Chinese Culture and Society Megathread

rockdog

Country flag
There are cases where Chinese companies had patented the exact software they stole from Canadian company and they even did not change the company name in the code in form of logs.
Like while coding, developers add various variable names based on their own name or company name many times and leaves them like that in final version too.
The chinese company patented the software (It is a driver used in 5G network of chinese company) and they did not even look inside the code and the code still had original company name in the log all around the code.
Innovation Ranking 2019 - fueled by Advanced Patent Analytics

21 Chinese companiese among top 100.

rockdog

Country flag
If you don't mind How much did you make in real estate in percentage term?

Here in India property rate are almost stagnated after Demonitisation.(atleast in NCR)
From 2007, i started investing on real estate and i think for my 3 houses, i thinnk they are 280% on average than my original pricing.

I started debating with Indian members on IDF/DFI from 2004, they kept on telling me the bad debt, the economic slow down, demographic crisis were killing China's enomony, and i never bought it.

Villager

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I like zhongguo's rich tourists.

Is it true that in China, outsiders are described as barbaric people but outside of China they don't seem much civilised themselves? I hope the Indians don't do that. We got a little less money so hopefully we don't.

This one is my favorite where a @SexyChineseLady throws hot noodles on flight attendants face for not getting a seat beside her boyfriend and boyfriend threatens to blow up the plane. The stewardess covering her face and screaming in pain.

Villager

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Again I don't know if it happens in India too but it is a sad aspect of class difference between rich and poor. I have massive respect for construction workers, cleaners and all such people with low wages who make massive difference in nation's progress but may not be recognised or respected as such.

Villager

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Over 1,000 relics unearthed at the Sanxingdui Ruins

A gold mask discovered this year has been linked to ancient sacrificial ceremonies
A trove of ivory and bronze artefacts used in sacrificial ceremonies 3,000 years ago could reshape the understanding of early Chinese civilisation.

Archaeologists on a site in the southwest province of Sichuan believe that newly-found treasures linked to the bronze age society of Sanxingdui, appear to have confirmed that it was distinct from those in the central plains, long considered to be the origin of the region’s development.

Archeologists have unearthed more than 1,000 significant relics at the six new sacrificial pits of the legendary Sanxingdui Ruins site in southwest China.

The excavation of the No.3 to No.8 sacrificial pits, which began in the second half of last year, is progressing smoothly, said Tang Fei, chief of the Sichuan Provincial Cultural Relics and Archaeology Research Institute.

Relics in the No.3 pit are mainly bronzewares and ivories, both of which have exceeded 100 pieces. Among the bronzewares, such as trees and large masks, a bronze figure with a square altar-shaped bronzeware held up in his hands has never been seen before. Jade and stone tools and gold and seashells were also found in the pit.

Also from the No.3 pit revealed an extremely rare bronze ware of 115 cm high, with its lower part a bronze figurine with clasping hands in front of the body and its head topped with a square plate. Attached to the plate is a rectangular bronzeware with exquisite dragon decorations.

The No.4 pit has a large number of relics. So far, archeologists have unearthed 534 pieces, including ivories, gold, jade, stone, bronze, potteries, bones, textiles, and lacquerwares. From the pit, residues of silk were unearthed for the first time at Sanxingdui. Archeologists also found plants, such as bamboos.

The No.5 pit saw tiny artifacts such as various fragments and beads. There are many round perforated gold pieces buried in this pit, which are probably clothes decorations. So far, 146 pieces of relics have been unearthed, including gold masks and bird-shaped gold ornaments.

A well-preserved wooden box with cinnabar coated on the inside was found in the No.6 pit, which was the first of its kind at Sanxingdui.

From the No.7 pit, which has just been excavated to the relic layer, ten ivories have been exposed.

The No.8 pit mainly saw bronzewares, jade, gold foils, and stone tools. Larger bronzewares were mostly broken consciously, and the fragments were mainly from bronze trees. There were also many gold foils scattered in the ashes, some of which were identified as golden leaves. Pieces of textiles that were not completely burned were also found on some bronze fragments.

The Sanxingdui Ruins are dubbed one of the greatest archeological finds of mankind in the 20th century. The site was accidentally discovered by a farmer when he was digging a ditch in the 1920s.

Covering 12 square km, the ruins are in the city of Guanghan in Sichuan Province, about 60 km from Chengdu, the provincial capital, and are believed to be the remnants of the Shu Kingdom, dating back at least 4,800 years and lasting over 2,000 years.

In 1986, 1,720 unique relics were unearthed in the No.1 and No.2 pits, arousing global interest. In October 2019, archaeologists discovered six new sacrificial pits while investigating the area where the No.1 and No.2 pits are located

johnq

The Cultural Revolution damaged China's economy and traditional culture, with an estimated death toll ranging from hundreds of thousands to 20 million.[1][2][3][4][5][6] Beginning with the Red August of Beijing, massacres took place across mainland China, including the Guangxi Massacre, in which massive cannibalism also occurred;[7][8] the Inner Mongolia incident; the Guangdong Massacre; the Yunnan Massacres; and the Hunan Massacres. Red Guards destroyed historical relics and artifacts, as well as ransacking cultural and religious sites. The 1975 Banqiao Dam failure, one of the world's greatest technological catastrophes, also occurred during the Cultural Revolution. Meanwhile, tens of millions of people were persecuted: senior officials, most notably Chinese president Liu Shaoqi, along with Deng Xiaoping, Peng Dehuai, and He Long, were purged or exiled; millions were accused of being members of the Five Black Categories, suffering public humiliation, imprisonment, torture, hard labor, seizure of property, and sometimes execution or harassment into suicide; intellectuals were considered the "Stinking Old Ninth" and were widely persecuted—notable scholars and scientists such as Lao She, Fu Lei, Yao Tongbin, and Zhao Jiuzhang were killed or committed suicide. Schools and universities were closed with the college entrance exams cancelled. Over 10 million urban intellectual youths were sent to the countryside in the Down to the Countryside Movement.
The Guangxi Massacre (simplified Chinese: 广西大屠杀; traditional Chinese: 廣西大屠殺; pinyin: Guǎngxī Dàtúshā), or Guangxi Cultural Revolution Massacre (广西文革大屠杀; 廣西文革大屠殺; Guǎngxī Wéngé Dàtúshā), was a series of events involving lynching and direct massacre in Guangxi during the Cultural Revolution (1966–1976).[1][2][3][4][5] The official record shows an estimated death toll from 100,000 to 150,000.[1][4] Methods of slaughter included beheading, beating, live burial, stoning, drowning, boiling and disemboweling.[1][6] In certain areas including Wuxuan County and Wuming District, massive human cannibalism occurred even though no famine existed; according to public records available, at least 137 people—perhaps hundreds more—were eaten by others and at least thousands of people participated in the cannibalism.[1][2][3][4][5][7][8] Other researchers have pointed out that 421 victims who could be identified by names were eaten, and there were reports of cannibalism across dozens of counties in Guangxi.[4][7][9]
After the Cultural Revolution, people who were involved in the massacre or cannibalism received minor punishments during the "Boluan Fanzheng" period; in Wuxuan County where at least 38 people were eaten, fifteen participants were prosecuted, receiving up to 14 years in prison, while ninety-one members of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) were expelled from the party and thirty-nine non-party officials were either demoted or had a salary cut.[1][3][5][6][10] Although the cannibalism was sponsored by local offices of the Communist Party and militia, no direct evidence suggests that anyone in the national Communist Party leadership including Mao Zedong endorsed the cannibalism or even knew of it.[5][7][10] However, some scholar has pointed out that Wuxuan County, through internal channel, had notified the central leadership about the cannibalism in 1968.[9]
Methods of killing
In the massacre, methods of slaughter included "beheading, beating, live burial, stoning, drowning, boiling, group slaughters, disemboweling, digging out hearts, livers, genitals, slicing off flesh, blowing up with dynamite, and more".[1][6]

• In one case, according to official records, a person was bound to dynamites on the back and was blown up into pieces by other people—just for fun.[1]
  • In another case of 1968, "a geography instructor named Wu Shufang (吴树芳) was beaten to death by students at Wuxuan Middle School. Her body was carried to the flat stones of the Qian River where another teacher was forced at gunpoint to rip out the heart and liver. Back at the school the pupils barbecued and consumed the organs."[6][9]
Human cannibalism occurred in Guangxi during the Cultural Revolution. According to Zheng Yi (郑义), a scholar who conducted detailed research on the topic in the late 1980s and later smuggled some copies of official documents to the United States, at least 137 people—perhaps hundreds more—were eaten by others and thousands of people participated in the cannibalism.[1][2][3][4][5][7] Documents also record a variety of forms of cannibalism, including eating people as an after-dinner snack, slicing off the meat in big parties, dividing up the flesh so each person could take a large chunk home, barbecuing or roasting the liver, and so on.[5][9][10]

According to Yan Lebin (晏乐斌), a member of the Ministry of Public Security who joined both of the investigation groups:[1]

In 1968, 38 people in Wuxuan County were eaten, and 113 officials of the county participated in eating human flesh, hearts and livers. Chen Guorong (陈国荣), a peasant from Guigang County who happened to pass by Wuxuan, was caught and killed by local militia because he was fat; his heart and liver were taken out while his flesh was distributed to 20 people. A female militia leader ate 6 human livers in total, and cut the genitals of 5 men and soaked them in alcohol which she would drink later, claiming that these organs were beneficial to her health. The behavior of eating human flesh, hearts and livers occurred in many counties of Guangxi including Wuxuan, Wuming, Shangsi, Guigang, Qinzhou, Guiping, and Lingyun ... After the revolutionary committee was established in Shangsi County, a "killing conference" was held at Pingshan Square (平山广场) on September 1, 1968, during which more than 10 officials and civilians were beaten to death. After the conference, a committee member, Li Hao (黎郝), removed the hearts and livers from the corpses, sauteing them and preparing them as dishes for other representatives who attended the conference.
According to Song Yongyi, a Chinese historian who works at the California State University, Los Angeles:[2][4][7][12]

Massive cannibalism

Independent researchers in Guangxi counted a total of 421 people who were eaten. There were reports of cannibalism across 27 counties in Guangxi; that's two-thirds of all the counties in Guangxi. There was one man who was said to be in the so-called fifth category, who was beaten to death where he stood. He had two kids, one of 11 and one of 14. The local officials and armed militia said that it was important to eradicate such people, and so they not only killed those two children: they ate them too. This took place in Pubei county, Guangxi, where 35 people were killed and eaten in total. Most of them were rich landowners and their families. There was one landowner called Liu Zhengjian whose entire family was wiped out. He had a 17-year-old daughter, Liu Xiulan, who was gang-raped by nine people [for 19 times] who then ripped open her belly, and ate her liver and breasts. There were so many incidents like this.
According to Frank Dikötter, Chair Professor of Humanities at the University of Hong Kong, Senior Fellow at Hoover Institution of Stanford, and winner of the 2011 Samuel Johnson Prize:[13]

Throughout 1967 but also '68, there are factions in the countryside that start not just eliminating each other physically, but literally in a couple of small towns they start ritualistically eating each other. In other words, it is not enough to eliminate your class enemy. You have to eat his heart, so there are very well-documented cases of ritual cannibalism.[14]
There was a hierarchy in the consumption of class enemies. Leaders feasted on the heart and liver, mixed with pork, while ordinary villagers were allowed only to peck at the victims’ arms and thighs.[15]

rockdog

Country flag

Originated from Chinese people’s ancestor worship activity on the lucky Flying Dragon Day, which is the 5th day in May on lunar calendar, 端午节 (Dragon Boat Festival), along with Spring Festival (Chinese New Year), Tomb Sweeping Day and Mid-autumn Festival, is one of the most celebrated traditional Chinese holidays. It later evolved into a holiday when we celebrate Qu Yuan, a patriotic poet living in the Warring States period (475-221 B.C.) who committed suicide by drowning himself in Miluo River. Of all traditional Chinese holidays, 端午节 (Dragon Boat Festival) is the one with the most names. Besides Dragon Boat Festival, it is also called重午节、端阳节、端五节、重五节 etc. Besides Dragon Boat Competitions, flying kites, hanging acorus calamus L. on the front door, making perfume satchels and water-caltrop-shaped decorations etc. are also popular activities during this holiday. Typical holiday food include 粽子 (Zong Zi) which comes in different shapes and sizes and with various flavors, salty preserved duck eggs, mung bean cakes etc. 雄黄酒 (Realgar wine) also plays an important part in holiday celebration. It is the beverage that revealed Bai Su Zhen’s true identity to her husband in Chinese myth 白蛇传 (Myth of the White Snake Fairy). In celebration of 端午节 2021 and inspired by the murals of Dunhuang, Gansu Province, Henan TV station choreographed an underwater dance featuring 洛神 (Luo Shen). As the goddess of Luo River, 洛神 is the incarnation of ideal Chinese beauty. She is originally called 宓妃 (Fufei) in Qu Yuan’s masterpiece of 天问 (Tian Wen, Quest for Heavenly Truth). BTW, Tianwen-1 is China's first Mars mission. Of all later literary works that eulogize 洛神including 上林赋 (Shanglin Fu) by 司马相如 (Sima Xiangru) in Xi Han Dynasty (206 B.C.- 24 A.D.), philosophical work of 淮南子 (Huainan Zi ) in Xi Han Dynasty, 思玄赋 (Xixuan Fu) by 张衡 (Zhang Heng) in Dong Han Dynasty (25-220 A.D.), 洛神赋 (Luo Shen Fu) written by曹植 (Cao Zhi) is the most highly praised. To those of you who know a thing or two about The Romance of the Three Kingdoms (220-280 A.D.), 曹植 is a beloved son of 曹操(Cao Cao). It took a professional team 26 hours to shoot this video and the dancer, who is also a professional swimmer, had to surface every 50 seconds or so for air to finish the whole dance. Please don’t copy her UNLESS YOUR SAFETY CAN BE GUARANTEED.

Kumata

Country flag
Is it true that in China, outsiders are described as barbaric people but outside of China they don't seem much civilised themselves? I hope the Indians don't do that. We got a little less money so hopefully we don't.

I had the misfortune of flying with these Chinese tourists from Heathrow to DXB once on emirates. Perhaps my worst flight so far due to co passengers. it was torture to be near them .. few started jumping on seats , talking to each other at high pitch .. both on opposite of Aisle.. as soon as Jumbo took off. Seat belts means little to them . Language is like thousand mouse in a cramped space... chau chau chau chau chau chau...

In the end , requested the Air hostess to help me with extra shots of Gin, got Drunk , put on the ear plugs and Slept like a drunkard for whole duration of flight.

real drama happened when we landed. Morons took off as soon as it landed while plane was moving on tarmac. Staff had to use some strong language to control them and send back to seats!!!!!!

rockdog

Country flag
I had the misfortune of flying with these Chinese tourists from Heathrow to DXB once on emirates. Perhaps my worst flight so far due to co passengers. it was torture to be near them .. few started jumping on seats , talking to each other at high pitch .. both on opposite of Aisle.. as soon as Jumbo took off. Seat belts means little to them . Language is like thousand mouse in a cramped space... chau chau chau chau chau chau...

In the end , requested the Air hostess to help me with extra shots of Gin, got Drunk , put on the ear plugs and Slept like a drunkard for whole duration of flight.

real drama happened when we landed. Morons took off as soon as it landed while plane was moving on tarmac. Staff had to use some strong language to control them and send back to seats!!!!!!

Reverse Swing: The great Indian wheelchair trick

I had similiar experiences when i was in EU airport for such kind of Indian wheelchair trick.

Not only me, there are lots of dicussion on our Chinese forum, even in Chinese airport.

11.png

234.jpg

Some Indian used this trick in Shanghai Pudong airport, the staff just kick him out of whealchair.

Last edited:

lixun

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
v2-468d0df4a296eeb84e098276a78c7042_hd.jpg

I write about one of my favorite foods, crayfish, summer night, I will order dozens of skewers of grilled lamb with my friends at the roadside stalls, order edamame, order crayfish, order gluten , Drinking beer with ice, spending my whole youth
8601a18b87d6277f8bdedc778cc29d36eb24fcb6.jpeg

55e736d12f2eb93863bfcfcbde628535e5dd6f3d.jpg

Kumata

Country flag
Reverse Swing: The great Indian wheelchair trick

I had similiar experiences when i was in EU airport for such kind of Indian wheelchair trick.

Not only me, there are lots of dicussion on our Chinese forum, even in Chinese airport.

View attachment 95236

View attachment 95237

Some Indian used this trick in Shanghai Pudong airport, the staff just kick him out of whealchair.
Yeah this do happens sporadically.. Majorly by elders who had difficulty in communicating and cannot navigates & read signs on big airport.. Ofcourse they pay for these services.

It is still better than throwing hot water on poor hostess...and ruckus creating bat munchers who are infamous....

Another thing is food... They typically throw themselves at free food as If they have never eaten in whole life...

Tactical Doge

𝕱𝖔𝖔𝖑𝖘 𝖗𝖚𝖘𝖍 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖆𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖑𝖘 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗
Country flag
Yeah this do happens sporadically.. Majorly by elders who had difficulty in communicating and cannot navigates & read signs on big airport.. Ofcourse they pay for these services.

It is still better than throwing hot water on poor hostess...and ruckus creating bat munchers who are infamous....

Another thing is food... They typically throw themselves at free food as If they have never eaten in whole life...
Well
Let me narrate my incident
Had encountered a Chinese couple at Allapuzha
They had some trouble booking ticket for the boat, the man was very well behaved, spoke decent English and talked at the ticket counter in a cool and calm manner, but gawdd was the lady rude
She started speaking Chinese which nobody knows a word down here, started spewing out 100 words/minute
She created such a ruckus that the Man had to take her away

Global Defence

New threads

Articles