the wealth and honor created by your ancestors, on the other hand, you have responsibility to pass them to your children, at least completely.

One of most serious punishments to any ancient chinese is-remove your name from family book, which means you will not be allowed to be buried in your ancestral grave. You won't reunite with your anscestors and your soul will suffer a lot after being dead because no descendant will give sacrifice to you.

So, in general, ancestors are even higher than any god to chinese. We may dare say "kill the god who is in your way", but very few dare to make the joke of his or her ancestors.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Ray,you are being the ignorant one to claims you understand Chinese language more than the locals. 生(Sheng)means unfimilar as much as it mean raw, just like 熟(Shou) means familiar as much as cooked... Give you an example, 熟人 does not mean cooked human, it means person you familar with, Acquaintance, or friend. 生人 does not mean raw human, it means people you are not familiar with or stranger. A simple google translate you do you the job to figure out whether 生人, 熟人 is what I said what it mean.

Please, show some respect to other member as well when claiming your know more about the Chinese language then Chinese.... Show some respect, I do not claims that I know more about Hindu than you(I know non).

A character typically carries 2-5 meanings instead of 1 meaning. I begin to feeling strange about why someone can claims a word means something when he doesn't even speak the language.
Well, that just reminds me of a Chinese joke "为什么猪肉和土豆相互之间不说话?", "因为他们不熟".

Translation, Why don't the pork and the potatoes talk to each other? Because they are not cooked yet.

After spending so much time here, I think it is fair to say Ray is a cooked man to us.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
I love everything about China.

The country its people their culture the great food wonderful history their grit and determination just like us who are trying to over come oppression of poverty and i love the Chinese literature like Tao te Ching.

Everything except CCP and its payed henchmen trolls with their photoshop.

China would already be a developed nation like Taiwan, Japan, South Korea if not for CCP. Its beacuse of CCP and communism in North Korea they both suffered so much death and poverty. Its all a wasted of life and suffering now that they are following capitalism.

Last edited:

no smoking

Country flag
China would already be a developed nation like Taiwan, Japan, South Korea if not for CCP. Its beacuse of CCP and communism in North Korea they both suffered so much death and poverty. Its all a wasted of life and suffering now that they are following capitalism.
Well, obviously you have no idea what china was before CCP.
Whithout CCP, the best China could be is a bigger somalia. Yes, a place was full of war lords and famine. You may thinkg what happend in GLF or Cultural revolution were worst. I can sure you that is only a piece of cake if you compare it to what chinese suffered before 1949.

Yes, our parents and grand-parents got a lot of painful experience in the hand of CCP. But they did re-build this country, they did start industrilization in China, they did bring China into 21st century. Majority of Chinese still thanks them for that.

mylegend

Whithout CCP, the best China could be is a bigger somalia. Yes, a place was full of war lords and famine. You may thinkg what happend in GLF or Cultural revolution were worst. I can sure you that is only a piece of cake if you compare it to what chinese suffered before 1949.

Yes, our parents and grand-parents got a lot of painful experience in the hand of CCP. But they did re-build this country, they did start industrilization in China, they did bring China into 21st century. Majority of Chinese still thanks them for that.
You must be out of your mind, CCP ruin the country, end of story. Nationalist Party done much more to devolop the nation than CCP.

If landless peasant is what you are talking about, KMT's land reform in Taiwan is much more successful than CCP. They pass law that limit the maxium land ownership per family, then they forcefully buy all the land with cash from the Landlord, the land is being distributed to peasant, and the cost will be repay by state monopoly in Fertilizer and pesticide from 1950-1980s, The previously landlord use the cash to invest in industry because the land ownership limit. Industry flourish, land distributed, and no one being killed and no one starved.

CCP is just a pathetic creature that massacre 30 million Chinese during so call 3 years of natural disaster(Great Leap Forward). CCP should stay for some more years because many people are brainwashed by Maoism and keep threatening to kill all the rich on the online forum. They claims all the rich earn their cash illegally therefore should be killed or punish, wow, so out their mind, and no one deleted those post. CCP also promote 地方歧视,they want people to from one province to hate people from another province, the prove? simple, they never deleted those post compare to anti-CCP post. Those things they have done to split the country so they can remain in power.

China will be a great nation regardless of existence of CCP, without CCP, we will be a developed nation already. Wake up.

Don't you see something in the names of politburo(政治局)members? Most of them are descendent of the revolution, China under CCP is a land rule by CCP noble to its end of rule. The next president of China is a joke, also sons of revolutionary general. Wow, those Nobles want to rule this country forever, and you should not want to obey these forever right? Chinese people deserved better than eternal rule by party elite nobles.

We should all love our nation, but nation does not equal to our government. The government's revenue have been increasing for over 20% annually for the last 12 years, far outpacing the performance of economy, that is how much taxes campany have pay for the party elite. Another question, have you receive a dime of care from the government? None, the social security is not paid by government is paid by private companies, the company pay for 2/3, and workers pay for 1/3...

http://news.sohu.com/20110812/n316128730.shtml
This is the news about growth of Chinese government revenue, read it yourself to see if CCP is that great. They want to treat us like slave forever, and you obey?? Government do not gain loyalty of people by default, people pay taxes for social safety net, police protection and military that protect their interest, if the government fail to provide those, they should be consider of enemy of the people, people have every right to overthrown this unlawful government.

A dictatorship China ruin any possiblity of reunication of the country.

I love my nation and my identity, and I will defend it till my last breath, but CCP does not represent China, the culture and welfare of the nation is what represent China. I love China, but CCP is enemy the people and the country, the treaty they sign with Russian that give up claims vast land that belong to China for centuries are a disgrace, but yet, they do it. Because CCP is the enemy and traitor of our nation.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Mylegend and No Smoking.

I wonder if any reform in the world is painless or perfect.

As I see it, each dynasty including the KMT and CCP. have contributed to the destiny of China.

Some reforms have been harsh and brought misery at that time, but the aftermath has been progress.

So, one must look at it holistically.

amoy

Amazing pics. I've been Sanxingdui Museum in Sichuan and bought souvenirs - mini replicas of artifacts.

It was an eye opener when I saw huge elephants trunks since in times immemorial there were lots of elephants in Sichuan Basin.

BTW Shang Dynasty is said to be in ancient records only without any relics to prove its existence

Continue the Sanxingdui artifacts

Dragon

Bird

33*21*0.2

bronze man with gold mask
height45.6 width 22.4cm

mylegend

Amazing pics. I've been Sanxingdui Museum in Sichuan and bought souvenirs - mini replicas of artifacts.

It was an eye opener when I saw huge elephants trunks since in times immemorial there were lots of elephants in Sichuan Basin.

BTW Shang Dynasty is said to be in ancient records only without any relics to prove its existence
You mean Xia, in the last century, the existence of Shang was proven with oracle that is found that carries the same king's name as the record has suggested.

Last edited:

satish007

You must be out of your mind, CCP ruin the country, end of story. Nationalist Party done much more to devolop the nation than CCP.
AHA, Dude, you are from Taiwan, Why Taiwan partis don't will join mainland, CCP has promise that Taiwan such as Ma can take turn to manage China.
or you guys have to stay steer of CCP because you guys have cooperated many times, every times, CCP get more advantage.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag

What the hell are you blabbering about? What was the diffrence n life style with North Korea and South Korea before communism? This is a silly thing to say, you CCP stooges have no brains.

amoy

Ya, tks for correction, I messed up with Xia and Shang Dynasty.

The emblem of Chengdu 'Sun Bird' was from Sanxingdui relics (Pics below). When I travelled to the Museum in a remote town (Guanghan??) there was hardly any visitor. That was a lonely but exciting journey

You mean Xia, in the last century, the existence of Shang was proven with oracle that is found that carries the same king's name as the record has suggested.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ray

Iamanidiot

If I visit China the places that are on my must visit would be
1)The tomb of the first emperor
2)The Imperial city
3)The great wall of China
4)The national museum in Taiwan
5)The caves near Xianjang
6)The Pothala Palace

Any other suggestions

amoy

My remarks -

1)The tomb of the first emperor >> it shall be Terra Cotta Museum. the tomb is intact thus nothing to visit. Also suggest to visit Shaanxi Provincial Museum in the same city Xi'an as it's been capital of many ancient dynasties and Shaanxi is part of the birthplace of the civilisation. In Xi'an Hui (Muslim) living quarters are also famous for foods / snacks
2)The Imperial city
4)The national museum in Taiwan << it harbors lots of treasures from the Imperial City (Palaces in the Forbidden City, now also a museum in Beijing)
5)The caves near Xianjang << Xinjiang? Kashgar (South), Urumqi (North) are worth visiting too.
6)The Pothala Palace

I'd add Qingdao, Xiamen - Coastal cities; Chengdu / Chongqing - hubs of West China

If I visit China the places that are on my must visit would be
1)The tomb of the first emperor
2)The Imperial city
4)The national museum in Taiwan
5)The caves near Xianjang
6)The Pothala Palace

Any other suggestions

no smoking

Country flag

If landless peasant is what you are talking about, KMT's land reform in Taiwan is much more successful than CCP. They pass law that limit the maxium land ownership per family, then they forcefully buy all the land with cash from the Landlord, the land is being distributed to peasant, and the cost will be repay by state monopoly in Fertilizer and pesticide from 1950-1980s, The previously landlord use the cash to invest in industry because the land ownership limit. Industry flourish, land distributed, and no one being killed and no one starved.
Yes, all KMT's archievement happened in TAIWAN where most of its senior officers didn't own any big land. How come they didn't do the same thing in mainland because they were the biggiest landlords in mainland themselves!

CCP is just a pathetic creature that massacre 30 million Chinese during so call 3 years of natural disaster(Great Leap Forward). CCP should stay for some more years because many people are brainwashed by Maoism and keep threatening to kill all the rich on the online forum. They claims all the rich earn their cash illegally therefore should be killed or punish, wow, so out their mind, and no one deleted those post. CCP also promote 地方歧视,they want people to from one province to hate people from another province, the prove? simple, they never deleted those post compare to anti-CCP post. Those things they have done to split the country so they can remain in power.
Wow, CCP's corruption is something for sure. But accusing them "encouraging district discrimination" and "claims that all rich were criminal" is far out.

China will be a great nation regardless of existence of CCP, without CCP, we will be a developed nation already. Wake up.
How so, use who as your evidence? Taiwan? South Korea? Just tell me what is your development strategy.

We should all love our nation, but nation does not equal to our government. The government's revenue have been increasing for over 20% annually for the last 12 years, far outpacing the performance of economy, that is how much taxes campany have pay for the party elite. Another question, have you receive a dime of care from the government? None, the social security is not paid by government is paid by private companies, the company pay for 2/3, and workers pay for 1/3...
Well, I am living in Australia-a highly developed country , majority of my sociel security is coming from my employer and my own pocket. As a industrilizing country with a population of 1.4 billion, what china need now is building, producing. Without these railway, highway, steel factories, sweetshop, industrilization would be day-dream. And al these infrastructures don't come out from air. They require money, big money. The fact is that our industrilization is speeding up and our foreign debet doesn't increase significantly. So where do you think the money comes from?

I love my nation and my identity, and I will defend it till my last breath, but CCP does not represent China, the culture and welfare of the nation is what represent China. I love China, but CCP is enemy the people and the country, the treaty they sign with Russian that give up claims vast land that belong to China for centuries are a disgrace, but yet, they do it. Because CCP is the enemy and traitor of our nation.
I don't doubt your love towards China. You are entitled to hold your opinion. The difference between us is that you think there is a better way while I believe this is the best way.

mylegend

Wow, CCP's corruption is something for sure. But accusing them "encouraging district discrimination" and "claims that all rich were criminal" is far out.
How do you answer why they never deleted district discrimination post in news comment section? When they like to deleted many other comment? I did not say that communist party claims all rich were criminal, they just spread the ideology in the society to encourage people to think that way. In every news post about wealthy businessman, there comes the accusation that they earned their wealth illegally, many of them even have communist flag as their avatar and even post things like支持毛主席请点支持 on every single news. Often time they troll death of all revisionist, many of those people are paid propaganda screamer, don't tell me those people don't exist, from what I know, one of participant of 非诚勿扰 claims she is a 政府网管... That is the only explanation that I see their account activity with 7 days a week extreme communist comment posting during working hours, it is impossible for those thing to happen without being doing commenting as job.The propose is simple, to keep extreme communist mob continue to exist, with their existence, even I'm pro-stability because fears of mob rule, many pro-democratic middle class shares similar fear. They also promote district discrimination by promoting people like 孔庆东 that is pro-cultural revolution, pro district discrimination, calls Hong Kong resident as dog, create instability in society so people will continue to rely on CCP.

How so, use who as your evidence? Taiwan? South Korea? Just tell me what is your development strategy.
You do not need one other than the one right now, all you need is to start the reform in 1950 and continue it to now. By doing that, China is already a developed nation, given to low oil and resource price in the period, and China can aligned itself with United States since two country shares the same enemy: USSR. It is possible, Nixon make alliance with China in 1970s to counter USSR, and the honey continue till end of 1980s.

Well, I am living in Australia-a highly developed country , majority of my sociel security is coming from my employer and my own pocket. As a industrilizing country with a population of 1.4 billion, what china need now is building, producing. Without these railway, highway, steel factories, sweetshop, industrilization would be day-dream. And al these infrastructures don't come out from air. They require money, big money. The fact is that our industrilization is speeding up and our foreign debet doesn't increase significantly. So where do you think the money comes from?
Again, this is pathetic excuse, there is more than enough money they collected, most of highway are mostly profitable, they are among the most profitable company in the stock market. Steel factories should earn profit to sustain itself, just like the private one, but the government dislike private business owner, so they rip off profitable company like 日照钢铁 Rizhao steel group, At least 30% of infrastructure money is used to enrich the party leader's pocket, I have seen they torn down perfectly functional road 3 times in a year to rebuild it... For what? You must have seen the same thing in your life too. Right? With those corrupted money, people can get some minimum welfare with paying for it. Currently, firms and workers are the one paying social-security, not the state. You must know about 三公消费 too right? By many different estimate, it exceed 800 Billions RMB for bare minimum every year. The wealth of Former Premier Li Peng's family explain how CCP took away much of wealth from the people.

By the way, CCP almost done nothing to defend the nation against the Japanese. If you search about it, you will find Mao publicly praise Japanese invasion many times. If you do some more research, most of battle are conducted by KMT not CCP, CCP also kill off many Chinese Burma expedition soldiers just because they were part of KMT army that fought against Japan. Not until last 5 years, the CCP finally recognized KMT done most of job for the 8 years war against Japan Yourself admited that KMT have a one of most successful land reform in the.world history in Taiwan... We should really learn from the historic fact that CCP did not use the best reform method, and Mao is a clever military leader and politian but a awful economist and reformer.

Last edited:

redragon

Country flag
Hey my legend,
Could you please explain to me, since your conclusion is Chinese people along is enough to guarantee China to be a leading country in the world, then why same chinese people have diferent result in Qin dynasty, ROC period and PRC period?

mylegend

Hey my legend,
Could you please explain to me, since your conclusion is Chinese people along is enough to guarantee China to be a leading country in the world, then why same chinese people have diferent result in Qin dynasty, ROC period and PRC period?
ROC has years of decent growth before the invasion by Japanese and CCP. PRC is a misery until 1980. ROC is a devoloped economy, PRC is a developing economy..

Unless you love cultural revolution and great leap forward if you deem them as master piece policy. The fact is China wasted 30 years under Mao. That was the golden period with low oil and mineral price.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles