Chinese-American techboss denies inventing Cultural Revolution horror

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Chinese-American tech boss Ping Fu denies inventing Cultural Revolution horrors

She survived a childhood of persecution and brutality during China's Cultural Revolution to become a US technology high-flyer, award-winning entrepreneur, guest at the White House and adviser to the Obama administration.

So it was little surprise that when Ping Fu published her memoirs last year, the searing account of how she was seized from her family at eight, gang-raped at 10 and then forced into exile after investigating infanticide of baby girls was acclaimed by critics and readers.

But Miss Fu is now the target of a vitriolic and sustained onslaught from Chinese Internet users who are accusing her of invention and exaggeration in Bend, Not Break: A Life in Two Worlds -- its title drawn from a proverb about the resilience of bamboo in buffeting winds.

At a time when American news organisations, the internet giant Google and even US government agencies suspect they have been targeted by Chinese computer hackers, Miss Fu has found herself on the vituperative frontline of cyber hostilities between China and the West.

"I am living the title of the book," the chief executive of Geomagic, a 3-D imaging technology business, told The Sunday Telegraph in an often-tearful interview.

"I was shell-shocked when the attacks started. I felt I was right back to being the eight-year-old without a voice in a denunciation session, being forced to face public humiliation, being called all sorts of names.

"But however hurt and sad I am, I realise that I am not eight, I am not in China and that I am speaking out for all those little girls who are abused and still don't have a voice."

Not the first memoirist to be challenged about the accuracy of a narrative, Miss Fu, 54, a divorced mother of a teenage daughter, has acknowledged some mistakes over dates and one incident she recounted in a media interview. "But I am not writing a history book, I am telling my story and this my life and what shaped it," she said.

Indeed, some China-watchers believe that she is the subject of a co-ordinated campaign to discredit her by nationalist online activists who have taken her story as a sleight on an entire nation.

The attacks are intense. The sales website Amazon has been flooded by one-star reviews (the lowest possible) for her book; some critics have accused her of falsifying her story to win residency illegally in the US; her Wikipedia page entry has been hacked; and insulting emails were sent to a potential business partner.

Most hurtful were accusations she had invented a gang rape when she was a child by critics who insisted that such attacks do not happen in China.
"I was being the victimised as the 'broken shoe' again," she said, referring to a term of abuse often used for prostitutes that was applied to her by a particular tormenter in the wake of the brutal sexual assault.

"Who are they to tell me this never happened, that these things don't happen in China? I have the scars. I know what was done to me."

The broadsides began after a Forbes magazine interview with Miss Fu suffered some "lost in translation" interpretations when it appeared in Chinese, she said, most notably, that she wrote about children in labour camps -- something that does not appear in her book.

But Zhouzi Fang, an influential Chinese blogger and campaigner against alleged academic fraud, then began trawling through her book and previous interviews and identified what he said were a series of discrepancies and fabrications.

Notably, he seized on a radio interview in 2010, the year in which Miss Fu's profile in America reached new heights after she was invited as a guest by First Lady Michelle Obama to attend the president's state of the union speech.

In that interview, she described witnessing a public quartering during the Cultural Revolution by horsemen dragging their victim apart in four directions. Mr Fang noted that there had been no other claims of such executions being conducted in China.

Miss Fu now says that she believes that as a young child, she had confused tales told to her of barbarity in old China with the brutality she witnessed and experienced after the Cultural Revolution was unleashed by Mao's Red Guards in 1966.

But Mr Fang and his online followers have also scorned the plausibility of Miss Fu's account of how she came to move to America penniless in 1984.
As a child, she said, her father, a university professor, and her mother, an accountant, were sent to the countryside for "re-education", leaving her to care for herself, raise her younger sister and spend eight years working in a factory.

She then describes how she was forced apart from her family a second time when she was forced out by the regime as punishment for writing a college paper, during what she had thought was a time of post-Mao liberalisation, about the one-child policy which effectively led to girl infanticide in rural areas where some parents killed their first-borns if they were not boys.

Miss Fu said he was arrested on campus, bundled into the back of a police car with a black bag over her head, and later told she must leave the country without making a fuss. The essay, she said she later discovered, was passed by tutor to a Chinese newspaper which wrote an editorial calling for greater gender equality on the basis of its contents.

Amid all the controversy and casting of doubt, the reality of course is that this era in China was one where public records are minimal. But not even her fiercest critics can dispute her stellar academic and professional career since she arrived in the US aged 26 in 1984 for a college course arranged through family connections.

After working for Bell Labs and at the National Centre for Supercomputing Applications, she and her then husband set up Geomagic in 1997. She was named by Inc magazine in 2005 as its entrepreneur of the year and she joined the National Advisory Council on innovation and entrepreneurship in 2010.

So successful was this career that Miss Fu as initially commissioned to write a business book, but she said that when she started on the project, she realised that she could not describe how she makes decisions now without explaining the importance of her past on her life.

Adrian Zackheim, the head of Portfolio Penguin, the book's publisher, told The Sunday Telegraph that the company was standing whole-heartedly by Miss Fu and her memoir.

"It is a wonderful book and she is an admirable person and I am very proud to be her publisher," he said. "This is a memoir, it is her story, it is not investigative journalism.

"Memoirs are often least reliable when they cover the early years of childhood, but I have no doubt of its overall credibility."

For Miss Fu, there is no little irony that she has exposed herself to these tirades after writing a story that even her own mother wished she had left untold.

"Gang-rape is still a taboo in China," she said. "I am a single mother and my mother said to me: 'Don't you want to marry again? Why do you need to tell this?'"

But Miss Fu said she had no regrets that she had chosen to tell her story. "In the end, I wanted to show how love, compassion and generosity can lead to a better life.

"This is not an attack on China. Just as a mass shooting does not define America, my history does not define China.

"I'm human, not perfect, if I mixed up some dates, I will correct them. I would appreciate instructive feedback, but this is not that.

"You don't have to believe me or like it or read it. But this is my story, my life, and who are these people to bully me while they hide behind the Internet?"

Chinese-American tech boss Ping Fu denies inventing Cultural Revolution horrors - Telegraph

China does not forgive those who tell anything about China that is not laudatory or fitting into the campaign of showcasing, even if it is the truth.

It is ludicrous to believe that China is morally purer than snow or the snow on Mt Etna! Oh yes, the Chinese would say, rape, let alone gang rapes never happen in China! Totally infantile jingoism!

A close study of this article will indicate the malaise that afflicts China, but you will never learn about them from the Chinese.

The weave a web of pink clouds to dazzle themselves into a moralistic and jingoistic stupor.

All the fault of the British and their Opium War whereby there has been some genetic mutation?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Re: ChineseAmerican tech boss denies inventing Cultural Revolution ho

Note Homosexuality never happens ion China as they are morally ever so pure and yet.............

Gay teen in shelter seeks peace with family

THIS year was the first time that 16-year-old Wang Jiahua spent the Spring Festival holiday alone. The boy said he had to leave home under pressure from his parents, teachers and classmates after they found out he is gay.

For a long time, homosexuality has been taboo in China. Gay people face pressure, criticism and discrimination from society, with some calling them abnormal. Wang is no exception.

Even though he had conflicts with his family and friends, he decided to buy a train ticket to his home in Panyu in Guangdong Province for a Spring Festival family reunion.

Before he could buy a ticket, he had his wallet stolen at an Internet cafe and lost all his cash, more than 3,000 yuan (US$483).

On a chilly night in late January, the boy stepped into the rescue station in the Pudong New Area, asking for help.

However, his father refused to pick Wang up to take him back home after staff members of the station contacted him.

The boy said he found he had a different sexual orientation about a year ago after he realized he had a special affection toward a male classmate. He said he was afraid and searched online for an answer.

He became convinced he is gay. At the same time, his secret was uncovered by his classmates and parents.

"My father kept educating and persuading. My mother scolded me continuously. My classmates stopped talking with me and my teachers asked my parents to make me drop out," said Wang, who is a single child.

He started leaving home for days at a time as things became unbearable. Finally, he could not take it anymore.

"I can no longer bear the great pressure and I was not understood," he said. "I made my family members feel pain and disgraced them, thus they dislike me."

Wang said he was lost, but he had made up his mind to stick to his path. "I was born with it, and I cannot change the fact. Happy or painful, I choose to be faithful to my heart."

He said he had a boyfriend, but they broke up.

Wang traveled to Shanghai in October and found a job as a waiter at a local restaurant.

At the shelter, he was silent and declined to discuss his plight. But workers at the station said he was a good boy. Wang was polite and always helped workers clean up rooms and prepare meals. He played a role of "brother" among other children at the station.

After he was transferred to the Shanghai Rescue Station, Wang had a good Chinese New Year's Eve dinner. He had no family around, only three homeless people, all strangers who had no choice but to stay at the station like him.

"I miss home," Wang said sadly.

"Wang is smart, good-tempered and modest," said Guo Ju, a worker at the station. Guo was confused as to why Wang did not study, left home and his parents rejected him.

He tried to open Wang's heart but failed again and again.

"It is not uncommon that disobedient children leave home after quarreling with parents, but parents usually rush to take their children back home," Guo said.

His care and patience gradually won the trust of Wang. The teen told him his secret.

"I don't want to be disliked, but I thought 'Uncle Guo' would understand," Wang said.

Guo kept silent for a while after learning the story.

"It would be very difficult for me to accept the fact if my son were gay," Guo said.

He suggested Wang go back to school first and avoid conflict with his parents.

"Love should not affect your normal life," he told Wang.

Guo called for more tolerance from the society.

"We hope parents and teachers can give more tolerance and care for this group of children and create a healthy environment for their growth," he said.

Wang said he will go home before the Lantern Festival on February 24 with a ticket bought by the station workers.

He hopes to work as a disc jockey in the future. "I will try to get along with my family members," Wang said.

Gay teen in shelter seeks peace with family -- Shanghai Daily | 上海日报 -- English Window to China New

For a long time, homosexuality has been taboo in China.

Taboo true, but existence never accepted!

nimo_cn

Country flag

The existence of homosexuality in China has been well documented since ancient times. According to a one study, homosexuality in China was regarded as a normal facet of life in China, prior to the Western impact of 1840 onwards.[1] However, this has been disputed.[2] Many early Chinese emperors are speculated to have had homosexual relationships, accompanied by heterosexual ones.[3] Opposition to homosexuality and the rise of homophobia, according to the study by Hinsch, did not become firmly established in China until the 19th and 20th centuries, through the Westernization efforts of the late Qing Dynasty and early Republic of China.[4] On the other hand, Gulik's influential study argued that the Mongol Yuan dynasty introduced a more ascetic attitude to sexuality in general.[5][6] It is also argued that the classical Chinese were unable to express homosexuality in a coherent and empathetic manner."[2][7] Thus, it may remain for further research to determine the question of whether homophobic attitudes in Modern China can be significantly attributed to the entrance of Western attitudes into China, or whether opposition was merely not expressed in a coherent manner. Either way, it is indisputable that Sodomy was banned in the People's Republic of China, until it was legalized in 1997. In 2001, homosexuality was removed from the official list of mental illnesses in China.[8]

Homosexuality in China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

gardenorange

This controversy is a very good thing. From this case, many Chinese understand how the western media demonize China, and realize the fact that many western people are actually brainwashed paranoids.

nimo_cn

Country flag
just because you edited my post doesnt mean you can hide the horrible truth about homosexuality in India, i will repost what was deleted by you.

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2

redragon

Country flag

That woman is a bitch trying to grab money by catering what western people want. She is a lier

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

This controversy is a very good thing. From this case, many Chinese understand how the western media demonize China, and realize the fact that many western people are actually brainwashed paranoids.
Ping Fu is not a western brainwashed person.

She is Chinese!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Re: ChineseAmerican techboss denies inventing Cultural Revolution hor

just because you edited my post doesnt mean you can hide the horrible truth about homosexuality in India, i will repost what was deleted by you.

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2
Who edited your post?

I find that there has been no editing.

So what are you whimpering about?

As usual whine without reason so as to play the martyr and deflect?

Crosseyed?

In India, one's sex orientation has never been an issue right from historical times.

We are a very tolerant race - :Live and Let Live.

BTW, Homosexuality is not a crime in India, in case you did not know.

Last edited:

nimo_cn

Country flag

Who edited your post?

I find that there has been no editing.

So what are you whimpering about?

As usual whine without reason so as to play the martyr and deflect?

Crosseyed?

In India, one's sex orientation has never been an issue right from historical times.

We are a very tolerant race - :Live and Let Live.

BTW, Homosexuality is not a crime in India, in case you did not know.
Thank you for letting me know who censored my post.

Just as I promised, I will repost what had been deleted from my post.

Homosexuality is generally considered a taboo subject by both Indian civil society and the government. Homophobia is prevalent in India.[1][2] Public discussion of homosexuality in India has been inhibited by the fact that sexuality in any form is rarely discussed openly. In recent years, however, attitudes towards homosexuality have shifted slightly. In particular, there have been more depictions and discussions of homosexuality in the Indian news media[3][4][5] and by Bollywood.[6] On 2 July 2009, the Delhi High Court decriminalised homosexual intercourse between consenting adults, and this new stand of decriminalisation is applicable throughout the territory of India,[7][8] where Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code was adjudged to violate the fundamental right to life and liberty and the right to equality as guaranteed by the Constitution of India.[9]

Homosexuality in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Interesting to know that homosexuality has been a taboo in India and wasn't decrimilized until 2009. So yes, homosexuality is a crime in India.

Homosexuality: Still CONSIDERED a crime in India
Homosexuality: Still CONSIDERED a crime in India - Rediff Getahead
It was during the British rule that Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code criminalised consensual sexual acts of adults of the same sex in private, terming it as "against the order of nature". This law continued till December 2002 when New Delhi-based NGO Naz India filed a PIL challenging the Penal Code. Seven years later, in 2009, the Delhi High Court struck down the provision holding that "it violated the fundamental right to life and liberty and the right to equality as guaranteed in the Constitution".

But Section 377 continues to apply in the case of sex involving minors and coercive sex.

Last edited:

nimo_cn

Country flag

Someone just swore to me that "In India, one's sex orientation has never been an issue right from historical times." and "Homosexuality is not a crime in India"

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag

Interesting to know that homosexuality has been a taboo in India and wasn't decrimilized until 2009. So yes, homosexuality is a crime in India.

:lawl:

India's history can be traced back to Prehistoric Era (500 thousand years ago).
It was in 1860 when homosexuality was made a crime (colonial law). The Englishman Thomas Macaulay who while drawing up a civil code to supplant India's ancient laws decided that "whoever voluntarily has carnal intercourse against the order of nature with any man, woman or animal shall be punished with imprisonment". and Indians couldn't do a ---- about it because they were being colonized by christian fanatic Bri turds.

It took India's attorney general G. Vahnavati to expose that position, at the UN Human Rights Council. In 2008, Vahnavati told the Council: "Around the early 19th century, you probably know that in England they frowned on homosexuality, and therefore there are historical reports that various people came to India to take advantage of its more liberal atmosphere with regard to different kinds of sexual conduct.
"As a result, in 1860 when we got the Indian Penal Code, which was drafted by Macaulay, they inserted Section 377 which brought in the concept of 'sexual offences against the order of nature'.
(Link):tsk:

Hinduism is a pragmatic religion which understands everything as being conditioned by time, place and circumstance. Although deviation from heterosexual theme of marriage was not approved but was tolerated as a social phenomena because it is part of Nature (प्रकृति).
Homosexuality was never criminalized in India rather it was an integral part :

Kama Sutra: On Homosexuality
There are two kinds of eunuchs, those that are disguised as males, and those that are disguised as females. Eunuchs disguised as females imitate their dress, speech, gestures, tenderness, timidity, simplicity, softness and bashfulness. The acts that are done on the jaghana or middle parts of women, are done in the mouths of these eunuchs, and this is called Auparishtaka. These eunuchs derive their imaginable pleasure, and their livelihood from this kind of congress, and they lead the life of courtesans. So much concerning eunuchs disguised as females.
Read More Here : Link-1 and Link-2

Manusmriti (Law Book of Medival and Ancient India) : (Link)

A relief at the Khajuraho Temple showing a monk giving fellatio to a visiting Prince
Homosexuality in the Vedas:
The Vedas are the source Scriptures of Hinduism and are considered to be timeless and not composed by any author (not even by God Himself!). Dating by modern scholars of these ancient Sanskrit texts range from 4000 BCE to 1000 BCE. Whatever be the case for the literary antiquity of these texts it is more important to consider their meaning and function in the Hindu world view.

A rishi performing oral sex on a princely visitor — temple sculpture

The Vedas are considered to be the source of, and infallible authority regarding knowledge of the Absolute (Brahman) and in all matters pertaining to Right Ethical Living (Dharma).

But the Vedas deal with Dharma in its pure abstract form — the function of the latter sages and law-givers was to interpret this usage of Dharma in the context of society and social dynamics of the time.

Homosexuality is not mentioned per se in the Vedas but there are some interesting references to homo-eroticism. One is from the Kaushitaki Brahmana Upanishad 2:4 of the Rig Veda:—

"Now then the intense longing of love stimulated by the gods. When one (m) desires to be loved (priya) by a man or a woman or by men and women, he shall offer to the above mentioned gods oblations in the sacred fire".

This is followed by the description of the ceremony to be performed. Another casual reference is from the Shatapatha Brahmana (2:4:4: 19): in which Mitra — the god of the day is said to implant his seed in Varuna the god of the night on the New Moon day.
So Homosexuality was never a Taboo in India :lol:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Re: Chinese-American techboss denies inventing Cultural Revolution ho

The thread is being derailed. It is not about homosexuality. It is about oppression of Chinese people and communist crimes against humanity during Cultural Revolution. The history of that time is not in question; Ping Fu is not the only its only chronicler.

mylegend

The thread is being derailed. It is not about homosexuality. It is about oppression of Chinese people and communist crimes against humanity during Cultural Revolution. The history of that time is not in question; Ping Fu is not the only its only chronicler.
Cultural Revolution was indeed a crime against humanity. However, Fu Ping's contains many suspicious detail. For instance, it is impossible for political dissident of the time to take college entrance exam when it was reopened. I would list the some of detail that is strongly indicate untruthfulness.

1. She was a red guard herself instead of political prisoner like she indicate in the book. In a photo she have previously provide to US media, you would see her red guard badge.

2. Every student was being send to factory and farm during cultural revolution, and factory is being consider as the much more prestigious than farm. You can double check the fact by simply Google it.

3.She said one of the her favorite hang out place during her childhood in Shanghai is an abandoned airport, however, there was no abandoned airport in shanghai at the time.

4.She claims that the Red guard throw her alone into a train that deport her away from Shanghai to Nanjing, and as soon as she arrived there was red guard waiting for her. This can not be true, because given difficulties to coordinating the detail from two area at the period, and red guard being mostly young student, it was impossible. Long term communication require long distance phone and telegraph, both of which were very difficult to access and rare at the time.

etc/

Many others parts of the book consist of detail that can not withstand itself. However, there is many part impossible to disputed such as her mentioning of she being gang rape as a child. There is no way verified whether it was fiction or truth, because no other witness have came out.

P.S. Cultural Revolution is a crime against humanity, this is part I will never attempt to dispute. CCP should paid for the crime it has commit to China.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Thank you for letting me know who censored my post.

Just as I promised, I will repost what had been deleted from my post.
Typical Chinese mode of active negativity.

None has edited your post since one does not take the leader of the 50 cents seriously.

You see editing when one is there, as if you are some sort of a person who is worth mooning over!

Do disabuse that notion.

You are just one of the posters around!

Homosexuality: Still CONSIDERED a crime in India - Rediff Getahead
The laws are British that was applicable.

It was never enforced.

It is natural that it was repealed.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

That is what should be discussed.

But will our good Mao - Deng class allow it?

But then oppression during the Cultural Revolution is hardly a subject that appeals to the noveau riche of China.

As usual they would prefer to bury it deep and then after a while when the issue gets blurred, 're-invent' history and show everything in favourable light!

You can't beat the Chinese in the disingenuous ways to act cute!

Example:

Note how cute one is getting without knowing a sausage about the issue:

Someone just swore to me that "In India, one's sex orientation has never been an issue right from historical times." and "Homosexuality is not a crime in India"
Apollyon at Post #11 has indicated what is history and the poster has himself/ herself has mentioned the British law which was introduced.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

About atrocities during the Imperial Times to the Cultural Revolution and so on is very vividly narrated by Jung Chang in her book WILD SWANS.

It is a story about her own family, spanning a century and three generations.

It was banned in China.

I presume she is a 'revisionist' and a 'capitalist roader'.

I don't know the latest terminology they use for those they do not like and those who do not appeal to their jingoistic flavour that all is well in China and there is nothing that is being done which is crippling the individualism!

Even their first two satellites on 20 MHz transmitted the tune East is Red (Dong Fang Hung).

They cannot think beyond their own little world and think that is the world! Everything is in the pink clouds smelling of roses!

http://www.svengrahn.pp.se/sounds/CHINA1.mp3

Last edited:

gardenorange

Ping Fu is not a western brainwashed person.

She is Chinese!
Ray, I don't want to debate with you upon this. You can visit the Amazon website and will see many comments from those who experienced the cultural revolution. Many of them are American nationality already. I don't think the Chinese government can control them easily.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Ray, I don't want to debate with you upon this. You can visit the Amazon website and will see many comments from those who experienced the cultural revolution. Many of them are American nationality already. I don't think the Chinese government can control them easily.
Haven't understood.

What do they say?

That there was no atrocities during the Cultural Revolution?

gardenorange

Haven't understood.

What do they say?

That there was no atrocities during the Cultural Revolution?
I believe no one, at least among the Chinese members in this forum, tried to deny the presence of atrocity in the Cultural Revolution. However, the presence of atrocity shall not be used as excuse to tell lies. For example, Ms Fu claimed that she witnessed the killing of several hundred baby girls. But how could she achieve to do this in a short time as a college student, since if there were baby-girl killings, it was very rare and should have been done very secretly since it may incur a death penalty? Overstating the miseries doesn't help the people understand the mistakes we made in that period of time in a so-called autobiography, not a fiction, please remember.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

I believe no one, at least among the Chinese members in this forum, tried to deny the presence of atrocity in the Cultural Revolution. However, the presence of atrocity shall not be used as excuse to tell lies. For example, Ms Fu claimed that she witnessed the killing of several hundred baby girls. But how could she achieve to do this in a short time as a college student, since if there were baby-girl killings, it was very rare and should have been done very secretly since it may incur a death penalty? Overstating the miseries doesn't help the people understand the mistakes we made in that period of time in a so-called autobiography, not a fiction, please remember.
This is the same line of argument taken by the Japanese over the Nanking incident.

It is so difficult to know who is right.

What you say is plausible and in the same way, there are people who think the Japanese view is also plausible.

It is so difficult to know the truth after so many years of the incidents.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles