Chinese Armored Vehicles

warzone

Re: New light tank for operating on the Tibetan Plateau

What would be the employment and tactics of light tank you visualise?

The Sino China border is high altitude. Which part is muddy and choppy?
Simple. First, don't use your belly against enemy's spearhead, so don't use light armor but other force to attack anti-armor team in your case.
Second, Search Himalaya Mountains then you know.

Warz

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I have walked the Himalayas and have not seen mud.

Have seen areas which are high and only some places of tank runs.

You stated where not to use Light Armour.

I asked where would Light Armour be used.

That is what you have avoided.

warzone

I have walked the Himalayas and have not seen mud.

Have seen areas which are high and only some places of tank runs.

You stated where not to use Light Armour.

I asked where would Light Armour be used.

That is what you have avoided.
I am not avoiding here, but you didn't give any specific scenarios before. Under your previous case, if you insist using light armor to fight anti-tank team then use it. Finally, you remember it's hilly and you talked there too?:thumb:
Since you walked Himalayas, then put some photos(you must have) showing the terrain, routes and towns you have traveled, so we can discuss.

WarZ

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I am not avoiding here, but you didn't give any specific scenarios before. Under your previous case, if you insist using light armor to fight anti-tank team then use it. Finally, you remember it's hilly and you talked there too?:thumb:
Since you walked Himalayas, then put some photos(you must have) showing the terrain, routes and towns you have traveled, so we can discuss.

WarZ
I have in no way mentioned the Light Armour is to be in an Anti Tank role.

It can never be so, as anyone who has been in the Army would know.

I was not a trekker when I walked the Himalayas or on an adventure trip that I when around taking photos.

I did it as a part of my profession.

Check my avatar. That is also taken when I was in the Himalayas.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

I was not a trekker when I walked the Himalayas or on an adventure trip that I when around taking photos.

Would an article on "Why Light Armour is unsuitable in an Anti Tank role" be of interest, or is the subject too obvious?

I think of the M551, which was replace by the BGM-71

M551 Sheridan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The M551 Sheridan was a light tank developed by the United States and named after Civil War General Philip Sheridan. It was designed to be landed by parachute and to swim across rivers. It was armed with the technically advanced but troublesome M81/M81E1 152mm gun/launcher which fired conventional ammunition and the MGM-51 Shillelagh guided anti-tank missile.

warzone

Well, which part you don't understand? In your limited scenario, you neither user your armor to fight anti-tank team or accept my answer hiding your armor.
It's a nice photo though, and where is it(town name) and when was it taken? If you had been to Himalayas then show us some travel routes and any other photos showing where you walked. Or you have never been to there.
Last, there's nothing to do with your talking and your profession, unless more details can be provided.

WarZ

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Well, which part you don't understand? In your limited scenario, you neither user your armor to fight anti-tank team or accept my answer hiding your armor.
It's a nice photo though, and where is it(town name) and when was it taken? If you had been to Himalayas then show us some travel routes and any other photos showing where you walked. Or you have never been to there.
Last, there's nothing to do with your talking and your profession, unless more details can be provided.

WarZ
i don't require to provide you with photos or anything else since those who know me here, know me for what I have done and what was my profession.

It is not the right forum to indicate where one has travelled and why.

As far as Tank warfare or warfare is concerned, it is adequate to state I have fought wars, which is also known out here.

BHARAT RAKSHAK MONITOR - Volume 6(5) March April 2004

Have a look at the link WG Ewald has appended.

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
As far as Tank warfare or warfare is concerned, it is adequate to state I have fought wars, which is also known out here.

BHARAT RAKSHAK MONITOR - Volume 6(5) March April 2004

Article is by Brig. (r) S. K. Raychaudhuri VSM.

Vishisht Seva Medal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vishisht Seva Medal (or VSM) is a decoration of the Indian Armed forces. It is awarded to recognize "distinguished service of an exceptional order" to all ranks of the Indian armed forces.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Type-96/98/90 etc, More or less same thing from design aspect ..

And that is PRC design made with Pakisthani Raw material ? Do you have internal layout of explosive of yours ERA tiles ?

Correction:This is Type-90IIM a.k.a MBT 2000, not Type-96

Pakistan does not use Chinese ERA on AK anymore, rather indigenous Aorak series

Dazzler

Type-96/98/90 etc, More or less same thing from design aspect ..

And that is PRC design made with Pakistani Raw material ? Do you have internal layout of explosive of yours ERA tiles ?

Type-96 is improved Type-85 series

Type-90 was developed as the first Third gen mbt, has offsprings as Type-98/ 99 series, they even shared same FCS/ GCS an optics. AK is a development of Type-90IIM, not type-85/ 96.

Pakistani composite armour and ERA developed by AARDIC with Ukrainian assistance. More info can be found on this thread.

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...-mbt-2000-main-battle-tank-62.html#post681099

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
This doesn't answered what i asked , Does basic turret geometry has drastic difference ? no..

Rest is irrelevant ..

Type-96 is improved Type-85 series

Type-90 was developed as the first Third gen mbt, has offsprings as Type-98/ 99 series, they even shared same FCS/ GCS an optics. AK is a development of Type-90IIM, not type-85/ 96.

Pakistani composite armour and ERA developed by AARDIC with Ukrainian assistance. More info can be found on this thread.

Dazzler

This doesn't answered what i asked , Does basic turret geometry has drastic difference ? no..

Rest is irrelevant ..
It is quite relevant, all type-9xx variant s have more or less similar turret layout but there is a world of difference.
If u were willing to learn, u wouldn't have said this. Considering your anology, t-90 is just a t-72 since it is essentially a t-72 b variant right?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Irrelevant first, Now seems to be more on truth..

I dont have spare time to educate you, Perhaps @Damian can shed more light into your analogy about T-72B and T-90S ( Present variant ) turret design..

1.It is quite relevant, all type-9xx variant s have more or less similar turret layout but

2. If u were willing to learn, u wouldn't have said this. Considering your analogy ( Never said not mine ) , t-90 is just a t-72 since it is essentially a t-72 b variant right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dazzler

Irrelevant first, Now seems to be more on truth..

I dont have spare time to educate you, Perhaps @Damian can shed more light into your analogy about T-72B and T-90S ( Present variant ) turret design..
I was looking to offer you some extra classes ;)

Anyway,

this is AK's ERA produced by AARDIC, two generations are developed and deployed on AK and AZ, third is in development,,

Last edited by a moderator:

Damian

Well, the fact is that turret geometry in Chinese tanks is not the best over there, there main reason in my opinion is the front armor design in form of bolt on modules. This meaks two things, first is the mentioned geometry and second is an air gap inside armor module for installation bolts. This air gap reduces the usefull volume for composite armor, and this is rather significant amount of volume wasted for air. Take a note that the newest Chinese tanks like ZTZ-99A2 and MBT-3000 do not have such armor modules but more classic semi-modular design in form of armor inserts placed in welded armor cavity being integral to turret structure.

In case of T-90, the original T-90 used the same turret as T-72B.

As we can see the side armor here is completely covered by front armor withing 60 degrees frontal arc.

Improved T-90's the T-90A, new T-90S etc, have new better turret welded from rolled plates, but the idea is same.

Western tanks have simpler geometry, this is why to provide good protection withing 60 degrees frontal arc they have thick composite armor not only at turret front but also sides.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
They also have turret roof issue which is inclined at front Armour..

Similar design have been observed in most Chinese tanks expect very new series of Type-99..

Well, the fact is that turret geometry in Chinese tanks is not the best over there, there main reason in my opinion is the front armor design in form of bolt on modules.

Dazzler

They also have turret roof issue which is inclined at front Armour..

Similar design have been observed in most Chinese tanks expect very new series of Type-99..
Tueet roof is exposed on most Type-99 variants accept A2 version, AK also has turret roof ERA installed.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles