Chinese Culture and Society Megathread

Chandragupt Maurya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Very funny post far from reality.
Languags of nepal and Eastern Region of India are quite similar that’s why Hindi or Bhojpuri Movies have the upper hand in comparison to the Chinese movies but chinese movies are gaining popularity in the English Speaking Nepali population nepali students are learning Chinese as well many Nepali students have graduated from Chinese universities many are working in china as translator because most of the Chinese people can not speak English

Maharaj samudragupt

Kritant Parashu
Banned
Country flag
Languags of nepal and Eastern Region of India are quite similar that’s why Hindi or Bhojpuri Movies have the upper hand in comparison to the Chinese movies but chinese movies are gaining popularity in the English Speaking Nepali population nepali students are learning Chinese as well many Nepali students have graduated from Chinese universities many are working in china as translator because most of the Chinese people can not speak English
How to counter my dear secret agent

SexyChineseLady

These are the top 20 non-English films in box grosses (15 Chinese, 3 Japanese, one French and one Aramaic.)

RankEnglish title[note 1]Original titlePrimary
language(s)
[note 2]
Country
of origin
Worldwide
gross (in US$)
YearRef
1Wolf Warrior 2战狼2Mandarin[17][18][19]China$870 million2017[20]
2Hi, Mom你好,李焕英MandarinChina$822 million2021[21]
3The Battle at Lake Changjin
film currently playing
长津湖MandarinChina$772 million2021[22]
4Ne Zha哪吒之魔童降世MandarinChina$743 million2019[23]
5The Wandering Earth流浪地球MandarinChina$699 million2019[24]
6Detective Chinatown 3唐人街探案3MandarinChina$686 million2021[25]
7The Passion of the ChristThe Passion of the ChristUnited States$612 million2004[26]
8Operation Red Sea红海行动MandarinChina$579 million2018[27]
9The Mermaid美人鱼Mandarin
  • China
  • Hong Kong
$553 million2016[28]
10Detective Chinatown 2唐人街探案2MandarinChina$544 million2018[29]
11Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba the Movie: Mugen Train
film currently playing
劇場版「鬼滅の刃」 無限列車編JapaneseJapan$503 million2020[30]
12The Eight Hundred八佰MandarinChina$450 million2020[31]
13Dying to Survive我不是药神MandarinChina$451 million2018[32]
14My People, My Country我和我的祖国MandarinChina$450 million2019[33]
15The IntouchablesIntouchablesFrenchFrance$427 million2011[34]
16My People, My Homeland我和我的家乡MandarinChina$422 million2020[35]
17The Captain中国机长MandarinChina$417 million2019[36]
18Spirited Away千と千尋の神隠しJapaneseJapan$395 million2001[ref 1][42]
19Monster Hunt捉妖記Mandarin
  • China
  • Hong Kong
$387 million2015[43]
20Your Name君の名は。JapaneseJapan$380 million2016[42][44]

Last edited:

SexyChineseLady

Hollywood is absent in india , Pakistan , Nepal , Bangladesh South Asia is entirely dominated by indian film industry
But unfortunately that market is so small that Hollywood doesn't really bother trying. There is no Indian film even in the top 20 non-English box office grosses. If you include all films, Hollywood plus world, there are no Indian films in the top 200 (even China only has 9.)

So dominating South Asia provides the Indian industry with very little income compared to other places.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Without China (and Japan to a small extent) the global movie industry would be completely dominated by Hollywood.
LOL. Says the country that regulates the number of foreign movies that would play in your own multiplexes. Typical small d!ck syndrome. Only reason Chinese cinema earns as much as it does is because CCP limits the number of foreign movies that can be shown per year in Chinese theaters to just 34. Nobody watches Chinese movies or entertainment content outside of China WuMao.

This guy says "Japan to a small extent". Your entire entertainment industry combined can't achieve what a few of the top Japanese Anime can achieve alone, in terms of influencing global culture. These days Chinese entertainment industry is trying to enter the manga space, but most manga readers don't even give a second look to manhuas. And you write "Japan to a small extent".

SexyChineseLady

LOL. Says the country that regulates the number of foreign movies that would play in your own multiplexes. Typical small d!ck syndrome. Only reason Chinese cinema earns as much as it does is because CCP limits the number of foreign movies that can be shown per year in Chinese theaters to just 34. Nobody watches Chinese movies or entertainment content outside of China WuMao.

This guy says "Japan to a small extent". Your entire entertainment industry combined can't achieve what a few of the top Japanese Anime can achieve alone, in terms of influencing global culture. These days Chinese entertainment industry is trying to enter the manga space, but most manga readers don't even give a second look to manhuas. And you write "Japan to a small extent".

Lol. The records literally show only 3 Japanese films to 15 Chinese ones in top grossing non-English titles.

China limits Hollywood or India limits Hollywood? China generates between 10 to 20 times more revenue per Hollywood blockbusters than India :)

And there are hardly 30 major Hollywood blockbusters in any given year ;)

Avengers: Endgame

Grosses:
China -- $629,100,298
India -- $62,678,476

King Kong vs Godzilla

Grosses:
China -- $188,700,000
India -- $8,900,000

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Lol. The records literally show only 3 Japanese films to 15 Chinese ones in top grossing non-English titles.

China limits Hollywood or India limits Hollywood? China generates between 10 to 20 times more revenue per Hollywood blockbusters than India :)

And there are hardly 30 major Hollywood blockbusters in any given year ;)

Avengers: Endgame

Grosses:
China -- $629,100,298
India -- $62,678,476

King Kong vs Godzilla

Grosses:
China -- $188,700,000
India -- $8,900,000
Pathetic moneyminded WuMao. Value of entertainment industry is not judged by Box Office revenues. Its meant to be an instrument of Soft Power. Chinese film industry earns that much revenue because almost all of its revenue comes from a market that DOES NOT ALLOW COMPETITION. This market is the Chinese market, where only 34 foreign films are allowed per year. Remove that restriction and you'll see the Chinese film industry revenue drop off a cliff. Chinese people have more cinemas and more money to spend than Indians because China is around 15-20 years ahead of India in economic development. And India doesn't impose limits on number of foreign films that can be showcased. Chinese people don't have the choice to watch a foreign or Chinese movie. They can only watch Chinese movies. Given a choice, they might prefer foreign movies more. So when you say Hollywood movies earn more in China, I say no $hit Sherlock. When given a choice, most Chinese would rather watch Hollywood flicks.
India limits Hollywood? Give me one regulation that India employs to do that.

SexyChineseLady

Pathetic moneyminded WuMao. Value of entertainment industry is not judged by Box Office revenues. Its meant to be an instrument of Soft Power. Chinese film industry earns that much revenue because almost all of its revenue comes from a market that DOES NOT ALLOW COMPETITION. This market is the Chinese market, where only 34 foreign films are allowed per year. Remove that restriction and you'll see the Chinese film industry revenue drop off a cliff. Chinese people have more cinemas and more money to spend than Indians because China is around 15-20 years ahead of India in economic development. And India doesn't impose limits on number of foreign films that can be showcased. Chinese people don't have the choice to watch a foreign or Chinese movie. They can only watch Chinese movies. Given a choice, they might prefer foreign movies more. So when you say Hollywood movies earn more in China, I say no $hit Sherlock. When given a choice, most Chinese would rather watch Hollywood flicks.
India limits Hollywood? Give me one regulation that India employs to do that.

If Chinese market does not allow competition then why Avengers make $620M in China? Or King Kong vs Godzilla makes $188M?

You are too funny.

How come grosses in India are so low? Is India extremely poor? Maybe that is an excuse because Indian films themselves cannot generate enough revenue to reach any of the charts.

So film industry is just soft power? Then why Hollywood dominate the global grosses? Why bother with money? BTW, according to Americans Hollywood panders to China. Isn't that exerting soft power on the soft power king?

Chinese people are moneyminded. It is true. It is better than ideology driven people who care about "soft" power because you cannot eat that stuff :)

North Korea is not moneyminded. They are ideological like you. They are very poor. Maybe that is why Indian box office is so low? You are ideological like North Koreans?

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
If Chinese market does not allow competition then why Avengers make $620M in China? Or King Kong vs Godzilla makes $188M?

You are too funny.

How come grosses in India are so low? Is India extremely poor? Maybe that is an excuse because Indian films themselves cannot generate enough revenue to reach any of the charts.

So film industry is just soft power? Then why Hollywood dominate the global grosses? Why bother with money? BTW, according to Americans Hollywood panders to China. Isn't that exerting soft power on the soft power king?

Chinese people are moneyminded. It is true. It is better than ideology driven people who care about "soft" power because you cannot eat that stuff :)

North Korea is not moneyminded. They are ideological like you. They are very poor. Maybe that is why Indian box office is so low? You are ideological like North Koreans?
  • All this nonsense you write but still no counter to my main point: China only allows 34 foreign films to theaters per year. India has no such limit. Who is afraid of the competition as per this fact?
  • Hollywood panders to China not because of Soft Power but because of Chinese Government's experience with corruption and using it as a means to buy off important people.
  • Heights of irony: When ideologues that use hard power to exert influence and have grand, imperial ambitions accuse those who believe in exerting soft power.
  • First you give point that China has more soft power than India because Hollywood panders to China. Then you say only ideologues like North Korea use Soft Power. How confused are you WuMao? At this point your rant is not even self-consistent. Don't reply again unless you can be self-consistent. Rants will be ignored henceforth.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag

You are too funny.

As for USA being "soft power king", I LOL at that. USA should learn how to wield soft power from the Japanese. The Japanese butchered so many Chinese during World War 2. Yet today, all Japan is known as is a victim of nuclear aggression, source of Anime and a strong economy that helps developing world grow.

rockdog

Country flag
  • All this nonsense you write but still no counter to my main point: China only allows 34 foreign films to theaters per year. India has no such limit. Who is afraid of the competition as per this fact?
  • Hollywood panders to China not because of Soft Power but because of Chinese Government's experience with corruption and using it as a means to buy off important people.
  • Heights of irony: When ideologues that use hard power to exert influence and have grand, imperial ambitions accuse those who believe in exerting soft power.
  • First you give point that China has more soft power than India because Hollywood panders to China. Then you say only ideologues like North Korea use Soft Power. How confused are you WuMao? At this point your rant is not even self-consistent. Don't reply again unless you can be self-consistent. Rants will be ignored henceforth.
The reality is much more complicated than simple lines of claim like you. If you only define thing like political or business, right or wrong, you are so naive. You would read full article below:

Universal Studios’ new Beijing theme park shows Hollywood’s bet on China is paying off

Weeks before Universal Studios opened its long anticipated theme park in Beijing, it became clear that US-China tensions wouldn’t dampen its welcome.

Invitations to the park’s sneak peek on Sept. 1 quickly became a status symbol, with influencers who posted photos of themselves in Harry Potter gear at the park’s Hogwarts Castle prompting a slew of envious comments on social media platform Weibo. Then last week, $99 tickets to visit Universal Beijing Resort on its opening day today (Sept. 20), sold out within a minute of becoming available on Trip.com, one of China’s largest travel sites. Meanwhile Alibaba-backed travel site Fliggy sold 100,000 tickets within half an hour, while rooms at one of the park’s two hotels, some of which cost $3,000 per night, were also booked out as fast.

... ...

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Universal Studios’ new Beijing theme park shows Hollywood’s bet on China is paying off

Weeks before Universal Studios opened its long anticipated theme park in Beijing, it became clear that US-China tensions wouldn’t dampen its welcome.

Invitations to the park’s sneak peek on Sept. 1 quickly became a status symbol, with influencers who posted photos of themselves in Harry Potter gear at the park’s Hogwarts Castle prompting a slew of envious comments on social media platform Weibo. Then last week, $99 tickets to visit Universal Beijing Resort on its opening day today (Sept. 20), sold out within a minute of becoming available on Trip.com, one of China’s largest travel sites. Meanwhile Alibaba-backed travel site Fliggy sold 100,000 tickets within half an hour, while rooms at one of the park’s two hotels, some of which cost $3,000 per night, were also booked out as fast.

... ...
All this stupid comment of yours tells me is that Chinese people like Hollywood.
You too @rockdog . Unless you can answer my main point, don't bother replying. I'll simply ignore your nonsense unless you explain to me that while China limits number of foreign movies to just 34 per year, India doesn't have this limit. So who is afraid of the competition?

rockdog

Country flag
All this stupid comment of yours tells me is that Chinese people like Hollywood.
You too @rockdog . Unless you can answer my main point, don't bother replying. I'll simply ignore your nonsense unless you explain to me that while China limits number of foreign movies to just 34 per year, India doesn't have this limit. So who is afraid of the competition?
OK, i normally don't waste time if your reply contains strong words, but still let me elaboration since i notice you lack of some basic knowledge, i don't debate with people lack of knowledge but i like to educate them:

The limitation of forgeign movie, especially the hollywood movie, was the bargain term for China entering WTO, the negocitation happened in 1998 between China & USA, opening the market of movie, automobile, telecom, finance were the key requirements from USA.

Those areas were the key need to be protected during the deal, and USA reconginzed this kind of protection. General speaking, limitation to imported movies were the deal with USA under WTO, it's perfectly under the regulation.

These are lots of articles taling about no. of movies were the key cards for last around of negocitaion.

Every developing nation has certain previlige under international regulation, just like Chinese movie industry or India's replica pharm industry, nothing strange.

Again, feel sad about your knowledge base.

SexyChineseLady

I'm sorry but it is delusional to think China does not allow competition when it allows a movie with Captain America in it to gross $620M and one with King Kong to gross nearly $200M!

Chinese movies can gross $800M even when Chinese film goers are shelling out hundreds of millions on the competition.

Both Hollywood and local films make far less in India. Poverty is a hallmark of ideological radicalism, you know. Like North Korea ;)

Tang

Country flag
I'm sorry but it is delusional to think China does not allow competition when it allows a movie with Captain America in it to gross $620M and one with King Kong to gross nearly $200M!

Chinese movies can gross $800M even when Chinese film goers are shelling out hundreds of millions on the competition.

Both Hollywood and local films make far less in India. Poverty is a hallmark of ideological radicalism, you know. Like North Korea ;)
But why would Hollywood and local films need to make more in India?
Looks like Chinese are poor in brain power and logical thinking, let me explain it to you in a dumb way. 😉

Who would watch a movie, mostly Adults right.
Now, what is the adult/workforce population of India and China?
For India - 500 million
China - 1 billion approx.

So why would box office collection be greater for India, meanwhile India's Bollywood is far far more famous and impactful around the world wrt Chinese movie industry ask people around the world.
You guys need to work hard.

Tang

Country flag
But why would Hollywood and local films need to make more in India?
Looks like Chinese are poor in brain power and logical thinking, let me explain it to you in a dumb way. 😉

Who would watch a movie, mostly Adults right.
Now, what is the adult/workforce population of India and China?
For India - 500 million
China - 1 billion approx.

So why would box office collection be greater for India, meanwhile India's Bollywood is far far more famous and impactful around the world wrt Chinese movie industry ask people around the world.
You guys need to work hard.
BTW I liked this chinese movie - Monster Hunt

Good one, suggest something like that.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles